Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to use Gadget with BM3

I love the sounds and “get going with the quickness” feel of Gadget for making beats however I love where BM3 is going and want to transition to making it my main daw.

How are you guys using Gadget and BM3 together?

Gadget is a CPU/Batt drain even on my iPad Pro 12.9. I cant keep it charged if using a midi controller even with powered usb hub!

Creating full loops in Gadget than exporting the audio is my current default but don’t like this workflow. I also sample synth sounds from Gadget in Bm3 but you obviously loose a lot of expression and ability to shape sound this way.

Goal is simplicity. A perfect world would be Gagdet AU but I’m positive that isn’t in their plans.

Comments

• When I do export from Gadget I do it as an Ableton project to dropbox (because it does all tracks at once as seperate files) and then import the samples to BM3. It is nice and quick for me. Would be good if the Ableton project export would allow for Audioshare as a destination. Or if the standard audioshare export just supported .zip.

• edited February 2018

@AudioGus said:
    When I do export from Gadget I do it as an Ableton project to dropbox (because it does all tracks at once as seperate files) and then import the samples to BM3. It is nice and quick for me. Would be good if the Ableton project export would allow for Audioshare as a destination. Or if the standard audioshare export just supported .zip.

Doh. Never mind. It’s Dropbox.

• @AudioGus said:
    When I do export from Gadget I do it as an Ableton project to dropbox (because it does all tracks at once as seperate files) and then import the samples to BM3.

Ahhhh. Nice tip. Never exported as Ableton project.

• @AudioGus said:
    When I do export from Gadget I do it as an Ableton project to dropbox (because it does all tracks at once as seperate files) and then import the samples to BM3. It is nice and quick for me. Would be good if the Ableton project export would allow for Audioshare as a destination. Or if the standard audioshare export just supported .zip.

Never pressed that button. Thanks for the nudge.

• @echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Doh. Never mind. It’s Dropbox.

I know... 8( They should at least let you use local storage without an internet connection. So annoying.

• I’ve been opening gadget inside of bm3 and recording the solo’d tracks as audio tracks inside of bm3

• @AudioGus said:

They should at least let you use local storage without an internet connection. So annoying.

Big facts. +100 local storage.

@skulptur_sound said:
    I’ve been opening gadget inside of bm3 and recording the solo’d tracks as audio tracks inside of bm3

Assuming you use iAA in Bm3 to open Gadget than assign each gadget to a seperate channel in Bm3?

• Why would you not just use the piano roll in Gadget?

I am probably silly for not getting this but, I am a little confused.

• edited February 2018

*edit

Am also having no success getting BM3 set up for separate pad/key banks to control separate gadgets. That would at least allow me to stay creatively focused in BM3. Could have another track record gadget output.

• edited February 2018

@RUST( i )K Just saw your comment in the “does anyone use Amsterdam” post. I fully agree with Gadget making me feel like a “sugar daddy” which is why I’m transitioning to Bm3 entirely.

Gadget has become a money pit that isn’t being rewarded with much innovation or compromise. They develop new sounds and features way too slow not to have AU/iAA but I’m positive they won’t cannabilize their own ecosystem by adding it so no change will happen.

With heavy fingers, I have to be the change.

• I don’t control gadget via bm3. What I do is open gadget as Iaa in a bm3 pad. What ever song I’m working on in gadget I do in gadget, all I do is set bm3 tempo to the same as gadget and record gadgets parts as audio tracks into bm3....I think if you wanna control gadget via bm3 u need to mess with the midi settings, not quite sure, just use gadgets sequencer and record your audio into bm3 audio track select the input as internal and the pad gadget is on..

• @skulptur_sound said:
    I don’t control gadget via bm3. What I do is open gadget as Iaa in a bm3 pad. What ever song I’m working on in gadget I do in gadget, all I do is set bm3 tempo to the same as gadget and record gadgets parts as audio tracks into bm3....I think if you wanna control gadget via bm3 u need to mess with the midi settings, not quite sure, just use gadgets sequencer and record your audio into bm3 audio track select the input as internal and the pad gadget is on..

Nice detailed description of your workflow. B) I think this is what @RUST( i )K was inquiring about earlier. :)

@RUST( i )K said:
    Why would you not just use the piano roll in Gadget?

I am probably silly for not getting this but, I am a little confused.

• Thanks @skulptur_sound. Your flow is very close to my Initial process until running into a few iAA issues...

as the audio unit lists grows, so goes my frustration with Gadget limitations.

However, a renewed interest boost just came in the form of a new custom 8 scene set for Nanokey Studio from @LucidMusicInc so I’ll continue exploring ways to push it.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Thanks @skulptur_sound. Your flow is very close to my Initial process until running into a few iAA issues...

