Samplist is live on the App Store

Comments

• man i hope some day you make this a universal app. I would love to have this on my phone. very cool app

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

Ok let me troll this thread with some updates:

• The audio engine of the slice player has been successfully rewritten last night. I've added back .CAF files, so you can Airdrop your Logic Loops into Samplist (that's what I do anyways). I'll add support to Airdrop whole zip files also.
    • I've made the selection areas better. You move it by dragging the left handle, you resize it by moving the right handle. So you can scroll/zoom the waveform even if you grab one of the slices.
    • I've started working on implementing Apple's Sampler into Samplist. So you'll be able to play poly notes like RomPlayer ;) I still need to do some work on ADSR stuff
    • I've added pad pages. You can add max 64 slices over 4 pages. More is overkill and it kind of trashes your CPU. I'd recommend max 16 slices. I mean... how many fingers do you guys have to play drums? :))

How about an auto slice feature? By division (2/4/8/16...) and by note length, (16/8/4/2/1...) a la BM3?

You can already slice by division. Tools > Split sample. I'll probably rename the option. By grid is not possible atm, since I don't do tempo detection.

• @alecsbuga said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

• The audio engine of the slice player has been successfully rewritten last night. I've added back .CAF files, so you can Airdrop your Logic Loops into Samplist (that's what I do anyways). I'll add support to Airdrop whole zip files also.
    • I've made the selection areas better. You move it by dragging the left handle, you resize it by moving the right handle. So you can scroll/zoom the waveform even if you grab one of the slices.
    • I've started working on implementing Apple's Sampler into Samplist. So you'll be able to play poly notes like RomPlayer ;) I still need to do some work on ADSR stuff
    • I've added pad pages. You can add max 64 slices over 4 pages. More is overkill and it kind of trashes your CPU. I'd recommend max 16 slices. I mean... how many fingers do you guys have to play drums? :))

How about an auto slice feature? By division (2/4/8/16...) and by note length, (16/8/4/2/1...) a la BM3?

You can already slice by division. Tools > Split sample. I'll probably rename the option. By grid is not possible atm, since I don't do tempo detection.

Cool! Maybe you could let the user input the tempo manually. I'm looking forward to getting this!

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

Cool! Maybe you could let the user input the tempo manually. I'm looking forward to getting this!

Yeah, I thought of that. But I don't know yet how to save the info in the wav file itself.

Well, assuming you have a fixed bar loop, you can split in regions and you basically have your 4ths, 16ths, etc..

• @alecsbuga said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@alecsbuga said:

Yeah, I thought of that. But I don't know yet how to save the info in the wav file itself.

Well, assuming you have a fixed bar loop, you can split in regions and you basically have your 4ths, 16ths, etc..

Good point. Trim the loop and then split it. Done!

• maybe i’m missing this , but can you change the playback speed for each slice? that would be cool

• also an idea for future update. sample layering with each layer having its own adar. then you could hit a pad, and have one sample start playing and fade into another sample.

• @eross said:
    maybe i’m missing this , but can you change the playback speed for each slice? that would be cool

Good idea. And if we're talking about even more depth. Ableton LINK support would be also great :)

• After I'll release the Poly mode, I'll focus on sampler bread & butter. Filter ADSR, LFO, reverse & all that.

and in a future version I'm planning a sequencer which should be able to play with Link. But I don't promise anything atm because I haven't read the Link documentation yet.

• Shit, this has become major fun. I'm gonna take a break from coding :))
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/fG1ZKcYrX5qLXL9i1

• @alecsbuga Ok, but please hit the submit button first.

• Strangerlist !

• This time I'm not gonna rush it. I want to be cool and useful

• @alecsbuga said:

Another day, another slew of love and improvements :) big thanks!

• Cool! Maybe you could let the user input the tempo manually. I'm looking forward to getting this!

Can be done if you add support for reading/writing Acid tags. Was going to suggest recognition of slices already in Acidized wav files

• @aaronpc said:
    @alecsbuga Ok, but please hit the submit button first.

hilarious

• Ok so it took me a while but I'm quite happy with what I've got so far. Hopefully I'll push the update tonight to the App Store.
    Samplist now plays like butter.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Ok so it took me a while but I'm quite happy with what I've got so far. Hopefully I'll push the update tonight to the App Store.
    Samplist now plays like butter.

B) Thanks!

• edited March 2018

@alecsbuga said:
    Boo yah! CHORDS
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TBeTscgc7KWPHUFf2

@alecsbuga said:
    Shit, this has become major fun. I'm gonna take a break from coding :))
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/fG1ZKcYrX5qLXL9i1

I bought the app before seeing those videos, and now even more wowed. Congrats on your first iOS music app! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

...is it “tonight” yet where you are from?? :wink:

• I'm done with the keyboard.
    I've disabled the pitch shifter for now because it's too intensive on the CPU and it has lag so it's useless.
    I've added a bonus feature which I'm not talking about. I'll let it be a surprise.

I need to brush up the design of the bonus feature when I get home and submit it.

Hint: chipmunks :D

• @alecsbuga said:
    I'm done with the keyboard.
    I've disabled the pitch shifter for now because it's too intensive on the CPU and it has lag so it's useless.
    I've added a bonus feature which I'm not talking about. I'll let it be a surprise.

I need to brush up the design of the bonus feature when I get home and submit it.

Hint: chipmunks :D

We're on the sidelines cheering you on Mister....

• Samplist 1.2.7 is waiting for review.
    Wow. It's been a hectic week guys. I really appreciate your feedback. And although I haven't replied to everyone, I read all of it and took notice of your ideas.

Once again thank you for your support and understanding, and please please please I would really appreciate it if you can give a rating / review on the App Store. It really helps a lot small indie developers.

That being said, I'll leave you to a preview of the new Samplist.

• Nice little teaser for the uninitiated there...come a long way in a week :) Just think where we'll all be by the Summer!

• Probably on a beach somewhere :))

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Just think where we'll all be by the Summer!

Aberystwyth?

• is samplist coming to iphone ?

• @enc said:
    is samplist coming to iphone ?

It won't be difficult to design a separate UI, but at the moment I'm working on stabilizing what Samplist is and what it does.

But it sure will!

• edited March 2018

If you like it, leave a review!

In US AppStore, there were six reviews. My 5 star review bumped it up to a solid 4 star app.

The two 1 star reviews were left by people who couldn’t figure out Audiobus/ IAA. that is ruining the average.

To their credit, it is not clear in the App Store description that this sampler app does not sample... by that I mean there is no way to directly record a sample into it, not by mic and not by AB or IAA. I know this feature is coming, because I’ve read thru 9 pages of this thread on this forum. And I know how to manage file importing in the meantime. The average AppStore visitor might not know all this, which is I think the reason for the 1 star reviews.

• Well there was just this 1 guy. The other were well deserved. The app crashed like hell on iOS 10.
    But yeah, some honest reviews would be great! :)
    I've updated the description also because now IT IS RECORDING :) That was the bonus feature.
    I couldn't write the description like this: "This app doesn't sample" :)) It was like shooting my leg.