Desert Island Synth

24

Comments

  • @JeffChasteen said:

    @Arpseechord said:
    I’ve answered this question before and I’ll stick with my same choice
    Phonem because I’ll at least have someone else to talk to besides myself

    Ha!
    Great answer.

    I’ll have to figure out a way to keep my iPad charged on the desert island? If only to keep the conversation going :)

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Arpseechord said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    After SunVox, which is for me also a desert island DAW-

    I included only one Beepstreet, only the newest Yonac, an FM, probably too many wavetable style, no modulars (though they like SunVox are probably the ultimate desert island type, if you’re into it...). No digital emulations of analog classics included, though that may be the purist’s desert island route: iMini, iProphet, iWavestation, iM1, iMono/Poly, iPolysix, iM-20....

    but I think each of these is an attempt to be a desert island or bread and butter instrument, capable of pads leads bass drum etc

    Shout out also to Poison 202, Lorentz, iTuttle...

    Nice selection! How do you feel about Infinite?

    Infinite is a stunner, and I’m only slowly coming to terms with its majesty. I would have put all the PPGs in the box...of the 4 I use Phonem and WaveMapper the most. My survey above was a try at finding the versatile/desert island stuff per the OP, among the 100+ of my “closest friends”

    Infinite, Phonem and Wavemapper intrique me much and since Infinite can receive presets from other PPG synths it can become a huge playground of possibilities. Pantsofdeath video on Infinite is a good intro. Time to put the time in
    Nice you have 100+ closefriends lol

  • Controversial choice but gadget. Since you can make an entire track with it. But if you think that isn't valid Grooverider.

  • Wilson
    ic

  • Currently....Mood.

  • Audulus.

    It would take being stuck on a desert island with one synth to have the time to learn this one! :D

  • @Arpseechord said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Arpseechord said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    After SunVox, which is for me also a desert island DAW-

    I included only one Beepstreet, only the newest Yonac, an FM, probably too many wavetable style, no modulars (though they like SunVox are probably the ultimate desert island type, if you’re into it...). No digital emulations of analog classics included, though that may be the purist’s desert island route: iMini, iProphet, iWavestation, iM1, iMono/Poly, iPolysix, iM-20....

    but I think each of these is an attempt to be a desert island or bread and butter instrument, capable of pads leads bass drum etc

    Shout out also to Poison 202, Lorentz, iTuttle...

    Nice selection! How do you feel about Infinite?

    Infinite is a stunner, and I’m only slowly coming to terms with its majesty. I would have put all the PPGs in the box...of the 4 I use Phonem and WaveMapper the most. My survey above was a try at finding the versatile/desert island stuff per the OP, among the 100+ of my “closest friends”

    Infinite, Phonem and Wavemapper intrique me much and since Infinite can receive presets from other PPG synths it can become a huge playground of possibilities. Pantsofdeath video on Infinite is a good intro. Time to put the time in
    Nice you have 100+ closefriends lol

    Probably sad that I count synths as friends :)

  • @oat_phipps said:
    Zeeon was the one that finally made me stop caring about getting every new synth that came out. I’m gonna go with that.

    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. It may not do granular, FM or wavetable synthesis, but as far as subtractive synthesis, its sound is king.

  • Ppg infinite also, a sounddesigner’s dream to me

  • Thanks folks - very useful. Also very confusing. :D Forever open to further suggestions

    Should've mentioned that AUv3 support is highly appealing as I've had my fill of IAA loading issues etc - I guess that puts some of the non-AU options on the back foot to a degree

    • PPG stuff possibly merits a closer look - lots of love for Wolfgang's wares clearly!
    • Sunvox just scares me, I won't lie! powerful though it seems
    • Not sure I can wait for Synthmaster One for iOS to be released and later become AUv3-ised (won't be supported on release) - which is a shame as it has appeal
    • Syntronik looks impressive but could get expensive with all those IAPs (and what if they then stop developing it a la Z3TA+ and Nave)
    • Zeeon is the one I guess I'm edging towards the most - a few solid endorsements. But how many of the IAPs do you realistically need on Zeeon?

