Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Has anyone used Klimper? (Chord App)

I was scrolling through music apps that were on sale and came across Klimper. I'm always interested in chord suggestion apps and I liked the interface based off of the screenshots. Looks like it supports IAA, AU, and MIDI Out. Was just wondering if anyone here has used it before and what their experience is. I'd be curious to try it out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/klimper/id1189322675?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Comments

• I think it is great. an absolute bargain at sale price.

but it may not be what you are looking for: its strength is not chord suggestions, but composition based on chord progressions. you can create chord progressions and then compose songs based on it really easily but it will not propose chords to you.

• @nick thanks for the feedback. The first line in the app description made me think it would suggest the next chord in a set scale:

In the chord palette your can explore chords that are available in your selected scale. While a chord is played, related chords are highlighted so you can easily find chord sequences that progress smoothly. Once you found a nice chord sequence, you can drag and drop chords into your song to build your composition upon it.

How is the interface? Is moving and extending MIDI notes easy to do or is it a pain?

• @illaddin said:
    @nick thanks for the feedback. The first line in the app description made me think it would suggest the next chord in a set scale:

In the chord palette your can explore chords that are available in your selected scale. While a chord is played, related chords are highlighted so you can easily find chord sequences that progress smoothly. Once you found a nice chord sequence, you can drag and drop chords into your song to build your composition upon it.

it is not really suggesting the next good chord, just highlighting related chords

How is the interface? Is moving and extending MIDI notes easy to do or is it a pain?

it is really quite good, in fact among the better midi editing tools on iOS.
    One thing that is quite unique in klimper is that you can make a melody in the piano roll , select part of the melody and have klimper tell you what chord would go with that part.

• edited March 2018

I dunno what sale you’re talking about because I’ve seen this app go from 5.99 to 7.99 to 8.99 and now it’s 10.99. I’ve been curious about it, but I’ll wait till the price settles. Doesn’t look like any new features have been added either to justify the recent price increase

• It was $3.99 earlier this morning and it’s $10.99 now.

• @db909 said:
    I dunno what sale you’re talking about because I’ve seen this app go from 5.99 to 7.99 to 8.99 and now it’s 10.99. I’ve been curious about it, but I’ll wait till the price settles. Doesn’t look like any new features have been added either to justify the recent price increase

lol it was literally $3.99 earlier this morning. I guess it jumped back up. Guess I'm not getting it! Maybe next time

• Same here. I was checking out the sequencer and getting interested, but will stick with Navichord for now.

• I liked Klimper, until the dev disappeared without notice and wouldn’t reply to any attempts to reach him.

I got a refund, then he magically reappeared back in the AppStore a couple months later. I see his frequent yo-yo sales and am tempted, but still skittish that he may disappear again.

Check out Suggester. In some ways I like it better. It’s free, but has an IAP for midi. This is also a very responsive dev who updates his app regularly.

Suggester by Mathieu Routhier
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/suggester/id504740787?mt=8

• Can you insert rests in Klimper?

• @gusgranite said:
    Can you insert rests in Klimper?

No but you can adjust length of chords, but you can do this easily in suggester

• @gusgranite said:
    Can you insert rests in Klimper?

Klimper is basically a piano roll with highlighted chords, so the answer is kind of yes, you can insert rests by not having any notes played at any given moment, just like you can have rests in any piano roll

• I used Klimper for a while in it was a fun way to create chord progressions in a very simple way - it does a good job at helping develope and arrange. For some reason I lost interest in using it - I didn’t like creating something that didn’t explain why I was choosing these chords. I have no theory knowledge or music training so I wanted to have it explain somehow so it didn’t seem so arbitrary and blindly. It’s a great app though and might be exactly what your looking for.

I would like to see something like Captain Chords come to iOS or Scaler. I’ve been using the Captain Chords in Ableton for the last month and it has helped me to understand how the theory works.
    —- Id like to get Scaler and use both to maybe understand the way to create songs and why it works.

• Klimper on sale again

• Their sales are usually extremely short, better be fast if you want it :wink:

• I love Klimper greatly, as it shows fitting melody or bass notes, which i would not know.

