Free Single Cycle Editor, useful for iOS -runs in browser

«1

Comments

  • That is very cool indeed. B) I’m thinking Animoog timbres, or maybe wavetable material. Good for just experimenting and learning too.
    Thanks for sharing this. :)

  • yeah animoog and knave will surely get the business over here :)

  • This is pretty neat! Just about the only thing missing is manual 'draw mode' :)

  • @Samu said:
    This is pretty neat! Just about the only thing missing is manual 'draw mode' :)

    if that's something that's feasible in a browser you might want to give the dev a shout, he seems like the kind of guy that likes good ideas.

  • Is there an iOS synth that is able to play waveforms that you can draw right on the screen?

  • Caustic's SubSynth lets you draw waveforms.

  • edited March 6

    @david_2017 said:
    Is there an iOS synth that is able to play waveforms that you can draw right on the screen?

    I believe Addictive Synth allows that. At least the Micro version I have does it.

  • @JonLewis said:
    Caustic's SubSynth lets you draw waveforms.

    Caustic PCM Synth supports these SCW samples, too.

  • @david_2017 said:
    Is there an iOS synth that is able to play waveforms that you can draw right on the screen?

    Sunvox.

  • @CracklePot @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr
    Thank you guys! I will have a look!

  • Does PPG Infinite let you draw waveforms too?

  • Drawing a static waveform isn’t as useful as you’d think – you could run through a whole bunch of different shapes and walk away thinking that they all sounded the same (at least, that’s what people who invested the many tens of thousands to purchase a Fairlight CMI often found). The additional thing needed is a specific evolution of sound from one wave shape to another wave shape, via a particular transformation (or transformations). Hence, you’d need to draw at least two waveforms and interpolate between them, to make anything like a ‘natural’ sound with some kind of movement, otherwise all the single wave cycles you draw will sound very similar.

    Also, there’s Kamata.

  • edited March 7

    I got good results twisting single cycles with a graphic eq ...
    its a little unusual approach but does its thing :)
    i had nothing to do and was just fucking around
    works
    with apple graphic eq you can draw, but not on iOS ...
    start with something interesting looking and go from there ...

  • edited March 7

    @u0421793 said:
    Drawing a static waveform isn’t as useful as you’d think – you could run through a whole bunch of different shapes and walk away thinking that they all sounded the same (at least, that’s what people who invested the many tens of thousands to purchase a Fairlight CMI often found). The additional thing needed is a specific evolution of sound from one wave shape to another wave shape, via a particular transformation (or transformations). Hence, you’d need to draw at least two waveforms and interpolate between them, to make anything like a ‘natural’ sound with some kind of movement, otherwise all the single wave cycles you draw will sound very similar.

    Also, there’s Kamata.

    if you mess the single cycle up with subtractive approach (or fm) (or pseudo pwm) (or wave folder, what have you) afterwards its very useful without having to create tons of single cycles ... its just an oscillator(waveform) ...
    i was having lots of fun with adventure kids single cycles and a crossfade looper with filters, lfos and envelopes ...
    a saw, pulse, sine or triangle sounds very boring too if you do nothing with it ;)

    https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

    you don't have to follow the rules with this stuff, thats what makes it fun, its just a (very short) sample, get wild :)

  • One fun thing to do with this on-line waveform editor is to leave the play-button on and mess with the settings.
    It's nice for all types of glitchy stuff. In practice treat the single-cycle wave as a sample oscillator, play it at different pitches and mess with the entire source wave while it's being played back.

    This would be a good base for a synth.app with added modulation capabilities similar to the apesoft apps where every parameter can be modulated :)

  • a synth with 2 sample oscillators and some others that lets you insert an au fx before the mixer and filter for each oscillator would be nice to have ...

  • btw. there is no link to the thing
    here it goes
    http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/editor.html

  • @Max23 said:
    a synth with 2 sample oscillators and some others that lets you insert an au fx before the mixer and filter for each oscillator would be nice to have ...

