Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain Auv3 granular Synth

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@ALB said:

@gusgranite said:
    Update out

Is there a way to get the standalone user presets to the AU? Just updated, but I don't see the option.

I can’t see how, either.

OK - thanks for checking. I know other devs have figured this out. Maybe in an update...

• edited March 2018

Hey guys for anyone still in the fence on this amazing Synth: just when you say nooooo not another synth!

In AUM effected by Discord4 :o

Enjoy: ;)

MM4C-Tardigrain Magestic Droning at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

• @echoopera said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:
    Hmmmm, so in BM3 as an AU I cannot see the user sets that I saved nor do i seem able to load anything or use the paste...

How u folks using it in BM3?

Definitely not the same experience as standalone.

Yah standalone was awesome. Made a bunch of patches I look forward to recording. I can just host it as IAA in BM3 for now. It actualy does feel like the sort of thing that is just best recorded a track at a time for me anyway.

Is it usable as an AU in BM3 if you set it up stand alone, or is it not of much use that way?

Yep. Just add the AU to individual Banks and you’re good to go...although the AU doesn’t seem to see your saved patches yet.

I would say half yep, half nope.

I cant find a way to use imported audio when running as an AU in BM3.

As near as I can tell you can only use the factory presets as an AU. If this is the case then an update is likely in the works (or should be) to rectify this.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey guys for anyone still in the fence on this amazing Synth: just when you say nooooo not another synth!

I really like that track.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah I know your right. I just have a feeling there is some big money spend apps coming up lol (well big for us modest income blokes). Thanks for your thoughts though.

Is there? What's coming up?

My main money worry at the moment (aside needing a new roof and not having an income) is my Air2, it's getting ridiculously hot and doing lots of weird stuff...I fear it's not much longer for this world.

Check the battery. Replacing a battery is not that expensive.

• @Dawdles said:
    .> @Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:
    Played with this for about an hour (time got a bit distorted) and only lost about 10% battery on an X. Some lovely sounds erupting but no idea where some of those sounds came from. Bit of of a pain to use some of the buttons on the X due to the notch and had to flip the phone 180 degrees depending on which side buttons I wanted to use.

Yeah I noticed it was very light on battery use.

It was coming out with sounds that I've never heard on a iPad before last night - much strangeness, but then moments of beauty.

The button things are a pain, but this will definitely get some use from me, as it's capable of some pretty unique noises.

Can I take this as a recommendation then @MonzoPro, being aware that it may have issues in BM3, is it worth using standalone for samples to import in ?

Getting samples in to the au is undeniable hassle. First you gotta audio copy them in to standalone. Then you gotta copy them in to an au instance. But....if spend a couple hours importing like 50 samples, that should lead to endless material for designing patches and saving as new patches. And obviously a single sample can have various sections and sounds inside it, could have a whole orchestral song for example, which you can pick and choose different sections of and set loop point for totally different instruments. Shame this import aspect isn’t very fluid but that’s just iOS in general I suppose....

Ahhh you can copy samples from standalone to AU... cool thanks!

• Anyone figured out how to use the "Set loop point"? I don't quite see what it does. The start/stop window is more straightforward.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@bleep said:
    Anyone figured out how to use the "Set loop point"? I don't quite see what it does. The start/stop window is more straightforward.

+1 I’ve got no idea what this does..

+1

thought this might be a kinda record loop and automation like in samplr... that did not the trick for me. curious ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Now got Rozeta Particles playing it randomly in the background while having a vape lol

It's great for that, I put it through Discord4 as well, which is becoming a bit of a favourite.> @cian said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah I know your right. I just have a feeling there is some big money spend apps coming up lol (well big for us modest income blokes). Thanks for your thoughts though.

Is there? What's coming up?

My main money worry at the moment (aside needing a new roof and not having an income) is my Air2, it's getting ridiculously hot and doing lots of weird stuff...I fear it's not much longer for this world.

Check the battery. Replacing a battery is not that expensive.

Yeah I should look into that, looks like Apple charge £102.44 (probably plus VAT).

• @echoopera said:
    another little sonic disturbance...this time with 3 instances of Tardigrain in Beatmaker 3

Really cool!

• edited March 2018

@david_2017 said:
    thought this might be a kinda record loop and automation like in samplr... that did not the trick for me. curious ;)

It would be great if it was, though! Maybe it will be, one day? There seems to be other unfinished parts in that area; the small help says you're supposed to be able to load a sample from another preset there, but I can't see a way to do that yet.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

Great little track there

• Thanks guys!

Really like this track too!

Can we share presets?

@cuscolima said:

@echoopera said:
    another little sonic disturbance...this time with 3 instances of Tardigrain in Beatmaker 3

Really cool!

• Humbletune has a page with "How to tips" here: http://www.humbletune.com/tardigrain/

There it is explained why the process of getting samples into the AU plugin is rather convoluted. So maybe we will not see much improvement here ... the standalone app could get an Audioshare import button, but maybe there are other more important features to focus on, given that you can paste from Audioshare (and also "Open in", I believe?)

• edited March 2018

There was a thread here earlier regarding the mess with AU presets in plugins, different hosts and standalone apps: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17880/au-presets-are-saved-on-host-not-the-au

The conclusion seems to be this (if it is still valid?): There is currently only one way to make sure that you can use all of your presets in any host you want, and that is to save it in the preset management system that is part of the UI of the Audio Unit Extension.

Does it work properly if you follow this advice?
    Edit: I guess this means you need to save it by using the UI of the AU plugin while it is in a host. I can't remember if Tardigrain supports this.

