Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain Auv3 granular Synth

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:
    The big issue for me is not being able to load a sample into the AU, without faffing about with the IAA version. Means I tend not to use it.

The biggest issue with au's in general is the limited file/preset sharing capabilities and maybe the reason why we don't see much sample-based au's released. I'm also wondering why cubasis suggest to save presets in the host app and not in the au's provided manager. Something definitely stinks with AU's in general and the file sharing capabilities at this stage. AU in general still needs lots of work before it can replace IAA completely.

I read somewhere on here today that the new Moog IAA/AU preset sharing works, so it sounds like it’s possible.

It should be pretty straightforward to load samples in though - most sample based AU’s can do this. It’s almost a bit weird that it doesn’t allow it.

The only one I know is Beathawk. Mood, Idensity and Reslice all need the stand-alone app to import samples. Synth presets are a different story.

You can paste in audio in ReSlice.

Your right, It does paste without the stand-alone, but you still have to paste one by one which makes it frustrating. Beathawk is the first au I know of that use the same library for stand-alone and au so you can use iTunes and copy all your soundbanks which are also recognized by the au version. I hope this will be the new method for more au’s in the future.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:
    The big issue for me is not being able to load a sample into the AU, without faffing about with the IAA version. Means I tend not to use it.

The biggest issue with au's in general is the limited file/preset sharing capabilities and maybe the reason why we don't see much sample-based au's released. I'm also wondering why cubasis suggest to save presets in the host app and not in the au's provided manager. Something definitely stinks with AU's in general and the file sharing capabilities at this stage. AU in general still needs lots of work before it can replace IAA completely.

I read somewhere on here today that the new Moog IAA/AU preset sharing works, so it sounds like it’s possible.

It should be pretty straightforward to load samples in though - most sample based AU’s can do this. It’s almost a bit weird that it doesn’t allow it.

The only one I know is Beathawk. Mood, Idensity and Reslice all need the stand-alone app to import samples. Synth presets are a different story.

You can paste in audio in ReSlice.

Your right, It does paste without the stand-alone, but you still have to paste one by one which makes it frustrating. Beathawk is the first au I know of that use the same library for stand-alone and au so you can use iTunes and copy all your soundbanks which are also recognized by the au version. I hope this will be the new method for more au’s in the future.

Just being able to load up my own samples is good enough for me, I don’t care if it’s paste/open in, or internal filing. Having to jump between the IAA and AU is just silly.

• @MonzoPro
    I’m already used to the silliness of how au’s work compared to their iaa version and just accepted how it is. Most important for me is that it WORKS and it can produce some very original refreshing sounds. It’s totally worth the money considering it’s only 5 euro and made by one person.

• @Dawdles said:

Makes you wonder whether the dev is intentionally crippling it in this area so he can sell soundpacks in future without any competition. Which would be a shame and pretty shady to say the least...

That’s a very silly idea, especially if you are familiar with the developer’s history. I wouldn’t put it past some companies and developers so I can understand where you’re coming from, but not this guy.

• A fairly common and frustrating problem these days; the inconsistencies when trying to save, load and access user presets between the IAA and AU app versions. Tardigrain doesn't even allow you to manage your user presets/sessions in the standalone version though, which does seem a little strange...

Btw. I can see my Tardigrain user samples, both imported and in-app recorded, in my iTunes file sharing folder. So I can back them up, but not the samples associated preset/session data.

• edited March 2018

@Proto said:
    @MonzoPro
    I’m already used to the silliness of how au’s work compared to their iaa version and just accepted how it is. Most important for me is that it WORKS and it can produce some very original refreshing sounds. It’s totally worth the money considering it’s only 5 euro and made by one person.

It’s a great app, but the lack of straightforward sample import in AU mode sucks, and since ReSlice can do it, as a dedicated sample based app (as opposed to a synth that might use samples for modulation, for example), it’s missing essential functionality.

In that respect, it doesn’t work for me, and the convoluted workflow puts me off using it as much as I would otherwise.

So at the moment, regardless of how much I paid for it, I’m filling it under ‘has potential’.

• The dev has a history of making clever, fun little apps that tend to do one thing and do it well. Now that he’s finally made something deeper and more complex, let’s not start dumping on him for not having everything just so. It’s obviously something that Apple doesn’t make very easy with their sparse documentation, so maybe it will take a little longer for him to get it working than the teams at UVI and Virsyn.

• @CracklePot said:

@kobamoto said:
    what are the current import options?

