Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis/ Auria Pro Freeze Track Issue

When I freeze the track, it creates a new track and the Wav File is there, but when I play back the Wav File it sounds all garbled. This happens with AU or IAA Synths. Any ideas?

Comments

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    When I freeze the track, it creates a new track and the Wav File is there, but when I play back the Wav File it sounds all garbled. This happens with AU or IAA Synths. Any ideas?

Which iPad do you have. I had this problem on my Air1. On my iPad Pro it’s working fine.

It’s also helpful to know which synth you freezed. Some app sounds with many effects can garble easily.
    Use au rather than iaa

• Maybe it’s the FX? Try it without them, if you are using any. What sample rate are you working in? Are you playing the audio track in Cubasis right after freezing, or are you exporting and listening in another app?
    Also, any particular AU or IAA? I froze a plain Phasemaker track at 48k and it seemed fine playing it in Cubasis right after freezing it. I could try to replicate your situation if I have the apps you are using.

• Yeah it was Poison 202 AU and then removed it and added Z3TA and happened with either. Using iPad 2017 and latest OS at 44.1 24 bit project.

• The frozen track creates a neat Wav right next to the midi track but it plays back like garbled. I do have a lot of other tracks hosting Discord4 but those get muted when I freeze the track in issue.

• You should definitely enable real-time mixdown in the mixdown settings. I have this problem a lot with my first gen iPad Pro. Some instrument apps don’t handle the fast mixdown/freeze very well. If that doesn’t work, try messing around with the latency settings.

• edited March 2018

So if I enable realtime mixdown will it still go thru freeze or have to mixdown?
    Will try setting latency lower. I have it medium since I have 2 Zeeons and iSEM and Z+ loaded. That’s why I wanted to freeze.

• edited March 2018

It will freeze the track like it normally does, but it will take longer. If you’re freezing 2:30 minutes worth of midi, it will take 2:30 minutes to freeze the track, rather than 10-15 seconds like it did before. It usually results in cleaner audio. It gets rid of pops and clicks you hear from time to time.

• @ScottVanZandt said:
    You should definitely enable real-time mixdown in the mixdown settings. I have this problem a lot with my first gen iPad Pro. Some instrument apps don’t handle the fast mixdown/freeze very well. If that doesn’t work, try messing around with the latency settings.

Yes, I recall this being recommended before when having issues with freezing tracks. I believe the issue before was with freezing tracks that had plugins requiring transport info, like Replicant or Axon. Real -time mixdown option was recommended as a best workflow practice, in general

• Wow that’s a bummer big one actually. Was main reason I stayed away from Auria. But oh well can’t have it all then. Ok I’m staying positive at least it works :)

• @Lars is there a fix in the works? Thanks in advance.

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    @Lars is there a fix in the works? Thanks in advance.

Hi MusicMan4Christ,

Thanks for your message.

Depending on the plug-in, the use of external instruments and/or effects can bring several issues, that are unrelated to the host (not limited to Cubasis).

Currently, there is an iOS issue preventing host applications from rendering error-free mixdowns (same for Track Freeze) of instruments/effects that causes high CPU load.

Cubasis already provides a real-time mixdown/freeze option that improves the situation for some of these plug-ins. The next Cubasis update will include another workaround (AU mixdown compatibility mode located in setup), which is hopefully helpful until the issue gets addressed by Apple.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Hi MusicMan4Christ,

Thanks for your message.

Depending on the plug-in, the use of external instruments and/or effects can bring several issues, that are unrelated to the host (not limited to Cubasis).

Currently, there is an iOS issue preventing host applications from rendering error-free mixdowns (same for Track Freeze) of instruments/effects that causes high CPU load.

Cubasis already provides a real-time mixdown/freeze option that improves the situation for some of these plug-ins. The next Cubasis update will include another workaround (AU mixdown compatibility mode located in setup), which is hopefully helpful until the issue gets addressed by Apple.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
    Lars

On the ball as ever :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

Disable all fx and solo your track before you hit the freeze button. I have the same issue using Tardigrain and some other apps.

• Thanks Lars I really appreciate your response. And guys thanks for the great advise! I’m really enjoying Cubasis and all the addonbeffects packages! Wow it really is a superb DAW to get ideas flowing out of your mind into tracks! The linear flow just clicks with me.

@LFS said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Hi MusicMan4Christ,

Thanks for your message.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• There is the same issue with AU and Garageband mixdowns. No real time rendering options to avoid that.

• edited March 2018

This is what I was saying in the Cubasis vs Auria Pro thread: AUv3 just isn't fully reliable yet, in any iOS DAW. I've had issues in Auria and in Garageband, the workflow still has bugs and teething troubles. Some people seem to think these issues are isolated to Auria, but it just ain't so, it's very likely that Apple are responsible for a fair few of the bugs.

• @Proto said:
    Disable all fx and solo your track before you hit the freeze button. I have the same issue using Tardigrain and some other apps.

