Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Genres - What is what ?

Often in threads when discussing what an app is good at or for people use Genre.....descriptions like Trance Pads or Trap Hats are 2 examples that have come up recently.

As an old timer I have no idea what these mean as I do not know the Genres and sub genre's used in todays music.....in my day it was either Rock Punk Reggae or Disco for the most part.

As a way of helping us old timers understand some of this new fangled youngster language, could you younger folks post examples of tracks and which genre/sub genre it is, and what defines that it is that genre ?

This would not only help when reading posts, but also help me put the right tags on tunes that I upload to this t'interweb thingy :D

Comments

• encenc
    edited March 2018

... this should be fun. My latest tracks I've categorised under the post punk/pre techno genre. I.e. Music in the style of anything recorded between April 1978 and august 1981

• As a youngster (cough) - I do fuck wit jizz music. It’s musical wanking with absolutely no direction or rules beyond what ever I steal from the music I’m listening to at the time.

Luckily, it will never be heard by anyone bar myself, my dog and when my wife is unlucky enough to be in ear shot.

I did try to do ‘proper’ music, but found I was shit at it! :)

• edited March 2018

When I look at the details it seems like an infinite, fragmented, provisional, disposable and subjective cluster fudge. When I zoom out to get a big picture it just gets boring.

• I got two Genres:

Shit I like, and shit I don't like. ;)

I realize this does nothing to help others understand what a certain band or artist sounds like.

• @High5denied said:
    I got two Genres:

I like

• “All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song.” Louis Armstrong

• After looking at that I can see that I could use Gadget with Kingston, Kamato and Rosario to make some Nintendocore :D

• Genres are a music industry mechanism to direct their customers to music they already have an affinity with while filtering out everything else. It’s been going on for so long we’ve accepted it as the norm. You could be negative about it as labelling us but.....
    In the UK we have a thriving indie scene at the moment with young bands unashamedly mashing up pretty well anything from the past. It’s a fun time and you can see where all the component parts came from but every now and again a track happens out of nowhere, wow where did that come from!
    I think that’s what really matters.

• I too am an oldish fart, and the genre fragmentation of EM leaves me quite perplexed. First, I don’t understand the need to parse genres so finely. Second, who decides on these labels and when a new one should be spawned and applied? Does this happen organically within the music scene, or is it dictated by music industry players?

I lived next to a 19 yr old aspiring DJ/producer for a while a few years back. I tried asking him about this genre nonsense. He seemed to think the genres spawned from different geographical regions. Different scenes in different towns, cities, countries, or whatever would develop a distinguishable sound and soon that sound would spread and become a new genre if it caught on. I likened it to folk music (of the indigenous or world type, not the proto-country music type), and though I don’t think he really understood what I meant, he seemed to agree.

Previously, and sometimes still, I think of EM genres this way: Someone makes a track that makes some attempt at originality or employs some creative juxtapositions, and is successful. They make a track that sounds good, and does some new trick or two. Now, other people hear this, and start copying the technique or trick or whatever, and maybe even expand on the idea or add something new to that. Once enough people are doing this, a new genre label gets applied and these new-fangled techniques or ideas get codified in that genres definition. So basically, all you need is a hit track that does something a little different, and you have a potential new genre on your hands, ad long as the followers follow your lead.

Obviously, these are all just my own personal thoughts on the matter. I really have no idea about the reality of the proliferation of micro-genres.

• Up until today I thought Psychobilly was a goat to be avoided !

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Up until today I thought Psychobilly was a goat to be avoided !

Destination Zulu land

• When trying to describe some of my works within genres I am at a loss. Tim at Discchord tried to help and called my last album “Jazz Punk” which is fun but it doesn’t really have much meaning.

• @High5denied said:
    I got two Genres:

I realize this does nothing to help others understand what a certain band or artist sounds like.

+1!

• Okay, let me take a crack at it. ;)

“Trance Pads” = The synth patch that makes Trance Trance.

“Trance” - Electronic atmospheric disco.

“Trap” = ‘hip-hop’ produced by ignorant crackers lacking the knowledge of actual hip-hop culture, usually full of lyrics that hit on every last shitty rap cliche. Actually, it’s an insult to true hip-hop.

“Future House” - 90s house music is what disco became, and Future House is basically Neo-90s house.

“Future Bass” - A horrible shitty genre. It’s what Trap and Dubstep evolved into, and Spinnin sure loves putting this shit out these days instead of the smashin four-on-the-floor club bangers they used to release in 2016.

“Brostep” - Before Trap, there was Brostep, aka Skrillex.

“Dubstep” - The true predecessor of Brostep. It’s what 2-step Garage evolved into.

“2-Step Garage” - What Armin Van Helden invented in the 90s. Was majorly HUGE in the UK and is an actual respectable genre of dance music.

