Lazy man sample drumkit test/ and cleaning the lib

edited February 20 in App Tips and Tricks Vote Up0

open all your drum sounds from the kit in VLC (free for Mac/linux/win)
go to vlc menu set playback to repeat all and random playback
now it plays all the sounds back in random order
now its its easy to make out sounds that don't fit,
just delete them ...

Comments

  • 19 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • edited February 19 Vote Up0

    now you can just drop them on some pads in what ever software or hardware you prefer
    and happily bang on them
    never a wrong sound

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    btw I need to record this it creates crazy grooves

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    this offers more possibilities
    just click on samples from other kits to see if they fit in B)
    this makes killer drum kits <3
    have fun

  • Very clever indeed

  • Nice. I added a feature like this to the TRG Maker long ago for the same reason. If you drop samples on it and hit the Play button up top it will trigger the samples randomly. http://luktown.org/random/trg/ Obviously made for NS1 but I guess you could still use it to collect a set of samples. Then go to Export and it will zip them all up. Just delete the whatever.trg file.

  • @syrupcore said:
    Nice. I added a feature like this to the TRG Maker long ago for the same reason. If you drop samples on it and hit the Play button up top it will trigger the samples randomly. http://luktown.org/random/trg/ Obviously made for NS1 but I guess you could still use it to collect a set of samples. Then go to Export and it will zip them all up. Just delete the whatever.trg file.

    what makes this trick extra nice is u don't have to move anything to listen to it in context.
    U start moving files after you made decisions, this saves a hell lot of time.

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    and as a side product of this process u get rid of all the samples u don't need
    you end up with a clean lib of sounds and drum kits u like
    no more fucking sample mess <3

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    I started out with an ridiculous amount of samples like 10.000 or something
    now Im down to the 500 samples I like and the rest is in the trash bin.
    goes very quick, including massive editing of the sounds it took just 4 days

    its just 21 mb of drums now, it would all fit in the ram of an old school mpc,
    who would have thought? :o

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play icon on the top sample, (not the sample name, which puts the sample in the viewer, just tap the play triangle) and AS plays the list of samples one by one...

  • edited February 20 Vote Up0

    @Littlewoodg said:
    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play on the top sample, AS plays the list one by one...

    one by one doesn't really do it,
    random is key
    and you can't test samples from other folders in combination with those in the folder that way
    thats what makes it great

  • @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play on the top sample, AS plays the list one by one...

    one by one doesn't really do it,
    random is key
    and you can't test samples from other folders in combination with those in the folder that way
    thats what makes it great

    Sounds like fun

  • Does the VLC for iOS work the same way?

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play on the top sample, AS plays the list one by one...

    one by one doesn't really do it,
    random is key
    and you can't test samples from other folders in combination with those in the folder that way
    thats what makes it great

    Sounds like fun

    it is :)
    makes sorting and combination and trying out things really easy

  • @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play on the top sample, AS plays the list one by one...

    one by one doesn't really do it,
    random is key
    and you can't test samples from other folders in combination with those in the folder that way
    thats what makes it great

    Sounds like fun

    it is :)
    makes sorting and combination and trying out things really easy

    Does the iOS version work the same way?

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @Max23 said:

    @Littlewoodg said:
    AudioShare has a default behavior similar - within a given folder of samples, tap play on the top sample, AS plays the list one by one...

    one by one doesn't really do it,
    random is key
    and you can't test samples from other folders in combination with those in the folder that way
    thats what makes it great

    Sounds like fun

    it is :)
    makes sorting and combination and trying out things really easy

    Does the iOS version work the same way?

    i have no idea

  • @Max23 said:
    go to vlc menu set playback to repeat all and random playback

    My playback menu doesn't have those features:

  • Oh wait, randomize is behind one of those buttons at the bottom of the page, not in the menu.

  • edited February 20 Vote Up1

    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Oh wait, randomize is behind one of those buttons at the bottom of the page, not in the menu


    Maybe you need to press the button left to it too ... so it cycles forever
    It’s works the easiest way if u tell the system before to open all audio data with vlc then you can just click on things (.aif, .wav, what have you)
    And tell vlc to not open in fullscren mode
    Then you can have your vlc on one side of screen your file tree on the other ...
    I do it with vlc and 2 „finder“ windows, works really fast if you use the usuall keyboard shortcuts ( all, quit, shift click, alt click, cut, copy paste, delete..)
    Im so used to these shortcuts I don’t have to think I just press them
    I went through x thousands of files that way in a few days :)

  • edited February 21 Vote Up0

    its really funny how one sound can make or breake the kit.
    thats why I came up with this

Sign In or Register to comment.