Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Mini Retina is now LIVE on the Apple Store!

Wish I could get one :-(

Comments

• ...oh no.... my fingers go to the buy button. OMG i finally did it and bought an iPad now. I could not choose between the iPad Air and iPhone 5S. Now i will get my iPad mini retina 128GB 4G in about 2 weeks.

• edited March 2014

• Good call @Galaxyexplorer. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

• Have 512 of RAM…no??

• edited March 2014

• @Simon "It looks like the larger capacity models are selling the fastest"

This is probably more due to the fact that they manufactured less of the higher capacity ones to begin with (the market for the 32GB Mini is much bigger than for the more expensive versions).

• 512 meg of ram! Galaxy will be cancelling his order, again!! Lol ;-)

• Awesome. I'm going to place my order shortly. I've got a first gen Mini currently -- the only iPad I've used for music production -- so I'm quite accustomed to the small form factor.

The Air tempted me since it is so much lighter and more svelte than the previous iPads, so I thought about replacing my Mini with an air, because hey, bigger screen right?

But I went to Best Buy last night to get a feel for the Air again, and as much as I like the reduced weight, it still seems... BIG. I love how I can palm-hold the Mini, and how I can just toss it in my bag without noticing it. When recording in my car or playing guitar into it on my couch, it can rest on my knee without balance issues. I can see the same amount of information, just in a smaller space - and it is much more natural for eBooks and general reading.

So, I'm going to go with the new Mini. The screen will look even BETTER than the Air's because it's packing the same retina resolution into an even smaller space = higher PPI. And the guts are the same for $100. Win win win.

• True, it's probably a wash for those that do hold it closely. But I've got good vision and hold my Mini no closer to my face than a full-sized iPad. Either way, it will be an awesome upgrade over the current Mini's display, which is really what I'm comparing it to since that's what I use every day :-)

Plus that extra $100 can go toward my Apogee One purchase, wheeee!

• Yes is 512 of RAM…..but have 64 bit CPU that make this things with the same RAM of older version:

• edited November 2013

512MB of ram is nonsense. Where are you getting this info?
    It had better not have only 512MB ram or mine will be going back!

• Yeah, source? Except for an unconfirmed rumor from a Chinese retailer's website... All indications are that it's 1GB.

• If have the same RAM and same CPU of Air….why air cost twice? What do you think?
    All people buy Mini….

Last iPad have 1 GB and now Air have 1 GB,

Last Mini have 512 MB and now Mini have the same.

It's Right...

• edited November 2013

a. Display size

b. Marketing

You're speaking from conjencture, not facts. Apple employees have stated the Mini has 1GB RAM. Unless you have a credible source, I'm inclined to disbelieve you.

• Are they in stores today? Or just online?

• Just online.

• Yeah he's confusing the 1st mini with the Retina. The price difference is 100$/90 Euro and the Retina will surely have 1Gb of RAM, it needs it for the higher res display.

• edited November 2013

More than anything I think it needs it for the 64-bit architecture. 64-bit offers performance gains on a computational level, but from a RAM perspective, there are often penalties. Technically, the iPad Air and Mini Retina (assuming it also has 1GB RAM) will be more RAM-hungry than the iPad 4.

The Air review from ArsTechnica says it better than I ever could:

The move to a 64-bit platform however does complicate things a bit. Moving to a larger memory address space increases the size of pointers, which in turn can increase the footprint of 64-bit applications compared to their 32-bit counterparts. So although there’s clearly a performance uplift from app developers recompiling in 64-bit mode (more registers, access to new instructions), there’s also an associated memory footprint penalty. Since the iPad Air and iPhone 5s don’t feature a corresponding increase in memory capacity, I wondered if this might be a problem going forward.

To find out I monitored total platform memory usage in a couple of scenarios. Before measuring I always manually quit all open apps and performed a hard reset on the device. Note that the data below is reporting both clean and dirty memory, so it’s possible that some of the memory space could be recovered in the event that another process needed it. I hoped to minimize the impact by always working on a cleanly reset platform and only testing one app at a time.

