Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Nanokey Studio Custom Scene Setup

Comments

• edited February 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    I’m thinking I have a faulty NKS @LucidMusicInc

I think we've all thought that at some point. Persevere!

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@WillieNegus said:

Lmao@Perservere. I don’t get it. Arp was just working great. Works like a charm in Easy Midi. Nothing in advanced mode.

• When ARP is toggled. My NKS only works on channel 9 intermittently. After awhile, Keys stop working and just the pads which I understand are always on channel 9. Wierd ting gwon

• edited February 2018

@WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@WillieNegus said:

Lmao@Perservere. I don’t get it. Arp was just working great. Works like a charm in Easy Midi. Nothing in advanced mode.

Good find. Yes pads and arps are designated to channel 9 (global) or all

You can also turn the arps on using the gadget.

• I'm not a tech person but it sounds like you've got a hardware issue. My advice is to use it plugged in at all times and make sure you've got a proper cable.

If you want to go back to the default settings you can do that from the control editor.

I'll have one more version of this out tweaking settings on the xy pad, soonish.

Best of luck!

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Good find. Yes pads and arps are designated to channel 9 (global)

Cooking with gas now! B)

• Needed new batteries. I refuse to chain my NKS and IPad together. Defeats why I got it. Still can’t understand why there’s so few Bluetooth midi controllers.

• @WillieNegus one reason your device may be disconnecting is you're hitting shift-wireless. I do that sometimes. Instead of pushing the scene button I'll push shift and pad 4 which deactivates bluetooth. Watch out for that one.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Needed new batteries. I refuse to chain my NKS and IPad together. Defeats why I got it. Still can’t understand why there’s so few Bluetooth midi controllers.

Korg released the Tactile which is the NkS on super steroids, also BT. You can go into the Control Editor, open the global file, go into power management, turn the LEDs off and write it to the device. That will give you a little extra battery time.

• you sniffed out the culprit. just caught myself hitting wireless. Noticed the blue light blink then go off. Swag is playing iM1 horns on keys while drumming in Recife on 9 B) @LucidMusicInc scene set for the win.

• I was looking at the touch scale y axis options. It's just another CC which would have to be mapped so I'm a leave everything the way it is.

@WillieNegus So happy that it finally worked out for you! B)

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I was looking at the touch scale y axis options. It's just another CC which would have to be mapped so I'm a leave everything the way it is.

Me too! This was a very welcomed treat. I’m thinking touch scale could use velocity. I think mapping X/Y to cutoff and resonance is the yellow brick road.

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I was looking at the touch scale y axis options. It's just another CC which would have to be mapped so I'm a leave everything the way it is.

Me too! This was a very welcomed treat. I’m thinking touch scale could use velocity. I think mapping X/Y to cutoff and resonance is the yellow brick road.

Touch scale y axis has the problem of being mapped to the master out, which would create a conflict with the pad mute or if you were using a knob for volume.

There's no difference between my template and the factory settings for the xy fx mode but mapping is stupid difficult because the xy sensors are so close together.

The workaround I suggest is mapping one fx to the xy mode and another fx to the pitch mod.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

The workaround I suggest is mapping one fx to the xy mode and another fx to the pitch mod.

Gotcha. Small bummer. I was hoping to emulate a wind controller with the cuttoff/resonance mapped to x/y. Won’t really work separately but it’s still exponentially more expressive now than it was yesterday.

You should definitely do a vid with file download. I’m sure there are tons of NKS users waiting to throw rose petals at your feet for these 8 custom scenes.

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Gotcha. Small bummer. I was hoping to emulate a wind controller with the cuttoff/resonance mapped to x/y. Won’t really work separately but it’s still exponentially more expressive now than it was yesterday.

You should definitely do a vid with file download. I’m sure there are tons of NKS users waiting to throw rose petals at your feet for these 8 custom scenes.

Getting the xy mapped isn't impossible but it's fiddly as hell. Maybe using some precision tool might like an Apple Pencil or something might get it to work. The x axis is 10 and the y is 11 but mapping always cancels one out because both are getting activated at the same time.

