Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2018

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @AndyPlankton And it was enjoyable for this old git as well so thank you for allowing the zimmer to say Killing Joke words on a track written by a young thruster in the music business. But Andy, please don’t put my name alongside those of the ‘technicals’ used. You know with:

‘Novation Circuit’ I couldn’t work it, and ‘Korg Electribe’ was impossible to describe, because ‘Ruismaker FM’ caused mayhem, down in ‘Galileo’ to the exhaust of my Renato Clio. Oh yeah, ‘Rock Drum Machine’ from Aberdeen split my fucking spleen, and don’t dare mention when you dropped the ‘Kauldron’ that broke my neck like Bert Trautmann, (had to get one in there). ‘DDMF Envelope’ gave brief hope, but a ‘Kosmonaut’ dumped a Tomahawk, missile and all the while, ‘Wave Folder’ gave me the cold shoulder, and ‘Dubstation Two’; the flu. ‘Waves Q10’ from Phnom Penh, and ‘Maxima’ (just south of Panama) formed chronicles of eczema, on my sack of lack.... due to ‘VoiceRack.’

Fabulously dancy music. Sack the singer.

Reviews to be written in rehab. Strewth Andy! :)

Young thruster...LMAO wait til I tell the mrs.

What do you mean tell her? What’s up with you young pups! :)

• Hello everyone, it’s been a few months since I’ve been involved here, but thought I’d chime in before month’s end and share the latest track I’ve been working on with my songwriting student. I always love the feedback from everyone, and I’ll share my thoughts on some of the earlier tracks a little later today. Hope you enjoy!

• @richardyot, enjoyed your track a lot! Firt time I had heard Middle East Drums in action, and I was impressed. Liked the way you varied up the patterns and changed up the different instruments. Much better than the same static (or only slightly varied) groove playing throughout a piece. Nice chord progression; I especially liked the use of the I and iii chords on the chorus. Liked the double tracking of the voice on the verses which then evolved into full-on harmonies on the chorus. Critiques would be: Though I love the cello sound, the little interlude in the middle of the piece sounded a little bit rambling, cello-wise. I didn't get the sense that the melody had been fully formed or thought out. Apologies if this wasn't the case. Also, (personal taste here, as you'll glean from my submissions) I prefer intros that only start with 1 or 2 of the instruments, especially percussion-wise. Rather than start with a banging (in a good way) drum loop and the pad and the cello, maybe strip a lot of that away until a bit further into the song. Obviously not the cello, and maybe not the pad, but perhaps the drums could have been a lot more minimalist during the intro. Just a thought; I've stumbled across this technique a few times when I'd laid down a bunch of parts and inadvertently had many of them muted when I hit play. Loved the result, and then I could really hit the listener when I brought them all in.

• @Joel75 said:
    Hello everyone, it’s been a few months since I’ve been involved here, but thought I’d chime in before month’s end and share the latest track I’ve been working on with my songwriting student. I always love the feedback from everyone, and I’ll share my thoughts on some of the earlier tracks a little later today. Hope you enjoy!

Nice production mate...... Top Banana. Enjoyed it ;)

• Well I've never been told "Top Banana" before, but I'll take it. Thanks!

• @LostBoy85, really nice track. As piano and acoustic guitar are my primary instruments, I always enjoy mixes where those 2 instruments play well together. You managed to take the piano, guitar, and organ (3 instruments that can occupy a lot of the same frequencies), and blend them nicely. Performance was top notch, and I thought the vocal harmonies, both male and female, were beautifully done. Well crafted, songwriting-wise, nice little country/folk/pop hybrid. A couple of suggestions, if I may: A touch of reverb (or a touch more reverb, though I didn't detect any) on the vocals would have sounded nice, I believe. The male vocal, like my own, is a touch nasally, though still a really nice voice. I've found that cutting a few db around 700hz really helps tone down the nasal quality of my own voice, and I wonder if you've tried doing the same. Finally, I wish that 4th chord in the intro (that sort of minor iv over the V) had made another appearance elsewhere in the tune. I love unexpected chord changes that still sound good, and I think that could have shown up somewhere else! Great job, looking forward to hearing more from you.

• Be sure the dog will always return to his vomit.

• @Joel75 said:
    Hello everyone, it’s been a few months since I’ve been involved here, but thought I’d chime in before month’s end and share the latest track I’ve been working on with my songwriting student. I always love the feedback from everyone, and I’ll share my thoughts on some of the earlier tracks a little later today. Hope you enjoy!

I like how you build up the song and the arrangement. The instruments enter the song at the right moment. I could see this song play on the radio. For my personal taste I really like the melody but I think that radio songs usually have a more distinction between verse and chorus. Great production. What instruments and DAW did you use?

