Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Praise Audioshare!!!

2»

Comments

• My idea was indeed that AUM in many ways supersedes the recorder in AudioShare, but I might add basic AUv3 support in the future when I rewrite the audio engine in AudioShare. However it's a bit more work than IAA since AU plugins need some UI handling to display their interface, etc. Also many plugins needs a clock from the host, in which case I also need to add a beat-based transport with tempo in AudioShare. And then users will ask why they can't MIDI-control the AU parameters like in AUM. As you see it easily grows beyond the original intentions..

Actually it's not so many more taps for the user to make a recording in AUM: Launch the app, tap the big + to add a channel, select your input source, tap REC. One could consider ways to improve this workflow, some ideas:

• Long-press the REC button on a channel to select another destination (and name?) within the AudioShare file structure.
    • A way to have a quick way to load a user selected default-project. This project could be a simple channel strip with mic-input and a couple of EQ nodes, etc.
  • edited November 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

• A way to have a quick way to load a user selected default-project. This project could be a simple channel strip with mic-input and a couple of EQ nodes, etc.

Project templates ? It would be good when starting AUM to have the current "reload last session" option, as well as a new "new from template" option, templates could be saved from projects within the app.

This would save a lot of time with initial setting up of the same type of projects, examples of templates could be
    The basic recorder mentioned above,
    An 8 track sound module with your regular synths
    MIDI Sequencer with your regular MIDI AU's loaded

I know you can load a project from files, but having 'selected' templates displayed on startup would be cool :)

• edited November 2018

@j_liljedahl said:
    My idea was indeed that AUM in many ways supersedes the recorder in AudioShare, but I might add basic AUv3 support in the future when I rewrite the audio engine in AudioShare. However it's a bit more work than IAA since AU plugins need some UI handling to display their interface, etc. Also many plugins needs a clock from the host, in which case I also need to add a beat-based transport with tempo in AudioShare. And then users will ask why they can't MIDI-control the AU parameters like in AUM. As you see it easily grows beyond the original intentions..

Actually it's not so many more taps for the user to make a recording in AUM: Launch the app, tap the big + to add a channel, select your input source, tap REC. One could consider ways to improve this workflow, some ideas:

• Long-press the REC button on a channel to select another destination (and name?) within the AudioShare file structure.

AUv3 would be one of the few things I really miss in AudioShare, because AUM doesn't fit in my workflow.
    If you don't mind, here's a few more things that made me jump over to TwistedWave at times and I don't think they're hard to implement:

• Vertical zoom (a 4x button would be enough for me) in the expanded waveform view
    • Sample reverse (simple but very useful)
    • Add silence before and after a sample
    • Set a bpm value and show a grid of 16ths and 4ths over the waveform to allow for beat-synced cuts
    • Time stretching and pitch shifting would be great, but at least re-pitching (i.e. fine tuning) a sample would help a lot when sampling live with AudioShare because not every app allows for fine-tuning imported samples. This would be based on the same algorithm as the Convert > Samplerate feature, except that the new sample frequency cannot be fine-adjusted atm.

Thank you!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Project templates ? It would be good when starting AUM to have the current "reload last session" option, as well as a new "new from template" option, templates could be saved from projects within the app.

This would save a lot of time with initial setting up of the same type of projects, examples of templates could be

I know you can load a project from files, but having 'selected' templates displayed on startup would be cool :)

My idea about templates is to use standard project files, but allow importing one or more channels from another project file into the current session. A selected default session would be available in another "load default" button below the "reload last session". Perhaps it would make sense that you could select more than one default session, and tapping this button would then display a menu of them.

• The way I use AudioShare is more like a traditional field-recorder. It's always on my iPhone for grabbing sounds.
    In this case I would just add for example Brusfri, 'sample the enviroment noise', add FAC Maxima and record it.

• My vote would go to improve AUM first (import channel preset and "load default(s) session" button sounds good), instead of spending too much time on Audioshare. But that's just me, I know AS has a high standing in here. I'm thinking of abandoning it and rather use BM3 as the hub for all sample related work. It remains to be seen, but when BM3 lands on iPhone it might also function well as a quick field recorder (the idea has been discussed on the intua forum).

