Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SoundCloud alternative with better audio quality

Hello,

SoundCloud really degrade audio quality, especially low end.

What’s the best alternative now?

Comments

• The best alternative is BANDCAMP! Seriously try the apps. You can upload in any mobile browser too. The catch is you have to include a cover image.

AudioCopy has a YouTube upload option that I haven't tested yet.

• Bandcamp. Or... just host them on your own site then you upload whatever quality you want. I do both :)

• Many thanks for answers, just created an account and upload my last track in 44.1 kHz 32 bits wav file format ... so different : ))))

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24702/madreeon#latest

• @Janosax said:
    Many thanks for answers, just created an account and upload my last track in 44.1 kHz 32 bits wav file format ... so different : ))))

FYI 16 bit should be fine for a final mix down.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Janosax said:
    Many thanks for answers, just created an account and upload my last track in 44.1 kHz 32 bits wav file format ... so different : ))))

FYI 16 bit should be fine for a final mix down.

Should I use dithering algorithm? Does AudioShare conversion from 32 to 16 bits allow for that?

• Dithering gives your mix some imperceptible white noise... I might get corrected but it's like a saturator and can make your mixes a little more warm and fuzzy sounding. My personal preference is triangular over rectangular and I dither at 16 bits but I haven't really bothered to research it any further.

AudioShare can convert the format.

My general rule, record and resample at 24 bit and mix down at 16 bit.

• edited February 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Dithering gives your mix some imperceptible white noise... I might get corrected but it's like a saturator and can make your mixes a little more warm and fuzzy sounding. My personal preference is triangular over rectangular and I dither at 16 bits but I haven't really bothered to research it any further.

But what do you use for dithering? Can't find if Audioshare, AUM or Maxima can add some dithering. I have DDMF NoLimits which is able to, and that's all. I need an iOS solution on iPhone.

• edited February 2018

@Janosax said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Dithering gives your mix some imperceptible white noise... I might get corrected but it's like a saturator and can make your mixes a little more warm and fuzzy sounding. My personal preference is triangular over rectangular and I dither at 16 bits but I haven't really bothered to research it any further.

But what do you use for dithering? Can't find if Audioshare, AUM or Maxima can add some dithering. I have DDMF NoLimits which is able to, and that's all. I need an iOS solution on iPhone.

I'm not sure an iPhone solution exists. IK Multimedia has Lurissen but I think it's unreasonably priced and it's effectiveness... questionable. I'm using Cubasis with Waves Plugins on the IPad. Auria Pro is another one.

• We’ve been happy with BandCamp, thus far.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Janosax said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

I'm not sure an iPhone solution exists. IK Multimedia has Lurissen but I think it's unreasonably priced and it's effectiveness... questionable. I'm using Cubasis with Waves Plugins on the IPad. Auria Pro is another one.

I should use DDMF NoLimit dithering, I have to test with all other settings to zero if it’s trensparent enough to use Maxima placed before it in the chain, as I can use the one or the other for quick mastering.
    Or I will export to Ableton which has its algorithm too.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Dithering gives your mix some imperceptible white noise... I might get corrected but it's like a saturator and can make your mixes a little more warm and fuzzy sounding.

Corretion coming. :wink: Dithering does add noise, but it's actually at a level so quiet as to be near the noise floor of the digital audio (roughly -94dBFS for a 16 bit file) and is completely inaudible at anything even close to normal listening levels. More info and some examples of different kinds of dither here:

http://innerportalstudio.com/new-dither-examples/

• @Tarekith said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Dithering gives your mix some imperceptible white noise... I might get corrected but it's like a saturator and can make your mixes a little more warm and fuzzy sounding.

Corretion coming. :wink: Dithering does add noise, but it's actually at a level so quiet as to be near the noise floor of the digital audio (roughly -94dBFS for a 16 bit file) and is completely inaudible at anything even close to normal listening levels. More info and some examples of different kinds of dither here:

http://innerportalstudio.com/new-dither-examples/

I sort of assumed adding compression on a dithered mix might make it a little saturated. In any case it's noise and it can mask potential sound artifacts (those annoying ringing sounds) sometimes inexplicably present on final mixes.

• I’m sorry, but that’s not true either. The only point of dithering is to avoid truncation distortion, but even then it’s so quiet as to be far, far below the noise floor of any playback equipment used to hear the music. If the dither is noise shaped, as most is in mastering, then the dither noise largely resides in frequencies above and below the range of human hearing.

• ;) Ok well thanks for explaining it in a way we can understand.

• In the past I could download my own tracks from SoundCloud.
    Still should be possible according to their own faq
    Can’t find a way though.. they removed it?

• @R_2 said:
    In the past I could download my own tracks from SoundCloud.

click on the "...MORE" button just beneath your track. Download option is in the dropdown menu from there.

• @Halftone said:

@R_2 said:
    In the past I could download my own tracks from SoundCloud.

click on the "...MORE" button just beneath your track. Download option is in the dropdown menu from there.

Thanks. I first had to switch on download in permissions B)
    Next problem: how do we download on iPad? Clicking the download opens a file which I can’t download.
    In the past I could download (with iCab browser). Now I only get a .webarchive file.

• I think that Bandcamp is very complicated for uploading a file, never remember how to do it.

• Hearthis.at is the one for me :)

https://hearthis.at/?l=en

• My perception is that Bandcamp may be great for hosting your tracks, but seems awful for new artist discovery. Is that true? Do you just have to rely on platforms like YouTube or Spotify or Pandora (and maybe even Soundcloud) as well as the standard social media outlets to build a fan base, then try to send them over to Bandcamp?

• Didn’t Apple recently announce that they are preparing an independant artist venue for music?

• @Janosax said:
    I think that Bandcamp is very complicated for uploading a file, never remember how to do it.

I uploaded recently and it was very straight forward like soundcloud. I think you are right that it used to be complicated, I recall having to zip up the whole album and artwork to upload it or something weird like that in the past. My previous upload before the recent one was 2010 :#

@oddSTAR said:
    My perception is that Bandcamp may be great for hosting your tracks, but seems awful for new artist discovery. Is that true? Do you just have to rely on platforms like YouTube or Spotify or Pandora (and maybe even Soundcloud) as well as the standard social media outlets to build a fan base, then try to send them over to Bandcamp?

Ive been moving to YouTube as it has the widest reach but I did notice Bandcamp is trying to add a community feature with user profiles (separate from bands profiles, even if you have a band profile). Not sure how effective it is.

Are people here just throwing up anything on bandcamp like we do with soundcloud? I always had the perception that bandcamp was for fully realized albums as opposed to my latest song of the week.