Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Where do I use Audiobus ?

edited February 2018 in General App Discussion

I’m new to IOS music. 3 months now. I keep hearing how Audiobus is great and essential. But I don’t understand where it is supposed to fit in my work flow.

I come from a background of rock/metal band recording of instruments and vst in a Daw. I bought cubasis and I am using inter-app and audio unit for synths and drum machine. I don’t understand where I am supposed to fit Audiobus in that setup and what benefit I can bring me.

No disrespect to the Audiobus team who are so nice to give us this forum that I enjoy very much.

Btw I’m not trying to reproduce my daw in IOS but I’m trying to say, I am not going to be using IOS in the way where you have a grid with samples you turn on or off. What is that called? Dj style?

Much respect to those who use that style.

Comments

• No, you are right. You probably don’t need it for your workflow. But you might need it eventually if you try to use an app that only supports Audiobus for connecting to other apps. Sometimes you need Audiobus, sort of like how sometimes you need a specific cable adapter for real music gear. At one point in the past, Audiobus was the only way to connect apps. Now there is IAA, and more important there is AU. AU will probably take over completely at some point, but for now you might still need to use IAA or Audiobus to connect your apps to your DAW or just to other apps such as effects or recorders. Audiobus is needed on a case by case basis; it depends on the specific app you are trying to use and what connection methods that specific app supports.

• My main use for AB is getting things to start at the same time.

• It also has the cool Audiobus Remote companion app, which is useful even if you only have one device.
    These days, you may not ever find a need for Audiobus in your workflow. There are the other two connection methods, and everyone has their own way of geiiting things done. With that said, I use Audiobus all of the time, everyday. I have AUM, Cubasis, and BM3, but still get daily use from Audiobus. I use it without thinking about it, it just sits permanently in my Dock and I use it for everything, including with the other apps I mentioned.

• @BiancaNeve said:

My main use for AB is getting things to start at the same time.

This ^

Especially with Link enabled apps as an alternative for midi start/stop. It's also handy for fast app switching because of the sidebar.

• edited February 2018

Thank you for confirming my workflow . I guess where all in the dark until we try a bit everything.

• My main usecase for AB nowadays is the fast-switching via the sidebar. This is still indispensable for me (not having to go to the DAW, only to go to the other App..., drove me crazy everytime...

• @BiancaNeve said:
    My main use for AB is getting things to start at the same time.

I do have problem with IAA not starting and having to start them and close them, then restarting cubasis. Maybe that would fix problem

• @animal said:
    My main usecase for AB nowadays is the fast-switching via the sidebar. This is still indispensable for me (not having to go to the DAW, only to go to the other App..., drove me crazy everytime...

Same. And generally for jamming/messing around (even if I'm recording it) vs tracking a plan into a DAW.

• I still use AudioBus to track guitars. Easy, fast, and I can use as many instances of any guitar app I need. Most importantly, it ALWAYS works.

• And it SAVES your complete setup, so that you can reload everything together next time.
    And you can easily share such a setup / preset