Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

With so many apps, is Kaossilator redundant?

2»

Comments

• @greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:
    Anybody know if iKaossilator runs well on Android? My kid is gonna ask for it soon, I know that for sure. I think it should be fine, but it is a lot of money to gamble on smooth functionality.
    Probably not many have tried the Android version around here, but maybe you know someone or heard something?

How can anyone know? What Android version? The latest one? What device? A tablet or phone? My last android device was an Asus Zenphone and according to the specs it was 100s of times better than my older Samsung tablet. The newer phone has worse lag than the older tablet at which point I gave up that platform for good. (Nothing significant has changed in the musical app selection there anyway since.)

Samsung optimized it's stuff for having less input lag. This resulted in Samsung devices working much smoother than all other Android devices, except the Google devices (Nexus Series and now Pixel series) . But input lag is becoming worse and worse again on Android especially with it;s latest version Oreo (Android 8) it seems a disaster. If you do music on touch devices avoid Android. I really say this with pain because Android devices are so much cheaper and can ex and import stuff so much easier and have most of the time sd cart slots for easy expandable memory :(

I have an LG phone running Android 6. It runs audio stuff pretty well. Caustic, Oscilab, and Beatonal are the apps that I use the most. And a bunch of Android only noise and generative apps that aren’t on iOS.
    I am pretty sure the iKaosillator will work, but was just asking around before I buy it. Google has worse refund policies than Apple I think. I will wait for it to be $10 again too.

• @CracklePot said:

@greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:
    Anybody know if iKaossilator runs well on Android? My kid is gonna ask for it soon, I know that for sure. I think it should be fine, but it is a lot of money to gamble on smooth functionality.
    Probably not many have tried the Android version around here, but maybe you know someone or heard something?

How can anyone know? What Android version? The latest one? What device? A tablet or phone? My last android device was an Asus Zenphone and according to the specs it was 100s of times better than my older Samsung tablet. The newer phone has worse lag than the older tablet at which point I gave up that platform for good. (Nothing significant has changed in the musical app selection there anyway since.)

Samsung optimized it's stuff for having less input lag. This resulted in Samsung devices working much smoother than all other Android devices, except the Google devices (Nexus Series and now Pixel series) . But input lag is becoming worse and worse again on Android especially with it;s latest version Oreo (Android 8) it seems a disaster. If you do music on touch devices avoid Android. I really say this with pain because Android devices are so much cheaper and can ex and import stuff so much easier and have most of the time sd cart slots for easy expandable memory :(

I have an LG phone running Android 6. It runs audio stuff pretty well. Caustic, Oscilab, and Beatonal are the apps that I use the most. And a bunch of Android only noise and generative apps that aren’t on iOS.
    I am pretty sure the iKaosillator will work, but was just asking around before I buy it. Google has worse refund policies than Apple I think. I will wait for it to be $10 again too.

Probably you're not yet on Android 8.0

Check out this test
    http://superpowered.com/android-audio-latency-problem-just-got-worse

• I'll add that my Asus laptop is Laggy AF too. PSA avoid Asus products.

• @greengrocer said:

@CracklePot said:

@greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:

Probably you're not yet on Android 8.0

Check out this test
    http://superpowered.com/android-audio-latency-problem-just-got-worse

Yeah I’m stuck on 6. Guess I will have to avoid getting a new phone running 8 later on.
    I remember those Superpowered had this latency thing solved a few years ago, but I guess their methods weren’t adopted by many devs or something. Seems really lame at this stage to be still dealing with latency.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:

I’m not asking if it they know if it will run on my specific phone, or any specific phone other than their own. Just a general inquiry. I see you hate Android. Thanks. B)

• @DYMS said:

@papastank said:
    I own a KP3+, but beyond using it a a final delay/reverb, I’m yet to really make use of it in my setup. To really make use of it, I would need two of them. I’m sure if I put time into finding a workaround, I could find one.

I have the KP3+ as well, and feel I might have gotten the wrong one. I find that the sample record function is too limitted because of the non-looping nature of it. I think the looping record that the Kaossilator is what I am missing. I am sure Korg is aware of this, and made these two devices different for people just like me!

Sampling on the KP3 requires extremely precise timing and the short phrases mean you would probably want a few of them in order to get a basic song idea to work.

• I would say it’s only redundant if you were using it but you are now making good music with something else instead. Even for dabbling over a pattern from somewhere else. It’s the sauce on my chips.

• Get a Korg Nanopad or Nanopad 2 - these both have hardware touchpad that works with arps and scales just like the korg inspired (Electribe) one in groove rider, that can be used with any app that will receive midi notes.

• edited February 2018

@CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@CracklePot said:

I’m not asking if it they know if it will run on my specific phone, or any specific phone other than their own. Just a general inquiry. I see you hate Android. Thanks. B)

In theory there's nothing wrong with Android. It's the ubiquitous OS of mobile computing devices. More specifically I hate the hardware companies like Asus and all the other cheap brands that lure you in and then leave you high and dry with some unsupported model and sketchy driver updates.

