Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Games that distract us from making music

Having an iPhone/iPad for making music is wonderful! However, certain games seem to get me distracted on a regular basis. My guilty pleasures the past few months have been Exiled Kingdoms and Incredibox.

Exiled Kingdoms RPG by 4 Dimension Games S.L.

Incredibox by So Far So Good

Comments

• TEKKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been waiting 8 or more years for it to come to ios. I am....unbeatable.............Sometimes...........Especially when I have Law. I rule with him, much more than I do at recording any music lately. lol.....

• Survival Run
    Amazing Breaker
    Blot
    One Epic Knight
    Color Ninja

• been having some fun with Swift Playgrounds... a game in a way, though somewhat challenging for me having never done any coding or website design or any of that.

• Man, just discovered they ported Baldur's Gate over to iOS...bye-bye, Life!

• Civilization VI. Oh lord.....

• Marvel Puzzle Quest

• Clash Royale

• On ios it was battle supremacy (online tank shooter) and heroes and castles 2 (building an army and survive waves of enemies).
    Nowadays its Battlefield 4 on the ps4 every evening a few hours.

• Eternium. Not very complex, but great fun and nice looking. More free levels than I’ve ever seen!

• Final Fantasy XV pocket edition

• edited March 2018

Not really a game but the single biggest culprit - YouTube!! I do more YouTube than watch TV or Netflix.

For programmers like me, games do not distract or intrigue (we know how they are coded) as much as serious data-based apps do.

Simulation apps - Aerofly FS 2, Infinite Flight, F-Sim Shuttle, Quadcopter FX (you don't need a real drone!).

Apple News app, Flipboard, Playgrounds, Udemy, TED, Inc, FileMaker, Amazon, eBay, AuctionSniper, Hompath FireFly, Nutrients, Netflix, DirecTV Now, Just Dance Now, Sing by Smule

At times I visit these games - Snakes and Ladders 3D Live, Vain Glory, 10 Pin Shuffle, tChess Pro, Rubik's Cube, Tron Legacy, Pinball HD, Table Tennis, Carrom, Pool Break, Frisbee, Agar.io, etc.

• edited March 2018

It seems like there was a short golden age for iOS games from like 2011-2014. Waking Mars, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery, 10000000, anything by Simogo (esp. Year Walk), Tiny Wings, Wayward Souls, Slayin, Michael Brough games (esp. 868-Hack), Mikey Shorts, Threes, Ridiculous Fishing, Puzzlejuice, Forget Me Not...I could go on.

The past few years seems to have dried up considerably as the market favors free to play stuff, and it seems like every other game is a ‘minimalistic’ puzzler or follows the Flappy Bird formula.

I don’t play games very much at all anymore, but there are times every couple months when I’ll want to pick one up for a change and be unable to even find something on the App Store or based on websites’ top reviews.

Maybe I’ve just gotten tired of video games, but my impression is that quality and innovation is severely lacking compared to when I first got an iPhone in 2012.

• @oat_phipps said:
    It seems like there was a short golden age for iOS games from like 2011-2014. Waking Mars, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery, 10000000, anything by Simogo (esp. Year Walk), Tiny Wings, Wayward Souls, Slayin, Forget Me Not...I could go on.

The past few years seems to have dried up considerably as the market favors free to play stuff, and it seems like every other game is a ‘minimalistic’ puzzler or follows the Flappy Bird formula.

I don’t play games very much at all anymore, but there are times every couple months when I’ll want to pick one up for a change and be unable to even find something on the App Store or based on websites’ top reviews.

Maybe I’ve just gotten tired of video games, but my impression is that quality and innovation is severely lacking compared to when I first got an iPhone in 2012.

Yep. This is why I built a Raspberry Pi and put over 5000 retro games on it.

• edited March 2018

Alto's Adventure - Relaxing
    Getting Over It - Good for people who don't give up easily because it's very difficult. I've started over (meaning the game has forced me back to the start) more times than I care to admit.

• Right now... Fortnite BR. It is absolutely incredible and it helps that all the kids are playing it, so it is a real blast. It is invite only and I've distributed my 3 codes. You sign up via Epic Games website and they'll send you an invite when it is ready.

• Discchord Tim cost me a year of music-making by introducing me to Hearthstone app.

• edited March 2018

I’m super, super into Flipflop Solitaire, Miracle Merchant, Meteorfall, and Card Thief. All of these games have different levels of feasibility with real cards — Miracle Merchant and Meteorfall could pretty easily be played with physical cards, whereas Card Thief is really only practical on a touchscreen. But they’re all amazing games with great artwork and wonderful developers.

