Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Collaborating ... always surprises me ...

...How few collaborations appear to take place within the forum … considering essentially we all work on the same platform give an app or 4. Maybe there is behind closed doors and I haven’t been invited to the party :* :o

Anybody collaborating on here or have in the past.. and a link to what you produced.

Comments

• Agreed, I've often noted the same. But perhaps iOS music making in isolation is self selecting?

• I asked once if I wanted to collab with myself
    We shared the same platform, same apps, same house
    He said no anyway

• edited March 2018

@enc said:
    ...How few collaborations appear to take place within the forum … considering essentially we all work on the same platform give an app or 4. Maybe there is behind closed doors and I haven’t been invited to the party :* :o

Anybody collaborating on here or have in the past.. and a link to what you produced.

Only one member on here has wanted to collaborate with me, but nothing came of it due to me not finishing the track. It'll happen one day though.

I've collaborated with a couple of people on Soundcloud. With the first, I took a few seconds of a pad sound from their track, and built a whole new complete song, using just a bit of their sample. They posted this on their own account, took full credit for everything and lapped up the lavish praise. I didn't get a mention. I think it might have even ended up on their CD.

The second, was a singer who regularly invites collaborations with others. I'd say her vocals are an acquired taste (and bad quality - shouted into a phone), and so I only used a few seconds as a sample to a backing track I created. Again this ended up posted on her own page, with no credit to me. She then demanded an uncompressed version to sell on her Bandcamp account - with obviously no credit or money coming to me. I refused, and so she started posting abusive and threatening comments on my own page, so I took down the track with her vocal sample (it was horrible anyway) and blocked her account.

I think this is a good place to find collaborators - there's quite a few people on here I'd be more than happy to work with, as you get to know folks pretty well after a while, but I'm avoiding the Soundcloud crowd.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    I asked once if I wanted to collab with myself
    We shared the same platform, same apps, same house
    He said no anyway

Me, myself and I

• @MonzoPro said:

@enc said:

Only one member on here has wanted to collaborate with me, but nothing came of it due to me not finishing the track. It'll happen one day though.

I've collaborated with a couple of people on Soundcloud. With the first, I took a few seconds of a pad sound from their track, and built a whole new complete song, using just a bit of their sample. They posted this on their own account, took full credit for everything and lapped up the lavish praise. I didn't get a mention. I think it might have even ended up on their CD.

The second, was a singer who regularly invites collaborations with others. I'd say her vocals are an acquired taste (and bad quality - shouted into a phone), and so I only used a few seconds as a sample to a backing track I created. Again this ended up posted on her own page, with no credit to me. She then demanded an uncompressed version to sell on her Bandcamp account - with obviously no credit or money coming to me. I refused, and so she started posting abusive and threatening comments on my own page, so I took down the track with her vocal sample (it was horrible anyway) and blocked her account.

I think this is a good place to find collaborators - there's quite a few people on here I'd be more than happy to work with, as you get to know folks pretty well after a while, but I'm avoiding the Soundcloud crowd.

Ouch !

• @MonzoPro your experiences with online collaboration sound horrible, too many people just wanting to appropriate all of your work as their own.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @MonzoPro your experiences with online collaboration sound horrible, too many people just wanting to appropriate all of your work as their own.

I don’t think my experiences are typical, I think it’s just bad luck with those two.

It’s taught me that I need to be sure the person I’m going to be working with shares the same objectives though, and we both get a say in what happens to the results.

The beauty of this forum is you get to know and trust some people pretty well, and there’s quite a few on here I’d be happy to work with.

Whether they’d want to work with me is another matter entirely...

• ALBALB
    edited March 2018

@MonzoPro - yes, it's nasty out there. I think people don't collaborate for just these issues. As lukesleepwalker mentioned, IOS may be the kind of environment that appeals to people who would rather go it alone creatively. It certainly appeals to me for that reason. I love this forum and all of the interesting tips that people offer, but when it comes to the actual making of something, I'm not much for collaboration. Others take to this form of working better - good for them.

• @MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:
    @MonzoPro your experiences with online collaboration sound horrible, too many people just wanting to appropriate all of your work as their own.

I don’t think my experiences are typical, I think it’s just bad luck with those two.

It’s taught me that I need to be sure the person I’m going to be working with shares the same objectives though, and we both get a say in what happens to the results.

The beauty of this forum is you get to know and trust some people pretty well, and there’s quite a few on here I’d be happy to work with.

Whether they’d want to work with me is another matter entirely...

I agree the Audiobus forum does provide a much better opportunity to get to know people before collaborating. Hopefully those you’re interested in working with will work out.

• edited March 2018

@ALB said:
    @MonzoPro - yes, it's nasty out there. I think people don't collaborate for just these issues. As lukesleepwalker mentioned, IOS may be the kind of environment that appeals to people who would rather go it alone creatively. It certainly appeals to me for that reason. I love this forum and all of the interesting tips that people offer, but when it comes to the actual making of something, I'm not much for collaboration. Others take to this form of working better - good for them.

