Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain Auv3 granular Synth

Comments

• @Dawdles said:
    Anyone know if possible to set the tardigrain keyboard to trigger automation only? No notes.

So I can record chords or notes via a daw’s sequencer or arpeggiator/sequencer app and disable the keyboard in the tardigrain au ui? So I can then use the tardigrain keyboard to record tardigrain parameter automation only?

If not possible currently it would be a useful feature to add.

If you have AUM and Rozeta, you can drive the notes with a sequencer or arp like you mentioned. But if you use Rozeta x/y controller as well to control the parameters, you can actually do way more.
    You have two independent x/y controllers, so you can have four different parameter control groups instead of the two you get with the app KB. Also, in the app you can only control four different parameters at once, plus the filter. There is also a filter x/y pad in the app. But with Rozeta x/y you can assign all of the parameters at the same time to any of the four control groups. You can even limit the range or invert the control, like in the app. You can do this in the midi control assignment section in AUM, per parameter. You can also use Rozeta LFOs on some parameters instead.
    You should try it. It is a lot of crazy sounding fun. B)

• edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@CracklePot said:

@Dawdles said:
    Anyone know if possible to set the tardigrain keyboard to trigger automation only? No notes.

So I can record chords or notes via a daw’s sequencer or arpeggiator/sequencer app and disable the keyboard in the tardigrain au ui? So I can then use the tardigrain keyboard to record tardigrain parameter automation only?

If not possible currently it would be a useful feature to add.

If you have AUM and Rozeta, you can drive the notes with a sequencer or arp like you mentioned. But if you use Rozeta x/y controller as well to control the parameters, you can actually do way more.
    You have two independent x/y controllers, so you can have four different parameter control groups instead of the two you get with the app KB. Also, in the app you can only control four different parameters at once, plus the filter. There is also a filter x/y pad in the app. But with Rozeta x/y you can assign all of the parameters at the same time to any of the four control groups. You can even limit the range or invert the control, like in the app. You can do this in the midi control assignment section in AUM, per parameter. You can also use Rozeta LFOs on some parameters instead.
    You should try it. It is a lot of crazy sounding fun. B)

Thanks will check that out. Not sure if it will give me what I’m looking for as I want to be able to automate individual notes separately simultaneously, the way that the inbuilt keyboard facilitates, but sounds cool to mess with anyway. Cheers!

Edit - think I might have got it wrong, thinking that keyboard modulation affected parameters on a per note basis. Is it global? Just the graphic looks like each key has independent modulation, from memory. Will check it out when get chance.

Each key is a little x/y pad, but they all go to the same four parameters and the filter.

• @CracklePot you seem to have good control of AUM midi ctrl, so I don´t understand why you´re having problems with Tardigrain in the effect slot? Just use AUM to link the AU parameters to a midi cc value. It took like 5 seconds to have Rozeta LFO modulate some Tardigrain parameter in the effect slot.

• @skiphunt said:
    @CracklePot that’s not really what I was after, but it’s still a pretty good idea! Thanks :)

I think I just need to spend more time with the app to figure out how to completely dial out all effects. And, I’m baffled with the loop point control too, but the loop point control baffles me on his other apps as well, so I’m guessing there’s nothing wrong with it. ;)

This being grains, you will never get a clean output of the raw sample. Maybe this will get you closer to what you try:

• shift length to the max, 1 sec
    • play direction forward
    • both min and max multipliers to the max, 64
    • play count 0
    • all effects off (reverb, sample crush, spread, waveshaper gain, ...)
    • adsr curve as a square (maybe not so important)

I think the most important parameters are multipliers and shift length, to ensure that the grains are rather long and that they move along without being stuck! Try this with an arp loop that you know, and you should hear it resemble quite a bit when you hold one key down.

After having played that loop for a while try reducing the shift length to 0.25 for a nice slow-down playback of the loop. Now map keyboard x to shift length, keyboard y to gain, make the keys bigger in size, and play the loop while changing the x/y. Quite nice.

• Latest update fixes GarageBand capability

• edited March 2018

Lovely sounding little app with some nice & fine options for mangling, usual quality from Erik S.

Alas, am having ongoing issues trying to import samples, seems a bit of an oddly unecesarry PITA.