I know of no other App with this feature, but would love to know more ;-)

It is not helpfull in creating / choosing chord progressions, so i often dabble around with Odesi to find some chords and voicing that i like and then move this to Klimper.

Alternatively, you could play yourself, using ChordMaps2 and transfer the results to Klimber.

As for a DAW, i would love to use "shadow" notes from a track, so that i could more easily change notes and vary things, while still seeing the original notes below. This is very hard when you need to compare 2 tracks to reach the same goal.

• Seems like this was updated just a few months ago. The reviews are very mixed. Anyone still using this? Seems similar to Tunemaker maybe.

• One of a handful of apps that are great for getting ideas down quickly.

• This was one of the first musicapps I bought, haven't played with it for a while. I like the screen that lets you trigger chords live and indicates which chords are most likely to come next. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you can't send the midi out while you do it, but can only trigger hosted AUs or export programmed Midi. Thinking of it now, maybe hosting Drambo and recording in there, in order to open it later in the standalone Drambo for edits could be nice workaround for me. Although I would prefer just the chords page as a midi-AU. There is a reason player with a similar functionality and UI although I think this works with chordsets, that not necessarily adhere to scales (which might be nice, unfortunately I don't have that one).

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    This was one of the first musicapps I bought, haven't played with it for a while. I like the screen that lets you trigger chords live and indicates which chords are most likely to come next. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you can't send the midi out while you do it, but can only trigger hosted AUs or export programmed Midi. Thinking of it now, maybe hosting Drambo and recording in there, in order to open it later in the standalone Drambo for edits could be nice workaround for me. Although I would prefer just the chords page as a midi-AU. There is a reason player with a similar functionality and UI although I think this works with chordsets, that not necessarily adhere to scales (which might be nice, unfortunately I don't have that one).

The “up next” idea seems pretty cool. The newer reviews seem a bit more promising and it was updated a few months ago. Maybe I’ll try it some time.

• @HotStrange nice you bumped this thread. Reading what I had written before, I remembered I wanted to try this, opened klimper to realize I already had... Unsuccessfully. So today I tried it again with a bit more patience and yay it worked after I turned the host sync in Drambo off.

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    @HotStrange nice you bumped this thread. Reading what I had written before, I remembered I wanted to try this, opened klimper to realize I already had... Unsuccessfully. So today I tried it again with a bit more patience and yay it worked after I turned the host sync in Drambo off.

Oh cool! Do you seem to be having any glaring issues overall? Any crashing/freezing? Especially with AU hosting.

• I haven't used it extensively, but don't remember any crashes. Some aus didn't open, Atom 2 for example, which I thought I might pipe the midi out of. About 2 years ago I used it a bit, like it's supposed to be with a couple of synths following the chord progression and I did not stop using it because of crashes, but because I didn't have much fun purely programming music. Drambo worked fine, so I can play the chords page live, and I don't see myself using the other functions. A funny thing happened, when I tried to use mi-rack to feed midi to drambo standalone using a quad midi input into 4 midi outputs. It worked fine for a couple of minutes (for four note chords only of course) and then it stopped working and I couldn't get it to do it again, but no crash. No changes, no apparent reason.

• Main thing that stopped me using it was being locked into standard scales and modes, not even any harmonic minor as I recall… really nice way to work though, I should maybe just have another go but stay vanilla…

• Could be a problem with drambo though, as I saw the midi working inside mi-rack. And my other solution is better anyway, since I can have more notes per chord.

• edited April 2023

@Krupa I know, what you mean, although you get pretty complex chords in scale right under your fingertips arranged in a logical intuitive way, that I wouldn't be able to play myself plus an indication, where they might lead, so it's still a nice option though.

The guys at reason pretty much nicked the design of klimper and made a player, that works with chordsets instead of scales. I'd love to have this for ios as an au:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/chord-sequencer/

• Thinking about it, having drambo in there, I could use a quantizer to turn minor into harmonic minor and see what happens, if the chords turn sour or not.