Which app let you control midi Program Change

I have seen that StepPolyArp is now able to receive Program Change midi data. But do you have an idea how it can be pragmatically used and which app can pilot this feature?

Comments

• I don't think there are many (any?) DAW/sequencer apps that send Program Change messages. There are a few MIDI utility apps that will send them. What are you wanting to do, exactly?

• Midisteps

• Sidecar works for my BopPad

• @syrupcore said:
    I don't think there are many (any?) DAW/sequencer apps that send Program Change messages. There are a few MIDI utility apps that will send them. What are you wanting to do, exactly?

Auria and Xequence certainly can, and pretty sure Cubasis and MTS do as well.

I can certainly imagine it would be cool to embed triggering certain SPA patterns in something like FugueMachine....

• @syrupcore said:
    I don't think there are many (any?) DAW/sequencer apps that send Program Change messages. There are a few MIDI utility apps that will send them. What are you wanting to do, exactly?

In this specific case I would like to automatically change the patterns in StepPolyArp. I like the idea of FugueMachine doing this by the way. But in a more “live” way, I would like to be able to change a preset in a synth just by pressing a button or automatically (for example triggered by a randomizer like Refraktions)

• @cuscolima said:

@syrupcore said:

In this specific case I would like to automatically change the patterns in StepPolyArp. I like the idea of FugueMachine doing this by the way. But in a more “live” way, I would like to be able to change a preset in a synth just by pressing a button or automatically (for example triggered by a randomizer like Refraktions)

Using a hardware button on your controller should be easy - depended on the hardware.
    As for bringing up FM, that’s a pipe dream - I’m unaware personally of anything in the step sequencer world that has PC (modstep maybe?). And in general, I’ve never heard of random a PC generator....
    perhaps setting up something in Midiflow could be done. Setup a step sequencer with probability on the notes, and have Midiflow convert those notes to PC and send them to SPA. Hmmmm

• I have a question as to how do you generate a PC message? Is it on a specific CC channel? Is it formatted in a specific way to tell the synth it is a PC message? How do you usually generate and send these messages on a Midi KB or with a sequencer app?

• @CracklePot
    Program Change is an absolute message - not like a CC message that can be mapped to any function. So there is one PC message per midi channel.
    How it is transmitted and received is going to vary quite a bit though. A hardware controller may have to be setup to transmit PC when a certain button is pushed. In Auria, one must open the automation lane for PC and draw in a point with the correct PC value. A hardware synth would need to be receiving on the midi channel the PC is sent on, and may have to have PC receive enabled. iOS apps as well will need to be set to the right channel - as long as that app has the functionality to implement PC changes.
    So while PC is a clearly defined message in the midi spec, each manufacturer or dev may implement it differently.

If you have specifics about what hardware and/or apps you are using it may be easier to answer your question....

• @wigglelights said:
    @CracklePot
    Program Change is an absolute message - not like a CC message that can be mapped to any function. So there is one PC message per midi channel.
    How it is transmitted and received is going to vary quite a bit though. A hardware controller may have to be setup to transmit PC when a certain button is pushed. In Auria, one must open the automation lane for PC and draw in a point with the correct PC value. A hardware synth would need to be receiving on the midi channel the PC is sent on, and may have to have PC receive enabled. iOS apps as well will need to be set to the right channel - as long as that app has the functionality to implement PC changes.
    So while PC is a clearly defined message in the midi spec, each manufacturer or dev may implement it differently.

If you have specifics about what hardware and/or apps you are using it may be easier to answer your question....

That was actually really helpful already. I have a better idea of what PC messages are and how to generate and send/receive them. It seems rather complicated, which is what I suspected. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some simple or common method for using them that I was not aware of.
    When the day comes, I am sure I will be bugging you for advice. :)

• I use MIDI Studio Pro

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-studio-pro/id590496392?mt=8

I don't remember if it was that expensive when I bought it ages ago, but since you can design your own MIDI controller interface with it, I made a controller with 4 buttons on it to switch between the 4 presets on my Keith McMillen BopPad. Works like a charm.

There's a non "Pro" version of this app, but I'm not sure what the limitations are....

• Quantum sends PC, Audio Evolution Mobile, Midiflow to name a few.