Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 + Ableton Link Start Stop Sync

Hey! Some of you guys already beat me to the punch, but I thought I'd post this here so it's more visible:

You might have heard that Ableton Link, the technology that lets apps and devices play in time with each other, has a new trick this week: Start Stop Sync. This allows apps to share transport state with each other, and with Ableton Live.

Press play in one app, and everything else starts along with it, in time.

It's really cool, and the new version of Audiobus 3, out this week, supports Start Stop Sync out of the box! Yep: Audiobus compatible apps get Start Stop Sync support for free. Audiobus will automatically translate start and stop messages from Link to those Audiobus-compatible apps with a play button, so everything just works.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Does Ableton 10 now support this ? or is it coming in a later dot update ?

• @Michael said:
    Hey! Some of you guys already beat me to the punch, but I thought I'd post this here so it's more visible:

You might have heard that Ableton Link, the technology that lets apps and devices play in time with each other, has a new trick this week: Start Stop Sync. This allows apps to share transport state with each other, and with Ableton Live.

Press play in one app, and everything else starts along with it, in time.

It's really cool, and the new version of Audiobus 3, out this week, supports Start Stop Sync out of the box! Yep: Audiobus compatible apps get Start Stop Sync support for free. Audiobus will automatically translate start and stop messages from Link to those Audiobus-compatible apps with a play button, so everything just works.

Enjoy!

PS - thanks so much for being "first past the post" on this! "

• edited February 2018

@nonchai said:
    Does Ableton 10 now support this ? or is it coming in a later dot update ?

Yep, apparently: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209776125-Ableton-Link-features-functions-and-FAQ (look for "What is Start Stop Sync in Live 10?")

PS - thanks so much for being "first past the post" on this! "

:+1: :)

• So “idiot DAW” type question. If I want everything to start 4 beats into my DAWs click track, I could now push the AB play button for everything connected after the daw clicks off my 4 beats. ?Cubasis, Auria, etc? (I can just synch one app to my daw’s midi clock and go!?!?)

• Yes, ish... The apps need to be synced to Link (because Audiobus won't provide sync on its own), and you need to make sure you hit the AB play button a little before the downbeat, cos otherwise there may not be enough time and some apps might start at the next bar. Also, this functionality isn't actually new - the only new thing is that now the AB play button also sends Link start stop messages, and AB will also convert Link start stop messages to (basically) presses of the play/stop button.

• Thanks Michael and futureaztec. I’ve used Link to MIDI before as well as midi clock input or output to Linked drum machines using AB with no problem. Great stuff.

• @Michael. I’m finding that apps like Funk Drummer and TroubleMaker respond to the AB3 transport/start, stop commands but Model 15, Lorentz, Laplace do not. All apps with Link enabled. Air2,11.2.

• @Ben, do those apps' play buttons work usually?

• @Michael said:
    @Ben, do those apps' play buttons work usually?

The apps I mentioned in arp mode have hold and arp on/off buttons. Yes, they work manually but no global start/stop that I’m aware of.

• Hmm, sounds like perhaps the triggers just don't function as expected; all Audiobus' new Start Stop Sync feature does is hit those triggers...

• I’ve downloaded Loopy beta with this functionality but I must have misunderstood/overestimated its usefulness to me. It doesn’t seem to instantly start all apps, it still waits for the 1 which I guess was to be expected since Link just keeps rolling.

• @supadom said:
    I’ve downloaded Loopy beta with this functionality but I must have misunderstood/overestimated its usefulness to me. It doesn’t seem to instantly start all apps, it still waits for the 1 which I guess was to be expected since Link just keeps rolling.

Yeah it still won't do the start stop if you stray from the tempo and number of bars established. But even just for initial start/stop of a tune, this is awesome.

• anyone know if there’s a way to use this via external midi?

• @crifytosp said:
    anyone know if there’s a way to use this via external midi?

Sure, just set a binding to the transport in Loopy, Samplebot, or Live.

• edited February 2018

sorry, I meant midi transport. I use a looper that sends start/stop and bpm.

• I’m still trying to understand how transport works being the most critical part how devs implement phase sync. I hope this link helps others and bit a bit we can understand what is going on...
    https://ableton.github.io/link/