Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tardigrain Auv3 granular Synth

Comments

• Would really like to see MIDI out in the AU

• Just to say thank you to the developer. The latest update fixes the tapping on the edge of screen controls not always responding. It’s now working perfectly :)

• @Mark B said:
    Just to say thank you to the developer. The latest update fixes the tapping on the edge of screen controls not always responding. It’s now working perfectly :)

+1 really important update.

• Agreed! Huuuge quality of life improvement using Tardigrain and Elsa, especially on iPhone.

• I’ve seen a few granular synths popup recently. Don’t really know what they are tbh but quite fancy having a go :)

How does this compare to the others? What’s the best one to kick off with?

• @gregsmith said:
    I’ve seen a few granular synths popup recently. Don’t really know what they are tbh but quite fancy having a go :)

This is good, especially with the update but you absolutely need SpaceCraft if you have any interest in granular.

IMHO etc.

• @gregsmith said:
    I’ve seen a few granular synths popup recently. Don’t really know what they are tbh but quite fancy having a go :)

Personally the new Granulars all offer something unique. I have all of them but none see the attention I give Tardigrain. It's really going to come down to personal pref and workflow.

SpaceCraft is probably the quickest to grasp and use and I love it, can't wait to see what the dev does for it in the future.

• edited November 2018

They are all super different. IMO as a starting point tardigrain and spacecraft are both fantastic and worth getting. They both have super intuitive workflows. They both make incredible use of the touch screen. As such they do something that never feels like it would work better with a keyboard and mouse.

Tardigrain is crazy good at making sustained pitched sounds out of whatever samples you throw at it, and the UI is one of the best on any iOS synths for playing pads and melodies on screen.

Spacecraft is hard to describe, and absolutely amazing. It does more traditional granular tricks, but the UI and workflow is what makes it such a beast. It’s also very cheap. Must buy IMO.

From there, I think Quanta (iPad only + requires recent machine) is an absolute monster if you want deep + flexible modulation options. I wouldn’t replace spacecraft or tardigrain with it - their workflow is just too good, and quanta doesn’t make as good a use of the touch screen - but it’s an amazing synth for deeper modulation.

• edited April 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    The more I use this the more I’m getting into it. The keyboard control is excellent for expressive playing, and the CPU hit is tiny as an AU.

This and Discord4 work really nicely together, chuffed with both of these.

And tiny for how intricate of a sound you can make with more complex samples. Totally loving this thing.

• Love tardigrain. I do find that certain properties in an au instance don’t stick, specifically gain in the top left. Is anyone else finding this?

• Nice 👍

You can use the tardigrain as an AU effects hence the reverb when monitoring the mic input. You can drag and drop audio files direct from the file app.

• edited August 2019

Very helpful, thank you! Just a couple of days ago I couldn't figure out how the hell to load samples into the AUM version. This is a quality sounding app. It can get pretty out there as an fx plugin when modulating the wave shapper, bit crusher and reverb. I just hope at least the IAA will respond to midi program change when I try!

• edited August 2019

nice vid... but that icon has a whole different ring to it now the Israelis have polluted the moon with bucket loads of em!
    it’s a weird world...

edit: ah! hadn’t noticed that @MarkH who made the vid already gave the low down on the zionist tardigrade infestation of the moon.. still a baffling idea to come to terms with though!!

• Good god, this guy makes thorough videos.

• There is definitely still a bug in the Tardigrain envelope even after todays update...

Once one sets the decay to 0.00s it's no longer possible to increase it :(
    (It gets stuck to the vertical line shared with the envelopes attack).

Don't know if @humbletne still checks this forums but consider this a bug-report :)

• +1 on the bug @samu found.

• @Samu said:
    There is definitely still a bug in the Tardigrain envelope even after todays update...

Don't know if @humbletne still checks this forums but consider this a bug-report :)

If you attach a Midi controller to Tardigrain and tweak CC#4 it will unstick the decay from the attack, if you previously set decay to 0.
    I just use a Rozeta X/Y pad usually.

Kind of a pain, but it will work until the bug gets fixed.

• @CracklePot said:

If you attach a Midi controller to Tardigrain and tweak CC#4 it will unstick the decay from the attack, if you previously set decay to 0.

Thanks, I'm mostly using the apeMatrix midi send AUv3 or KB-1 AUv3 when I need CC knobs on screen :)
    Hope it'll be fixed, it's been like that for a very long time... (Never bothered to report it since I felt it's one of those 'ooops missed that one, will silently fix for next release' kinda things).

Thanks again :)

• @CracklePot said:

@Samu said:
    There is definitely still a bug in the Tardigrain envelope even after todays update...

Thanks for this workaround 👍

• @[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

@Samu said:

You both are welcome!
    B)

• @CracklePot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

@Samu said:

You both are welcome!
    B)

I believe a fix is coming for this one soon 👍

• @[Deleted User] said:

I believe a fix is coming for this one soon 👍

It's fixed now :)

• I have created several presets in the standalone version. How can I import them in the AU version?

• @cuscolima said:
    I have created several presets in the standalone version. How can I import them in the AU version?

No can do as far as I know. Same issues with Elsa as well...
    (I'd love to see 'preset sync' between Stand Alone and AUv3 even if it has to be manually initiated by launching the stand-alone).

I'm mostly using AUv3's with AUM and other hosts since it's for me a smoother flow than using the stand-alones...

• The envelope decay still not working in IAA ;-/ I haven't had luck pasting own soundfiles into AU version.

• @ElectroHead said:
    The envelope decay still not working in IAA ;-/ I haven't had luck pasting own soundfiles into AU version.

regarding copy paste we talked about using file app in another thread. Maybe is of some help?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h4v7uq3hvo4tbh/RPReplay_Final1566300374.mov?dl=0

• @Samu said:

@cuscolima said:
    I have created several presets in the standalone version. How can I import them in the AU version?

No can do as far as I know. Same issues with Elsa as well...
    (I'd love to see 'preset sync' between Stand Alone and AUv3 even if it has to be manually initiated by launching the stand-alone).

I'm mostly using AUv3's with AUM and other hosts since it's for me a smoother flow than using the stand-alones...

Thanks for the answer. I have forgotten that we can load Tardigrain in the fx slot in AUM. I will save my future presets directly there! The sound out of this app is a true wonder...good grain

• @cuscolima said:

Thanks for the answer. I have forgotten that we can load Tardigrain in the fx slot in AUM. I will save my future presets directly there! The sound out of this app is a true wonder...good grain

Yeah, the only worry I've got is how to backup or sync the presets between the Stand Alone and AUv3 and other devices.

• This might be a little thing iospad allows