Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Analog vs Virtual Analog - Can you tell which is which?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

For me, it's a safer investment as I don't know if apps will disappear from the app store or not, nor if I'll still be playing music on iPad in 5 years. I can use them anywhere.

By buying samples, I really feel like I'm buying something that belongs to me for real.

This was very helpful thank you! I’ve gone on a splurge of apps this year, but I understand the fear that apps will disappear or become abandonware. I think it’s fascinating how many people seem to keep an old iOS device going in order to keep access to apps which have gone (such as the PPG apps).

I have in mind ripping samples from my old main Roland keyboard (which I’ve used to death) to upload into my Nord Stage 3, but in some ways it makes more sense (if I can figure out a simple workflow) to use AudioLayer, as that would mean benefiting from multisamples.

I’m definitely not a purist when it comes to analogue gear though. I need things which are quick and fun to keep my interest going and get the ideas out. I used to have a load of vintage analogue stuff, and I love the idea of it, but plugging it all in and keeping it ready to record was too hard… so I’d often just gravitate back to other gear because it was quicker.

High quality emulations are often good enough for what I need though - if I think it sounds good enough then as far as I am concerned it is.

• @BCKeys said:
    ... but I understand the fear that apps will disappear or become abandonware I think it’s fascinating how many people seem to keep an old iOS device going in order to keep access to apps which have gone (such as the PPG apps).

Imho the PPG apps are among the few apps that stand out so much it‘s worth keeping them, let alone the idevice required to run them is less than 100 bucks today.
    I have a ton of abandonware on a Pro Tools 5 TDM system and would have no problem at all if it were my only system. In fact I prefer most of those „outdated“ plugins versus current VSTs.

Matter of facts there are „better“ reverbs on PC/Mac like Valhalla, Relab and Exponential Audio (now Izotope), or better guitar amp sims like Bias, Nembrini, Overloud, Scuffham.
    But whenever I setup a comparison, the difference was neither crucial nor night and day, at least for my purpose.
    While I consider myself a critical listener, recent years have changed my perspective more towards a „what exactly serves the track ?“ instead of outstanding technical facts or features.

If something sounds good or is useful in a certain context it may do the job after 20 years as it did at release time... o:)