Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove rider GR-16 question

Hi all! There’s a lot praises to GR-16 and I’m very curious but I have so many apps so I want find out if it’s what I need. When I make music my goal is always to make a song, I usually don’t jam just for fun. I’m a vocalist so I always have vocals in my songs. I want a tool to record loops rearrange them and finally add vocals. Is GR-16 want I need? Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2018

Yes, for tracks but not for complete song arrangements w vocals

• edited March 2018

@fattigman said:
    Hi all! There’s a lot praises to GR-16 and I’m very curious but I have so many apps so I want find out if it’s what I need. When I make music my goal is always to make a song, I usually don’t jam just for fun. I’m a vocalist so I always have vocals in my songs. I want a tool to record loops rearrange them and finally add vocals. Is GR-16 want I need? Thanks

You can record loops and save them in 4 bar chunks that you can chain together for a whole track. Vocals would probably be a pain in the ass to work with in Grooverider as they’d have to be imported, sliced, etc. So I wouldn’t recommend it for that. You’d add the vocals after the fact with a more linear daw I would imagine

• GR-16 is practically my favorite app, but in answer to your question I would say "no". In the first place, it doesn't record. Secondly, while you can create longer arrangements, it's by stringing separate 4-bar patterns together. There's no song-mode where you arrange a bunch of patterns linearly like in a DAW. Great app - just not a great fit based on what you've said.

That said - I've said that to more than one person who asked if it was a good fit, who then went ahead and got it and love it, perhaps for different reasons than they asked about it for, but love it all the same.

• @wim said:
    GR-16 is practically my favorite app, but in answer to your question I would say "no". In the first place, it doesn't record. Secondly, while you can create longer arrangements, it's by stringing separate 4-bar patterns together. There's no song-mode where you arrange a bunch of patterns linearly like in a DAW. Great app - just not a great fit based on what you've said.

That said - I've said that to more than one person who asked if it was a good fit, who then went ahead and got it and love it, perhaps for different reasons than they asked about it for, but love it all the same.

But why? On the surface, other apps do similar things... Why does this one ring the bell?

• @wim said:
    GR-16 is practically my favorite app, but in answer to your question I would say "no". In the first place, it doesn't record. Secondly, while you can create longer arrangements, it's by stringing separate 4-bar patterns together. There's no song-mode where you arrange a bunch of patterns linearly like in a DAW. Great app - just not a great fit based on what you've said.

As he said, etc......... @fattigman, I don't know if you have LoopyHD, or Loopy for iPhone( you can use both version on your iPad, then sync them both up with Link)...... maybe those apps would suit you better ( If you haven't got them?) :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    But why? On the surface, other apps do similar things... Why does this one ring the bell?

Don't believe the hype. 99.99% of us have been found to be bogus posters from China working for pennies a day to promote products here.

• It was me :D :D
    I love it! <3 o:)

@wim said:

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    It was me :D :D

@wim said:

You love everything you try!! B) :p o:)

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Don't believe the hype. 99.99% of us have been found to be bogus posters from China working for pennies a day to promote products here.

Lulz, I knew it!

• @wim said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    It was me :D :D

@wim said:

You love everything you try!! B) :p o:)

Lol that’s true. But we love you @MusicMan4Christ

• Thanks guys love y’all too! This place has been such a blessing to me and all my music endeavors. But I really gotta bunker down and finish a project :# o:) :D

• Thank you all for your answers.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:

Ah. I had enjoyed playing with this enough to figure it out, but have slacked off lately (and probably forgotten most of what I learned already). The OTHER GR thread is so long I've probably missed out on this, but you mention there is no song mode (yet). This is partly why I've drifted off a little. Hopefully it will arrive at some point....

• Hey Captain,
    Well the way it’s working for me, is that I play a pattern, add more stuff to it then do shift save/write and tell it to save to new pattern and keep going on and on. This has really clicked with me. So then I hook it up with Cubasis or Auria and sync it up then add more tracks there in a linear way. This is such a great inspirational setup to keep the flow going for me.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Ah. I had enjoyed playing with this enough to figure it out, but have slacked off lately (and probably forgotten most of what I learned already). The OTHER GR thread is so long I've probably missed out on this, but you mention there is no song mode (yet). This is partly why I've drifted off a little. Hopefully it will arrive at some point....

