compressor apps ios good ones?

what are some good compressor apps. outside of Cubasis, and Auria?

«1

Comments

  • I’ve been pretty happy with AUFX Push. Pretty clean and can function as an expander too. Wish it was auv3 though.

  • Rough Rider and Korvpressor are both pretty good AUv3 compressors.

  • edited February 26

    @AndyPlankton yea...Rough Rider sounds great, when I want to color the sound. I don’t have the sausage maker. Is it clean or colorful?

  • Maxima is a great, clean, easy to use automatic gain control AU. For me it takes the place of where I would normaly use a straight up compressor and end up overblowing things. It is crazy awesome for me.

  • +1 for Maxima

  • edited February 26

    Korvpressor and Maxima. I always use Korvpressor on my guitar.

    Rough Rider, while completely free, also forces you to color your track as it pleases. So I don’t use it.

  • Maxima is my fav

  • hmm Maxima i must have missed that one. i’ll have to check it out. Totally forgot i had push. thanks for reminding me. lol

  • Push is great, but if you want an AU compressor, I don’t think DDMF NYCompressor can be beat. I wonder why no one ever suggests it? It’s the only compressor with full control and no coloring.

  • @DCJ said:
    Push is great, but if you want an AU compressor, I don’t think DDMF NYCompressor can be beat. I wonder why no one ever suggests it? It’s the only compressor with full control and no coloring.

    cool, is it universal? i’m looking to use it in iphone as well

  • @eross said:

    @DCJ said:
    Push is great, but if you want an AU compressor, I don’t think DDMF NYCompressor can be beat. I wonder why no one ever suggests it? It’s the only compressor with full control and no coloring.

    cool, is it universal? i’m looking to use it in iphone as well

    Info on the App Store says yes. 9.3 or later and IPhone, IPad and IPod touch.

  • @eross said:
    what are some good compressor apps. outside of Cubasis, and Auria?

    DDMF.

    ALL OF UM

  • So thinking DDMF or MAxima? which is better. I am looking to not color the sound. a little is ok, but not like rough rider does.

  • @eross said:
    So thinking DDMF or MAxima? which is better. I am looking to not color the sound. a little is ok, but not like rough rider does.

    Killing me

    Maxima is the best Compressor ever released for IOS

    BUT I USE THE DD EQ with it!

    The directional EQ is amazing as well

  • @RUST( i )K said:

    @eross said:
    So thinking DDMF or MAxima? which is better. I am looking to not color the sound. a little is ok, but not like rough rider does.

    Killing me

    Maxima is the best Compressor ever released for IOS

    BUT I USE THE DD EQ with it!

    The directional EQ is amazing as well

    Yeah, i’m kind leaning that way. it’s looks pretty great

  • @DCJ said:
    Push is great, but if you want an AU compressor, I don’t think DDMF NYCompressor can be beat. I wonder why no one ever suggests it? It’s the only compressor with full control and no coloring.

    Yup. It’s great.

  • edited February 27

    DDMF apps have been nothing short of magic for my mixes!

    (Shout out to NoLimits in particular!)

  • @eross said:

    @RUST( i )K said:

    @eross said:
    So thinking DDMF or MAxima? which is better. I am looking to not color the sound. a little is ok, but not like rough rider does.

    Killing me

    Maxima is the best Compressor ever released for IOS

    BUT I USE THE DD EQ with it!

    The directional EQ is amazing as well

    Yeah, i’m kind leaning that way. it’s looks pretty great

    :)

    Just saying: there is a promo code contest on iPad Musician group (facebook) since yesterday and will end soon :)

  • No Facebook bummer gonna miss out again :(

    @FredAntonCorvest said:

    @eross said:

    @RUST( i )K said:

    @eross said:
    So thinking DDMF or MAxima? which is better. I am looking to not color the sound. a little is ok, but not like rough rider does.

    Killing me

    Maxima is the best Compressor ever released for IOS

    BUT I USE THE DD EQ with it!

    The directional EQ is amazing as well

    Yeah, i’m kind leaning that way. it’s looks pretty great

    :)

    Just saying: there is a promo code contest on iPad Musician group (facebook) since yesterday and will end soon :)

  • loving Maxima thanks for recommending guys!

  • @MusicMan4Christ :( I've already offered a bunch of promo code here (I mean audiobus forum) but indeed I mainly share on social media or via music press actors... For example, SynthAnatomy shared few FAC Chorus promo codes to his patreon lately.