• @Joel75 said:
    Well I've never been told "Top Banana" before, but I'll take it. Thanks!

It's an old South London expression...... (as I am an Old Git, & from South London originally ....... :D )... Means "Top Man"....... (all good stuff)...... ;)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Be sure the dog will always return to his vomit.

Nice one Johnny. Did you take a breath when to spoke threw that whole track, or was that in one deep long breath before starting? Loved the Ragga style drums throughout(I was expecting Yellowman, or Papa San, or Elephant man to start bursting out some chanting in a 1982 Dancehall Stylee at the end)....... But seriously, loved it. ;)

• Thanks, @fattigman! I used Cakewalk Sonar for this song, using primarily Bazille, Iris2, and Addictive Keys VSTs, NI Battery for some of the drums. Izotope Ozone Elements to master. Though I've made a few iOS only productions in the past, I've been using Sonar for so long I'm quite comfortable with it, and really like some of the VSTs I've acquired. At the same time however, I absolutely adore some of the sounds in Gadget and GarageBand, so I really want to devise a way to work in both platforms, sending what I work up in Gadget and GB to the desktop for further tweaking, and probably mixing and mastering. iOS for me currently is a great inspiration-starter, but I want to use it for more than that.

• @trackedout love the chaotic drum solo, and the way the guitars come in and out during it, adds a lot of life to the track.

It's a good track, a solid groove being driven by the guitar riff and the drums, with the usual laid-back vocals that always contrast so nicely with the more driven sounds from the guitars. The bass lines are always fun to listen out for as well. The guitar is pretty tight in this one, but it still has that feeling that everything might fall apart at any moment!

• @AndyPlankton @Bluepunk this is like John Lydon as guest vocalist on a Dreadzone track. Love the music, it's really good and the contrast with bluey's vitriolic vocalising is pretty cool. To be fair bluey is quite restrained in this one, almost laid-back (Dr probably changed his meds up after complaints from family members and local constabulary).

Would like to see the lyrics in writing, always makes it a little easier to follow the sometimes tricky stream-of-consciousness.

A great collaboration, you two should hook up again.

• @Joel75 great entry, your student has an amazing voice as usual, and the arrangement and instrumentation are very contemporary with the bleeping synth alongside the keys.

I like the groove, and the dynamics and the ebb and flow of the track. Maybe some more instrumental melodies or hooks would have been nice but that's a minor niggle, especially as there are some really nice and interesting instrumental counter-melodies behind the vocals in places. It's a very professional sounding track performed with enormous polish. Nice laid-back vocal melody and delivery as well, gives a slow melancholic mood to the song.

And thanks also for the very detailed and thoughtful feedback you have provided, always appreciated.

• @JohnnyGoodyear good to see you decided not to skip class this month after all... It's bad luck to break the chain, and you don't want to leave me with the bragging rights of being the only one to not miss a month since inception, you need to be right on my heels, breathing down my neck :)

There's a lot of words to take in here, and it's a weird tale so quite hard to keep up with, I can't say I know what the track is about but I let it wash over me and enjoyed as is, like a dream in a Bukowski novel.

The vocal treatment is pretty cool, it really enhances the spoken word and adds to the intensity of the story, gives the voice an urgency which is also reinforced by the delivery, really good job on that combination of performance and processing.

• I'm new around here, be kind :p for a day or two. I got here beacuse I saw the FB post about Model D samples this morning.

From my 2018 collection, here's 11PM Dance. Composed entirely with Studio One Artist samples.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Walking through a coastal palace, facing out to sea
    Drinking from a crystal chalice, by an olive tree
    Feel the wind, in your hair
    It's real but you can't perceive it
    It's real, but not for you
    When the tide comes in to the sheltered bay
    Will you lose yourself, will you drift away?

Pulled in by the tide,
    Pulled in by the tide.

Drifting through the barren wreckage of who you used to be
    A wind that blows from the horizon takes you out to sea
    Feel the tide, all around
    It's real but you can't perceive it
    It's real, but not for you
    When the tide comes in to the distant bay
    Will you lose yourself, will you drift away?

Pulled in by the tide,
    Pulled in by the tide.

It's funny how getting new toys to play with always seems to inspire something new. In this case it was the combination of Middle Eastern Drums and the cello in the recent Kapro Orchestral expansion in Module, used in Gadget in this case. Seemed to create some lovely dreamy sounds that formed the backbone of this song.

What a fantastic song, Richard! Bravo! Huge improvement on your songwriting! Enjoyed the simple choruses!

