Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pitch shift real time

OK so apart from tonestack wanger (whammy) pedal I haven't found any good real-time pitch shifting solutions. Tonestack is definitely the best so far although it doesn't preserve transients super well so you get a little bit of glitcheyness when shifting occasionally.

Noticed that ELASTIC FX has a pitch shift. How well does it work in real time in terms of latency and sound quality?

Also virsynth has MULTIBAND SHIFT and there's also random stuff like the new analoge delay pitch shift app DISCORD4. Not sure if it's suitable for what I need it for.

Also I'm limited to iphone so theres that as well. Basically I need a real-time pitch shifting for my instruments that works real time (on iphone) and can handle chords

Feedback? Thoughts? Solutions?

Comments

• I just a ultra quick test with discord and I think it could do the job. I think that it will really depend much on the ratio between buffer and sound material

• Yes, Discord4 works pretty well. Funny that none of the reviews really explore the pitch shifting part much at all in the sense of transposing the signal in notes or to get chords from single notes. I thought that was supposed to be it’s main feature. Great app in any case!

• I suggest this one, as well as those others mentioned.

• @Munibeast said:
    Yes, Discord4 works pretty well. Funny that none of the reviews really explore the pitch shifting part much at all in the sense of transposing the signal in notes or to get chords from single notes. I thought that was supposed to be it’s main feature. Great app in any case!

Yep, Discord4 works pretty well. Personally, pitch shift was the first thing I messed around with after purchase

• edited March 2018

Would the delay in Discord4 be an issue as far as latency? With delay turned down and wet signal up would it work for guitar playing or would latency cause it feel off?

What about elastic FX? Any experience with that?

I love the way audiostretch pitch shifts. Wish I had a real time version of that.

• ElasticFx pitch shift sounds great, but not sure about using it with live guitar. I will try to test it.

• edited March 2018

@thesoundtestroom hey Doug what's your opinion on this? Any good options for guitarists to entirely pitch shift their playing real-time (including chords) on the iPhone?

I've always wanted to see a video of yours exploring different options/apps/techniques for doing this.

Tonestack does full chord pitch shifting pretty well but it doesn't preserve transients so things can get tinny or metallic sounding (still the best option so far tho for real time)

• Superpowered audio engine claims it's faster and more efficient than core audio or other engines. Wonder if there's any real time pitch shifting apps with their algorithm

http://superpowered.com/time-stretching

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Would the delay in Discord4 be an issue as far as latency? With delay turned down and wet signal up would it work for guitar playing or would latency cause it feel off?

What about elastic FX? Any experience with that?

I love the way audiostretch pitch shifts. Wish I had a real time version of that.

Since there is no pitch shifting without buffer it will really come up to you to find the best combo of buffer size, shift applied and induced latency. If you want sharp transients the buffer should be small while if the content is tonal you’ll need longer frames to properly work. Best option could be a dual setup with some sort of sidechaining and gating with short buffer for transients and longer for sustain. Dunno if it’s doable on iOS tho

• I usually do the pitch shifting on guitar leads and stuff but not whole chords.
    So ToneStack is perfect. Haven’t tried my guitar with Discord4.

@Panthemusicalgoat said:
    @thesoundtestroom hey Doug what's your opinion on this? Any good options for guitarists to entirely pitch shift their playing real-time (including chords) on the iPhone?

I've always wanted to see a video of yours exploring different options/apps/techniques for doing this.

Tonestack does full chord pitch shifting pretty well but it doesn't preserve transients so things can get tinny or metallic sounding (still the best option so far tho for real time)

• edited March 2018

Sometimes I take tracks (usually guitar strumming) and lower it a few semis in audiostretch. I could play the chords lower myself since they're barred major/minor chords but something about the pitch shifted sounds dark and rich to my ears in a unique way. Wish there was a good way to do it real time

• Not sure if this is helpful but FAC Transient was released on the App Store today. Maybe that could improve attack and sustain issues after pitch shifting?

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Superpowered audio engine claims it's faster and more efficient than core audio or other engines. Wonder if there's any real time pitch shifting apps with their algorithm

http://superpowered.com/time-stretching

Been waiting for years and got me a Whammy tank instead.

• @noisefan said:
    Not sure if this is helpful but FAC Transient was released on the App Store today. Maybe that could improve attack and sustain issues after pitch shifting?

No. The existence of halfway clearly defined attack transients in the audio material is vital for a transient shaper to detect them. If they have been smeared by another algorithm, one could only try to synthesize them (which FAC Transient does too, somewhat) but the results sound very bad in most cases. Better use the best matching stretch/pitch shift algorithm in the first place.

• edited March 2018

Harmony eight is cool with monophonic shifting that preserves formant but the poly.(Chord and song) shifting is definitely not as robust as tonestack.

Surprisingly garageband has an apple au filter called AUNEWPITCH that is really nice. Too bad it's not an app/au fx thing even tho the code is there. It had pitch lock and overlap settings to find the right sound. Wish something else had this

To be fair tho the latency is not good enough for performance even tho you can use it real time (sounds like 200ms). Pitch shifting must be one of those Holy grail of processing kind of things. Makes sense that the stitching of samples that have been shifted to adjust for time causes some latency. Too bad we can't get it better sounding and still keep latency to a minimum.

Seriously tonestack is the only thing on ios that does this in a reasonable way real time that doesn't sound like an out of control chorus pedal.

Feel like it could still be better tho

• Like there's not an elastic pitch plugin for ios that's AU and bet people would eat that up. Especially if it had OPTIONS