Praise Audioshare!!!

Long text warning!

Today, I needed to upload a photo to a site that required a jpg file extension. As most of us know, Apple wants us to save everything image-related as png on our mobile devices, so this is the unchangeable default for most photo apps - at least the free ones, and that includes the likes of photoshop express. To add insult to injury, since Photos.app doesn’t show image EXIFs (metadata), it took me a while to figure out why my pic was being rejected.

Well, I downloaded a free (and ugly, locked in portrait, obviously directly ported from the iPhone) app called EXIF doctor and found out the issue, that is, all my photo editors were rendering a png file, not the required jpg. I downloaded another free (and equality ugly, locked in portrait, ported from iPhone) app called JPEG<->PNG and converted my file. Do you thing my problems ended at that point? Nooooo... the site I needed to upload my pic too was really picky, the pic had to be a jpg file, not a jpeg file (which I found out was the file extension using the ugly EXIF doctor again). Despite, as many of you know, jpg and jpeg being the very same thing.

So I thought, now iOS has a file manager! It’s just a matter of opening the said pic in Files.app and deleting the offending letter, since as I said, jpg and jpeg are the same file and it shouldn’t matter. Right? Wrong! The useless Files.app irrevocably hides all file extensions. I’m sorry for everyone that drank Apple’s Koolaid and bought an iPad as a MacBook Pro replacement. So, again after more moments of tedious research, I bumped into an app called Documents.app. It should be able to change file extensions and was free! So I download my third app for something that has been pretty straighforward on any other OS since, say, Windows3.11. Opened my pic there and voilà, it did have the option of changing the extension. So I did it and hapilly followed to upload my pic.

It was a trap! Documents.app just pretended to change the file extension, but saved my pic as picture.jpg.jpeg.

At this point, I remembered good old AudioShare. The app that since ages has the option to select or not to keep a file extension. Okay, so I browsed the pic, imported it to AudioShare and it reported the tricky hidden jpeg extension that eluded Documents.app. I simply deleted the .jpeg part.

IT WORKED! Problem solved. From now on, every time I need to change (or find out, btw) the extension of a file on iOS, I know where to do it.

Shame on you, Apple with the half-baked Files.app. Shame on you, developers of the ugly Documents.app that promise a feature that simply doesn’t work. Praise AudioShare and its developers!

Comments

  • edited March 1

    Documents works for this (jpeg to jpg). Just delete the file extension and add .jpg and save. It will ask you if you know what you’re doing just like OSX does, save and you’re good. I use Documents for a lot of other things including accessing all of Caustic’s folders via FTP and it works great.

  • Well, I just gotta say I love both AudioShare and Documents. Life would be hell without them. :)

  • Audioshare and Documents are the apps that made me ditch Windows entirely. Life savers!

  • If I look up documents.app on the App Store plenty of apps come up but not that one seemingly. Who is the developer?

  • edited March 2

    Readdle is the dev.

    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-by-readdle/id364901807?mt=8

    @Telstar5 said:
    If I look up documents.app on the App Store plenty of apps come up but not that one seemingly. Who is the developer?

  • Will I be able to load and transfer wav files similar to the way it’s done in iTunes?

  • @Telstar5 said:
    Will I be able to load and transfer wav files similar to the way it’s done in iTunes?

    Not sure what you mean, but I use the WiFi drive in Documents to transfer stuff between my phone, iPad, and computer. It does audio files and many others.
    It doesn’t replace iTunes for the apps that still rely on that method of file access. You will still need iTunes for those apps, as well as a computer and lighting USB cable.

  • Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

  • Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

  • @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

  • We better accept that iOS is not designed like a regular workstation. The fact that each app has its own sandbox with only limited interfaces to other apps' data is one of the key iOS features and IMHO won't change in the foreseeable future.
    In consequence, there are workarounds like AudioCopy, "Open in..." and AudioShare, but all are highly inefficient because you're duplicating data all the time.
    If you work with a large amount of loops, samples, and other files and want to access these from multiple apps, an OS like MacOS or Windows is a better idea for sure.

  • @CracklePot said:

    @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

    AudioShare is due for an update. Don’t forget, it’s been around a long time and iOS has changed a lot since then. Still one of my core apps though.

  • edited March 2

    As shown recently by Serif, there is no need at all for any file duplication on IOS using files app, all developers need to do this, its that simple, its 2018 and my name is neither Fred or Barney.

  • @Samplemunch said:
    As shown recently by Serif, there is no need at all for any file duplication on IOS using files app, all developers need to do this, its that simple, its 2018 and my name is neither Fred or Barney.

    My name is Fred Barney, and I approve your message

  • @CracklePot said:

    @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

    Yes, this is correct.