I miss working with other musicians, since I was in a lot of bands years back, but I love having full control over what I do via iOS and desktop software. My grand plan is to try and have a mix of the two: get myself a portable mixer/interface and take this and my laptop/iPad to sessions with other musicians and record the results. I can then tweak and edit this into a finished track back home. I'd be working with friends/musicians I already know, so we're all working towards the same goal. There's a couple of people I'm doing this with already in a slightly different way.

But I'd still be interested in online collaborations from bods here too, and the way to do that would be swapping files and mixes via cloud storage/email.

• I’ll contact my iLawyer and you get yours and we’ll have a meeting in the iCloud

• I've tossed out the collaboration bone a few times but have only gotten a tepid response, unfortunately.

• I collaborate with Doug @thesoundtestroom Woods on a regular basis and we get along great! I think that what we create is often greater than the sum of our parts! :smile:
    I have done several collaborations with Martin Neuhold who is also a member here and I regularly collaborate with non-iOS musicians all over the world (using my iPad and guitar).
    I have also helped out @Zen210507 RTM recently too :smile:

I love it. It gives me challenges, which I enjoy (most of the time) and gives me the opportunity to play all kinds of music.

• edited March 2018

@AlterEgo_UK said:

Very pleased we are, too.

The track on which Colin is guest guitarist, recreating/ interpreting from an old demo, is something with a rather long history. Appropriately, it is called ‘Time Travel’ and will be on the forthcoming Repulse the Monkey album - Legal in Fifty States.

Before that, however, we anticipate uploading a video version of ‘Time Travel’ to our YouTube channel, which should happen in the next couple of days, all being well. :)

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    I collaborate with Doug @thesoundtestroom Woods on a regular basis and we get along great! I think that what we create is often greater than the sum of our parts! :smile:
    I have done several collaborations with Martin Neuhold who is also a member here and I regularly collaborate with non-iOS musicians all over the world (using my iPad and guitar).

I love it. It gives me challenges, which I enjoy (most of the time) and gives me the opportunity to play all kinds of music.

@AlterEgo_UK Well he says we get along as long he can have his guitar turned up to 11 and have 25 10 minute solos in every track. I send over a nice gentle piano piece at 90 bpm and back it comes at 140 bpm with loads of heavy death metal all over it and one single piano note left at the very end in the fade out.

Plus your all really lucky I can mix out his bagpipe solo stuff too

• edited March 2018

@MonzoPro said:

That is seriously shoddy behaviour.

With reference to the song ‘Time Travel’ mentioned above, the melody was originally written in the late 80’s by an old friend of mine with lyrical input from me, and only ever recorded as a rough demo, with variable tempo. This was how things stayed, until paths crossed again. We tried to do something with it, but were caught out by the inconsistencies. At this point, enter AlterEgo_UK, who rather brilliantly helped us out by re-recording/ interpreting the original in a form we could finally use.

Not long after, we had a polished, mastered hip-hop version of what began as an inspired strum. The result is reminiscent of what PM Dawn did with Set Adrift on Memory Bliss, which as most here will know was based around the main riff from Spandau Ballet’s song True. The PM Dawn track acknowledged what it owed to Spandau (and no doubt paid G. Kemp) but was effectively a different song.

So, on the album the original composer will be credited, along with Colin as guest guitarist, and links to their respective works. The video has the same credits, plus one for the chap who did the animation, which is borrowed from an IOS app. Everyone who played a part quite rightly gets their mention, and in the extremely unlikely event of it making any money, will also get their share.

• In the old days I used to collaborate with a guy from Birmingham ..I'd pop the bare bones of a track on a cassette (remember them ?) and pop it in a Jiffy bag and post it. Hed do some over dubs ..Then back in the post ... great fun. I've just picked up the new album from Creep Show .. a colaberation that shouldn't really work but it's an amazing album.

• edited March 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

That is seriously shoddy behaviour.

With reference to the song ‘Time Travel’ mentioned above, the melody was originally written in the late 80’s by an old friend of mine with lyrical input from me, and only ever recorded as a rough demo, with variable tempo. This was how things stayed, until paths crossed again. We tried to do something with it, but were caught out by the inconsistencies. At this point, enter AlterEgo_UK, who rather brilliantly helped us out by re-recording/ interpreting the original in a form we could finally use.

Not long after, we had a polished, mastered hip-hop version of what began as an inspired strum. The result is reminiscent of what PM Dawn did with Set Adrift on Memory Bliss, which as most here will know was based around the main riff from Spandau Ballet’s song True. The PM Dawn track acknowledged what it owed to Spandau (and no doubt paid G. Kemp) but was effectively a different song.

So, on the album the original composer will be credited, along with Colin as guest guitarist, and links to their respective works. The video has the same credits, plus one for the chap who did the animation, which is borrowed from an IOS app. Everyone who played a part quite rightly gets their mention, and in the extremely unlikely event of it making any money, will also get their share.

Yeah that's how it should be, glad Colin gets his credit for playing bagpipes.