Whenever I hit the audiopaste button I am mysteriously transported to an opening CS Grain ?!!?!?!!!?!? Anyone else getting this ? Air2 iOS 11.2.5

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bleep said:

@skiphunt said:
    @CracklePot that’s not really what I was after, but it’s still a pretty good idea! Thanks :)

I think I just need to spend more time with the app to figure out how to completely dial out all effects. And, I’m baffled with the loop point control too, but the loop point control baffles me on his other apps as well, so I’m guessing there’s nothing wrong with it. ;)

This being grains, you will never get a clean output of the raw sample. Maybe this will get you closer to what you try:

• shift length to the max, 1 sec
    • play direction forward
    • both min and max multipliers to the max, 64
    • play count 0
    • all effects off (reverb, sample crush, spread, waveshaper gain, ...)
    • adsr curve as a square (maybe not so important)

I think the most important parameters are multipliers and shift length, to ensure that the grains are rather long and that they move along without being stuck! Try this with an arp loop that you know, and you should hear it resemble quite a bit when you hold one key down.

After having played that loop for a while try reducing the shift length to 0.25 for a nice slow-down playback of the loop. Now map keyboard x to shift length, keyboard y to gain, make the keys bigger in size, and play the loop while changing the x/y. Quite nice.

I think you’re right about it never being completely clean, being that it’s grains. I think I had everything set the way you describe to get my sample even close to legible, but I may have missed one on them. Will play again and will try out your slowdown x/y method too. Sounds like it’d be up my ally. Thx :)

• edited March 2018

Erik Sigth + granular synthesis + au = instant buy

Granular synthesis........LOVE IT

Thanks mentioning this new app.

• @bleep said:
    @CracklePot you seem to have good control of AUM midi ctrl, so I don´t understand why you´re having problems with Tardigrain in the effect slot? Just use AUM to link the AU parameters to a midi cc value. It took like 5 seconds to have Rozeta LFO modulate some Tardigrain parameter in the effect slot.

Yeah I found it. It just threw me at first because it doesn’t have the midi connections options on the fx node on the track, and the app didn’t show up in the midi matrix. I was trying to sort out a different issue then, but found it later when playing with the midi control in AUM.

• @Paul16 said:
    Lovely sounding little app with some nice & fine options for mangling, usual quality from Erik S.

Alas, am having ongoing issues trying to import samples, seems a bit of an oddly unecesarry PITA.

Whenever I hit the audiopaste button I am mysteriously transported to an opening CS Grain ?!!?!?!!!?!? Anyone else getting this ? Air2 iOS 11.2.5

Haha yes, this is a problem I’ve had with other apps as well. No clue what makes it open CSGrain.

I just have all my samples in Audioshare, so it’s no big deal to select one and open in Tardigrain. Simple enough for me.

• edited March 2018

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

Haha yes, this is a problem I’ve had with other apps as well. No clue what makes it open CSGrain.

I just have all my samples in Audioshare, so it’s no big deal to select one and open in Tardigrain. Simple enough for me.

I can’t get the AudioShare method to work. The app says the clipboard is empty. Is there a trick to get it to work?
    I have been using “copy to general pasteboard” in AudioShare, then the AudioPaste button in Tardigrain. This is working, but the usual “copy to app” method is not working.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey guys for anyone still in the fence on this amazing Synth: just when you say nooooo not another synth!

In AUM effected by Discord4 :o

Enjoy: ;)

MM4C-Tardigrain Magestic Droning at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

Nice drone! How many samples is that?

• @skiphunt said:
    Getting much use out of this one. Long time fan of this developer.

Trying to figure out how to dial this all the way down to almost no effect to start with, then slowly dial in more weirdness.

I was trying to add just a little bit this lofi/dense source recording, but still ended up getting a little too much and muddled. Cool, but it’d be nice I’d there was a switch to just make everything flat to start off with. Unless there already is one that I haven’t found yet.

Another good one! How many tracks/samples on this?

• It was one of the presets. Forgot the name but I think it was Dronean or something like that. Thanks

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey guys for anyone still in the fence on this amazing Synth: just when you say nooooo not another synth!

In AUM effected by Discord4 :o

Enjoy: ;)

MM4C-Tardigrain Magestic Droning at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

Nice drone! How many samples is that?

• edited March 2018

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

I can’t get the AudioShare method to work. The app says the clipboard is empty. Is there a trick to get it to work?
    I have been using “copy to general pasteboard” in AudioShare, then the AudioPaste button in Tardigrain. This is working, but the usual “copy to app” method is not working.

Just to be clear, do you mean selecting the file in Audioshare, clicking the square with the arrow, and then choosing the Tardigrain app to ‘open in’ doesn’t work?

It works just fine for me, but I am curious as I’ve had problems opening files from Audioshare into Auria here lately. Are you working with 48k samples by any chance?

(I ask because I think there might be a small, obscure bug in Audioshare that I’m trying to pinpoint).

• edited March 2018

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

You can't audiopaste into an AU, only into the standalone. The workaround is to audiopaste into the standalone and then use the special copy/paste function to paste into the AU. See the link below for details:

http://www.humbletune.com/tardigrain/

• Oh yes, I should also mention that I’m just using the IAA version and not the AU @CracklePot . I love AU, but I’m one of those who has no problem using IAA if it works.