    @eross Very glad to read that! If you enjoy Fac Maxima please consider rating and review it :)

  • Definitely on my wish list! :D :) <3 <3

    @FredAntonCorvest said:
    @MusicMan4Christ :( I've already offered a bunch of promo code here (I mean audiobus forum) but indeed I mainly share on social media or via music press actors... For example, SynthAnatomy shared few FAC Chorus promo codes to his patreon lately.

    @eross Very glad to read that! If you enjoy Fac Maxima please consider rating and review it :)

  • Playing around with Grand Finale, i found this topic.

    Maxima is both compressor and limiter, and works as maximizer / leveler. It compresses nearly everything to it´s maximum and also makes sure that nothing clips.
    I tend to put it into my "mix / master" folder instead of "compressor / limiter".

    But then, i rediscovered "Bark Filter" from VirSyn.

    It´s labeled as Critical Band Analyzer / Filter / Compressor and indeed, it is an multiband compressor, up to 27 bands!

    Beside this, it has an "Limiter" button.

    I did not compare to other Compressors so far, but it´s seems to be very impressive!
    Finding this, I am not sure that I still need PressIt.
    It looks like some FabFilter stuff too ;)

    Anybody used and compared it already?

  • Rough rider - good simple and free
    Ddmfs compressor - real good but requires a bit of cpu
    Barkfilter - really complex(too complex for my taste) and lets you tweak the sound more than you would want, meaning that there are millions of knobs and settings all over the app you dont likely need and are just there to crowd the UI
    Maxima - great more maximizer type of compressor
    Pressit - has 3 bands, but is still very simple compared to bark filter. Nice compromise between high tweakability and simplicity

    There are other apps that compress, which may not be compressors really. For example daw casettes one setting compresses the sound quite a bit in nice and unique way, giving that lofi casette sound as well. Also i think the multi fx app from virsyn has compressor as well, so if its compressor does what you want from compressor and you prefer one app/plugin with multiple fxs, it might be more your thing.

  • @ToMess Bark Filter, by default, has exactly one band and one simple set of controls!
    Nothing complicated in this.

    And you can then, very, very easily make it a 2, 3 or 4 band compressor, as you see fit.
    Whatever number of bands you need, up to 27.
    This 27 is just there, because it is a usefull partitioning of frequencies!

    And, this thing can also work as 27 band equalizer, where you need and want many bands!

  • if only we had an AUv3 host that supported AUv3's with multiple inputs.... then we might get a sidechaining solution.....

  • @eross said:
    what are some good compressor apps. outside of Cubasis, and Auria?

    What are are you compressing, and why?

    While compression is a wonderful tool for live instruments, and vocals especially, one of the cornerstones of mixing, it plays a different role in electronic music, because the volumes of notes are so much more predictable and consistent. The conventional use of compression, on a per track level, is to prevent surprising jumps in volume from a source. With electronics, unless something is wacky with them, the levels coming out are much more consistent, and don't need this kind of control, to sit in a mix.

    Not that compression should be avoided in electronic music, but if your levels are consistent, the goals are different, and more nebulous, from conventional volume control- usually people are trying to sweeten the sound, with "character" compressors, that partially behave like a preamp, and add eq and saturation side effects; or to use it as a sound effect to achieve a sense of movement, or percieved loudness. It is a different goal, so it might take a different tool, and definitely different settings, away from conventional level control.

    A lot of times these alterations in sound could happen in a more transparent and predictable way with automation, or altering the envelopes of the synth or drum machine patch, or midi velocity of the sequencing- a luxury recordings of live instruments and vocal don't have.

    Bus compression is a different story, you're back in the conventional use of compression, to control volume on a mix of instruments, in a pleasing way.

  • Interesting read, @Processaurus
    Thanks

  • edited May 1

    @Processaurus spot on :+1:
    to add to the content between the lines: compression ALWAYS comes with a price: distortion and less clear tone (by uneven harmonics)

    That's why apps like Maxima aren't compressors even though the result may be very similiar. Peaks are treated in a special way to avoid such distortions.
    (which means they are fairly useless if the signal doesn't contain peaks anymore)

    'Character compression' (as mentioned) is the other way around:
    You accept all non-linearities because they are the source of a specific sound you're after.
    This works best with prominent parts of the mix (often lead vocals, single drum elements, a special bass, something that stands out). Otherwise your mix ends in mud.

  • Adding to what @Telefunky and @Processaurus said, what would be nice and us definitely missing on iOS is something like Waves Vocal Rider.

Sign In or Register to comment.