Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bram Bos says, “sayonara” to iPhone

Comments

• Rather have a Notch, rather than a Glitch.

• @brambos said:
    Looks like the Ruismakers came through now. Experience on iPhone X may be suboptimal though, because I haven’t made any special provisions for the notch (yet). Let’s see how it pans out.

Two down, still one to go through review.

I’m really sorry that supporting iPhones is becoming such a pain.

I now use my iphone6S Plus almost 100% of the time (and my iPad only comes out for very special occasions). I don’t buy music apps that aren’t universal because of this.

I’d definitely shed a tear if I couldn’t use the next Brambros app on my iPhone.

I hope you reconsider. But I understand the reasoning.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@brambos said:
    Looks like the Ruismakers came through now. Experience on iPhone X may be suboptimal though, because I haven’t made any special provisions for the notch (yet). Let’s see how it pans out.

Two down, still one to go through review.

I’m really sorry that supporting iPhones is becoming such a pain.

I now use my iphone6S Plus almost 100% of the time (and my iPad only comes out for very special occasions). I don’t buy music apps that aren’t universal because of this.

I’d definitely shed a tear if I couldn’t use the next Brambros app on my iPhone.

I hope you reconsider. But I understand the reasoning.

Agreed, iPhone has become so capable and the portability is a big factor. Unfortunately I’m one of those notch owners now as well.

Between iPhone and the Mac, the iPad seldom gets a look in these days.

• @oat_phipps said:
    A: Nacho cheese

Notcho cheese... repeat with me Nooooootchooo cheeeeeeese
    :trollface:

• When I have spare time I'll investigate if I can deal with the X in a simple way (without requiring a dedicated design and lots of ugly exceptions specifically for the X). Right now I don't want to have to do that just to get a minor update of an existing app through review.

• I didn’t upgrade to the X specifically because of the notch. I think it’ll become one of those weird, temporary anomalies like 6-wheeled formula 1 cars and 3D TV. The next “premium” iPhone won’t have it.

• What muppet actually though the X screen was a good idea ?

• Fingers crossed for Kosmonaut...
    I love all your apps on my i6.
    Vanity Slab made me smile!

• I didn’t go for an X, eschewing it and instead electing to get an 8 Plus (256) mainly for the bigness, but also because I suspect there would have been an X plus in the future, and if there is, hopefully one that can use the apple penile.

• Can the bite be catered for purely using graphic design, rather than nudging functionality up there? One thing that occurs to me about designing for a bite mark is that I rotate my phone the correct way for a left-handed person (in other words, rotating it 90° clockwise, as opposed to the funny backwards way that right-handed people manage to do (rotating it 90° widddershins). This implies that for me, the bite will be on my right edge, for those right-handed people out there, it’ll be on their left edge. Therefore any design feature must take both possibilities into account and make sense in both circumstances. That suggests that it would be best if it were not a functional feature that far out, but a visual feature that works both ways.

I’d simply design bite marks on both edges, so that it looks like there’s two, and on a non-X phone it also looks like there’s two bite marks, which is better than just one and saves the money of buying an X but still gives the impression you have one.

• @Samplemunch said:
    What muppet actually though the X screen was a good idea ?

Beats me, maybe someone who thought that 'being different' was a good thing?!

To my degrading eyes the iPhone 8 looks a lot sharper than the iPhone 8 Plus.
    My next phone will most likely be the regular iPhone 8 once the 5 gives up for good...

Even though the iPhone X has more pixels it doesn't actually show that much more content that the regular iPhone 8. The screen is rendered with 3x assets instead of 2x so it's the same mount of stuff horizontally and vertically a few more but the notch and swipe areas eat that up anyways.

Even though I seldom use the 3.5" jack on my iPhone it would be handy to have for hooking up the AUX port and being able to charge at the same time. Apple needs to learn the it's not always good 'to be different'.

If the Samsung S9 ran iOS I would have already placed an order...

• @u0421793 said:
    simply design bite marks on both edges, so that it looks like there’s two, and on a non-X phone it also looks like there’s two bite marks, which is better than just one and saves the money of buying an X but still gives the impression you have one.

:D :p >:)

• So what exactly is happening in these Ruismaker updates?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    So what exactly is happening in these Ruismaker updates?

The pads now send out MIDI, so you can record them into e.g. Garageband.

• edited March 2018

@u0421793 said:
    I didn’t go for an X, eschewing it and instead electing to get an 8 Plus (256) mainly for the bigness, but also because I suspect there would have been an X plus in the future....

I tried to hold out for a potential iPhone X plus, but too many people around campus where getting iPhone X and loving it...even former perennial complainers...so eventually got it. Day one was an awkward adjustment but day two was definitely a wow moment. Absolutely the best iPhone I’ve had to so far. As has been often mentioned the Notch is largely a non-issue in practical use. But the speed and new gestures just feel right.

I also wanted to poke around with the true depth camera API a little. I don’t do music on iPhone..I only fire up GarageBand on there when I want to figure out the tempo and/or key of a song that someone is playing out loud nearby.

• @brambos said:
    When I have spare time I'll investigate if I can deal with the X in a simple way (without requiring a dedicated design and lots of ugly exceptions specifically for the X). Right now I don't want to have to do that just to get a minor update of an existing app through review.

Understand your point, also agree with you and if I were a dev I would probably have the same doubts. But we all know it's Apple way or no way. Besides that rumors have it that next iPad Pro's will also have a notch, so it's really a question of time when you have to ask yourself if you want to keep developing for iOS or not. And probably you you'll decide to do it in the end, just because you're already to deep in the ecosytem.
    An alternative is that you also develop your apps also as AU/ VST/ AAX for Mac and Windows so you are less dependent on one platform, like for example the gs for Klevgrant do.

