Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS DAW poll

Comments

• I've been getting away from iOS daws lately, while I learn Ableton 10 and Reason 10 on desktop. Integrating iOS as a sound source with my Icmidi4+ though...

It's probably wishful thinking, but I think it'd be incredible if iOS daws/apps could implement something like
    Ableton 10's 'capture' ., behind the scenes always recording the last 10 minutes of your noodling, with a button to save the midi if you come up with something inspired ... I've recorded some of my best work in years lately with it, as it relieves the pressure some feel when recording the usual way ... It's out of sight, out of mind ., but always on , ready to grab that diamond in the rough when it pops up out of the blue.

• @tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@tja said:

@Samplemunch said:

@tja said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@epfox said:

@Strizbiz said:

@epfox said:

@richardyot said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    And impc pro 2 and beathawk if you’re counting Beatmaker.

Well I honestly doubt anyone is using those as actual DAWs, but I'm happy to be corrected if wrong. Beatmaker is definitely more viable as a DAW, because it can load external instruments.

I’d like to know if people are using IMPC pro 2 as daw also. It seems to have AU host for instruments and fx. BM3 is only fx for now, so not very useful as a daw unless you don’t need midi recording of instruments. Once it gets that, I might start using it for recording... the interface is very straightforward and intuitive, and it doesn’t overwrite your projects automatically to name two things.

IMpc pro 2 is still getting there but actually doesnt host au fx, just instruments, BeatMaker 3 host both. BeatMaker also lets you use IAA's as instruments and generators , IMpc Pro 2 only lets you sample IAA. BeatMaker 3 is also Audiobus compatible, and it also lets you record 24bit audio vs IMpc Pro 2's 16 bit audio. IMO BM3 is way ahead of Impc Pro 2 right now. Mpc Pro 2 just added stem export but only to ITunes Sharing , BM3 supports the files app/Icloud Drive, DropBox, and BM3's sampler is much better too, you can layer samples. IMpc pro 2 has a lot of catching up to do. I was an MPC 2000 user for over 10 years, I hope IMpc Pro 2 can live up to the Akai name, I just dont think it does yet.

Thanks on the impc to bm3 comparison. They seem visually a bit similar, so I was wondering how they stack up.

As for BM3 supporting AU for instruments, I have BM3, but there’re only 3 options when you hit Add track: New Bank, Audio track, and Aux. There’s no midi track like in Cubasis/Auria, on which you can place an AU instrument and play/record that instrument from within BM3 as midi. ( @AudioGus ?) I’d like to be wrong though ;)

I find BM3 interface more intuitive than Cubasis & Auria. It feels like it’s designed for iPad where as Auria feels likea a straight pc port. The session management in BM3 is much more professional than in these two - no overwriting your projects without you doing so explicitly is a major plus for me. I had a discussion in another thread suggesting that Cubasis and Auria should implement explicit save + additional automatically saved “current” project. But folks suggest that this is due to Apple’s enforcing a certain policy... but now that I got BM3, it just does this exactly the way I mentioned.

BM3 loads AU instruments on pads in a bank. Once you have a blank, press the three lines at the top left. Press plugins and you should see all of the supported AU instruments. Load one of them and close out of the header. Press on the keyboard icon and it should open the AU instrument. BM3 is the king of AU instruments and fx in my opinion

Also, there seem to be major problems with BM3 use of drum sets - as each single instrument will be on its on track. So, you just cannot play a normal track in BM3 and if you created in BM3, you cannot use it in other Apps.

And I am still speechless about the useless CPU meter :o

What does any of that even mean ?
    Each single instrument will be on its own track ?
    By instrument you mean drum sound in a kit ?
    If so then no they can be on their own track or part of a single track kit.
    Can not play a normal track in BM3 ?
    That makes absolutely no sense at all, what is a normal track ?
    If you create in BM3 you cant use elsewhere, yes you can, you save as a stem or export a sample.

What exactly are you talking about ?

We already had about 3 topics around this.
    If you record a MIDI track from a drum kit in any other App, the instruments just get triggered by different notes / pitches.
    All of that in one track.

And this cannot be used in BM3!

The other way around, if you create a MIDI track from a drum kit in BM3, the instruments sit in on their own pad - giving them their own tracks.

You cannot use this in other DAWs.

There seem to be a workaround with focus, but I never fully understood that.

Are you saying you can’t pitch the sounds from a drum kit in a bank in BM3? Because that’s false

I am sorry, but don't understand your sentence.