    Can anyone comment on Poison-202, is that one quite niche? I thought there might have been some mention of it.

  • @R_2 said:

    @Samu said:
    iWavestation for me since we're talking synths and not combined apps.

    +1

    https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/8d/wc05iacklchz.jpg

    Now THAT's a desert island synth :D

  • @Arpseechord said:

    @JeffChasteen said:

    @Arpseechord said:
    I’ve answered this question before and I’ll stick with my same choice
    Phonem because I’ll at least have someone else to talk to besides myself

    Ha!
    Great answer.

    I’ll have to figure out a way to keep my iPad charged on the desert island? If only to keep the conversation going :)

  • @Arpseechord said:
    I’ve answered this question before and I’ll stick with my same choice
    Phonem because I’ll at least have someone else to talk to besides myself

    Phonem it is!

  • @zeroG said:

    • Zeeon is the one I guess I'm edging towards the most - a few solid endorsements. But how many of the IAPs do you realistically need on Zeeon?

    +1

    Zeeon would be my choice as well. How many IAPs you need is really up to you. Are you a preset user or a sound design type? Get the free ones to start with, then learn to make your own sounds. If you change your mind there will surely be more IAPs for Zeeon in the future. Just my two cents.

  • Animoog

    I use it EVERY SESSION no matter what.

    Only app that is used 100% of the time.

  • edited March 6

    @zeroG said:
    Thanks folks - very useful. Also very confusing. :D Forever open to further suggestions

    Should've mentioned that AUv3 support is highly appealing as I've had my fill of IAA loading issues etc - I guess that puts some of the non-AU options on the back foot to a degree

    • PPG stuff possibly merits a closer look - lots of love for Wolfgang's wares clearly!
    • Sunvox just scares me, I won't lie! powerful though it seems
    • Not sure I can wait for Synthmaster One for iOS to be released and later become AUv3-ised (won't be supported on release) - which is a shame as it has appeal
    • Syntronik looks impressive but could get expensive with all those IAPs (and what if they then stop developing it a la Z3TA+ and Nave)
    • Zeeon is the one I guess I'm edging towards the most - a few solid endorsements. But how many of the IAPs do you realistically need on Zeeon?

    Can anyone comment on Poison-202, is that one quite niche? I thought there might have been some mention of it.

    Poison is definitely (at the very very least) an honorable mention- while it may be considered to be niche: “vintage”, “80s and 90s” sounds of The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers etal (this per the dev), it’s feature rich and highly versatile...and the dev does incredible things (see his Groove Rider GR-16)

    A redo of my list above, adjusted for AUv3 only, would definitely include Poison 202 in first the tier.

  • Thanks folks - very useful. Also very confusing. :D Forever open to further suggestions

    • Sunvox just scares me, I won't lie! powerful though it seems
    • Zeeon is the one I guess I'm edging towards the most - a few solid endorsements. But how many of the IAPs do you realistically need on Zeeon?

    It's only the tracker on Sunvox that is opaque to me, but you don't have to use it at all. The synth and the effects are pretty easy to get going with.

    You don't need any IAPs on Zeeon. It's very easy to program your own variations on the stock presets.

  • Another one i felt in love with is TF8. The best string sounds of any synth (on iOS at least) plus best reverb.
    It‘s (beside Alchemy) the most epic sounding synth on iOS.

  • Yes TF8 is fantastic.

  • Plectrum

  • edited March 7

    Maaaaan, this is hard...cuz there are a few greats

    Alchemy would be a mega win if it was the entire engine as available in Logic Pro....but once again it’s not

    Leaving me to say something strange...

    Beatmaker3...anything can be a waveform, and the modulation etc makes it super duper capable...so hands down beatmaker 3 is the ultimate synth in here.

  • @zeroG said:

    @Arpseechord said:

    @JeffChasteen said:

    @Arpseechord said:
    I’ve answered this question before and I’ll stick with my same choice
    Phonem because I’ll at least have someone else to talk to besides myself

    Ha!
    Great answer.