I'm in the process of getting videos going. Be sure to subscribe and get notifications. Developing my channel was one motivation for getting around to making this template ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Getting the xy mapped isn't impossible but it's fiddly as hell. Maybe using some precision tool might like an Apple Pencil or something might get it to work. The x axis is 10 and the y is 11 but mapping always cancels one out because both are getting activated at the same time.

I'm in the process of getting videos going. Be sure to subscribe and get notifications. Developing my channel was one motivation for getting around to making this template ;)

Get the video up and they (self :)) will def. subscribe!

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Looking at some other synths and midi "implementation charts" I get an idea why the values were set as such. I will make some adjustments to make this template more compatible with other apps.

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

Any talk of more NKS “Lucid adjustments” and/or vids will be met with impatient anticipation. Definitely look forward to it and offer any assistance testing adjustments.

• edited March 2018

@WillieNegus

Version 2 is up. Just go to the original post. The new version has been swapped in.

What you can expect:

Actually there are fewer features in this release, notably, the Global channel has been reset from channel 9 to channel 1. This means there are a total of 8 midi channels instead of 9 and the pads/arp will only correlate to channel 1 (for the sake of simplicity.)

While tweaking the xy pad settings I discovered how to map the x and y axises properly. The xy pad (per channel) is now mapped to 16-18. 16 is the x axis, 17 is the y axis and 18 is a touch hold function. How you can use it. Mapping fx is done by setting the first value, so swiping horizontally for example, but DO NOT REMOVE YOUR FINGER. By holding your finger on the pad and not releasing it and then changing to fx slot 2 and swiping vertically and then going out of mapping mode you can retain the values. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't I'm going to work on the tutorial video next. Try to experiment with setting the xy values by keeping your finger held down on the pad.

Applications: You can use the xy pad to control the two fx parameters (CC 16-17) or you can touch and hold the pad (CC 18) to get some momentary fx (e.g. map fx slot 2 to cc 18 and it will go to full volume for the duration that you hold the pad).

Touch scale is still at a constant value. The y axis on touch pad can be mapped to a cc value in the control editor but I found the sounds it made (controlling the master volume) unappealing.

The velocity sensitivity on the pads is also locked in at a constant value of 120, (reasonably loud) where as the velocity settings for the keyboard were adjusted from light to medium light. Essentially the pads aren't velocity sensitive at all but the keys are more velocity sensitive then they were previously.

The value on the sustain pedal has been reset to 64 for compatibility with other apps.

The knobs sit at 20-27 and the pads on scene 8 sit on 29 for each midi channel. I wasn't able to set an upper limit on the pads so they default to 127.

Adjust the mixer levels accordingly. Another note on the muting... you can add some of the send reverb or any other insert fx (eg delay) to get a bit of an fx tail when muting the pads.

I used this range after referring to a standard midi implementation chart finding that the lower values potentially conflict with other software setups.

As far as mixer controls go, I referenced the setup for the NanoKontrol and a standard midi implementation and tried different values to get the mixer faders to work. No luck with those or with the transport controls either. So you can use the pads on scene 8 or maybe you can use the xy pads.

I know I said I was going to release another 2 versions but after giving it some thought I don't see the point really. This is the best possible version in that it maximises the available controls.

Sorry about the length of the post. To sum up, you can use the new version and not experience any noticeable change, except that it's simplified by keeping the pad/arp function by default mapped to channel 1. You'll also experience better compatibility with other apps, (GR16, Poison and other synths for example).

I'll have some time this weekend to demonstrate some of these points so stay tuned. In the meantime, enjoy and I look forward to hearing/seeing any results you can come up with too :smile:

• Sounds simple enough to unpack. Again, tons of gratitude for sharing. Can’t wait to check it out this evening. Traveling most of the day with just Ipad so I can’t load it up yet.

Have you tried mapping x/y to transport now that you’ve figured out how to assign the values consistently? I don’t see using that pad for anything expressive. I hate how it feels and mine actually moves around slightly when I slide a finger across it making it useless for anything remotely approaching precise or intentional. If it has 3 values I’d rather have play, loop, record.

• edited March 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    Sounds simple enough to unpack. Again, tons of gratitude for sharing. Can’t wait to check it out this evening. Traveling most of the day with just Ipad so I can’t load it up yet.

