Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sheree's Tiger Dance--a modular-style generative patch built in AUM

Whenever I come up with a good generative patch I can listen to it play for hours. Here is a modular-style generative patch I created in AUM. This is a random two-and-a-half minute chunk of it playing by itself with no intervention from me. I think it sounds really good, almost human.

The synth on the right is a Moog Model 15 driven by Rozeta Particles. Synth on the left is Ripplemaker driven by Rozeta Cells. The drone is from iTabla. Percussion is two instances of Axon 2. Plus a whole lot of effects and LFOs to bring it all to life. I can give more detailed patch notes or share the AUM file if anyone is interested.

The video is an old clip of Sheree North that I animated with Hyperspektiv.

Comments

• Generative music in AUM?!? Screw Intermorphic. I’d like to see that file to see what you did in AUM. :mrgreen:

• Hell yeah. That was great. B)

• Back when Intermorphics was Sseyo, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I helped pioneer this kind of stuff. On a good day this was exactly what I was aiming to do! Good work!

• That's really great!

• Inspired by this thread, and what DJ Puzzle is calling Tribal Glitch, Repulse the Monkey just came up with a fun 2 minutes of multiple app madness. But the forum wotsit says it’s too big to post. :'(

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr very cool, much more going on than traditional modular generative patches. If anything it could be mellowed a bit for my tastes.

@Zen210507 are you trying to share audio? You need to upload it to youtube or soundcloud, then link it in the forum.

• @1nsomniak said:
    @Zen210507 are you trying to share audio? You need to upload it to youtube or soundcloud, then link it in the forum.

>

Oh yes, I understood how to get around the forum limitations. It was just that an experimental piece, so different to RTM’s finished work - really just me fiddling about - did not belong on the group BandCamp pages. :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@1nsomniak said:

>

Oh yes, I understood how to get around the forum limitations. It was just that an experimental piece, so different to RTM’s finished work - really just me fiddling about - did not belong on the group BandCamp pages. :)

I was thinking of creating a scratch soundcloud for stuff like this, save my main account for completed songs. A lot of apps have quick upload now but i never use it, would be good for casual stuff.

• @1nsomniak said:
    I was thinking of creating a scratch soundcloud for stuff like this, save my main account for completed songs. A lot of apps have quick upload now but i never use it, would be good for casual stuff.

>

Good idea, if you do enough casual stuff.

• That was proper trippy and very very chilled beans B)

• Very nicely done!
    Believe it or not, I was thinking of Sheree North just last week.

• I can't find the AUM file, so here are my patch notes from memory:

Lead voice: Ripplemaker playing a pretty vanilla stock patch, no wiggling or modulation inside the synth. Grind is doing most of the tone variation work, but there is some Filterstation 2 there also.

Midi input to Ripplemaker is from Rozeta Cells. I programmed eight melodies, and set it to choose one at random, then follow with another one at random. This is not strictly generative, since the melodies are pre-composed, but there is some randomness involved.

Most of the melodies are set to play forward and then backward before going on to the next one. One is set to free or random. I can't remember which of those settings I used, and I don't really understand the difference between them anyway. I don't think @brambos explained that in the Rozeta manual. He probably falsely assumed that I would be smart enough to figure it out on my own. Joke's on him.

Backup voice: Model 15 playing one of the stock Ciani presets, also pretty vanilla with no wiggling or external modulation. This one runs through Discord4. I found a stock preset in Discord that goes into feedback when I turn up the reverb mix (no idea why). I ran a Rozeta LFO at that mix knob to kick Discord just into feedback and then pull back before it gets too wild.

The midi input to Model 15 is Rozeta Particles. This outputs a pretty boring random stream of scale-locked notes. I gave it some animation by running two Rozeta LFOs at two of the Particles parameters, which really helps a lot to make the random background melody a little more interesting and human.

Both of those synth voices have Rozeta LFOs wiggling the volume. They also both go into a AUFX Space bus. I might have run LFOs at the sends; don't recall for certain.

The drone is an iTabla tanpura through Filterstation 2. One side of Filterstation is set as a VCA, to bring the drone in and out of the mix; the other side varies the timbre a small amount.

The percussion is two instances of Axon 4. It's a cool app, but there is no variation in the rhythm patterns. My solution was to give each drum its own Filterstation, and to run a Rozeta LFO at each drum's volume fader. Each Filterstation has three internal LFOs, plus the fader LFO, times two Axon tracks, adding up to eight total LFOs. This gives the impression of variation in the drum pattern, but really it's only the volume and timbre that's varying. But in doing so, it sounds like different drums are coming in and out of the mix, giving the impression of a developing rhythm pattern.

• Nice work!! For the percussion how do you give each drum a filterstation?

• @Antkn33 said:
    Nice work!! For the percussion how do you give each drum a filterstation?

I have two instances of Axon 2. Each has its own AUM channel. Each AUM channel has its own instance of Filterstation 2. The two Filterstation instances are running different patches.