    I’ll have to figure out a way to keep my iPad charged on the desert island? If only to keep the conversation going :)

    Clever idea, was also thinking of checking out some episodes of Gilligans Island before leaving...might come in handy

  • @zeroG said:

    @Arpseechord said:
    I’ve answered this question before and I’ll stick with my same choice
    Phonem because I’ll at least have someone else to talk to besides myself

    Phonem it is!

    Very good choice!

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Arpseechord said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Arpseechord said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    After SunVox, which is for me also a desert island DAW-

    I included only one Beepstreet, only the newest Yonac, an FM, probably too many wavetable style, no modulars (though they like SunVox are probably the ultimate desert island type, if you’re into it...). No digital emulations of analog classics included, though that may be the purist’s desert island route: iMini, iProphet, iWavestation, iM1, iMono/Poly, iPolysix, iM-20....

    but I think each of these is an attempt to be a desert island or bread and butter instrument, capable of pads leads bass drum etc

    Shout out also to Poison 202, Lorentz, iTuttle...

    Nice selection! How do you feel about Infinite?

    Infinite is a stunner, and I’m only slowly coming to terms with its majesty. I would have put all the PPGs in the box...of the 4 I use Phonem and WaveMapper the most. My survey above was a try at finding the versatile/desert island stuff per the OP, among the 100+ of my “closest friends”

    Infinite, Phonem and Wavemapper intrique me much and since Infinite can receive presets from other PPG synths it can become a huge playground of possibilities. Pantsofdeath video on Infinite is a good intro. Time to put the time in
    Nice you have 100+ closefriends lol

    Probably sad that I count synths as friends :)

    On this forum not so sad really :)

  • edited March 7

    Today I found the below thread from mid-2017, interestingly a number of folk allude to Poison-202’s versatility, so perhaps that’s one to shortlist after all. Also Micrologue gets a nod which is interesting (I’m a Cubasis user). Lastly no-one here has championed any Yonac synths - I did wonder about KASPAR as a sole synth but er maybe not? Anyway thanks for all the input, here’s the link to the thread I found: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19435/choosing-your-synth-app-only-one/p1

  • Animoog. I have a gajillion synths and I would pick this one in a heartbeat. The iPhone version so I could run it on my iPhone and iPad.

  • edited March 7

    @zeroG said:
    Today I found the below thread from mid-2017, interestingly a number of folk allude to Poison-202’s versatility, so perhaps that’s one to shortlist after all. Also Micrologue gets a nod which is interesting (I’m a Cubasis user). Lastly no-one here has championed any Yonac synths - I did wonder about KASPAR as a sole synth but er maybe not? Anyway thanks for all the input, here’s the link to the thread I found: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19435/choosing-your-synth-app-only-one/p1

    I had trouble including choosing only one Yonac in the 16 I suggested above (Kauldron, a sort of update of Magellan, though Kaspar is pretty great. Kauldron got better notes here on the forum I think) all three are bread and butter/desert island candidates.

    I wish I’d also mentioned Mood, incredibly versatile with its sample loading facility and its AUv3...but others mentioned it

  • edited March 7

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @zeroG said:
    Today I found the below thread from mid-2017, interestingly a number of folk allude to Poison-202’s versatility, so perhaps that’s one to shortlist after all. Also Micrologue gets a nod which is interesting (I’m a Cubasis user). Lastly no-one here has championed any Yonac synths - I did wonder about KASPAR as a sole synth but er maybe not? Anyway thanks for all the input, here’s the link to the thread I found: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19435/choosing-your-synth-app-only-one/p1

    I had trouble including choosing only one Yonac in the 16 (Kauldron, a sort of update of Magellan, though Kaspar is pretty great. Kauldron got better notes here on the forum I think) all three are bread and butter/desert island candidates.

    I wish I’d also mentioned Mood, incredibly versatile with its sample loading facility and its AUv3...but others mentioned it

    Ah yes you did mention both Poison and Kauldron so fair play ... but then you did list 16 synths ;)

    Love Magellan though I fear it will be abandoned in the not too distant future in favour of Yonac’s bright young things. Nowhere near as keen on Kauldron

  • LayR - endless possibilities. Nave and Zeeon are on the subs bench.

Sign In or Register to comment.