• I really like this app, but maybe the dev could look at the iDensity AU for loading samples. Just a thought...

• @bleep said:
    There was a thread here earlier regarding the mess with AU presets in plugins, different hosts and standalone apps: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17880/au-presets-are-saved-on-host-not-the-au

The conclusion seems to be this (if it is still valid?): There is currently only one way to make sure that you can use all of your presets in any host you want, and that is to save it in the preset management system that is part of the UI of the Audio Unit Extension.

Does it work properly if you follow this advice?
    Edit: I guess this means you need to save it by using the UI of the AU plugin while it is in a host. I can't remember if Tardigrain supports this.

You can create and save presets in either the AU or the standalone, but you can’t accaess the presets from one version to the next. If you want user presets in the AU version, you have to make and save them in the AU version.

• edited March 2018

@oat_phipps said:
    This thing sounds massive. Steal for $5, as are all of his apps.

>

A price at which this developer is obviously happy with, and seems to me part altruism part good business practise. At this price almost nobody is put off, and many people are delighted to have a great deal. More so, when they discover what a good app it is, which in turn promotes us wanting to talk about it, tell others, and thus help promote sales. Win-win.

• Just saw the update for this. The dev is on the case. Still trying to figure out this “set loop” business. Great app, I freakin love it! :)

• edited March 2018

Getting much use out of this one. Long time fan of this developer.

Trying to figure out how to dial this all the way down to almost no effect to start with, then slowly dial in more weirdness.

I was trying to add just a little bit this lofi/dense source recording, but still ended up getting a little too much and muddled. Cool, but it’d be nice I’d there was a switch to just make everything flat to start off with. Unless there already is one that I haven’t found yet.

• @skiphunt said:
    Getting much use out of this one. Long time fan of this developer.

Trying to figure out how to dial this all the way down to almost no effect to start with, then slowly dial in more weirdness.

I was trying to add just a little bit this lofi/dense source recording, but still ended up getting a little too much and muddled. Cool, but it’d be nice I’d there was a switch to just make everything flat to start off with. Unless there already is one that I haven’t found yet.

Something you can try is squishing the start and stop markers together and try to place them on a section of your way file that is silent. Then animate the start and stop markers via CC or whatever to slowly open up to the section of the wav you want to use. You may need to also set the max grain window to 1 or at least a low value at the beginning, depending on how much silence you have in your wav. Then you can animate the max grain window to the latter setting when you fade in the effect.

• edited March 2018

@CracklePot that’s not really what I was after, but it’s still a pretty good idea! Thanks :)

I think I just need to spend more time with the app to figure out how to completely dial out all effects. And, I’m baffled with the loop point control too, but the loop point control baffles me on his other apps as well, so I’m guessing there’s nothing wrong with it. ;)

• edited March 2018

@skiphunt said:
    @CracklePot that’s not really what I was after, but it’s still a pretty good idea! Thanks :)

I think I just need to spend more time with the app to figure out how to completely dial out all effects. And, I’m baffled with the loop point control too, but the loop point control baffles me on his other apps as well, so I’m guessing there’s nothing wrong with it. ;)

On the OP1, I can set a start and end point, and then a loop point between the two. When I play the sample and hold down the key, it does one sweep from start to finish. It then goes back to the start, and the plays continuously as far as where I’ve set the loop point.

It means I can play quick hits of the full sample, or hold down a key for a looped version. Setting the loop point means I can find a sweet spot with no clicks.

Not sure if that’s a standard thing, but works nicely on the OP1

• I was checking out effects mode for this app and was able to record apps into it live. But there is no copy wave function in this mode either. I wanted to hook up midi to the CC parameters, but you can’t when it is in effects mode (or I haven’t figured it out). So then I save a preset, thinking it is an AU effect so it should work. But when I loaded it as an AU instrument, the preset was not available, only in effects mode is it available.
    Anybody have any ideas on how to get around this?

• I just loaded it as an IAA effect, and it seems to have all of the stand alone features, mainly copy wave. The midi is available in this mode as well. Now to see if it all functions.

• @CracklePot said:
    I was checking out effects mode for this app and was able to record apps into it live. But there is no copy wave function in this mode either. I wanted to hook up midi to the CC parameters, but you can’t when it is in effects mode (or I haven’t figured it out). So then I save a preset, thinking it is an AU effect so it should work. But when I loaded it as an AU instrument, the preset was not available, only in effects mode is it available.

You could just load a sample in AUM as a source and then use tardigrain as the effect - would that work?

• edited March 2018

@ALB said:

@CracklePot said:
    I was checking out effects mode for this app and was able to record apps into it live. But there is no copy wave function in this mode either. I wanted to hook up midi to the CC parameters, but you can’t when it is in effects mode (or I haven’t figured it out). So then I save a preset, thinking it is an AU effect so it should work. But when I loaded it as an AU instrument, the preset was not available, only in effects mode is it available.

You could just load a sample in AUM as a source and then use tardigrain as the effect - would that work?

Yes, but the lack of midi CC for the AU effect mode is pretty limiting. But I am still trying to figure that part out.

What I have done so far is record some Phasemaker into Tardigrain as an IAA effect. Then I was able to hook up Rozeta LFOs to this IAA instance. The midi worked.
    Then I copied wave in the IAA, opened an AU instrument version, and pasted the wave.
    It is really fast to sample your apps and get the samples into the AU version this way. The IAA effect mode has transport and switch to controls to bounce back into AUM. I recommend you all to try it out.