Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VIDEO Auria Pro on the iPad Pro.

edited February 2018 in General App Discussion

I was at a friends studio awhile back and he said you cant make music on an ipad so I did this little ditty in about 35 mins. I forgot about this lol

Comments

• @theconnactic said:
    Very cool!

Well thank you

• Appreciate what you do @Shazamm. One of these days I’ll have to open Auria and give it a run. Bought when it was half price figuring that I’d get to it eventually.

• @Ben said:
    Appreciate what you do @Shazamm. One of these days I’ll have to open Auria and give it a run. Bought when it was half price figuring that I’d get to it eventually.

Man when it comes time to create a song and not just a beat its PERFECT

• @Ben said:
    Appreciate what you do @Shazamm. One of these days I’ll have to open Auria and give it a run. Bought when it was half price figuring that I’d get to it eventually.

thank you sir

• Definitely Shazam, not Billy Batson. Good work, sir.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Definitely Shazam, not Billy Batson. Good work, sir.

Thanks

• Coming from the old analog workflow of multitrack tape machines & mixing consoles to DAW was a bit jarring but the way my first was laid out (an early version of Pro Tools M-Powered) it made it easier to get going because it did resemble & function like a tape machine/mixer.

After years on PT, when I got into iOS Music Production, Auria "felt" the most familiar to me. It's my favorite DAW on iOS but I have BM3 & Cubasis too, and I think if you can swing it, all Producers on iOS should have all three.

As Jacob said on that last HaqAttack workflow is the biggest differentiator between the 'Big 3' DAW's. Now I know MTStudio has it's fans & there's GarageBand, but in my opinion they just don't have what the other three are capable of. Plus watch @Shazamm fly around the Auria interface and how most settings can be accessed quickly. I hate the layout of GB where you have to dig in and slide panes around, most controls are horizontal faders which I'm just not a fan of.

Great video @Shazamm By the way, what were the sounds on the tracks grouped to Subgroup 1? It seemed that the iMaschine track and the one next to it were the only tracks going through the stereo bus, am I confused?

• Nice, auria cant be beat with fab filter plug ins

• @JRSIV said:
    Coming from the old analog workflow of multitrack tape machines & mixing consoles to DAW was a bit jarring but the way my first was laid out (an early version of Pro Tools M-Powered) it made it easier to get going because it did resemble & function like a tape machine/mixer.

After years on PT, when I got into iOS Music Production, Auria "felt" the most familiar to me. It's my favorite DAW on iOS but I have BM3 & Cubasis too, and I think if you can swing it, all Producers on iOS should have all three.

As Jacob said on that last HaqAttack workflow is the biggest differentiator between the 'Big 3' DAW's. Now I know MTStudio has it's fans & there's GarageBand, but in my opinion they just don't have what the other three are capable of. Plus watch @Shazamm fly around the Auria interface and how most settings can be accessed quickly. I hate the layout of GB where you have to dig in and slide panes around, most controls are horizontal faders which I'm just not a fan of.

Great video @Shazamm By the way, what were the sounds on the tracks grouped to Subgroup 1? It seemed that the iMaschine track and the one next to it were the only tracks going through the stereo bus, am I confused?

no you are right I did the track in Imachine

• Auria Pro is excellent - however I been getting an issure where if I copy&paste regions/parts they do not snap/lock to the grid - other have mentioned this bug too - I posted on the Auria forum but have had no response from the dev's

• @stormbeats said:
    Auria Pro is excellent - however I been getting an issure where if I copy&paste regions/parts they do not snap/lock to the grid - other have mentioned this bug too - I posted on the Auria forum but have had no response from the dev's

oh damn thats no good

• @JRSIV said:
    Coming from the old analog workflow of multitrack tape machines & mixing consoles to DAW was a bit jarring but the way my first was laid out (an early version of Pro Tools M-Powered) it made it easier to get going because it did resemble & function like a tape machine/mixer.

Given your background, I’m curious as to how BM3 fits in the equation. Where do you use it in your workflow. I hear a lot of folks here singing it’s praises so I’d like to know what I’m missing.

• @Ben said:

@JRSIV said:

Given your background, I’m curious as to how BM3 fits in the equation. Where do you use it in your workflow. I hear a lot of folks here singing it’s praises so I’d like to know what I’m missing.

For me Auria Pro is like Pro Tools. You dont really make beats in Pro Tools, you import the music and make the song inside Pro Tools. (Vocals and Mixing) Auria Pro is the same for me. I use Fabfilter plugins on my mac so it was a perfect fit for me. Using the ipad I dont get bored making music because I can make music in so many different ways and apps. Auria Pro is my Last place my song live no matter where they are created. If I make music on my desktop I import the stems into Auria Pro

• I want my stems with me at all times not just my mp3 files for listening. If I in the studio and the artist wants something changed I can do it on the fly and hand it right over

• @Shazamm said:

@stormbeats said:
    Auria Pro is excellent - however I been getting an issure where if I copy&paste regions/parts they do not snap/lock to the grid - other have mentioned this bug too - I posted on the Auria forum but have had no response from the dev's

oh damn thats no good

@Shazamm yeah not good I get this issue on my ipad pro 12.9 and Air2

• edited February 2018

@Shazamm If you get a moment can you test the copy/paste region/parts not snapping to grid - if you get no issues if poss let me know what ipad and iOS version your running
    Thanks in advance -
    I just updated my ipad pro to 11.2.5 and still same issue - mad frustrating

• This is a lovely track!