    The ordering of the 'blocks' would be a nice bonus, ie. optionally mix/multiply/ring/warp/phase mod the waves before passing them thru a filter or control the amplitude of the waves before they are mixed/multiplied etc etc.
    (For added mayhem, let one of the waves control the parameters of the other wave on a per-sample/cycle basis).

  • edited March 7

    I really like the sound of pitched noise as waveform not much lets you do that, they all just do pink & white and maybe blue ...
    i was fucking around with paulstretch and a pitch shifter yesterday ...

  • @Max23 said:
    I really like the sound of pitched noise as waveform not much lets you do that ...
    i was fucking around with paulstretch and a pitch shifter yesterday ...

    I love the sound of SID noise :)
    https://sourceforge.net/p/sidplay-residfp/wiki/SID internals - Noise Generator/

  • edited March 7

    @Samu said:

    @Max23 said:
    I really like the sound of pitched noise as waveform not much lets you do that ...
    i was fucking around with paulstretch and a pitch shifter yesterday ...

    I love the sound of SID noise :)
    https://sourceforge.net/p/sidplay-residfp/wiki/SID internals - Noise Generator/

    if I remember right it sounds not like white noise, so thats a plus haha
    I would also like to mess with white noise adjusted to the fletcher Munson curve, I forgot what the color is called
    that should be interesting for sound design ... oh its grey noise
    btw. the noise from the Moog thing together with the filterbank is very very effective
    noise is such an underrated sound and never gets much attention in synth design
    I don't know why, its such a natural thing ...
    well mr. palm is an exception here ...

  • Noise as a modulator is a thing I’m into.

  • If I used this to save out 16 single cycle waveforms, which maybe evolve one to the next, can anyone talk me through what I would need to do to create a new AniMoog timbre that could be loaded and used?

  • @u0421793 said:
    Noise as a modulator is a thing I’m into.

    that too.
    but it its also great as sound source when filtered to taste
    nave has an interesting approach here, thx to mr. palm ...

  • edited March 7

    I suggest again a graphic eq to mess further with single cycles,
    just don't touch the very low and high (thats the beginning and end of the sample now ...) or it will create clicks because you are moving the waveform away from zero crossing ...
    it does things I really didn't expect, I guess its because its such a short sample B)
    was a happy accident when I discovered this :)

  • Great app. Once you have rendered a wave, is there a way to record it on your ipad (without having to use a laptop). For exemple how can I record this one directly on my ipad : http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/render/file/wav_1520422623495.wav

  • @cuscolima said:
    Great app. Once you have rendered a wave, is there a way to record it on your ipad (without having to use a laptop). For exemple how can I record this one directly on my ipad : http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/render/file/wav_1520422623495.wav

    open the url in google reader
    that lets you download the file
    and then you can do open in ...

  • @Max23 said:

    @cuscolima said:
    Great app. Once you have rendered a wave, is there a way to record it on your ipad (without having to use a laptop). For exemple how can I record this one directly on my ipad : http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/render/file/wav_1520422623495.wav

    open the url in google reader
    that lets you download the file
    and then you can do open in ...

    Thanks but Google reader seems to be discontinued. Any alternative ?

  • @cuscolima said:

    @Max23 said:

    @cuscolima said:
    Great app. Once you have rendered a wave, is there a way to record it on your ipad (without having to use a laptop). For exemple how can I record this one directly on my ipad : http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/render/file/wav_1520422623495.wav

    open the url in google reader
    that lets you download the file
    and then you can do open in ...

    Thanks but Google reader seems to be discontinued. Any alternative ?

    Documents by Readdle works well for me.
    https://readdle.com/documents

  • @Samu said:

    @cuscolima said:

    @Max23 said:

    @cuscolima said:
    Great app. Once you have rendered a wave, is there a way to record it on your ipad (without having to use a laptop). For exemple how can I record this one directly on my ipad : http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/render/file/wav_1520422623495.wav

    open the url in google reader
    that lets you download the file
    and then you can do open in ...

    Thanks but Google reader seems to be discontinued. Any alternative ?

    Documents by Readdle works well for me.
    https://readdle.com/documents

    Great, Documents works perfectly ! Thanks a lot

Sign In or Register to comment.