Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alesis iO Dock and AudioBus.

Hiya,

I'm trying to set up my iPad rig with JamUp and Multitrack DAW to record guitar on my iO Dock.

I can't select the rear inputs on the dock as an input source... Do I need to grab another app for that or is there a problem with iO dock connectivity at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This has set me thinking. I'm assuming the dock's rear inputs work fine when just using Jamup, without Audiobus loaded?
    What I'm thinking is this - Jamup takes an input signal from either the mic input or the line in on the iDevice and outputs its audio to the speaker or the headphones. With Audiobus in the equation, Jamup sits in the Audiobus effects slot and takes audio from the Audiobus feed and outputs it back to Audiobus. But does it have to be constrained in this way? Could Jamup also be coded so that it could sit in the Audiobus input slot, use its own (non-Audiobus) audio in routines and use Audiobus for just audio out? Not having seen the Audiobus SDK, I have no way of telling if this is feasible, but it would be nice if it were. That would make setups like Jamup->LiveFX->Multitrack DAW a possibility.

• edited January 2013

Hi Paul,

That's right - the Docks rear inputs work fine when using JamUp or Multitrack DAW as standalone apps, it's just that AudioBus doesn't see the extra inputs at all when the Pad is sitting in the dock.

I got around the problem by using LoopyHD as an input, which sees the dock fine.

My setup is LoopyHD -> JamUp -> MultiTrack DAW.

Had to put to JamUp into low latency mode to make sure there was no lag, but it works fine. I know it's not an ideal solution for all as laying out an extra 5 quid for another app just to use it as an input.

A real solution would be, as you said, to make JamUp both an input and effects app - OR when JamUp or similar is active - make it behave like an input source and remove the effects from the loop.

• I saw JamUp in the input slot in some screen captures of a beta version, so it appears they have listened to us. Let's hope they let us monitor the live output directly via coreaudio and not force the extra latency by monitoring through AB's output.

• @sonosaurus - I have noticed with my setup that it is mostly lag free, there was an almost undetectable bit of lag - noticed only really when doing really technical stuff (not that I'm a technical player). I cured it by just hitting the low latency mode on JamUp.

However if JamUp able to be an input at some point - I think that might actually cure it simply by not having deadweight program in the mix just to function as an input source taking up resources.

Not that Loopy is deadweight - it's a really fun program that I purchased out of a 'lets see if this works as an input' and turned out to be a really fun thing to mess around with!!

• Very happy to find that JamUp now can be used as input, effect and output.

Pretty much wraps my rig up now.

Rock on.

• I was kind of wondering the same thing, but I want to use Audiobus to route audio from a Minibrute into my iODock through an FX app for delay etc. MB comes tomorrow so I can will be able to experiment.

Would the microphone input slot work? Hs anyone tried other external hardware?