My wife and I also just discovered Star Realms. It’s a light-strategy competitive card game that has a fantastic iOS port. I saw someone mention the “golden age” of iOS, which I can’t really dispute as far as “artsy indie darlings” go. Steam has become the go-to platform for most small developers. But there are still brand new experiences to be had, and iOS developers are still pushing tactile immersion to new heights.

Edit: it’s also worth noting that many developers are porting full-size PC games very successfully. All the attention this week has been on Fortnite and PUBG, which I don’t know anything about. But The Witness and Talos Principle both had fantastic iOS ports, which is amazing considering the scope of those games.

• @dvlmusic said:
    Civilization VI. Oh lord.....

Oooooh, is that different than Civilization Revolution? It is! Wait...$60?! Insanity...Guess I'll pass. :(

• Thumper: Pocket Edition by Drool LLC

• I’m too much of a gamer to actually have time for music...

So I’ve made a rule: NO GAMES ALLOWED ON IPAD PRO... (except a shogi board to play with friends)
    Games also eat space.

• I have never played a game on iPhone/iPad. Seriously.
    However, I am very likely to fall down a YouTube or Wiki rabbithole. Quite often.

• oh, almost forgot about Karate Champ! My son and I can play against each other with bluetooth. I used to kick his butt, now, the table's have turned.

• PUBG Mobile is my latest fave, until I get my Fortnite invite then I can compare and contrast. My first taste of Battle Royale gaming, I like.

I’ve played Hearthstone daily for literally years (not for hours at a time though) because ... I don’t know really ... it’s turned into a bit of a religion. Not recommended for new players, progression too slow unless you want to drop $ into it.

My first video game was way back in the early 80s on a ZX81 and I haven’t stopped playing since. For great iOS games I have a list a mile long, incredible something like Grid can be ported in more or less it’s entirity.

Music and gaming, two constants competing for my spare time that I’m not giving up.

• @oddSTAR said:

@dvlmusic said:
    Civilization VI. Oh lord.....

Oooooh, is that different than Civilization Revolution? It is! Wait...$60?! Insanity...Guess I'll pass. :(

When it first went on sale it was 50%, and I've owned and loved Civ on many many systems. I've paid as much for music apps, so all's fair... :smiley:

• Actually, iOS music has been distracting me from making games.

• @jrjulius said:
    I’m super, super into Flipflop Solitaire, Miracle Merchant, Meteorfall, and Card Thief. All of these games have different levels of feasibility with real cards — Miracle Merchant and Meteorfall could pretty easily be played with physical cards, whereas Card Thief is really only practical on a touchscreen. But they’re all amazing games with great artwork and wonderful developers.

My wife and I also just discovered Star Realms. It’s a light-strategy competitive card game that has a fantastic iOS port. I saw someone mention the “golden age” of iOS, which I can’t really dispute as far as “artsy indie darlings” go. Steam has become the go-to platform for most small developers. But there are still brand new experiences to be had, and iOS developers are still pushing tactile immersion to new heights.

Edit: it’s also worth noting that many developers are porting full-size PC games very successfully. All the attention this week has been on Fortnite and PUBG, which I don’t know anything about. But The Witness and Talos Principle both had fantastic iOS ports, which is amazing considering the scope of those games.

Yeah, I have noticed an increase in quality PC ports. I just feel those years and the games I mentioned were great because they were not as drastic in scope as PC games. They fell somewhere in between that and the current trend of one-note one-button score chasers. Their compactness just hit a sweet spot for me.

And yeah, they were ‘artsy indie darlings’, I know, I know, but they were some of the best games I’ve ever played on any system, and I’ve played a lot as someone who’s almost always chosen video games over TV & movies.

I’ll have to check out Card Thief. I didn’t like FlipFlop as much as Sage Solitaire, but I love that one, Really Bad Chess, and SpellTower.

• I deleted almost all games a while ago. Still have geometry wars(?) and xcom on there since I have almost finished those but they can be very distracting if you let them be...

• @qaratechop said:
    Thumper: Pocket Edition by Drool LLC

https://itunes.apple.com/pt/app/thumper-pocket-edition/id1287138671?l=en&mt=8

Yes, this one. It’s an impressive thing, and developed by the bass player from lightning bolt. It’s the only game I have on iOS, although I keep hoping for a port of everything:
    http://www.everything-game.com

• I still wait for the "console like" games since years but in general i find iOS devices terrible to play on.
    I mean they even destroyed Super Mario.
    I wonder where are all the new augmented reality games......is it forgotten already.
    Sorry, but these casual games are a trap and very fast boring. But via IAP it´s a goldmine for some of those companies.
    But i have yet to see one triple A game on iOS.