• edited March 2018

Unfortunate if you do abandon iPhone over this. As someone that uses his iPhone and never an iPad to make music, and as someone that has purchased several of your apps, you'd be losing this paying customer (who knows he's in the minority).

I can only hope you've looked at how much it will "cost" you in time vs. how much (little?) money you'll be giving up from iPhone users in making your decision. If that's how it falls out, so be it.

• I do wonder why Apple is not as 'pushy' with native 10,5" & 12,9" iPad Pro resolution on apps as they are with the 'notch-phone'?!

• @Samu said:
    I do wonder why Apple is not as 'pushy' with native 10,5" & 12,9" iPad Pro resolution on apps as they are with the 'notch-phone'?!

Both iPads are hardly a market compared to iPhone X which is Apple's flagship device. Besides that if the rumors are true all future Apple devices will get a notch.
    But anyway good point you made about the iPads resolutions

• Notchgate anyone? :)

• @brambos Is Kosmonaut the 3rd app you had held up in review that we are waiting for, besides the two Ruismakers?
    Also, any clue on the price for Kosmonaut? I want to make sure I keep enough to get it when it debuts.

• I use my iPhone 8 quite a bit with bram bos apps. I would hate to see that go away. But I do not plan on upgrading to an X. I would just start carrying my iPad everywhere.

• edited March 2018

@Apple said:
    We built this weird ass notch into our most expansive phone ever. In retrospect, it probably wasn't a good idea but a whole lot of people have dropped a thousand clams on it so we can't exactly say that to the public, amirite? You feel me, bro? Anyway, as a consequence, even though the majority of our phone sales still come from our notchless phones we're going to require you, the small independent developer, to do more work so that our foolishness isn't on constant display. Thx.

• I'd be really sad if you stop releasing iPhone versions too. I held off on getting an iPhone until the 8 came out, and at that point the camera was good enough to take the place as my primary portable camera. But now that the camera is with me all of the time, so are all of my music apps and my iPad is gathering dust. From here forward, I can more easily justify upgrading the phone than a tablet because each upgrade brings better camera, more power to process video, drone controller, handy stuff like TV remote control, etc. Never thought I'd prefer to squint at a tiny display but the portability and power gets you hooked.

A while ago, someone made a comment about how much of a hassle it was to "lug around an iPad" and I thought they were nuts. It's strange to be agreeing with them now. It does encourage shifting music making to AUM, AUs and exporting clips for Ableton instead of trying to linearly compose in iOS - and BramBos apps are particularly wonderful on the go, on iPhone. I might not be getting the music hours in that I'd like right now, but I'll still instabuy to keep increasing my iPhone's capabilities in a way that I don't do with iPad only apps. Regardless of how (or if) I use most of my apps - iPad only ones represent being tied to my desk and iPhone apps represent getting outside and playing. There is still a novelty factor to having work, information and recreation in something as small and handy as an iPhone.

An hour of music making for me usually involves one or two (maybe 3) apps in AUM out of an utterly ridiculous collection of iOS music apps. Apps I love from developers that I'd support in a heartbeat might see zero usage in any given month - but I'll instabuy their next app release anyway because you never know which app you'll just need for 5 minutes of dentist waiting room music time.

I don't think that I'd be a phone fan with a 7 or older model. The camera quality of the 8 is so good - and in some weird way that perfect exposure every time has a carry over effect that adds additional value to totally unrelated apps on the phone. I don't see this changing in years to come as Apple continues to try to make a lot of standalone digital cameras obsolete.

• @Samu said:
    Can't help it but the 'notch' on the iPhone X is just awful by design and forcing developers to 'adapt' to it is just a stupid, stupid move.

+1

Instead of "it just works" we now have "it just notches"

(if you ask me, as an ex-for-Apple-working-ex-employee: iPhone X is a bad product with high lifecycle costs for customers and extremely high repair costs - avoid it if you can)

• @brambos said:
    . Not sure if iPhone support is worth the effort anymore: very few users, lots of different screen sizes to deal with, very little real estate to attempt to offer the same user experience as an iPad screen. :/

Hear hear.

• I’ve more or less stopped using my iPad Pro for anything useful other than browsing the interweb, since I got my iPhone 8 Plus. I do a lot of music on my iPhone (which is a new experience, as I’ve always been 100% android for phones up till now) and it is proving far more productive than my iPad is. I never take my iPad Pro out of the house, but with my iPhone 8 Plus I frequently almost miss my stop on the train several times every day because I’m engrossed in doing something in Gadget. When I get home, I’m over to Gadget on the Mac Mini, and the iPad Pro simply never gets a look in now.

• @u0421793 said:
    I’ve more or less stopped using my iPad Pro for anything useful other than browsing the interweb, since I got my iPhone 8 Plus. I do a lot of music on my iPhone (which is a new experience, as I’ve always been 100% android for phones up till now) and it is proving far more productive than my iPad is. I never take my iPad Pro out of the house, but with my iPhone 8 Plus I frequently almost miss my stop on the train several times every day because I’m engrossed in doing something in Gadget. When I get home, I’m over to Gadget on the Mac Mini, and the iPad Pro simply never gets a look in now.

If I PM you my address, will you forward the Pro to me? :D

• edited March 2018

@brambos said:
    When I have spare time I'll investigate if I can deal with the X in a simple way (without requiring a dedicated design and lots of ugly exceptions specifically for the X). Right now I don't want to have to do that just to get a minor update of an existing app through review.

@media only screen
    and (device-width : 375px)
    and (device-height : 812px)
    and (-webkit-device-pixel-ratio : 3) { margin: 2em 0 0 0}

• This thread is strangely making me want an iPhone X now.