Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which app has the best TR 808 sounds and functionality?

I have been inspired by watching YouTube videos of the real thing but I couldnt afford even the cheaper Aira version at the moment. I have DM1- is there any point in buying Funk Box? It seems to sound better- but I am maybe mistaken. Or what about Boom 808? Or is there any others you would recommend over these? I’m not too keen on MV08

Comments

• Boom 808 (and Boom 909) sound quite nice but both could use an update in the connectivity/recording department. I still have them on my iPad but they don't get used that often...

• MV08 would get my vote. What aspect of it are you not too keen on?

• Another vote for MV08. Just bought it and like it a lot.

• MV08 sounds can be tweaked a fair bit as well.

• MV08 absolutely. Maximum tweakability as a standalone, and it works beautifully with Rozeta

• Hate to pile on here - you like what you like, but MV808 gets my vote as well. Is there something about the sound or interface that doesn’t work for you? It is pretty tweakable...

• Beathawk has a good 808 iap

• MV08 is the only choice, unless that IAP mentioned above has a variety of samples available. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more sample based classic drum machines available for iOS. Seems a relatively easy thing to do and (try) to make a profit on.

• @brambos said:
    MV08 would get my vote. What aspect of it are you not too keen on?

Not to dis everyone else, but this is really the only recommendation that I would need for this one. B)

• MV08 by miles.

• @oat_phipps said:
    MV08 is the only choice, unless that IAP mentioned above has a variety of samples available. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more sample based classic drum machines available for iOS. Seems a relatively easy thing to do and (try) to make a profit on.

Another MV08 vote, duh, but I do love me some Funkbox. @oat_phipps It's not the most robust beat machine, feature wise, but it does come with a great collection of classic (and not so classic) drum machine sample sets. I've moved a few into Patterning by recording one long sample with a pattern that triggers one sound every two steps at a slow BPM and then adjusting the start/end window in Patterning for each drum channel.

• Also, the classic drum machines in Cubasis are pretty easy to get running, and DM1 is pretty flexible. And surely there are kits for Patterning you could grab.
    But if you want the 808 experience, you need to focus on the drum machine, not just the sounds. MV08 gives you that.

• @syrupcore said:

Another MV08 vote, duh, but I do love me some Funkbox. @oat_phipps It's not the most robust beat machine, feature wise, but it does come with a great collection of classic (and not so classic) drum machine sample sets. I've moved a few into Patterning by recording one long sample with a pattern that triggers one sound every two steps at a slow BPM and then adjusting the start/end window in Patterning for each drum channel.

I like FunkBox as well, though it may seem a bit old-fashioned for some. Still sounds pretty good to me.

• @ALB said:

@syrupcore said:

I like FunkBox as well, though it may seem a bit old-fashioned for some. Still sounds pretty good to me.

Think it sounds absolutely great but you can't really tweak the sounds within the app and the pattern/song set up is a little clunky. Also, has that fantastic swing algorithm, an extra sequencer for bass lines (or external drums) and it clocks to MIDI like a MF boss. #funkboxforever.

• I just didn’t feel that the UI of MV808 was quite what I was looking for- eg DM1 feels more sort of instant and a closer representation of what that older style of drum machine has to offer. I was hoping for something as close to the original as possible in the aspects of sound and functionality- so I would have sacrificed Link for this. Having said that- and judging by the responses- I may have come to this conclusion a bit too hastily. I think I will have to give it another chance. It seems to be a clear favourite.
    For some reason I have spent a fair bit of cash on apps that I knew that I would probably hardly ever use- but have never bought Funkbox- even though I thought I probably would.
    I am planning to have 808 drums as a solid background for a while- let that do its thing and sort of take care of itself- whilst I concentrate on the musical parts- and see how I get on. To that end as I write this I am now thinking of sampling the life out of MV08 and dropping them into Patterning and DM1- then playing them together with link- the DM1 doing the Bass Drum, Snare and Hats (with its parameter randomisation) and Patterning doing it’s Patterning thing with all the rest of them. Something good has to come out of that surely..........eventually.......... better look out Blocs Wave to help find it.
    Thanks! :)