Have you tried mapping x/y to transport now that you’ve figured out how to assign the values consistently? I don’t see using that pad for anything expressive. I hate how it feels and mine actually moves around slightly when I slide a finger across it making it useless for anything remotely approaching precise or intentional. If it has 3 values I’d rather have play, loop, record.

Sure! Chose a scene, swipe horizontally for play pause and vertically for recording.

But in fact the pads work much better for that purpose. You can use the pads for transport control during the beatmaking process and then reassign them to pad mutes when you want to get into the live session:)

The pad is best used for touch scale with the arp on. Trust me!

Sorry to hear about your yout hardware though...

Forgot to mention previously the pads started on C2. I have them sitting on C1 now. It's a bit awkward because pads in London, Recife etc now start on the second row of scene 3 but better for compatibility now with Grooverider and other midi drum machine apps.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Sounds simple enough to unpack. Again, tons of gratitude for sharing. Can’t wait to check it out this evening. Traveling most of the day with just Ipad so I can’t load it up yet.

Sure! Chose a scene, swipe horizontally for play pause and vertically for recording.

But in fact the pads work much better for that purpose. You can use the pads for transport control during the beatmaking process and then reassign them to pad mutes when you want to get into the live session:)

The pad is best used for touch scale with the arp on. Trust me!

Sorry to hear about your yout hardware though...

Forgot to mention previously the pads started on C2. I have them sitting on C1 now. It's a bit awkward because pads in London, Recife etc now start on the second row of scene 3 but better for compatibility now with Grooverider and other midi drum machine apps.

I've swapped in version 3. I wasn't that happy with having the pads start on C1 after all, as the sampler gadgets all start on C2 (Abu Dhabi, Bilbao etc.) so the pads start on C2 (channel 1) and I also reversed the chromatic order, meaning that instead of the top pad being the lower note, I've made the lower pad the lower note, like you'd expect on a bank of pads. A few other very minor adjustments. Tested on various apps and happy with the outcome :)

• If only Delta hadn’t lost my checked bag id be able to explore this. It’s been some time now, what say you about this latest version?

• @WillieNegus said:
    If only Delta hadn’t lost my checked bag id be able to explore this. It’s been some time now, what say you about this latest version?

Damn you lost your NkS???? I hope you get it back!

I've been jamming away on the latest version and So far I haven't felt a need to modify it. This one's a winner :)

• Atleast that’s great news. And yeah, unfortunately my bags were lost. Hoping they arrive today entact.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Atleast that’s great news. And yeah, unfortunately my bags were lost. Hoping they arrive today entact.

That's so brutal... I'm terribly sorry. I always keep my NKS in my carry on.

I'm about an hour or less out from uploading a demo video.

• I spent the weekend rushing this out. I'm not completely happy with the song itself which is why it's an unlisted video. Think of it as a Audiobus members teaser exclusive. Still learning and debating whether or not this or another configuration is the way to go.

• edited March 2018

It’s lit! Lmao@rushing it out. You had mi cubana over here bouncing. She only moves to smooth grooves so I’d say the configuration is copacetic. Ok so now that we’ve established that my creative contributions aren’t required here :'( ....

More videos asap @LucidMusicInc aka GadgetGuru aka MustSeeYoutube. Get it up already so I can sub and learn more.

You just did something good my guy. I didn’t fully grasp what you did until just now. Must. Have. NKS. Now.

• @WillieNegus said:
    It’s lit! Lmao@rushing it out. You had mi cubana over here bouncing. She only moves to smooth grooves so I’d say the configuration is copacetic. Ok so now that we’ve established that my creative contributions aren’t required here :'( ....

More videos asap @LucidMusicInc aka GadgetGuru aka MustSeeYoutube. Get it up already so I can sub and learn more.

You just did something good my guy. I didn’t fully grasp what you did until just now. Must. Have. NKS. Now.

I'll stay with the song idea. I just meant I would have liked more time to develop and polish it. Maybe another week I can have this one and another out. Using the NKS like this certainly speeds up workflow. Appreciate the encouragement, mi amigo! Hasta la vista!

• Thanks for posting this, I plan on getting both of Kong’s Bluetooth nanokontrollers and primarily compose ideas in gadget so I think this will give me something to play with for a while