I looked at memory usage under the following scenarios:

1) A clean boot with no additional apps open

2) Running Mobile Safari with 4 tabs open (two AnandTech.com tabs, two Apple.com tabs, all showing the same content)

3) Infinity Blade 3 (64-bit enabled) sitting at the very first scene once you start the game

4) iOS Maps in hybrid view with 3D mode enabled, with a WiFi assisted GPS lock on my physical location

5) Google Maps in the same view, under the same conditions. I threw in this one to have a 32-bit app reference point.

In general you’re looking at a 20 - 30% increase in memory footprint when dealing with an all 64-bit environment. At worst, the device’s total memory usage never exceeded 60% of what ships with the platform but these are admittedly fairly light use cases. With more apps open, including some doing work in the background, I do see relatively aggressive eviction of apps from memory. The most visible case is when Safari tabs have to be reloaded upon switching to them. Applications being evicted from memory don’t tend to be a huge problem since the A7 can reload them quickly.

The tricky part is you don’t really need all that much more memory. Unfortunately as with any dual-channel memory architecture, you’re fairly limited in how you can increase memory capacity and still get peak performance. Apple’s only move here would be to go to 2GB, which understandably comes with both power and financial costs. The former is a bigger concern for the iPhone 5s, but on the iPad Air I would’ve expected a transition sooner rather than later.

Although things seem to have improved with iOS 7.0.3, the 64-bit builds of the OS still seem to run into stability issues more frequently than their 32-bit counterparts. I still see low memory errors associated with any crashes. It could just be that the move to 64-bit applications (and associated memory pressure) is putting more stress on iOS’ memory management routines, which in turn exposes some weaknesses. The iPad Air crashed a couple of times on me (3 times total during the past week), but no where near as much as earlier devices running iOS 7.0.1.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review/9

• Yes….sorry to All…..I try now that they have both the same RAM….strange…

• Hey….and I see now that cost only 110€ minus the mini retina…..no, I think for 110€ I prefer bigger screen.

• edited November 2013

512mb ram..... no jokes please or i get a heart attack ;) But i was sure of the 1GB because even the iPhone 5 has 1GB ram. The thing i would now like to know if it's clocked also with 1.4Ghz like the iPad Air. If not it will have at least the same performance like the 1.3Ghz iPhone 5S which i tested 2 days a while ago..... but now i can choose between the iPhone and iPad apps :))))))))
    Indeed the price in Germany is just 90€ less than the Air.

• mmpmmp
    edited November 2013

@jesse_ohio nah, the 64-bit thing is why it needs to have 2GB RAM ;-)

• All this RAM talk and the fact that they only have 1GB has me second guessing again. Lots of reports of Airs crashing and freezing. Ordering a new device should be exciting, not troubling. Maybe I just need to sit this one out AGAIN. Dammit Apple!

• Clocked to 1.3Ghz apparently, so slightly slower than the Air.

1GB RAM confirmed as well.

• What?!.... a bit slower as the iPhone 5S and about 7% less than the Air... also i think it will clock down faster. But it's O.K. the Air is still the real "big" brother ;)

• I see GE has finally gone for the iPad Mini. More choices on iPad as far as apps go and with massive storage and a more powerful all round performance.

All this talk of RAM etc is not what Apple is about. There are Android devices with more RAM out there but the ecosystem, hardware and software integration is no where near Apple's.

• edited March 2014

• edited November 2013

....cancelled.... ordered iPad Air instead ;) After seeing some of the benchmarks i thought i will go with the fastest iPad out there. Ha ha lol.... hard choice this year. I think also the gpu will not run the same as on the Air. So seems i jump from 4" to 9,7" :) Please tell me that that was a good choice. I def. will not cancel this. The good thing is i can "test" it 14 days and if there is something wrong or i still prefer iPhone production i can send it back.

• I think once you see how much easier it is to use some of these apps on an iPad versus an iPhone, you won't mind the added size. :)