I tried my best to explain the problem and also thought this had been discussed in several topics in this forum.
    Main part of this problem is, that the instruments are sitting on different pads.

As I said, there is a workaround with focus mapping (?) or something.

You could always build a kit where single sounds are mapped to different notes on a single pad and it will work like any other drum module

• @Carnbot said:
    I find these polls don't work for me (and for quite a few other people too I'm sure). I prefer DAW-less workflow in iOS with AUM + (+AB3) + sequencers + hardware. So I think Dawless + AUM should be an option.

However I'll use the Main Daws for different reasons sometimes on different occasions with BM3 preferred over Auria Pro and Cubasis for track creation.

I hope AP gets AU midi soon :)

I prefer this workflow too. I have most of the DAWs in the poll yet find them to be more cumbersome and leave me feeling like I’m trapped inside a spreadsheet.

• I’ve incl Estes so much in Auria Pro, but currently find myself using AUM AB3 and BM3 the most. Especially since BM3 can do AUs easily and painlessly! For both effects and Synths.

• edited March 2018

No daws, no AU, Groove Rider and other groovebox apps only. And now Grand Finale

• @db909 said:
    No daws, no AU, Groove Rider and other groovebox apps only. And now Grand Finale

Which other apps do you use?

• @db909 said:

What style of music do you produce?

• edited March 2018

@tja said:

@db909 said:

Which other apps do you use?

@ecou said:

@db909 said:

What style of music do you produce?

Figure, iKaossilator, Auxy, Groovebox sometimes. I keep Animoog too for making new sounds. I don’t really know what genre my stuff is, I just make whatever sounds good to me at the time

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@realdavidai said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’m sure I can mix a beat down on iOS but I can’t do an entire session without some kind of pitch correction

Primary reason I use GB. If you set the project key correctly the integrated real-time pitch correction is as good as the one on desktop. However there’s no flex of course

The GarageBand pitch correction is cool but it still lacks a lot of control with what notes I want to bypass etc

Gotchya. WavesTune is at $29 on desktop. That same price would probably do well on iOS/AU if they could be convinced to give it a go.

I would use my mac a lot less if there as a good AUv3 pitch correction app. The autotune mobile app is cool but not powerful enough

Auria has elastique Pro v3 built in, with the same feature set available on desktop (e.g. Reaper). Say what you will about MIDI, Auria is king for audio on iOS. Unfortunately, there is nothing on iOS that comes within a hundred miles of Logic Pro's Flex Pitch. These days, that's literally the only thing I use the desktop for.

• I voted Cubasis but also use Auria Pro and Gadget quite a bit, it depends on the project, whether it has vocals, what style I am after etc.

• I voted BM3 but interestingly, this thread got me to look into Auria Pro’s midi Dept. I actually find it quite easy. This morning I said, I’ve never really have given AP’s midi a chance, and while Cubasis is still superbly easy, I’m finding AP’s midi quite easy and cleanly laid out. I don’t know why but it’s just finally clicking for me. :D
    I got GrooveRider playing drums and melodies and Zeeon playing some cool pads in AP and recorded, edited the midi with such ease as never before!

Oh well, I guess having all these amazing options at our disposal is sometimes counter productive but at least one can definitely not say that the options are limited.

• @stormywaterz said:
    If I could marry bm3 sampler to GarageBand I would be in heaven. Only if GarageBand could get their head out of the sand it could dominate the market.

It was nice today to work in GarageBand and not have my iPad Pro drop 30 percent in an hour. Gadget and bm3 could take notes in battery consumption.

As long as they keep updating it every 6 months or so it will eventually hit some of these key power features. Once it went 24 bit I knew there were serious intentions for it...a true AU Sampler though would be fabulous...I bet there’s one being cooked up somewhere.

• I've stopped using Reaper on my DT. Not cuz it's not a good option for me, but mostly because of the convenience of ios/ipad DAW/music stuff.

I do fire up Reaper to use my DT synthmaster player occasionally.

I'm surprised that Cubasis has a higher %% as the DAW of choice, that's all, just a surprise to me.

• Of the available choices, I voted for the Harmonicdog MultiTrack DAW, but I do 90% of my work on the little 8 track recorder in Tonestack. I can just work so quickly and intuitively in it.

• edited March 2018

@High5denied said:
    I've stopped using Reaper on my DT. Not cuz it's not a good option for me, but mostly because of the convenience of ios/ipad DAW/music stuff.

I do fire up Reaper to use my DT synthmaster player occasionally.

I'm surprised that Cubasis has a higher %% as the DAW of choice, that's all, just a surprise to me.