    However I'm not sure why moving something into or out of AudioShare in Files app makes a duplicate. While implementing Files app support in AudioShare, my feeling was that this whole Files thing (as part of iOS) was not really ready for release unfortunately.. I've implemented the methods for "move" as well as "copy", so why does it then actually copy instead of move?

  • @anickt said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

    AudioShare is due for an update. Don’t forget, it’s been around a long time and iOS has changed a lot since then. Still one of my core apps though.

    It was not that long ago I updated it (iOS 11 Files support, etc..). If you think there's anything specific that needs fixing/updating, please send me an email or post on my forum: http://forum.kymatica.com/

  • @j_liljedahl said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

    Yes, this is correct.

    However I'm not sure why moving something into or out of AudioShare in Files app makes a duplicate. While implementing Files app support in AudioShare, my feeling was that this whole Files thing (as part of iOS) was not really ready for release unfortunately.. I've implemented the methods for "move" as well as "copy", so why does it then actually copy instead of move?

    No idea, but it does.

  • @j_liljedahl Have you thought about adding 'input selection' to AudioShare?(Ie. being able to select and input when using an interface with multiple inputs). It works perfectly in AUM so it should be a pretty easy addition to AudioShare as well?

    Also hoping for the web-browser to make a 'comeback' into AudioShare.

    There are so many other apps that offer web-downloads and it would be right at home in AudioShare...
    Maybe it will pass the review if it's moved from 'Music' category to 'Productivity' like Documents by Readle :)

  • edited March 2

    @rs2000 : On point definitely!

  • edited March 3

    @rs2000 said:
    We better accept that iOS is not designed like a regular workstation. The fact that each app has its own sandbox with only limited interfaces to other apps' data is one of the key iOS features and IMHO won't change in the foreseeable future.
    In consequence, there are workarounds like AudioCopy, "Open in..." and AudioShare, but all are highly inefficient because you're duplicating data all the time.
    If you work with a large amount of loops, samples, and other files and want to access these from multiple apps, an OS like MacOS or Windows is a better idea for sure.

    Nonsense, with apps that support IOS 11, it is just a different way of working not to get duplicates, you have to move the files you want to the folder structure of the app you want to use, no duplicates created.
    Just because a ton of apps dont really support IOS 11 properly, doesnt mean it wasnt a huge step forward, its not quite Android for file storage, but its getting better.

    If moving files an accessing them can be done manually using the move command, its not that much of a stretch to see universal file access across apps supporting "On my iPad" at some point.

    Comparing to a desktop OS is silly, Android shows a mobile OS can have shared files.

  • @j_liljedahl said:

    @anickt said:

    @CracklePot said:

    @Telstar5 said:
    Ok, thanks again, Cracklepot .. I was thinking more specifically of a site like sounds.com which exports their sounds in wav files among other via zip file to email. Seems like file.app could do it but that’s probably just wishful thinking. You seem to know more about tot than I. I only have an iPad Pro but I may have to just get a Mac book, finally.. Sigh

    Yeah Documents has .zip support. It can open them or create them.> @Samplemunch said:

    Audioshare is poor in the files app, instead of being in "On my iPad" like well thought out implementations, it is in locations, while this may seem smart or clever, it is in fact not, you can move files around in "On my iPad" move a file in or out of Audioshares folder and it always creates a copy, duplicates duplicates duplicates, no thanks.

    I think it may have to do with the fact that AudioShare has its own file management thing and it can’t exist in the “on my iPad” area. The Documents app and Google Drive app also have their stuff in locations, but only apps that just need to save/open their own files are in the “on my iPad” area. Just surmising, though.

    AudioShare is due for an update. Don’t forget, it’s been around a long time and iOS has changed a lot since then. Still one of my core apps though.

    It was not that long ago I updated it (iOS 11 Files support, etc..). If you think there's anything specific that needs fixing/updating, please send me an email or post on my forum: http://forum.kymatica.com/

    @j_liljedahl To clarify my statement (which sounds like more than I intended), I was referring in general terms to things that have been brought up in the past that would be nice additions like more advanced waveform editing. I do have a couple of things I will contact you about.

  • @Samu said:
    @j_liljedahl Have you thought about adding 'input selection' to AudioShare?(Ie. being able to select and input when using an interface with multiple inputs). It works perfectly in AUM so it should be a pretty easy addition to AudioShare as well?

    The apps don't share the same audio engine code, so unfortunately it's not an easy addition. I'd need to do some major rewrites of the audio engine in AudioShare, which I might very well do in the future.

    Also hoping for the web-browser to make a 'comeback' into AudioShare.

    There are so many other apps that offer web-downloads and it would be right at home in AudioShare...
    Maybe it will pass the review if it's moved from 'Music' category to 'Productivity' like Documents by Readle :)

    I wouldn't take the risk to have the app removed from the store, sorry. Note that ZIP files should still download just fine via the normal web browser (and opens in AudioShare).

Sign In or Register to comment.