However, a renewed interest boost just came in the form of a new custom 8 scene set for Nanokey Studio from @LucidMusicInc so I’ll continue exploring ways to push it.

Ima have to program my nanokey studio with the scene switch up like a saw someone do a download for, i would just download the thing but I wouldn’t learn anything that way, lol...I was planning on doing it anyway, but last time I was in the editor software I decided not to dive too deep the first time, I’m pretty good with that stuff though from the livid brainv2 programming I did when I built my own controller,. I’m loving the nanokey studio and it too sparked my interests in gadget again, the eq in bm3 is way more my cup of tea then gadgets.. hahahha

• edited March 2018

@skulptur_sound said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Thanks @skulptur_sound. Your flow is very close to my Initial process until running into a few iAA issues...

Ima have to program my nanokey studio with the scene switch up like a saw someone do a download for, i would just download the thing but I wouldn’t learn anything that way, lol...I was planning on doing it anyway, but last time I was in the editor software I decided not to dive too deep the first time, I’m pretty good with that stuff though from the livid brainv2 programming I did when I built my own controller,. I’m loving the nanokey studio and it too sparked my interests in gadget again, the eq in bm3 is way more my cup of tea then gadgets.. hahahha

It wasn't very difficult, just required some planning.

@WillieNegus I'm doing a complete rewrite, basically restoring everything to factory settings for compatibility (the Damper set at 64 for example) but tweaked for performance (the pads and keys less velocity sensitive.) Also each scene will have its own unique midi channel. I'll also be putting out three versions, one with 64 pads assigned to notes, one with 56 pads assigned to notes and 8 assigned to CCs and one with 48 pads assigned to notes and 16 assigned to CCs. I'm also adjusting the CC pads not to go above 110, meaning if they are used as pad mutes they won't jack up to full volume.

How does that sound?

• @LucidMusicInc said:

How does that sound?

Intense, Tedious, Amazing?

No seriously. Sounds like version. 2.0 thru 5.0. Allow me to sugguest you break it up into seperate updates with testing for each major change, etc. Like now, there’s bound to be some further adjustments after while. I’ll gladly help you test. I’ve been jotting down “feature” requests and issues with the first version too, ironically you covered them all and then some! Excellent work.

• edited March 2018

@skulptur_sound said:

Ima have to program my nanokey studio with the scene switch up like a saw someone do a download for, i would just download the thing but I wouldn’t learn anything that way, lol...

I can dig it. Looking at @LucidMusicInc scene set actually made it click for me and feel like instantly understood midi.lol reprogrammed my Quneo to control everything with 16 pads in Gadget to support my NKS. They’re both wireless and tiny enough to fit in the small front pocket of my iPad Pro Case. Only thing that’s killing me is not being able to map the transport buttons. Gadget “learns” them fine. I see the CC# saved but it doesn’t work. Yet. Mapping them both for BM3 will follow Gadget.

@skulptur_sound said:

I’m loving the nanokey studio and it too sparked my interests in gadget again, the eq in bm3 is way more my cup of tea then gadgets.. hahahha”

Big facts. There are several things more my cup of tea in BM3. However, Gadget was sorta like a whole new different cup i found behind the fridge.lol. Idk. I can just get going so fast with it. BM3 is taking longer to really master but I must. I love where Intua is taking it and Korg Gadget Support SUUUUCKS baboon ass. Plus, they are missing a robust community of collaborators like this forum accomplished and Intua is attempting over @intua.net

Just glad to have met two more folk as inspired by NKS and Gadget. Hopefully, more with midi and workaround skills join in. Can only help make it even better for all of us.

Funny, many hate the keys on NKS and ditched it long ago. I’ll admit off first touch it almost got returned. Glad I hung in there. Sooooo glad. People are missing out.

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

How does that sound?

Intense, Tedious, Amazing?

No seriously. Sounds like version. 2.0 thru 5.0. Allow me to sugguest you break it up into seperate updates with testing for each major change, etc. Like now, there’s bound to be some further adjustments after while. I’ll gladly help you test. I’ve been jotting down “feature” requests and issues with the first version too, ironically you covered them all and then some! Excellent work.

I can have it out later today!

• edited March 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

I can have it out later today!

Well shit! Have at it my man.lol. Can’t wait to check it out. Always have the other set saved to return too. It’s 84° on Mia beach today and guess who’ll have his IPad Pro and NKS packed in with his Pax 3?

