Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

watching movies on ipad

encenc
edited November 2013 in General App Discussion

I've been asked the question Is it possible to watch say avi movies from a dongle connected via camera connection kit ?
Not something I've tried or even considered before.

Just wondering if it's possible or if there is a work around ?

Comments

• Another alternative is to use the device in the link below. It uses an adhoc wifi network. Movies and music work well with it, plus I use it to store samples, which I can grab with Goodreader, to use in music apps.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iUSBport/

• edited November 2013

Don't know about playing movies via the 30pin/lightning port. But basically any networked drive lets you stream and/or download movies and files to your iDevice (no need for anything claiming to be "made for iOS" or similar). Personally I have a 2TB MyBookLive which works great with most things, iOS included. It does the usual protocols (FTP, SMB, NFS etc) so any app with network support can reach files from it.

For movies I use the app "It's Playing". It's 3-4 bucks on the AppStore. Got full Dolby license support (ac3, DTS etc), so plays back most audio/movie/sub formats and containers just fine. It can either stream movies from your wifi network, or download them to your device. iTunes link https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/its-playing/id442839861?mt=8 . There are others with Dolby support and network support, but "it's playing" is definitely one of the better ones

• Don't know if it is possible, but for the second part of your question, I use Plex as a workaround. Plex Cloud, with my files stored on Dropbox, which I also look at from my local Plex server. This means I can always watch my movies/series. When I'm out and about, say for a long car trip, I turn my laptop with Plex server into a Wi-Fi hotspot, with a 12V car connector for power, so the kids can connect their ipads to it.

When I'm at friends we can watch my movies/series from Plex Cloud.

It should probably be added that I'm in Sweden and so I have a 1 GB connection at home, and I work for the largest telecom in Scandinavia so mobile usage isn't a huge problem for me.

• edited October 2017

For sure you could watch movies on iPad via a NAS drive, if that is of any use. Best thing I’ve found for that is PlayerXtreme.

[PlayerXtreme Media Player by Xtreme Media Works https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/playerxtreme-media-player/id456584471?mt=8]

• @Zen210507 said:
    For sure you could watch movies on iPad via a NAS drive, if that is of any use. Best thing I’ve found for that is PlayerXtreme.

[PlayerXtreme Media Player by Xtreme Media Works https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/playerxtreme-media-player/id456584471?mt=8]

Yep. I use that one. I also have a USB3 thumb drive that lets me watch movies from... think it’s brand is LEEF.
    So, regarding movies via usb3 cck, shouldn’t be a problem if the iPad recognises the target

• @enc said:
    I've been asked the question Is it possible to watch say avi movies from a dongle connected via camera connection kit ?
    Not something I've tried or even considered before.

Just wondering if it's possible or if there is a work around ?

Look above.
    Things have really changed since I downloaded divx movies, encoded them to PSP format, to watch in bed with my handheld PlayStation. Before smartphones, before the big brainwash :smile:

• I wonder what motivates someone to answer a question after four years ... ? just curious

• @nick said:
    I wonder what motivates someone to answer a question after four years ... ? just curious

The only thing I can think of is that the thread was stumbled upon while doing a search.

• @nick said:
    I wonder what motivates someone to answer a question after four years ... ? just curious

They are enlightened that time is an illusion?

• I would love to put some of my DVDs on a USB Stick, connect that somehow to iPad and watch it there.
    Which would be a good choice if hardware today?
    Recommendation for (free) software to copy the DVD? Best would be if the process leaves me with the usual DVD option to choose chapters of the movie

• edited October 2017

@teleb said:
    I would love to put some of my DVDs on a USB Stick, connect that somehow to iPad and watch it there.
    Which would be a good choice if hardware today?

Just remembered, there was a device that did this really well. The name was AirStash, and it was a USB stick that could act as a WiFi source. So you could point your iPad at that and watch whatever was in the stick via VLC or something else. It worked a treat. The only drawback was that while you were watching via AirStash, you could not simultaneously use a Net connection.

Also, not sure if it is any good with IOS 11.

[AirStash Classic by Wearable Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/airstash-classic/id912237218?mt=8]

Amazon are still selling AirStash USB sticks in varying sizes.

• AirStash: Interesting device.

• @teleb said:
    AirStash: Interesting device.

>

Yes, they are good. We used on one holiday, and later discovered that the USB stick could also be plugged directly into the room’s TV. :) This was preferable, not just for the far bigger screen, but also because it kept the AirStash charged.