Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand making no sound when using multiple AU’s

Is this just a system limitation, or am I missing something here? I’m using a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 in, which I understand might be part of the problem...

Basically I’ll put discord 4 on a drum sequencer track - fine. Add FAC chorus or something like that, fine. Try to do that same thing with adding a bass line (without exiting the program entirely and saving the file first) - forget it, the playhead will keep moving on without any sound. No sound from anything in my system, until I close GarageBand entirely. I really don’t feel like I’m pushing the system / cpu that far...I’m talking like 2 effects at once - it shouldn’t be that hard?

Very annoying when trying to tweak sounds on the fly, as it completely interrupts my flow. If this is an Apple problem I wish they’d just show a warning first because it’s embarrassingly sad that I am running into problems like that ... like I said, unless I’m missing something here? Obviously I can just work around this and gb isn’t my main workflow anyways, but I thought I’d reach out to see if this is a known issue - I couldn’t seem to find much on it.

Thanks folks

Comments

• edited March 2018

I would suggest rebooting the iPad and experimenting on some records without using Audio Damage plugins. They sound great but very frequently cause drop outs (such as you mentioned) in the GB engine in my experience. Discord in particular has seemed less stable than the others...Dubstation 2 is another

I’m not convinced that plugins built on the JUCE framework are the most stable in iOS land.

• @realdavidai said:
    I would suggest rebooting the iPad and experimenting on some records without Audio Damage plugins. They are great but very frequently cause drop outs (such as you mentioned) in the GB engine in my experience.

I’m not convinced that plugins built on the JUCE framework are the most stable in iOS land.

Thanks, I will try this and post an update later. I had no idea audio unit plugins were built on different frameworks, and have a limited understanding of all that but it makes sense

• Garageband does not work well with MULTIPLE AU's.

the moment the AU count is 4+ .....the probability of all kinds of weird happening is great

• edited March 2018

@hisdudeness said:
    Garageband does not work well with MULTIPLE AU's.

the moment the AU count is 4+ .....the probability of all kinds of weird happening is great

Probably because there’s a greater likelihood of using a buggy AU. I’ve regularly use GB projects with 20 AU or so with no issue. But when I use Audio Damage or Virsyn...eventually there will be a problem

• @realdavidai said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Garageband does not work well with MULTIPLE AU's.

Probably because there’s a greater likelihood of using a buggy AU. I’ve regularly use GB projects with 20 AU or so with no issue. But when I use Audio Damage or Virsyn...eventually there will be a problem

that is probably correct, because i use AU's from different companies
    Each with their own set of quirks

Even EOS2.. when I change presets while song is PLAYING , GB crashes sometimes

• Yeah same thing happens in bm3 so I’m inclined to say it’s the audio damage plugins.

• I've given up on the au platform for now, similar weird issues in auria, related to the buffer which must be set to 512, and my air 1 can't deal well with that. I basically use ios now for stereo recordings into Audioshare with my itrack pocket or quick song sketch demos in garageband. I just got a 2012 macbook pro with a quad i7 and 16gb ram, that should cover my music needs for now.

My iPad is a useful controller for digital mixers, great for reading charts on gigs, great for taking notes using goodnotes, and the occasional fun with gadget or something, but I'm not using it for production much now.

That didn't necessarily answer your question but I understand the frustration and don't need it right now, I have plenty in other areas of my life!

• I also have the same issue with Audio Damage plugins in GB. Crashing, loud buzzing, launching with all controls pegged to 10 etc. Started having the same issues with them in Logic too. They are nice plugins but are not stable with Apple au hosts from my experience.

• @jenkweb said:
    I also have the same issue with Audio Damage plugins in GB. Crashing, loud buzzing, launching with all controls pegged to 10 etc. Started having the same issues with them in Logic too. They are nice plugins but are not stable with Apple au hosts from my experience.

Good to know...Thanks

• edited March 2018

@realdavidai said:

@jenkweb said:
    I also have the same issue with Audio Damage plugins in GB. Crashing, loud buzzing, launching with all controls pegged to 10 etc. Started having the same issues with them in Logic too. They are nice plugins but are not stable with Apple au hosts from my experience.

Good to know...Thanks

Have you got some feedback about GB update concerning export issues with AU effects not rendering properly? I’ve sent you some GB projects by mail about that a while ago.

Because of this rendering issue with AU GB is not usable for my needs.