• @robosardine said:
    I just didn’t feel that the UI of MV808 was quite what I was looking for- eg DM1 feels more sort of instant and a closer representation of what that older style of drum machine has to offer. I was hoping for something as close to the original as possible in the aspects of sound and functionality- so I would have sacrificed Link for this. Having said that- and judging by the responses- I may have come to this conclusion a bit too hastily. I think I will have to give it another chance. It seems to be a clear favourite.
    For some reason I have spent a fair bit of cash on apps that I knew that I would probably hardly ever use- but have never bought Funkbox- even though I thought I probably would.
    I am planning to have 808 drums as a solid background for a while- let that do its thing and sort of take care of itself- whilst I concentrate on the musical parts- and see how I get on. To that end as I write this I am now thinking of sampling the life out of MV08 and dropping them into Patterning and DM1- then playing them together with link- the DM1 doing the Bass Drum, Snare and Hats (with its parameter randomisation) and Patterning doing it’s Patterning thing with all the rest of them. Something good has to come out of that surely..........eventually.......... better look out Blocs Wave to help find it.

Good plan. I like your drum workflow ideas. B)

• I think the DrumPerfect Pro 808 sounds excellent. Not too much FX so you can tune it how you want it.

The other 808 app I have is the EGDR808 which can sound good as well I think and has some nice pattern options. It’s a bit crashy on my iPad Pro though so might need an update.

I’ve never owned an 808 though so just ears...

• MoDrum-!

• wimwim
    edited March 2018

@robosardine said:
    I just didn’t feel that the UI of MV808 was quite what I was looking for- eg DM1 feels more sort of instant and a closer representation of what that older style of drum machine has to offer. I was hoping for something as close to the original as possible in the aspects of sound and functionality- so I would have sacrificed Link for this. Having said that- and judging by the responses- I may have come to this conclusion a bit too hastily. I think I will have to give it another chance. It seems to be a clear favourite.

If you're going to go this route, you could probably save yourself a load of time by grabbing the samples here: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TR-808/samples.

Another way to go if you don't dig MV08 (though I bet you will change your mind as I did), is to load it as an AUv3, in which case it just acts like a sound module, then drive it from other apps. If you're looking for 808 vibe, Rozeta X0X driving MV08 is a nice feel, and Rozeta even introduces @brambos lovingly crafted emulation of the 808's timing quirks.

• Don't have mv08 but reminder led me to his other app Poly. Had a good session. Thanks.

• What about ielectribe? Super easy to use and the sounds could get pretty “classic 808ish” to my ears but I’m not sure how close you need to be. Like it you want an actual emulation I’m sure MV808 is the right one, but if it’s more about that TYPE of sound then maybe the interface of ielectribe will do you good.

• We need the rebirth of ReBirth.

• Side recommendation: Figure has a nice punchy 808 kit as well.

Having used a real 808 I can say that the dry sounds tend to be underwhealming on their own - the signature 808 sounds we know today have all been heavily processed to bring out their character. That leads me to use more produced samples over "accurate".

• Thanks very much for all the suggestions- I will have fun looking into each of them. I actually forgot that I have ReBirth- I had only used it for the 303 sounds before. I have iElectribe as well- but I’m not too good at sculpting sounds- but it does sound great and that flutter pad is crazy.
    Cheers

• You can’t beat some free 808 samples that have been put through a $40k compressor :) : http://blog.liveschool.net/fairchild-808/ All the samples are individual hits.

• edited March 2018

Another vote for loading pattering with various 808 sounds.

If you already own Gadget then the Tokyo kick can provide some low end boom with not much tweaking and the automation is excellent..

• And if you’re looking for samples Music Radar has you covered.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/sampleradar-378-free-808-drum-samples

• @brambos said:
    MV08 would get my vote. What aspect of it are you not too keen on?

Is this MV08 still worth it today (2023) and do you know if it’s still getting updated regularly

• @Samu said:
    Boom 808 (and Boom 909) sound quite nice but both could use an update in the connectivity/recording department. I still have them on my iPad but they don't get used that often...

I never heard of these ones. They’re not even in AppStore anymore. They sound like something I would of jumped on if I had been using iOS music only years earlier

• @Artefact2001 said:
    You can’t beat some free 808 samples that have been put through a $40k compressor :) : http://blog.liveschool.net/fairchild-808/ All the samples are individual hits.

Page not found msg from the LiveSchool link.