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey Captain,
    Well the way it’s working for me, is that I play a pattern, add more stuff to it then do shift save/write and tell it to save to new pattern and keep going on and on. This has really clicked with me. So then I hook it up with Cubasis or Auria and sync it up then add more tracks there in a linear way. This is such a great inspirational setup to keep the flow going for me.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Thanks Mister Man. I shall go back and keep on!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Well ... a song mode is just a way of chaining patterns together. GR-16 has that - it's just not graphically laid out like in BeatHawk. I've not heard any plans for anything similar. It does kind of discombobulate me trying to string stuff together artfully without that visual crutch. BeatHawk owns in that department for sure, but GR-16's one-screen layout clicks with me better for composing than all the flipping back and forth in BeatHawk.

My best workflow so far is to compose all my bits and pieces in GR-16, export the stems, then arrange the clips in BM3 or Auria Pro. That's workin' amazingly well for me.

• @wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Well ... a song mode is just a way of chaining patterns together. GR-16 has that - it's just not graphically laid out like in BeatHawk. I've not heard any plans for anything similar. It does kind of discombobulate me trying to string stuff together artfully without that visual crutch. BeatHawk owns in that department for sure, but GR-16's one-screen layout clicks with me better for composing than all the flipping back and forth in BeatHawk.

My best workflow so far is to compose all my bits and pieces in GR-16, export the stems, then arrange the clips in BM3 or Auria Pro. That's workin' amazingly well for me.

Rather than use chain mode, I’ve just been triggering the patterns in order straight into AudioShare recording. That way you avoid the menu diving of chain mode

• @db909 said:

@wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Rather than use chain mode, I’ve just been triggering the patterns in order straight into AudioShare recording. That way you avoid the menu diving of chain mode

How do you do that exactly? You just have "Pattern1, Pattern2, Pattern3" in the list and select them in the order you want? Looks from the videos that is the case--that GR-16 intelligently counts in the next pattern.

• edited March 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

How do you do that exactly? You just have "Pattern1, Pattern2, Pattern3" in the list and select them in the order you want? Looks from the videos that is the case--that GR-16 intelligently counts in the next pattern.

Yeah pretty much. It does wait for the current pattern to finish before moving to the next selected like you mentioned unless you override that with the shift button, but I don’t, so yeah. No gaps or anything. I don’t even really organize them that much either, maybe some basic labels. Super easy

• This app is soooo Addictive! Don’t give up General, the rewards are so fulfilling that you wish everyone had the privilege to make music with this amazing instrument!

It really is an instrument for me. :o

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey Captain,

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Thanks Mister Man. I shall go back and keep on!

• @wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Thank you for this as well. Very encouraging. Especially as I LOVE the BH song mode, so to hear of someone who gets that but gets how this works comparably/better for them etc is very interesting to me. Stems also of course...

• @db909 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Yeah pretty much. It does wait for the current pattern to finish before moving to the next selected like you mentioned unless you override that with the shift button, but I don’t, so yeah. No gaps or anything. I don’t even really organize them that much either, maybe some basic labels. Super easy

This would work quite nicely with the program change feature for live use. Long shot, but is there an option to MIDI learn previous/next presets?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

This would work quite nicely with the program change feature for live use. Long shot, but is there an option to MIDI learn previous/next presets?

Pattern switching can be done through program change messages. I haven't tried that though.

From the manual:
    Program change message switches User Patterns from 0 to 127 (midi bank 0). To be able to select User Patterns numbered 128-255 (midi bank 1), you must first select midi bank 1 (send Bank Select LSB = 1 and Bank Select MSB = 0 messages) before sending Program change message.

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@db909 said:

@wim said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@wim said:

Pattern switching can be done through program change messages. I haven't tried that though.

From the manual:
    Program change message switches User Patterns from 0 to 127 (midi bank 0). To be able to select User Patterns numbered 128-255 (midi bank 1), you must first select midi bank 1 (send Bank Select LSB = 1 and Bank Select MSB = 0 messages) before sending Program change message.

Yep, read the manual (which is good) and saw the PC stuff. But I want to be able to use two buttons on a foot controller: one for next preset and one for previous preset. Greedy, I know.