Why leave AS in favor of BM3? In order to skip the step of having to first get the samples into the BM3 "Imported" folder, then move them to sensible locations. Plus, having a nice sample editor with time stretching, slicing, AU effects, ++. I believe samples in BM3 will anyway be available elsewhere through Files.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@j_liljedahl said:

My idea about templates is to use standard project files, but allow importing one or more channels from another project file into the current session. A selected default session would be available in another "load default" button below the "reload last session". Perhaps it would make sense that you could select more than one default session, and tapping this button would then display a menu of them.

Yeah that'd do it :) If you only have one default set it just loads that one, if you have more than one set you get the menu ?

• @j_liljedahl said:
    My idea was indeed that AUM in many ways supersedes the recorder in AudioShare, but I might add basic AUv3 support in the future when I rewrite the audio engine in AudioShare. However it's a bit more work than IAA since AU plugins need some UI handling to display their interface, etc. Also many plugins needs a clock from the host, in which case I also need to add a beat-based transport with tempo in AudioShare. And then users will ask why they can't MIDI-control the AU parameters like in AUM. As you see it easily grows beyond the original intentions..

Actually it's not so many more taps for the user to make a recording in AUM: Launch the app, tap the big + to add a channel, select your input source, tap REC.

Could we users just agree to a stripped-down version of AU support and not ask for Midi control of AUM parameters? 😏 A beat based transport would be amazing, actually.

AudioShare is my go-to for quick recording and editing. Anything to speed those up is great. So I’d love to see:
    -Option to turn off reminder for old files in the trash
    -Ability to make multiple trims from single file without having to reopen each time
    -Named marker support, so I could describe longer recordings as I was going

• @Samu said:
    The way I use AudioShare is more like a traditional field-recorder. It's always on my iPhone for grabbing sounds.
    In this case I would just add for example Brusfri, 'sample the enviroment noise', add FAC Maxima and record it.

That’s also one of my favourite uses (amongst many others, absolutely love it)!
    It seems, though, you can’t make the option to work in measurement mode permanent (unless I’m missing something). That would eliminate a lot of taps in my life! 😊

• @Samu said:
    The way I use AudioShare is more like a traditional field-recorder. It's always on my iPhone for grabbing sounds.

Nice tip. I own 2 of the 3 and covet the 3rd. I just know I needed noise reduction but I can see how it really matters in the field.

I really appreciate the effort you put into sharing your knowledge in this forum. It makes the time spent a form of investment beyond the benefits of community... something more like a visit to a library. You don't intend to research something but you discover a truly useful clues with every visit.

Thanks.

• Audioshare to me is hands down the best iOS music app. Please don’t over complicate it in future updates. Unlike most iOS music apps it’s strength is in its simplicity.

• PRAISES.
    PRAISES TO AUDIOSHARE.

Imagine all those years past, having to use iTunes Filesharing for everything.
    That’s right.
    PRAISES!
    <3

• Love me some AudioShare and its integration with AUM is amazing.
    Main feature Id like is Normalize to a value (not 100%)

As to the original topic Ive found Workflow (rebranded as Siri Shortcuts I think) is great for converting files, especially if you need to do it more than once. Ive been using it to get audio out of videos and send it to AudioShare.

• @1nsomniak said:
    Love me some AudioShare and its integration with AUM is amazing.
    Main feature Id like is Normalize to a value (not 100%)

As to the original topic Ive found Workflow (rebranded as Siri Shortcuts I think) is great for converting files, especially if you need to do it more than once. Ive been using it to get audio out of videos and send it to AudioShare.

B) same.

• This stuff should be built in to iOS, but $6 is a great price to get around Apple being a-holes with file systems. Very well though out and laid out program. Not my favorite app (pretty boring) but my other stuff (BM3, Caustic 3, Gadget, Beathawk) would be very difficult (impossible?) to use (when using samples) without it.

• @CracklePot said:
    Well, I just gotta say I love both AudioShare and Documents. Life would be hell without them. :)

Um

YEAH

• Would be cool to select inputs

• @panthera said:
    Would be cool to select inputs

• @mistercharlie said:

@panthera said:
    Would be cool to select inputs

Now that is cool.