It's all down to who you work with in the end. I had another incident where a long-time collaborator decided they didn't have time to have any input on a new collection of tracks I'd recorded. I gave them a CD copy of the work in progress on it (which was just me playing on my tracks just in case they felt inspired to add anything), and later found out they'd made copies of the CD, put their name on it and had been selling it. They hadn't added a thing, it was all me. Needless to say we're not collaborating anymore.

I'm having to keep an eye on the last band I was in as well. They loved an ambient/soundscape CD I'd made, said they'd make great song intros, and I'm half expecting to hear bits of that popping up on their next album.

• @MonzoPro I’ve never understood how people can claim something that doesn’t belong to them as their own, how do they sleep at night!? Give credit where credit is due, no matter how much you wish you had done something, appropriating someone’s hard work as your own is one of most abhorrent and disgusting acts.. worse than stealing their money IMO. I’ve experienced this many times and it does certainly make you weary when collaborating in any capacity.

Anyway that’s my rant for the night. :p

• @Keenan said:
    @MonzoPro I’ve never understood how people can claim something that doesn’t belong to them as their own, how do they sleep at night!? Give credit where credit is due, no matter how much you wish you had done something, appropriating someone’s hard work as your own is one of most abhorrent and disgusting acts.. worse than stealing their money IMO. I’ve experienced this many times and it does certainly make you weary when collaborating in any capacity.

Sorry to hear you've experienced this too.

I think maybe it could be due to the fact I do this stuff as a hobby/fun - perhaps that sends out a message to some that it's ok to use my work as I'm not a 'proper' band/artist. I doubt they'd be so quick so grab a chunk of a Madonna song for use in their tracks, for example.

I don't want to turn this thread into a negative though - I'm actually not that fussed over what's happened in the past (it was a load of rubbish anyway), and maybe stepping up to selling work on Bandcamp/Spotify, and using a distributor will give my profile a more professional edge, and scare off the ripper-offers.

I think collaboration's a really good thing to do, particularly if you can find like minded souls on forums like this one, and I hope to do more of it over the coming years.

• I've offered to do remixes of some of other guys tracks here(or if they would just send an acapella), but knowone has, one one person has. But, not everyone is into Deep House/Disco here to be fair. But, I would never do what happened to Mr @MonzoPro to someone. I would always ask there permission first. It's called trust & respect. It's like when I do Remixes for record Labels, I wouldn't...... (even when I signed the agreement contract)........ If I did have there permission, I would always put a " Feat: So & So..... Name, etc" on it. :)

• I once crapped all over one of @echoopera 's tracks. He was pretty cool about it though. Truth is that every time he posts something I feel like laying down a guitar solo over it, but one time abusing him is enough:

• I collaborate most of my work with a good friend who lives close ,he is a natural tunesmith with lyrics that are generally excellent.Our Workflow is a song fully written by my mate but the odd line or tune is always subject to change,I’m presented with a Chord sheet with all parts marked ,no particular Key or BPM that kinda is determined by the length of the song, or style,we obviously chat and i get to hear a version for the first time.Then I get to work on how I feel about the song I use guitar ,keyboard ,the glass ThumbJam any sound ,effect,atmosphere especially auv3s etc. we get together after I’ve knocked around with it and generally I’ve got it to a place that allows for adding or subtracting ,mixing via one of the apps FT ,Mastering,Grand Finale,I transfer this mix to his 8 track recorder,he adds bits and pieces.Vocals. Done! We have completely reversed this flow and i present the chord structure.a hint of a tune vocals appear like magic and all music and vocals remain on the pad. We share our stuff with friends and family but mostly for ourselves. I personally if I have some spare time ,I love to do covers from all eras.

• PS no,particular DAW used I find them all pretty fair ,the AUDIOBUS of course,not that keen on inter audio app chain ,but did use it in the past and it did the job for me then. greenie

• encenc
    edited March 2018

Y> @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

I once crapped all over one of @echoopera 's tracks. He was pretty cool about it though. Truth is that every time he posts something I feel like laying down a guitar solo over it, but one time abusing him is enough:

Cool track. I was dreading the worst when you mentioned the geetar but I actually really like that.

• RTM also had the good fortune of a remix, using our song ‘Goodbye Spaceboy’ by AB forum resident sound engineer Tarekith.

Life has kind of got in the way, putting some things back, but we’re still planning to add a video to this and plonk it on our YouTube channel.

• edited March 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    I doubt they'd be so quick so grab a chunk of a Madonna song for use in their tracks, for example.

Judging by her ‘back catalogue’ it would be risky to touch Madge with someone else’s bargepole! ;)

• encenc
    edited March 2018

/

• @MonzoPro said:

@Keenan said:

I think maybe it could be due to the fact I do this stuff as a hobby/fun - perhaps that sends out a message to some that it's ok to use my work as I'm not a 'proper' band/artist. I doubt they'd be so quick so grab a chunk of a Madonna song for use in their tracks, for example.

never stopped these guys ..