Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain Auv3 granular Synth

Comments

• edited March 2018

@aaronpc said:

Could anybody please tell me what grain parameters you can adjust, like grain envelope for each grain, position randomization, number of grains etc, and how well can transient and percussive material be "smoothened out" with tardigrain?
    Just asking because I love Robert Henke's "Granulator" and I'm currious to know how close thiis one is...
    Thanks!

There is an on screen manual, but that's not much help if you don't already own the app. Your best bet is Jacob's video walkthrough:

https://youtu.be/2BLg9ZUJQqE

Thank you, that sounds promising, including the answer I was hoping for :)

What about these chord pads? Can you freely assign notes on them? How many per pad?

• @rs2000 said:

@aaronpc said:

Could anybody please tell me what grain parameters you can adjust, like grain envelope for each grain, position randomization, number of grains etc, and how well can transient and percussive material be "smoothened out" with tardigrain?
    Just asking because I love Robert Henke's "Granulator" and I'm currious to know how close thiis one is...
    Thanks!

There is an on screen manual, but that's not much help if you don't already own the app. Your best bet is Jacob's video walkthrough:

What about these chord pads? Can you freely assign notes on them? How many per pad?

You can assign any note to the pads. You can also select major or minor, as well as triad, seventh, or scale mode. The modes change the KB on the right. Access pad edit mode by hitting then pencil icon on the lower right area of the app.

• @CracklePot said:

@rs2000 said:

@aaronpc said:

Thanks!

You can assign any note to the pads. You can also select major or minor, as well as triad, seventh, or scale mode. The modes change the KB on the right. Access pad edit mode by hitting then pencil icon on the lower right area of the app.

Many thanks! This and the fact that iOS 8 is still supported made me tap "Buy" ;)

• Great sounding app but having a couple of consistent issues, using an ipad pro 12.9. The slide out on the right for the keyboard controls is very fiddly, takes several taps to engage. Tried holding and sliding but its not responsive. Also the popup indicators for the slider functions are always getting stuck there on the display obscuring the view until app is relaunched. Early bugs aside this is an excellent app!

• @CracklePot

Thanks for explaining. I also > @CracklePot said:

@Proto said:

@richardyot said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:
    Lovely sounding little app with some nice & fine options for mangling, usual quality from Erik S.

Alas, am having ongoing issues trying to import samples, seems a bit of an oddly unecesarry PITA.

Whenever I hit the audiopaste button I am mysteriously transported to an opening CS Grain ?!!?!?!!!?!? Anyone else getting this ? Air2 iOS 11.2.5

Haha yes, this is a problem I’ve had with other apps as well. No clue what makes it open CSGrain.

I just have all my samples in Audioshare, so it’s no big deal to select one and open in Tardigrain. Simple enough for me.

I can’t get the AudioShare method to work. The app says the clipboard is empty. Is there a trick to get it to work?
    I have been using “copy to general pasteboard” in AudioShare, then the AudioPaste button in Tardigrain. This is working, but the usual “copy to app” method is not working.

You can't audiopaste into an AU, only into the standalone. The workaround is to audiopaste into the standalone and then use the special copy/paste function to paste into the AU. See the link below for details:

http://www.humbletune.com/tardigrain/

Thanks a lot.

The workflow for me has been use the standalone or an IAA of any type. This will give you access to the full copy/paste functionality. In AudioShare, you use the copy button, not the open in option. I use copy to general pasteboard and have recently deleted AudioCopy from my device. In Tardigrain, I use the AudioCopy button and select paste from general pastebboard.
    Now that I have my wavefile in the stand alone Tardigrain app or IAA version, I want to get it in an AU instance. In Tardigrain, with the wave you want loaded, hit copy wave. Now in the AU instance, delete the wave if there is one already, then paste the copied wave with the one button that shows in the AU version.
    The reason I suggest deleting/clearing the existing wave before you paste is because I had some weirdness happen when I didn’t do that. I think it was when I tried to record into Tardigrain efffect mode, but didn’t clear the app before recording and got some horrible garbage results. It may not be necessary for the paste function to work, but I do it just to be sure and get in the habit of clearing the old wave before I put in the new one.

Thanks again and lovely sounding tardigrain produce with the samples I imported. This app stays on my ipad for a long time.

• @jenkweb said:
    Great sounding app but having a couple of consistent issues, using an ipad pro 12.9. The slide out on the right for the keyboard controls is very fiddly, takes several taps to engage. Tried holding and sliding but its not responsive. Also the popup indicators for the slider functions are always getting stuck there on the display obscuring the view until app is relaunched. Early bugs aside this is an excellent app!

It was finicky for me, too. I have an Air2. What is working consistently for me now is tap and hold for a two-count. Also if I tap a little toward the right edge of the pop-out bar it seems to respond a little better. I hope this works for you and you are not dealing with a big-screen compatibility issue. B)

• @CracklePot said:

@jenkweb said:
    Great sounding app but having a couple of consistent issues, using an ipad pro 12.9. The slide out on the right for the keyboard controls is very fiddly, takes several taps to engage. Tried holding and sliding but its not responsive. Also the popup indicators for the slider functions are always getting stuck there on the display obscuring the view until app is relaunched. Early bugs aside this is an excellent app!