Same as always. Use the standalone or IAA version to load in a file through AudioCopy or general pasteboard. Once it is in the standalone/IAA version, you can use Tardigrain internal clipboard to copy the audio file and then paste it into an AU instance of Tardigrain.

You can do the AudioCopy part in AudioShare. Just be sure to use the Copy function and not Open In.

I think this is the reason I have not got into using it. It would be so nice if I could just load it up with a big library of samples and lose myself in it. knowing i have to hop back and forth puts it too low on my list.

• @aaronpc said:
    The dev has a history of making clever, fun little apps that tend to do one thing and do it well. Now that he’s finally made something deeper and more complex, let’s not start dumping on him for not having everything just so. It’s obviously something that Apple doesn’t make very easy with their sparse documentation, so maybe it will take a little longer for him to get it working than the teams at UVI and Virsyn.

+1

• edited March 2018

@Proto said:

@aaronpc said:
    The dev has a history of making clever, fun little apps that tend to do one thing and do it well. Now that he’s finally made something deeper and more complex, let’s not start dumping on him for not having everything just so. It’s obviously something that Apple doesn’t make very easy with their sparse documentation, so maybe it will take a little longer for him to get it working than the teams at UVI and Virsyn.

+1

No-ones ‘dumping’. Let’s not have another little campaign, where anyone voicing a bit of constructive criticism gets their head kicked in by the mob.

It’s important feedback for the dev to turn a good app into a great one.

• Nice update midi MPE support.

• edited June 2018

dupicated question.

• edited June 2018

Cool with MPE, but how do I get it to work? It says:
    "Notes on connecting a mpe midi device like Roli Seaboard Block: Make sure to set MIDI channel to omni, mpe work by assigning each note a separate midi channel. The seaboard maps horizontal movements to pitchbend, vertical movements to brightness and touch force to pressure.".
    Anything else I need to do beside switching to OMNI?

• edited June 2018

@Filter said:
    Cool with MPE, but how do I get it to work? It says:
    "Notes on connecting a mpe midi device like Roli Seaboard Block: Make sure to set MIDI channel to omni, mpe work by assigning each note a separate midi channel. The seaboard maps horizontal movements to pitchbend, vertical movements to brightness and touch force to pressure.".
    Anything else I need to do beside switching to OMNI?

Yep. I had the issue. But got it working by assigning the ‘brightness’ and ‘pressure’ icons to different parameters in the second panel where you assign things to filter, sample start/stop etc etc.

It now seems to respond quite nicely to per note pressure and y-axis on my Roli block and also from the fantastic ‘aftertouch’ app.

You have to set up each patch to respond to them though.

• I don't generally say things like this, but I'm doing so now...

• Thank you for the kickass update @humbletune

Keeps gettin mo betta. Love it!!! :)

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @humbletune, please can the attack/release Env time be increased, currently it is a fair bit restricted for certain types of playing.

• @skiphunt said:
    Thank you for the kickass update @humbletune

Are you using MPE yet? I still don't have a HW controller with MPE, but I was wondering if you have tried using MPE in any apps, and how you like it, or if you are even interested at this early phase of the roll-out.

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:
    Thank you for the kickass update @humbletune

Are you using MPE yet? I still don't have a HW controller with MPE, but I was wondering if you have tried using MPE in any apps, and how you like it, or if you are even interested at this early phase of the roll-out.

I’m not really that interested honestly. I’ve played with it a little & watched videos with it in action. It’s cool, but it doesn’t really excite me personally that much.

I did notice that the bottom part of the Tardigrain keyboard interface is cut off when using as an AU on an iPhone SE. Should be fixed, but it’s not a big deal to me since I don’t really use Tardigrain much in the iPhone anyway.

• edited June 2018

Try this:

Aftertouch • 3D MIDI Controller by Kevin Nelson

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aftertouch-3d-midi-controller/id1133701231?mt=8

• I find AC Sabre and GeoShred very useful sources for MPE MIDI.

• Thanks. I must look into AC Sabre. Didn’t realise it was MPE enabled.

• @InfoCheck @Matt_Fletcher_2000
    Thank you both. I need to check out all 3 of those. :D
    GeoShred has been on my wish list for a while. But the others are way more affordable.
    Good options, thanks again. B)

• I personally find geo shred a bit over complicated - especially if you’re just using it for midi out.

Aftertouch allows you to set it up like a simple scale restricted keyboard. Which I like. But it seems to be way too sensitive on per note pitch bend (with no controls to tame it) so I turn that off.