Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiple Launch Control XL support

Is anybody here using more than one Launch Control XL with the iPad? I'm currently using one to control AUM and I'd like to get another so I can control up to 16 channels without dealing with virtual pages.

Thanks!
chisel316

Comments

• I don’t, but I use multiple midi controllers other than the LaunchControl at the same time. There should be no problem.

• @wim said:
    I don’t, but I use multiple midi controllers other than the LaunchControl at the same time. There should be no problem.

I use multiple MIDI controllers also, but not two of the same controller. They would need to have unique IDs to be recognized as separate devices. I'm not sure if the Launch Control XL supports this.

• edited February 2018

I think it has but ask directly @AmpifyxNovation ...

• @chisel316 said:

@wim said:
    I don’t, but I use multiple midi controllers other than the LaunchControl at the same time. There should be no problem.

I use multiple MIDI controllers also, but not two of the same controller. They would need to have unique IDs to be recognized as separate devices. I'm not sure if the Launch Control XL supports this.

Not unless IOS has some kind of strange non class compliant USB Stack, each USB device creates a unique identifier as it is plugged in, so no matter if it is multiples of the same device, they should still retain their own identity.

• edited February 2018

@Samplemunch said:

@chisel316 said:

@wim said:

Not unless IOS has some kind of strange non class compliant USB Stack, each USB device creates a unique identifier as it is plugged in, so no matter if it is multiples of the same device, they should still retain their own identity.

Not exactly true. The midifighter twister fails completely. Using 2 on iOS it only sees a single unit. It works fine on pc but not always on iOS. That being said the Keith McMillan k-board shows up as 2 units. So it depends on manufacturer.

• Then IOS has a broken USB stack and needs fixing or the MIDIFighter is doing something outside of the standard USB spec to do what it does, it is simply how USB works.

• edited February 2018

@Samplemunch said:
    Then IOS has a broken USB stack and needs fixing or the MIDIFighter is doing something outside of the standard USB spec to do what it does, it is simply how USB works.

Another problem with multiple identical controllers. Just tested the k-boards now. Other than modstep and Aum other apps see just one of them. Including audiobus3. So broken USB stack it is..... But at least they work on some apps unlike the midifighter. Wierdly enough using the host port on the Ica4+ and a USB hub both the k-boards and midifighter twisters work fine on iOS with multiple copies. Probably since they now detect as hst port 1-4 and not their original devices.....

• That is very strange, definitely something a little special in the way that IOS reads USB devices then :(

• edited February 2018

Novation claims that they don't support iOS, although I've been using the Launch Control XL without any issues. They say that on the PC, it definitely supports multiple devices in Ableton Live, but it was never tested with iOS. That's why I'm asking here. I was hoping somebody has actually tried it.

@gonekrazy3000 Thanks for the USB host tip. That would be an expensive solution, but it would probably work. I could connect one LC XL directly into my USB hub and the other into a Kenton MIDI Host with the DIN 5 MIDI IN/OUT connected into my UMC 1820.

@Dubbylabby Thanks. I sent a direct message to @AmpifyxNovation.

• Novation works with iOS and I remember read somewhere that they keep id usb fine... almost with two different launch controllers on launchpad app (IDK if the usb handshake make that app more usb efficient). Tested with launchkey, launchcontrol and xl.
    The downside is if you connect those through usb host boxes maybe you will lose the is handshake since I’m not sure about how these handle the id <-> dealing and Launchpad app couldn’t recognize them properly. It will require some testing for sure.
    Outside their app ecosystem and doubling the same controller I keep my advice, ask them.
    Also if you are going to use them with another app (AUM or whatever) and you don’t need the live/launchpad features maybe there is another controller suiting best your workflow (like apc40mk2 or apc mini...)

Hope it helps.

• edited February 2018

@Dubbylabby said:
    Novation works with iOS and I remember read somewhere that they keep id usb fine... almost with two different launch controllers on launchpad app (IDK if the usb handshake make that app more usb efficient). Tested with launchkey, launchcontrol and xl.
    The downside is if you connect those through usb host boxes maybe you will lose the is handshake since I’m not sure about how these handle the id <-> dealing and Launchpad app couldn’t recognize them properly. It will require some testing for sure.
    Outside their app ecosystem and doubling the same controller I keep my advice, ask them.
    Also if you are going to use them with another app (AUM or whatever) and you don’t need the live/launchpad features maybe there is another controller suiting best your workflow (like apc40mk2 or apc mini...)

