Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trigger preset via MIDI?

I want to do two things simultaneously:

1. Open a preset in AB3
  2. Open a specific song in ForScore

Since ForScore is not generally an audio or MIDI app, it isn’t AU or AB3 or IAA compatible in any way that I know of. However it both sends and receives MIDI CC/program change data. It can send on open, or it can open on receive.

So how do I trigger and open an AB3 preset by sending a CC from ForScore to AB3? I can’t find anywhere in AB3 to trigger or allow this.

I also looked for a similar solution with AUM with similar results.

I’m supposed to meet with my vocalist today and this one last piece of the puzzle is frazzling my last nerve. Am I really going to have to buy a music stand and put sheets of paper on it?

Comments

• I am beginning to think that ForScore can’t do virtual midi. I do see setup options for that in OnScore, however. Damn...

• Not yet possible in Audiobus to receive MIDI commands for loading presets.

• How about sending MIDI? Like, when I load a preset, send a program or cc change out?

• edited February 2018

It appears forScore can send MIDI that can be received by other apps (tested using MIDI Scope and MidiFire), but I can’t get it to receive MIDI from other apps. Apparently it only responds to hardware MIDI in? I seem to recall a forum thread about faking out “hardware MIDI only” apps to receive virtual MIDI, but I can’t seem to find it now. I seem to recall it involved GarageBand. If you can find this, then there may be a super hacky way to make this work by adding a MIDI-producing AU to your Audiobus or AUM preset, and then hit play to make it send MIDI out to forScore, perhaps converting the MIDI to something friendlier to forScore using MidiFire.

And then as you noted, neither Audiobus nor AUM support loading presets via MIDI, so going the other direction is a non-starter.

One other option I explored is the ability to launch apps with special URL commands. Some apps support x-url-callback, but it appears none of the apps here support that.

• Sounds like you might want a combo of https://www.imidipatchbay.com/ and https://www.midiflow.com/. MIDI Flow should be able to create a virtual port that forScore will respect. imidipatchbay is partially designed around live sets and sending program changes, etc per song. @JohannesD (the developer) may be able to answer specific pre-purchase questions. Probably best to email him directly as I haven't seen him around these parts much lately.

• I can see that happening soon in AB3 and AUM. I think it is only a matter of time. 2018?

• @orand said:
    It appears forScore can send MIDI that can be received by other apps (tested using MIDI Scope and MidiFire), but I can’t get it to receive MIDI from other apps. Apparently it only responds to hardware MIDI in?

So far the only hardware MIDI in it sees is basically 0 from one knob. MidiFlow monitor sees 0-127. ForScore sees nothing from volume or either wheel.

• @orand said:
    It appears forScore can send MIDI that can be received by other apps (tested using MIDI Scope and MidiFire), but I can’t get it to receive MIDI from other apps. Apparently it only responds to hardware MIDI in?

So far the only hardware MIDI in it sees is basically 0 from one knob. MidiFlow monitor sees 0-127. ForScore sees nothing from volume or either wheel.

• @donblanco said:

@orand said:

Have you tried creating a virtual port in MIDIFLow? Does it see that?

• MidiFlow sees the knob. I have tried using MidiFlow to send and/or receive from OnSong and ForScore. So far, nothing seems to work. It's getting pretty close to the point where I start throwing expensive hardware through windows. I really can't imagine how anyone is using this live...

• ForScore recently added new automation capabilities. They might be useful to you.
    http://forscore.co/developers-automation/