(If anybody took this tongue-in-cheek post seriously, haha. :smirk: )

• I know it was meant as tongue in cheek, but I don’t even know the difference between House, Garage and Hip-Hop, so defining things in terms of those doesn’t help. Although I’m pretty sure I hate them all, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

• @PhilW said:
    I know it was meant as tongue in cheek, but I don’t even know the difference between House, Garage and Hip-Hop, so defining things in terms of those doesn’t help. Although I’m pretty sure I hate them all, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

How right you are. :)

• @PhilW said:
    I know it was meant as tongue in cheek, but I don’t even know the difference between House, Garage and Hip-Hop, so defining things in terms of those doesn’t help. Although I’m pretty sure I hate them all, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

:lol: You’d probably like classic House and Hip-Hop. Maybe not. The new genres are hit or miss, although I hate Future Bass and find Trap as an insult to real Hip-Hop.

Anyway, what kind of music are you into?

• edited March 2018

This thread has me thinking about genre a lot more than usual and made me realise that for the most part I don't think there are really particular genres I enjoy that much more than others and there is just stuff spread around the landscape in general.

I tend to just obssess about someone for a while and chew like crazy on the same ones for a while. So like right now I love one rock band, one rapper, one glitch hopper, one medieval minstrel album, one dark psytrance artist, one jazz musician but I would not call myself a big fan of any of those genres as a whole.

• edited March 2018

• edited March 2018

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@PhilW said:

:lol: You’d probably like classic House and Hip-Hop. Maybe not. The new genres are hit or miss, although I hate Future Bass and find Trap as an insult to real Hip-Hop.

Anyway, what kind of music are you into?

NU Disco........ :D

• I always thought "R&B" was originally "Rhythm & Blues" back in the old days......... They were so wrong....... I get it now!......... :D

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Okay, let me take a crack at it. ;)

“Trance Pads” = The synth patch that makes Trance Trance.

“Trance” - Electronic atmospheric disco.

“Trap” = ‘hip-hop’ produced by ignorant crackers lacking the knowledge of actual hip-hop culture, usually full of lyrics that hit on every last shitty rap cliche. Actually, it’s an insult to true hip-hop.

“Future House” - 90s house music is what disco became, and Future House is basically Neo-90s house.

“Future Bass” - A horrible shitty genre. It’s what Trap and Dubstep evolved into, and Spinnin sure loves putting this shit out these days instead of the smashin four-on-the-floor club bangers they used to release in 2016.

“Brostep” - Before Trap, there was Brostep, aka Skrillex.

“Dubstep” - The true predecessor of Brostep. It’s what 2-step Garage evolved into.

“2-Step Garage” - What Armin Van Helden invented in the 90s. Was majorly HUGE in the UK and is an actual respectable genre of dance music.

(If anybody took this tongue-in-cheek post seriously, haha. :smirk: )

Tongue in cheek as this may be, it actually helps ;)

• @AudioGus said:
    This thread has me thinking about genre a lot more than usual and made me realise that for the most part I don't think there are really particular genres I enjoy that much more than others and there is just stuff spread around the landscape in general.

+1

• I’m so on a leash by what I listen to at the time. As I’ve been listening to older Alien Sex Fiend, the last few tracks I’ve been working on are more freely played. I’ve been throwing stuff in front of the drum back drop and seeing where they land.

Last week was Killing Joke week and it seemed like all the sounds I made were raw and gritty. While I’m not out and out copying genres, I am taking bits that have stuck in my head from listening to music and playing with them.

While the average age group here is probably leaning toward the ‘experienced’ lol, I’m sure that most of us have sponged in so many differing genres. Wonder if sometimes our brains are saturated and hence struggle to take in more?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’m so on a leash by what I listen to at the time. As I’ve been listening to older Alien Sex Fiend, the last few tracks I’ve been working on are more freely played. I’ve been throwing stuff in front of the drum back drop and seeing where they land.

Last week was Killing Joke week and it seemed like all the sounds I made were raw and gritty. While I’m not out and out copying genres, I am taking bits that have stuck in my head from listening to music and playing with them.

While the average age group here is probably leaning toward the ‘experienced’ lol, I’m sure that most of us have sponged in so many differing genres. Wonder if sometimes our brains are saturated and hence struggle to take in more?

Yes current audio intake definitely influences the output........if I am working on something and get stuck I will often go and listen to some stuff far removed from what I am making to try and unblock

• My idea snippets that I’ve jotted down of late must be influenced by differing genres even if we go by their lengths - anywhere between 2 bars and 90. Sometimes I just record whatever is going on in my head and see where it goes. The only limitation I’ve found with my current setup, is not really being able to have full control of BPM on the fly. Maybe it’s because I don’t know the software well enough, or maybe changing BPM on the fly is more a hardware thing?