• @oat_phipps said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

Just to be clear, do you mean selecting the file in Audioshare, clicking the square with the arrow, and then choosing the Tardigrain app to ‘open in’ doesn’t work?

Open in definitely not working for me even using the app standalone. Where should I find my imported samples in Tardigrain other than the open file icon? Also, deleted and reinstalled but in app help doesn’t look correct. I click the ? To trigger help then select a function but get the same message on everything I choose.

Lots of potential here but a few things need addressing :)

I am on iOS 11.2.5 iPad Air 2

• edited March 2018

• edited March 2018

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

I’m guessing the problem is with audio paste rather than Tardigrain ? The usual Audioshare open in method is not working at all, Tardigrain is recognised in the list but when selected it fails to paste & just flips back to Tardigrain with the existant sample in place. Using the general paste board seems to be the only current way for me to get samples in, skip past the oddness with csGrain & then save state in Tardigrain to get it into the presets folder. All occurring in standalone mode.

All that notwithstanding, this is one of the more impressive new apps I’ve found in a good while, endlessly fantastic sound manipulation possibilities.

• @CracklePot said:

>

Love the idea of what you describe. Any chance of a video showing this in action, Mr Pot?

• Sorry to ask here, but the humbletune "contact" page is empty and there is neither a manual nor a proper description of the app, just a rough summary.

Could anybody please tell me what grain parameters you can adjust, like grain envelope for each grain, position randomization, number of grains etc, and how well can transient and percussive material be "smoothened out" with tardigrain?
    Just asking because I love Robert Henke's "Granulator" and I'm currious to know how close thiis one is...
    Thanks!

• What , impoort samples only from audiopaste?
    Audioshare support please

• @richardyot said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

You can't audiopaste into an AU, only into the standalone. The workaround is to audiopaste into the standalone and then use the special copy/paste function to paste into the AU. See the link below for details:

Thanks a lot.

• Could anybody please tell me what grain parameters you can adjust, like grain envelope for each grain, position randomization, number of grains etc, and how well can transient and percussive material be "smoothened out" with tardigrain?
    Just asking because I love Robert Henke's "Granulator" and I'm currious to know how close thiis one is...
    Thanks!

There is an on screen manual, but that's not much help if you don't already own the app. Your best bet is Jacob's video walkthrough:

https://youtu.be/2BLg9ZUJQqE

• edited March 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@skiphunt said:
    Getting much use out of this one. Long time fan of this developer.

Trying to figure out how to dial this all the way down to almost no effect to start with, then slowly dial in more weirdness.

I was trying to add just a little bit this lofi/dense source recording, but still ended up getting a little too much and muddled. Cool, but it’d be nice I’d there was a switch to just make everything flat to start off with. Unless there already is one that I haven’t found yet.

Another good one! How many tracks/samples on this?

It’s just 2 tracks in AUM. One is from a recording I did of one of those cheap plastic Chinese Buddhist prayer boxes that you can get off eBay. I used/played notes of that as a sample in Tardigrain and tried to dial Tardigrain down enough that the source recording was still vaguely recognizable.

Mixed the second track that is a recording of electromagnetic noise from one of those old telephone recording suction-cup mics and run through Audio Damage’s Discord4 plug-in.

• @Proto said:

@richardyot said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Paul16 said:

Thanks a lot.

The workflow for me has been use the standalone or an IAA of any type. This will give you access to the full copy/paste functionality. In AudioShare, you use the copy button, not the open in option. I use copy to general pasteboard and have recently deleted AudioCopy from my device. In Tardigrain, I use the AudioCopy button and select paste from general pastebboard.
    Now that I have my wavefile in the stand alone Tardigrain app or IAA version, I want to get it in an AU instance. In Tardigrain, with the wave you want loaded, hit copy wave. Now in the AU instance, delete the wave if there is one already, then paste the copied wave with the one button that shows in the AU version.
    The reason I suggest deleting/clearing the existing wave before you paste is because I had some weirdness happen when I didn’t do that. I think it was when I tried to record into Tardigrain efffect mode, but didn’t clear the app before recording and got some horrible garbage results. It may not be necessary for the paste function to work, but I do it just to be sure and get in the habit of clearing the old wave before I put in the new one.

• @Zen210507 said:

@CracklePot said:

>

Love the idea of what you describe. Any chance of a video showing this in action, Mr Pot?

I will see what I can do. It will just be a screen capture style, as well as my first tut vid ever.
    I actually have another cool Tardigrain trick to share, but it is rather complicated to explain, so I may try to show that in a vid as well.