NEW VIDEO: Interview with Alex Buga on why/how he created SAMPLIST. Shoutouts to the Audiobus Forum!

Developer Alex Buga built his first music app in just 3 weeks with Swift & AudioKit. It shot to the Top 5 paid music apps in the USA.

In this interview, he talks about his motivation, design, and development tools. And, the straight dish.

Also, he gives props to the Audiobus forum for encouraging him!


Word up, everyone. This is a new series. I'm going to try interview at least one iOS Audio related person a month. Meaning, if you make an app with AudioKit, I'm going to track you down and interview you. :D

Plus, I'm using Doug's links for the app links. So, if anyone comes across my Youtube videos, he'll get a cut of any sale.

Comments

  • Plus, I'm using Doug's links for the app links. So, if anyone comes across my Youtube videos, he'll get a cut of any sale.

    a very classy decision.

  • That's the only thing classy about this video series. o:)

  • Cool interview.

  • Thanks!
    Wow I was really nervous and excited at the same time. If I had a penny for every time I moved my hands... I'd be rich :))

  • Interesting to hear the man behind the app :)

    btw annybody know where I can find the app charts where they talked about in the interview

  • @greengrocer said:
    Interesting to hear the man behind the app :)

    btw annybody know where I can find the app charts where they talked about in the interview

    It may be the one on the apps tab of the AppStore. Samplist is #44 on Top Paid currently.

  • Great idea @analog_matt.

    Watched this the other day, it’s a bit old now but still relevant sort of gives a history of early indie app developers and design and coding.

  • @Jumpercollins - indeed, great reference! Greg is a member of the AudioKit Slack group.

  • edited February 28

    Begining about 2:20 in the video Alex talks about the Audiobus forum:

  • This is such an inspiring video. I am going to look at some of the Playgrounds stuff. One question I have though is, can I build an app in AudioKit with just an iPad? Or do I need a Mac, or can you even use a PC?

  • You need a Mac definitely audio kit is just for the audio side. You need X Code, sketchapp, scopeapp, plus other code building blocks probably to get there. Matt will know.

  • edited February 28

    @CracklePot - One does need a mac. I released my first app to the app store on a $400 mac mini. So, it is possible to get started without breaking the bank on a new MacBook. Xcode & AudioKit are free. And, there are lots of free learning resources on RayWenderlich.com

    Apple does charge $100/year for a developer's license. However, you don't need to pay that until you actually want to publish your app.

    There are graphic design tools that cost money. @alecsbuga uses an app called "Sketch". I use Adobe cloud and PaintCode. Though, there are probably free design tools that you can use to get started. (I would encourage everyone to chime in with your favorites?)

    Kevin Loustau, who made the 3D graphics in FM Player, uses a free 3D rendering tool called Blender. He is also doing the UI in the upcoming AudioKit Bass Synth with it. And, he made these cool app knobs using free software:

    He does UI design work for Roli Blocks software for his day job and contributes designs to AudioKit in the evening.

    TLDR; It is possible to create apps with free tools, if you're willing to buy some sort of mac.

  • I talked to Kevin a lot. Didn't knew he works for Roli. I'm a fan of their stuff!

  • Excellent and informative interview guys. The video gave me a sense of how difficult development can be on iOS, yet at the same time how easy it could be to get started, especially with cool tools like Audiokit.

    Matt, you are just kicking it on all cylinders...look forward to more!

  • @analog_matt said:
    Kevin Loustau, who made the 3D graphics in FM Player, uses a free 3D rendering tool called Blender. He is also doing the UI in the upcoming AudioKit Bass Synth with it. And, he made these cool app knobs using free software:

    Blender is a beast. Is not just 3D graphics. I worked with a guy who used it for everything. From obvious 3D stuff to chroma key, video editing, composing, anything. In other words he replaced the whole adobe suite with one free piece of software.

  • @Jumpercollins said:
    You need a Mac definitely audio kit is just for the audio side. You need X Code, sketchapp, scopeapp, plus other code building blocks probably to get there. Matt will know.

    @analog_matt said:
    @CracklePot - One does need a mac. I released my first app to the app store on a $400 mac mini. So, it is possible to get started without breaking the bank on a new MacBook. Xcode & AudioKit are free. And, there are lots of free learning resources on RayWenderlich.com

    Apple does charge $100/year for a developer's license. However, you don't need to pay that until you actually want to publish your app.

    There are graphic design tools that cost money. @alecsbuga uses an app called "Sketch". I use Adobe cloud and PaintCode. Though, there are probably free design tools that you can use to get started. (I would encourage everyone to chime in with your favorites?)

    Kevin Loustau, who made the 3D graphics in FM Player, uses a free 3D rendering tool called Blender. He is also doing the UI in the upcoming AudioKit Bass Synth with it. And, he made these cool app knobs using free software:

    He does UI design work for Roli Blocks software for his day job and contributes designs to AudioKit in the evening.

    TLDR; It is possible to create apps with free tools, if you're willing to buy some sort of mac.

    Thank you for the information. :) I guess I will start looking into getting a used Mac. I am going to try to start learning stuff now anyway since I have a long way to go before I can even consider publishing anything worthy.
    One other question, and I hope it doesn’t require too long an answer, but what sort of minimum specs should I aim for when shopping for a used Mac? I am only interested in using it to eventually publish something. I can do graphics on my PC, I would assume.

  • @CracklePot - Yes, that is right. You can absolutely design graphics on your pc. Though, you'll want to do the programming on the mac. As far as minimum specs, 8+ gb of ram, an SSD drive, and large monitor will make your life easier.

    If for some reason you really want to make iOS music software completely on the PC and only publish with a mac, Juce might be the best choice for you: https://juce.com/

  • @analog_matt said:
    @CracklePot - Yes, that is right. You can absolutely design graphics on your pc. Though, you'll want to do the programming on the mac. As far as minimum specs, 8+ gb of ram, an SSD drive, and large monitor will make your life easier.

    If for some reason you really want to make iOS music software completely on the PC and only publish with a mac, Juce might be the best choice for you: https://juce.com/

    That sounds great. Thank you again. B)
    I will look at Juce as well, but really I am interested in supporting you guys by going the AudioKit route. You guys are awesome, and I appreciate what you are doing for the iOS music community.

  • Great interview. Both of you guys came across really well!

    Will be taking a look at both Audiokit and Samplist.

  • Yeah this was tops!

  • edited March 2

    @CracklePot said:
    Thank you for the information. :) I guess I will start looking into getting a used Mac.

    >

    Not sure where you are in the world, Mr Pot. If UK, then a company called Hoxton Macs are excellent for refurbed Macs. I got my Mac Mini from them.

    As for design, one of the best programs I’ve ever had is Xara Designer Pro X. With that you can do stuff that nothing else can manage. But you’ll still need other programs. :)

    xara.com/uk/

Sign In or Register to comment.