But how does that work? Do you mean disable all effects except on the track you are freezing?

• @richardyot said:
    This is what I was saying in the Cubasis vs Auria Pro thread: AUv3 just isn't fully reliable yet, in any iOS DAW. I've had issues in Auria and in Garageband, the workflow still has bugs and teething troubles. Some people seem to think these issues are isolated to Auria, but it just ain't so, it's very likely that Apple are responsible for a fair few of the bugs.

I am a surfer and we surfers like to use our political pull to protect beaches and other things. Is there any way we could start some kind of petition to get Apple to move faster on this stuff?

• @futureaztec said:

@Proto said:

But how does that work? Do you mean disable all effects except on the track you are freezing?

You only need to disable the insert and send FX's (if used) for the track you want to freeze.

• Wow this is really bad news
    Even tried to do bounce in Auria Pro and I don’t even get a Wav File just blank silence!
    Even if I do a mixdown and have AP reload the resulting Wav, same thing, blank Wav. Man this is not good.

• To be fair gonna rename thread cause its Auria too. :(

• Ok finally got it to work in Auria Pro but had to choose a different Synth. So Bounce in Place works in Auria Pro one just has to make sure you copy the midi track first otherwise it gets overwritten by the bounce in place. So for now AP is working better for this feauture although you have to try it on a synth by synth basis. I’ll try the mixdown and confirm.

• @futureaztec said:

@richardyot said:

I am a surfer and we surfers like to use our political pull to protect beaches and other things. Is there any way we could start some kind of petition to get Apple to move faster on this stuff?

I doubt it. Apple only seems to respond when their profits are in jeopardy. I look at how they handled the battery slowdown controversy and don’t expect much else from them.

We need to be a bigger share of their profit pool to get any attention from them, it seems.

• edited March 2018

@Lars was just wondering if this might help:

In AUM one has the ability to disconnect the Synth or whatever module one has inserted in a channel by just slightly sliding it to the left. This doesn’t get rid of the synth or effects module but just disconnects it. I wonder if doing something like this for Cubasis might help? Just thinking out loud.

But then again it might be a deeper issue relating to the OS rather than Cubasis. I’ll continie to see with trial and error which Synths are the ones that don’t work. Weird thing is the Poison 202 didn’t work in Cubasis but it did in Auria. Both as AU. I had to export my song as a midi file from Cubasis and imported it into Auria so I could test. But it definitely is a bug affecting both DAWs.

• edited March 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    So Bounce in Place works in Auria Pro one just has to make sure you copy the midi track first otherwise it gets overwritten by the bounce in place.

That's how Bounce In Place is supposed to work - if you want to preserve the MIDI track you should solo the track and do a mixdown (with the option to import as a new track) instead. Bounce In Place is meant as a destructive process: render to audio and remove all plugins.

• Yeah thanks, I found that out the hard way :D but I had a backup of the midi file :)

Weird thing is that it’s not working with some Synths while it is with others.

Z3TA doesn’t work unfortunately :(

@richardyot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    So Bounce in Place works in Auria Pro one just has to make sure you copy the midi track first otherwise it gets overwritten by the bounce in place.

That's how Bounce In Place is supposed to work - if you want to preserve the MIDI track you should solo the track and do a mixdown (with the option to import as a new track) instead. Bounce In Place is meant as a destructive process: render to audio and remove all plugins.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah thanks, I found that out the hard way :D but I had a backup of the midi file :)

Weird thing is that it’s not working with some Synths while it is with others.

Z3TA doesn’t work unfortunately :(

@richardyot said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Anything that fails on bounce or mixdown, you can try to record in realtime (similar to the Cubasis workaround).

1) Create a new audio track
    2) Put it in record mode, select 'Master' as its source.
    3) Temporally disable any master effects
    4) Solo the track you want to bounce
    5) Activate record mode
    6) Play the track through the section you want to bounce down

• edited March 2018

As I said GarageBand has this issue too and don’t render AU properly. So there are at least three daws affected. I don’t expect too much from Apple too, bug will be fixed in one or two year and will leave place to a new bug. Hardware is so good but they don’t take music seriously enough. I tend to almost everything in AUM and start to try to reintegrate Ableton Live in my iOS workflow.

• edited March 2018

@lars This is gotta be some really mysterious bug cause I just went back to Cubasis and on the same track changed instrument to Poison-202 AU and the Freeze went thru perfectly! Created the new track automatically and Wav played back perfectly! Well I did do some changes:

In project I changed the project from 24 bit to 16 bit.
    Disabled Large recording buffer option
    Hardware latency set to Medium
    Enabled Low waveform Quality

So I guess its a very interesting bug indeed.

• edited March 2018

Is it a confirmed iOS bug, or just a case of plugins not being tested with very large buffer sizes (e.g. for offline rendering), etc.?