• talking about to numbers of my audio interface , i have 4 channels in , audioshare won't let me choose which one ...
    but yeah , you guys are right its still cool. and i love it

• @panthera said:
    talking about to numbers of my audio interface , i have 4 channels in , audioshare won't let me choose which one ...
    but yeah , you guys are right its still cool. and i love it

If you have Audiobus, try selecting the input you want in there, and send the output to AudioShare.

• Aight, did it that way.

• Another way is to use AUM to do the recording as it records straight into AudioShare.
    (AUM and AudioShare share the same storage area).

Only gotchas I've had with AUM recording was to do instant start & stop of the recording.

When AUM is 'stopped' recording starts immediately, but to stop immediately one has to use 'pause' since stop waits for the 'beat/cycle/quantum whatever' to stop and after it's 'paused' one needs to press STOP in order to directly start recording again, if STOP is not pressed it wants for the next quantum or whatever before starting to do the recording again...

AUM was the suggested solution from the AudioShare developer and from what I've understood there is no intention to add multi-channel device support directly into AudioShare...

Many iOS AudioRecorders and Apps in general suffer from poor support for multi-channel interfaces, TwistedWave, AudioCopy, Hokusai being just a few of them...

• Yeah , thats my gripe too,
    Audiobus input gain is very low with my behringer 404HD , audioshare in standalone , has better Gain options. but i'll find a way to make all work smooth tagether

• I just wanted drag n drop in AudioShare. Must be a pain to implement because it seems so obvious.

• Hi, friends. Even don't know where to ask my question about strange issue with audioshare.
    I'm using it as portable field recorder app on iPhone SE.

There is a problem. I noticed that in recorder hardware settings inside app a column "mic input gain" is absent.

However, on my iPad Pro it is.

This is really strange, because version is the same -- 2.7.8. (131).

I even reinstalled it twice on my iPhone -- but nothing works..

• @frthcomingstorm said:
    Hi, friends. Even don't know where to ask my question about strange issue with audioshare.
    I'm using it as portable field recorder app on iPhone SE.

There is a problem. I noticed that in recorder hardware settings inside app a column "mic input gain" is absent.

However, on my iPad Pro it is.

This is really strange, because version is the same -- 2.7.8. (131).

I even reinstalled it twice on my iPhone -- but nothing works..

Some iOS devices have no analog hardware gain so that might explain why it’s missing.
    I have no ‘gain’ on my iPhone 8 but the iPad Air 2 has one...

On the other hand I record at 24-bit on the iPhone 8 and it’s pretty clean when normalized, no need for analog gain.

Mostly I use TwistedWave for fieldrecording duties.

• Yes, TwistedWave has proven to be the most reliable field recorder and one of the few audio editors supporting AUv3 FX.
    AudioShare will have to add AUv3 support sooner or later because many apps rely on it and there's no direct alternative.

• @Samu Thank you a lot for explanation! I didn't know about that.

And also thank you for pointing TwistedWave app. Should check it!

I'm thinking to start a tread about turning iPhone into digital lo-fi fieldrecorder (without external mics) etc.

• @frthcomingstorm said:

I'm thinking to start a tread about turning iPhone into digital lo-fi fieldrecorder (without external mics) etc.

That's the way I've been using my iPhone 8 for quite a while now and the mic's (Back, Front, Bottom which are selectable in TwistedWave) on that one are pretty decent and the unit can record in 24-bit at 48K.

So my 'procedure' when doing field-recording is to create a document in TwistedWave, select Mono 48K (No stereo recording on iPhone 8). Long-Tap on the REC button and select which Mic to use. I've also disabled iOS Processing (ie. no 'auto gain' etc) and to use 32-bit files.

The recordings are surprisingly clean (way cleaner than when using the Mics on my iPad Air 2).

One of the reasons that mic-selection is super handy is that one can avoid 'breathing'(you know when looking at the screen and the front mic pics it up) and the bottom mic is handy when looking at the screen and pointing it at the source to be recorded while still being able to see the screen and well 'front mic' when recording voice in windy conditions.

Here's the Apple Documentation
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1799/_index.html
    (AVAudioSession - Microphone Selection)

So what about adding support for a super handy iOS feature @Michael & @j_liljedahl ?

Over All, TwistedWave remains one of the most used apps on my iPhone 8 :)