Cubasis hits a sweet spot somehow, for me at least, between features and approachability. And they keep adding features...
    I use at least 3 others but I keep Cubasis on the front page.

• @Cib said:
    Nano Studio.

I thought this was a popular one... I guess everyone has moved on to shiny new options. Until NS2.

• Have only ever used BM3 with my daily AUM experiments so I don’t know what I’m missing. Well... I do, because you all keep telling me... :)

• NanoStudio.
    It doesn’t get much love on this forum, but for me it is easier to complete tracks in NanoStudio than anything else I have tried (Aurio Pro, GB, Music Studio, Beatmaker, etc.). I am a linear sequencer guy, so loopers and audio guys may not like it as much. It is ‘dated’, but I’ll bet that NanoStudio 2 will be well worth the wait.

• Same here. Linear recorder, that’s why Auria Pro is finally clicking with me. I’m very impressed with the super tight clock with GrooveRider and Navichord and all with Ableton Link disabled!
    This thread got me to look into it more on the midi side and I’m so glad I did.

@Slam_Cut said:
    NanoStudio.
    It doesn’t get much love on this forum, but for me it is easier to complete tracks in NanoStudio than anything else I have tried (Aurio Pro, GB, Music Studio, Beatmaker, etc.). I am a linear sequencer guy, so loopers and audio guys may not like it as much. It is ‘dated’, but I’ll bet that NanoStudio 2 will be well worth the wait.

• I do still have a soft spot for BM3 and really enjoyed getting to know it this past while but yesterday while going through old tracks on the mighty PC tower of power, I realized the best tunes I have made seemed to start in Renoise with VSTs, and why haven't I installed Renoise on my little two year old Zenbook yet? If anything, just for making stems for BM3. Works like a charm so now I am in semi-mobile VST preset/automation heaven.

• Definitely BeatMaker 2/3. Cubasis is too basic and Auria is too Pro Toolie.

• Projects started in:

Auria Pro about 20 in past year.
    Cubasis about 10 in past year.
    BM3 over 50 In the last couple of months!

• edited March 2018

CUBASIS with Waves plugins, FX 1, FX 2 packs, Classic Machines, free RoomWorks SE and built-in Internal Effects. Also use Cubasis with Poison-202, Kauldron, SwarPlug and other apps as AU. Time Stretch, Mini Sampler, SpinFX, Channel Strip are satisfactory. Steinberg nailed Automation, AU, Audiobus and IAA with their solid implementations inside Cubasis - its workflow is very simple and highly fun to use. Professionally designed.

At times, GarageBand, Animoog, Sunrizer, etc on some projects with AB into Cubasis. Have FLSM (plan to use this soon but its 2D UI with candy colors are distracting - unlike its cool desktop version), Gadget, Medly, MusicStudio, iSEM, Zeeon, Magellan, BM, iMS-20, etc. but haven't used them on any project, yet. Haven't opened Auria in a long time - maybe after I upgrade my device.

FL Studio with scalable vectorial Interface up to 8K resolution:

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Projects started in:

I’ll be advocating the devil
    But
    How many finished?
    I really thinks it comes up to that.(not in any specific rather personal)

• @mschenkel.it said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Projects started in:

But
    How many finished?

I’ve never finished a track on my own ever, so that’s irrelevant to me lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Projects started in:

But
    How many finished?

Hi five then :D

• @mschenkel.it said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Projects started in:

But
    How many finished?

Hi five then :D

I miss jamming with real people - it’s the only way I seemed to get past certain stages in putting music together

• another DAWless vote here. AUM + xequencer/rozeta/random MIDI generator, Elastic Drums and BM3 where I can. I wish I could tie it all together without clunky workarounds such as rendering stems or trying to time specific apps to start/stop at a specific place. Maybe I need a controller that’ll allow me to start and stop apps. Or maybe just switch to doing everything in SunVox.

• This whole week I’ve been concentrating on only using Auria Pro and it really has paid off. I’m feeling so much more confident with it the more I use it. It feels like I’m using an old Hardware recorder. But I’m trying to keep it simple. So far it’s been really stable, but found a few apps that they themselves might be unstable especially when using in app audio.

• @gleandibson said:
    another DAWless vote here. AUM + xequencer/rozeta/random MIDI generator, Elastic Drums and BM3 where I can. I wish I could tie it all together without clunky workarounds such as rendering stems or trying to time specific apps to start/stop at a specific place. Maybe I need a controller that’ll allow me to start and stop apps. Or maybe just switch to doing everything in SunVox.

:)