• @studs1966 said:
    Well here's my contribution for this month. I cant believe March is upon us here already? Deep House, with a little sprinkle of Jazz Fusion (with a smidge of Disco strings in there too). 2 mixes of the same song (again). Enjoy. ;)
    1) Deep House Mix.

2) Deep House Sax Mix.

Your beats could be played in any top notch club I know of. Absolutely ready for commercial release, mate! Hats off!

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Hi guys,

First off, thanks to everyone who listened & commented on last months song “Stay Forever.” :)

This months effort is another co-write/duet with Shevaun. It’s a countryish song. All thoughts are welcome.

Great ballad! Your voice shines as usual, and Shevaun’s is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

• @rickwaugh said:
    So this one was a lot of fun. Went to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology, always worth a visit, but this time they had a special show on. The larger native group that inhabited the south coast of BC and Northern Washington state are called the Salish. Amongst many other crafts they were good at, they wove blankets. The art of making them was almost lost after the rest of us showed up, as they were a lot of work, and blankets became cheap. The art has been revived by some very dedicated people, and it is on display in the museum, both old blankets, and the new ones, and info on how they were and are made.

We don’t value things like blankets very much anymore. They’re cheap and easy to get. But before mass production, they were a valuable thing. They took time, scarce materials and ingenuity to make. They were powerful as gift; and the giving of gifts was a public thing, where society witnessed the giving and receiving, an indication of wealth and strength.

I really wanted to be inspired that day, and wrote down the melody that came to me during the show. Wrote this piece around it. Created four drawings to go with it. No, not based on Salish culture, just what came to my head. Hope you like it.

What an interesting composition, Rick! Great harmonies and great rhythm!

• @gmslayton said:
    So here is a weird track. Its a combination of a conversation between me and my son recorded into Fieldscaper, a musicbox, my voice, future drummer and Tardigrain. mixed in AUM with EOS2 over the mix.

What an interesting, cool idea, and great, intriguing textures! Well done, Mitch!

• @trackedout said:

I liked this one very much! Great usuage of FX on your voice. Is it a flanger? Great, raw sounding song!

• @AndyPlankton said:
    This months entry is a collaboration with @bluepunk who has been generous enough to provide his wonderful wit and vocal talents...also @jocphone who has given invaluable input into the mix...thanks both I enjoyed making this with you a lot :)
    For the techies.. the tune was initially composed on Novation Circuit and Korg Electribe....I recorded the MIDI into Cubasis to make the arrangement and do the mixing. Other apps making an appearance are Ruismaker FM, Galileo, Rock Drum machine, Kauldron, DDMF Envelope, Kosmonaut, WaveFolder, Dubstation2, Waves Q10, FAC Maxima, Voicerack.

Wow! This is very cool! Technopunk? EPM (Electronic Punk Music)? Great lyrics and a contagious rhythm! Thanks for sharing!

• @Joel75 said:

Yes, I did enjoy! Who’s the singer? What a great, smooth female voice! Whoever she is, brava! Enjoyed the mix a lot, everything is in place! Congrats!

• @DBecker said:
    I'm new around here, be kind :p for a day or two. I got here beacuse I saw the FB post about Model D samples this morning.

From my 2018 collection, here's 11PM Dance. Composed entirely with Studio One Artist samples.

Very cool! Studio One is a powerful DAW!

• I don’t remember if it’s against the rules - I haven’t posted in SOTMC in months! - but my entry for this month is a cover of one of my fav songs. Enjoy!

• @Joel75 thanks so much for your encouraging and thoughtful feedback mate. Yes, there is reverb, but others have also mentioned there should be more :) at least that’s an easy fix!! :smiley:

• @Joel75 said:

Well, the instrumentation is lovely, the drum intro kicks ass. The singing is beautiful and well mixed, I love the verb echo at the end of certain phrases. There is lots of nice little touches musically for sure & it’s a nice song.

For me though, I wanted a bit more of a hook, the little vocal climb in the chorus is nice,but overall the chorus could be stronger imho, because as I think about what I just heard, the things I’m remembering liking the most are mostly musical & i’m not sure that’s what you want with a pop song.

Please don’t get me wrong, I did really like the song, I just think there’s an even better song lurking in the shadows... :)

Hope that helps.

• @theconnactic said:
    I don’t remember if it’s against the rules - I haven’t posted in SOTMC in months! - but my entry for this month is a cover of one of my fav songs. Enjoy!

Love it!.......... Nicely done. ;)

• @LostBoy85, thanks so much for the feedback! I love the idea of an even better song "lurking in the shadows." I think your comments were very insightful, in that I've been doing production for 20+ years, but my student has only been writing songs for about a year. I appreciate you noticing some of the "little things" in the production, but I agree that the song itself could still use a little work.