Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DISCORD 4 Sounds Smazing │ Stereo Pitch Shifter FX - haQ attaQ 272

2»

Comments

• I’m having a bit of an issue when reloading sessions in AUM. The pitch controls are frozen, so I have to eject and reload Discord4

• Nevermind I figured out the issue. If I recordbin Cubasis at 44.1 even at 24 bits Discord4 doesn’t disrupt sound while recording or playback. The issue is only when recording at 48khz. It’s Cubasis issue cause I could record 48khz Discord4 in AUM at 24 bits.

• So, is this a monophonic or polyphonic pitch shifter? (I.e, does it shift chords or complex source material up and down without glitches?)
    How is the operation with larger shifts? Does it get glitchy after a semitone or more pitch shift up or down?
    How is the frequency response? If you pass a full-range signal (drum kit with cymbals for example) through it, are the highs or lows rolled off?
    Could you use this to retune out of tune tracks without affecting their audio quality?

This looks pretty interesting, but no one seems to be addressing the operation beyond shifting a few cents in either direction.
    What say you, early adopters?

• How does this compare with Harmony 8 by Virsyn?
    I don't really use that much so far and wonder if it gives similar results :)

• edited March 2018

I don’t have that app but for me, this app is literally being used on every track. It’s my main app I add first to drums, Synths, guitars. There’s just some special sauce in it that adds something that’s hard to explain in mere words. For the low price let me just say, it will put a smile in your face.

Look at Doug’s video also when he adds it to the Synths, exactly same reaction it caused to me.

• Thanks @MusicMan4Christ will have another look :)

• @Carnbot said:
    How does this compare with Harmony 8 by Virsyn?

I didn't get on with Harmony 8, one of my very few refunds, though I think some of the initial issues were resolved. Like MusicMan4Christ said though I'm using Discord on nearly every track at the moment, really good app.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

I didn't get on with Harmony 8, one of my very few refunds, though I think some of the initial issues were resolved. Like MusicMan4Christ said though I'm using Discord on nearly every track at the moment, really good app.

I have it now and yes I agree it’s very special syrup for your tracks, love it :)
    Definitely gives more useable results (for me) than H8 although perhaps there are special use cases for it.

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

I have it now and yes I agree it’s very special syrup for your tracks, love it :)
    Definitely gives more useable results (for me) than H8 although perhaps there are special use cases for it.

It's good for adding a subtle bit of 'something else' to tracks...almost like having another couple of extra dials on whatever synth you're using. Very usable.

• @MonzoPro said:
    It's good for adding a subtle bit of 'something else' to tracks...almost like having another couple of extra dials on whatever synth you're using. Very usable.

>

Yep. As per usual, we don’t claim to actually know what we’re doing, but we listen just fine. Fiddling about with this produces really interesting variations.

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

>

Yep. As per usual, we don’t claim to actually know what we’re doing, but we listen just fine. Fiddling about with this produces really interesting variations.

Unusually for me I enjoy using it in a subtle way, for adding 'colour' to a track or instrument, and as it's AU and has a low CPU hit you can stick it on everything if you like.

• It’s perfect hand-in-hand with Phosphor with just a few cents adjustment and the delay/reverb feedback set to your taste.

• @Audiohub said:
    So, is this a monophonic or polyphonic pitch shifter? (I.e, does it shift chords or complex source material up and down without glitches?)
    How is the operation with larger shifts? Does it get glitchy after a semitone or more pitch shift up or down?
    How is the frequency response? If you pass a full-range signal (drum kit with cymbals for example) through it, are the highs or lows rolled off?
    Could you use this to retune out of tune tracks without affecting their audio quality?

This looks pretty interesting, but no one seems to be addressing the operation beyond shifting a few cents in either direction.
    What say you, early adopters?

First and foremost, it’s not a POG and it’s not meant to be. The tracking is only quoted to be stable up to 5 semitones in the manual. It’s a bit glitchy but “musically usable” (IMO) up to an octave. After an octave you start getting all sorts of artifacts, which I really love.

You get three shifting algorithms and each is better suited to certain source material. However, the buffer size interacts with the source material as well — you need to fiddle a little bit to accommodate the frequency range of your input. Not every note tracks the same; even within a one-octave scale, some notes track rock-solid and some come out warbly. I don’t think it’s advertised as a polyphonic pitch shifter but it can handle simple chords pretty gracefully. Better than a Whammy, worse than a POG, but I think it sounds cooler than either. Also, the delay lines and feedback open you up to some lovely shimmer effects.

I don’t mean to undersell the app’s stability. It sounds really cool and has a huge range of sounds; as others have said, you can put it on everything. But since you’re interested in larger intervals, just be prepared: if you go into it expecting something that sounds unique and cool, you’ll have a lot more fun than if you expect something clean and predictable.

• Thank you jrjulius for your explaination...this told me exactly what I wanted to know!

• I think this has become my current favourite fx. Just doesn’t feel right if I don’t sneak it in somewhere in the chain.

• Exactly!

@MonzoPro said:
    I think this has become my current favourite fx. Just doesn’t feel right if I don’t sneak it in somewhere in the chain.