Hell, Im setting notifications for this and our other post with the scene sets so I know when you comment that you’ve Finished!lmao

• edited March 2018

Smooth. Make sure you post the scene file in your other discussion to ensure future NKS users find it?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24847/korg-nanokey-studio-custom-scene-setup/p2

• edited March 2018

@WillieNegus said:
    Smooth. Make sure you post the scene file in your other discussion to ensure future NKS users find it?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24847/korg-nanokey-studio-custom-scene-setup/p2

Duh. Of course you’d post it in your OP. Got confused for a sec. Been dying to optimize NKS so long I thought I created that discussion too.lol. Literally created this OP while frustrated with Gadget workflow and you posted the NKs scene set 2 days later. Talk about right on time. Inspired me to map out a plan for using it with BM3 after Gadget mapping’s all ironed out.

• @WillieNegus said:

@WillieNegus said:

Duh. Of course you’d post it in your OP. Got confused for a sec. Been dying to optimize NKS so long I thought I created that discussion too.lol. Literally created this OP while frustrated with Gadget workflow and you posted the NKs scene set 2 days later. Talk about right on time. Inspired me to map out a plan for using it with BM3 after Gadget mapping’s all ironed out.

Yeah I know I know B)

• edited March 2018

@LucidMusicInc ....Any ideas on why Gadget transport controls aren’t responding to the CC it mapped to my Quneo? It assigned 79-82. In the Qeditor I have toggle on for the play, record and loop button. Note for stop. Nothing.

I see that those CCs (79-82) were assigned to other parameters in individual gadgets. Is that the culprit? If so, what would you rec I set the CCs to in Quneo editor for the transport buttons I want to map of in fact it’s the conflict causing the issue?

Ultimately want to use NKS for keys, pads to mute, maybe mixers mapped to knobs scene set if possible and be able to use Quneo for transport, 16 pad gadgets, parameters covered by all of Quneo sliders and rotaries. I’d have complete control.

• @WillieNegus said:
    @LucidMusicInc ....Any ideas on why Gadget transport controls aren’t responding to the CC it mapped to my Quneo? It assigned 79-82. In the Qeditor I have toggle on for the play, record and loop button. Note for stop. Nothing.

I see that those CCs (79-82) were assigned to other parameters in individual gadgets. Is that the culprit? If so, what would you rec I set the CCs to in Quneo editor for the transport buttons I want to map of in fact it’s the conflict causing the issue?

Ultimately want to use NKS for keys, pads to mute, maybe mixers mapped to knobs scene set if possible and be able to use Quneo for transport, 16 pad gadgets, parameters covered by all of Quneo sliders and rotaries. I’d have complete control.

I don't know about multiple setups. You could use the kaos pad for transport however. Try mapping play stop to the pitch mod for example.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@WillieNegus said:

I don't know about multiple setups. You could use the kaos pad for transport however. Try mapping play stop to the pitch mod for example.

At the moment mixers aren't midi assignable.

• edited March 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

You could use the kaos pad for transport however. Try mapping play stop to the pitch mod for example.

NKS for the win? Ah yes. Let’s get back to not needing Quneo. Have you done this or just blowing smoke up my Gadget? Pause.lol

Gotcha. Curious as to how they get Kontrol Studio to control em but I obviously know nothing about midi so there may be a different protocol used or something. Quneo would make a bad ass Kontrol Studio emulator for Gadget. Clip launching using Abu/Bilbao and a host of other dj efx like parameter changes with NKS for live melody, rhythm. Can do these chaining apps together but it would open up a lot in Gadget. One day.

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

You could use the kaos pad for transport however. Try mapping play stop to the pitch mod for example.

NKS for the win? Ah yes. Let’s get back to not needing Quneo. Have you done this or just blowing smoke up my Gadget? Pause.lol

Gotcha. Curious as to how they get Kontrol Studio to control em but I obviously know nothing about midi so there may be a different protocol used or something. Quneo would make a bad ass Kontrol Studio emulator for Gadget. Clip launching using Abu/Bilbao and a host of other dj efx with NKS for live melody, rhythm. Can do these chaining apps together but it would open up a lot in Gadget. One day.

Actually the mapping for Kontrol is in the control editor. Might be worth a look.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Actually the mapping for Kontrol is in the control editor. Might be worth a look.

Definitely. Also see what you mean about the X,Y. Could have been two transports. Sweet spot for triggering #10 isn’t consistent at all.

• @WillieNegus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Definitely. Also see what you mean about the X,Y. Could have been two transports. Sweet spot for triggering #10 isn’t consistent at all.

The xy pad is really only good for one cc, but you've got 8 instances of them and you can toggle between xy and pitch mod.