• nothing like ikaossilator so not redundant

• ikaossilator works fine on Android...its funny how Android is still being dismissed as a viable platform. It's not on iOS level but it works.

• ikaossilator works fine on Android...its funny how Android is still being dismissed as a viable platform. It's not on iOS level but it works.

• @Hex047 said:
    ikaossilator works fine on Android...its funny how Android is still being dismissed as a viable platform. It's not on iOS level but it works.

Awesome. Just looking for some confirmation. Had a feeling it would be fine. Thank you.

• @Hex047 said:
    ikaossilator works fine on Android...its funny how Android is still being dismissed as a viable platform. It's not on iOS level but it works.

Awesome. Just looking for some confirmation. Had a feeling it would be fine. Thank you. :)

• edited February 2018

Yeah > @kobamoto said:

nothing like ikaossilator so not redundant

FUCKIN A RIGHT!

(I would say Groove Rider is the most similar alternative iOS though)

• @db909 said:
    Yeah > @kobamoto said:

nothing like ikaossilator so not redundant

FUCKIN A RIGHT!

(I would say Groove Rider is the most similar alternative iOS though)

Damn Skippy!!

• does korg just not like money or what, ikaossilator is a cash cow update just waiting to happen

• I owned a Kaossilator Pro because I thought it would be awesome...but couldn't get anything decent out of it other than some ad hoc beats. Sold it, disappointed. Owned a KP-3 too which was useful, but who needs it with all the excellent options on the iPad? Sold it. Got iKaossilator early on in my app adventures and it is AMAZING. Have created more full songs in that app than any other, including Gadget. Wish it had more sounds, wish KORG would roll it into Gadget, but it's still so much fun! Thinking I'd figured out the system, I bought a Kaossilator Pro+ again and...still couldn't do a damn thing with it. Sold it again, disappointed. However, iKaossilator remains irreplaceable for me.

• @kobamoto said:
    does korg just not like money or what, ikaossilator is a cash cow update just waiting to happen

I agree , with some added sound banks and full iPad support with landscape mode will be nice.

• @oddSTAR said:
    I owned a Kaossilator Pro because I thought it would be awesome...but couldn't get anything decent out of it other than some ad hoc beats. Sold it, disappointed. Owned a KP-3 too which was useful, but who needs it with all the excellent options on the iPad? Sold it. Got iKaossilator early on in my app adventures and it is AMAZING. Have created more full songs in that app than any other, including Gadget. Wish it had more sounds, wish KORG would roll it into Gadget, but it's still so much fun! Thinking I'd figured out the system, I bought a Kaossilator Pro+ again and...still couldn't do a damn thing with it. Sold it again, disappointed. However, iKaossilator remains irreplaceable for me.

Hell yeah

• @CracklePot said:

@Hex047 said:

Awesome. Just looking for some confirmation. Had a feeling it would be fine. Thank you. :)

only issue with Android is some devices still have noticeable latency, but most Android 5 devices are perfectly usable.

• @CracklePot said:

@Hex047 said:

only issue with Android is some devices still have noticeable latency, but most Android 5 devices are perfectly usable.

• edited February 2018

I got myself the Kaossilator Pro+ For Xmas 2015. I have had the Kaoss Pad 3 for quite some time so it made sense to pair them.

I initially loved it, I had some super fun jams with the pair. However, it gave me the gear bug. From there I went full on Korg, dressing myself with a trio of Volcas, the Minilogue, Nano studio controllers, Korg Gadget etc!

So now I find myself In a different headspace to when I first got the Kaossilator. Now I spend more time learning how various hardware and software instruments and tools work than I do making music it self. This is partly the fault of living with a guy who around the time I got the Kaossilator had just started buying eurorack! Where as at the time I was like “make some some actual music ya dingus!” Over the year and the case filling I couldnt help being interested and it reached a head when he and I went to last years Superbooth!

I have barely touched the Kaossilator lately. The KP3 gets a lot more usage. Why? Because its a preset machine, there is no way to tweek my own sounds other than to process it through the KP3. The reason I wasn’t satisfied initially was you ended up sounding more like the than yourself.

But I wouldnt want to part with the Kaossilator because it is so inspiring and immediate.

I put it in the same bracket as the Ableton Push 2 which I have barely touched since I got it a year ago, but this is because now I have too much gear and no static place to have it. My studio is constantly modular, I set up on the dining table and have to pack up before dinner etc.

Im dying to move house and build a studio space that is big enough to leave the Push and Kaossilator out permanently that I can harness in the moment, mostly to build on ideas Ive sketched on my phone/iPad. I have no intention of getting rid of either. My MicroKORG original however, is available at the right price.

The big thing I discovered lately about the Kaossilator that makes me want to whip it out is that its scale and key select functions work in a MIDI controller context!

• edited February 2018

@Calverhall Thanks for the insights. Sounds like you need a bigger space to lay everything out :) I am keeping well away from modular, dont think I’d make it out alive!

Appreciate you sharing your experience.

• I don’t think that the hardware versions of Kaossilator can quantise in the same way as iKaossilator does.