Hope it helps.

It works fine with different devices for other apps. I've used a launchpad pro, a launchkey and a launchcontrol Xl simuntaneouly. The issue is identical controllers. 2 midifighter twisters, 2 launchcontrol Xl, 2 Keith McMillan k-boards and it gets dicey. Either the controllers all stop working, 1 detects , or iOS accepts midi from a single unit even when each one is set to send midi on different channels.

Youre right that the novation apps don't work right via the host port on the Ica4+. But if I remember correctly the op wanted this in AUM. Which works fine via the host port.

• Yes. I'm only concerned with getting two LC XLs working in AUM so I can control 16 mixer channels. I love using the LC XL with AUM. It's like having a hardware mixer. I have everything mapped out including the FX controls so I never have to look at the iPad. Lately, I've had to group my hardware devices (e.g. drums) because I've run out of physical controls. That's what gave me the idea of buying a second LC XL. I need to stop buying hardware!

Thanks for everyone's help. I may just get the LC XL to try it and if it doesn't work, return it. I'll let you know the results in case anyone else wants to have the same setup.

• @chisel316 said:
    Yes. I'm only concerned with getting two LC XLs working in AUM so I can control 16 mixer channels. I love using the LC XL with AUM. It's like having a hardware mixer. I have everything mapped out including the FX controls so I never have to look at the iPad. Lately, I've had to group my hardware devices (e.g. drums) because I've run out of physical controls. That's what gave me the idea of buying a second LC XL. I need to stop buying hardware!

Thanks for everyone's help. I may just get the LC XL to try it and if it doesn't work, return it. I'll let you know the results in case anyone else wants to have the same setup.

I hope you get a positive result. :)

• edited February 2018

I want a 3rd LC XL. Love that thing. One for Ableton, one for soft synths, need additional for iPad. Swapping my 2nd around right now.

• edited February 2018

@Crawlingwind said:
    I want a 3rd LC XL. Love that thing. One for Ableton, one for soft synths, need additional for iPad. Swapping my 2nd around right now.

@Crawlingwind Would it be possible for you to try plugging both into your iPad to see if they are recognized as separate controllers? Do you have AUM? That would be awesome if you could try it out. Thanks!!

@gonekrazy3000 Thanks! I hope so too.

• I don't have a hub to try this - it's my next purchase. Will let you know if I get it together.

• edited February 2018

@chisel316 & @gonekrazy3000

Ok, good news friends, (2) LC XL's work as 16-channel mixer. I found an old 4 port hub and an adapter that worked with it. I put the LC's in low power iPad mode just in case. I set up a 16 track Aum session, and mapped the faders to each channel. I think you have to have each LC on a different template, but that is no problem. I never did any mapping before, but it was simple. Works fine - There you go!

• @Crawlingwind said:

Ok, good news friends, (2) LC XL's work as 16-channel mixer. I found an old 4 port hub and an adapter that worked with it. I put the LC's in low power iPad mode just in case. I set up a 16 track Aum session, and mapped the faders to each channel. I think you have to have each LC on a different template, but that is no problem. I never did any mapping before, but it was simple. Works fine - There you go!

Glad to hear this works. Each template works on a different midi channel but has exactly the same midi cc so makes sense that you'd need to use separate templates.

• @Crawlingwind said:

@Crawlingwind Wow! Thank you so much for trying this out!

• Glad I could help. It gave me a chance to realize one of mine is a bit wonky. One of the lower pads is triggering the two next to it. So it becomes the secondary unit. Great to have a back up.

@chisel316 said:

@Crawlingwind Wow! Thank you so much for trying this out!

• edited February 2018

My second Launch Control XL and snare stand arrived today. Now I have a perfectly symmetrical setup with matching LC XLs on either side of my desk! I just finished mapping all the remaining controls in AUM including effects. I never have to look at my iPad display now! Look for it in upcoming videos.

youtube.com/chisel316

Thanks again!
    chise316