It was finicky for me, too. I have an Air2. What is working consistently for me now is tap and hold for a two-count. Also if I tap a little toward the right edge of the pop-out bar it seems to respond a little better. I hope this works for you and you are not dealing with a big-screen compatibility issue. B)

Discovered the same. It appears the dev have that a long-press action, and many of us are intuitively trying to click, or click-drag to open it. It's still tricky on a small iphone screen, but on the iPad... now that I know it's a long-press, it opens pretty easily and consistently.

• I'm find a quick double tap on the right side brings out the slide out menu no problem on iPhone 6s. Also works to send it away.

• The more I use this the more I’m getting into it. The keyboard control is excellent for expressive playing, and the CPU hit is tiny as an AU.

This and Discord4 work really nicely together, chuffed with both of these.

• @humbletune superb, congratulations & thanks :)

• Hope they update this so we can load audio files in the AU, without having to launch the standalone and bounce it in from that.

Great app, but the above is making it less fun to use as it could be.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MonzoPro said:
    Hope they update this so we can load audio files in the AU, without having to launch the standalone and bounce it in from that.

Great app, but the above is making it less fun to use as it could be.

That would be great. Im wondering if this is an AU limitation or not. Reslice, Idensity, Mood al have to use the standalone app for importing, but beathawk doesnt.

• what are the current import options?

• @kobamoto said:
    what are the current import options?

Same as always. Use the standalone or IAA version to load in a file through AudioCopy or general pasteboard. Once it is in the standalone/IAA version, you can use Tardigrain internal clipboard to copy the audio file and then paste it into an AU instance of Tardigrain.

You can do the AudioCopy part in AudioShare. Just be sure to use the Copy function and not Open In.

• thanks CP

• I have user presets or sessions, made on my iPad, which I'd love to share with my iPod Touch 6. There is no way to back up user patches for safekeeping either; only the user samples. I messaged the developer and he hinted that it was something he might consider for the future.

• I messaged the developer and he hinted that it was something he might consider for the future.

That doesn't sound so hopeful. I love the sounds I'm getting from this app, but not being able to save imported soundfiles with user presets / states is a real shortcoming.

• It was suggested that I could manually copy my user preset parameters from one device to another. Though there are not too many user parameters, in practice it's almost impossible to accurately recreate patches in Tardgrain using this method. There are no 'pop-up' parameter values visible, which might make this accurately doable... and my Touch 6 screen is too small for precise parameter setting anyway. Love the user bank/patch management in iPulsaret and iDensity; love Tardigrain too, but it could do with a little improvement in the aforementioned area.

• Has anyone tried copying using the awful iTunes method that works for some apps, like Animoog? If you could use iTunes to copy the presets from device to device, or even better from IAA to AU and back, that would be very helpful. But still a PITA.

• Yes, I tried locating the user presets in iTunes and iFunbox file sharing; couldn't find any sign of them anywhere. The developer seemed to suggest that user preset data should exist as a plist somewhere in the app, but he didn't indicate where to find it, or if it could be backed up/shared without a jailbroken device.

• @rcf said:
    Yes, I tried locating the user presets in iTunes and iFunbox file sharing; couldn't find any sign of them anywhere. The developer seemed to suggest that user preset data should exist as a plist somewhere in the app, but he didn't indicate where to find it, or if it could be backed up/shared without a jailbroken device.

Eh, sucky. Thanks for responding and relaying that iTunes info, as well as that tidbit from the dev. B)

• The big issue for me is not being able to load a sample into the AU, without faffing about with the IAA version. Means I tend not to use it.

• @MonzoPro said:
    The big issue for me is not being able to load a sample into the AU, without faffing about with the IAA version. Means I tend not to use it.

The biggest issue with au's in general is the limited file/preset sharing capabilities and maybe the reason why we don't see much sample-based au's released. I'm also wondering why cubasis suggest to save presets in the host app and not in the au's provided manager. Something definitely stinks with AU's in general and the file sharing capabilities at this stage. AU in general still needs lots of work before it can replace IAA completely.

• edited March 2018

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:
    The big issue for me is not being able to load a sample into the AU, without faffing about with the IAA version. Means I tend not to use it.

The biggest issue with au's in general is the limited file/preset sharing capabilities and maybe the reason why we don't see much sample-based au's released. I'm also wondering why cubasis suggest to save presets in the host app and not in the au's provided manager. Something definitely stinks with AU's in general and the file sharing capabilities at this stage. AU in general still needs lots of work before it can replace IAA completely.

I read somewhere on here today that the new Moog IAA/AU preset sharing works, so it sounds like it’s possible.

It should be pretty straightforward to load samples in though - most sample based AU’s can do this. It’s almost a bit weird that it doesn’t allow it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

I read somewhere on here today that the new Moog IAA/AU preset sharing works, so it sounds like it’s possible.

It should be pretty straightforward to load samples in though - most sample based AU’s can do this. It’s almost a bit weird that it doesn’t allow it.

The only one I know is Beathawk. Mood, Idensity and Reslice all need the stand-alone app to import samples. Synth presets are a different story.

• @Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Proto said:

@MonzoPro said:

The only one I know is Beathawk. Mood, Idensity and Reslice all need the stand-alone app to import samples. Synth presets are a different story.

You can paste in audio in ReSlice.