Posts like this always tempt me back to Auria Pro, but when I do reinstall and dig in, I have the experience I’ve always had with Auria (since it first went live when I was still on iPad 1, and again when Pro went live when I was on 4): that I’m one (or a few) devices behind. The thread title is a case in point, I’m on Air 2, and AP is more than a little hesitate-y/freezy on this device...

• @Ben said:

@JRSIV said:

@Ben I'd say most, but not all, of my stuff is guitar/bass/drums/vocal Verse-Chorus "songs". But a lot of times I'll just experiment with a loop, a sound, etc. and use it as the germ of a larger idea that like @Shazamm says I'll then export out to AuriaPro.

One recently was a drum loop I made from samples in BM3, using the incredible sample editing to shape the individual drum elements, that I then used the excellent AU functionality to add a Rhodes from NeoSoulKeys and experimented with different bits until I got something cool which I brought over to Auria

So for me BM3 & even Cubasis for that matter are just different environments to get inspired in. If the bit turns out well then I complete it in Auria Pro because I prefer it's layout & Fab Filter plugins for mixing, etc.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    This is a lovely track!

Posts like this always tempt me back to Auria Pro, but when I do reinstall and dig in, I have the experience I’ve always had with Auria (since it first went live when I was still on iPad 1, and again when Pro went live when I was on 4): that I’m one (or a few) devices behind. The thread title is a case in point, I’m on Air 2, and AP is more than a little hesitate-y/freezy on this device...

I'm on an Air 2, I don't find it slow or freezy at all. It seems to run just fine, and I've been using Auria every day on this device for the last 3 years. 40+ tracks, plugins everywhere etc....

One thing I have learned to do is to print IAAs and AUs at the earliest opportunity though, that's a habit I learned early on. But I would do the same in Cubasis or BM3 as well.

• edited February 2018

@richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    This is a lovely track!

I'm on an Air 2, I don't find it slow or freezy at all. It seems to run just fine, and I've been using Auria every day on this device for the last 3 years. 40+ tracks, plugins everywhere etc....

One thing I have learned to do is to print IAAs and AUs at the earliest opportunity though, that's a habit I learned early on. But I would do the same in Cubasis or BM3 as well.

It’s encouraging to hear this, I just reinstalled yet again and am giving it a try...I’m glad to hear your thoughts, I think of you as one of our AP go-too friends

I see what you mean about printing (by that, I take it you mean freezing and punting) the IAAs, my first crash since reinstalling was while using an IAA in a midi track:

I had switched screens back from iMPC Pro 2 and AP crashed as soon as I tried a pinch to zoom on the track view. The usual pop up appeared when I reopened AP (please tell us what happened right before the crash etc) so I sent the note on to Rim.

Seeing the pop up reminded me of the last install I’d attempted, which I suppose now was actually plagued by IAA issues - I kept trying fairly involved routings with IAA - recording simultaneous tracks of multi-midi-in multi-audio-out apps (Seekbeats, LayR) sequenced by Genome or Modstep ...lots of crash pop ups, and failure-to-load-app pop ups ensued...

since that period (I wanted to cliplaunch a bunch of IAA apps live into AP) I’ve become a lot simpler with my iOS approach generally, and I might find AP to be much happier.

(I should say in fairness that I haven’t had those ‘better to print IAA apps as soon as possible’ issues with Cubasis and BM3, and BM3 is of course a cliplaunch thing itself...but neither of those has the AP feature set, so I’m trying AP again)

Guessing you also use airplane mode while working with AP...something I always forget to do

• Quick unrelated question.. Is anyone else having problems using ‘open in’ via Audioshare to get wavs to export to Auria? Nothing shows up, and they’re big files I’m using so I know no space is being used up either. Been having to upload to Drive then use open in there to get it to Auria.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    I see what you mean about printing (by that, I take it you mean freezing and punting)

Actually I don't freeze tracks, because once frozen tracks can't be re-ordered, and I like to keep my tracks grouped logically (would be nice if this shortcoming was fixed one day). So I use the Bounce In Place function, which renders the audio and removes all the instruments and effects.

But basically, iOS in general, and Auria in particular, is not an environment suited to having lots of live instruments and plugins. Auria is absolutely great at handling its own native plugins, you can easily run 20-25 FabFilters simultaneously if your buffer size is set to 4096 on an Air 2, but I wouldn't trust a project with several live AUs or IAAs active - it's just asking for trouble: crashes, lost connections, corrupted projects etc... So if I want to use an external instrument or effect, I print the track at the earliest opportunity and move on. I understand that for many people this workflow isn't flexible enough, but I'm happy to commit so that I can then have an easier life :)

• @oat_phipps said:
    Quick unrelated question.. Is anyone else having problems using ‘open in’ via Audioshare to get wavs to export to Auria? Nothing shows up, and they’re big files I’m using so I know no space is being used up either. Been having to upload to Drive then use open in there to get it to Auria.

I usually use the General Pasteboard to copy and paste between AS and Auria, works well enough for me, but of course is limited to 16bit (not usually problem for me though). Have you tried simply copying the files over using the Files app? That's flawless at my end: just copy your files into the main Auria folder, you can then import them into your project in Auria.

• @richardyot said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    I see what you mean about printing (by that, I take it you mean freezing and punting)

Actually I don't freeze tracks, because once frozen tracks can't be re-ordered, and I like to keep my tracks grouped logically (would be nice if this shortcoming was fixed one day). So I use the Bounce In Place function, which renders the audio and removes all the instruments and effects.

But basically, iOS in general, and Auria in particular, is not an environment suited to having lots of live instruments and plugins. Auria is absolutely great at handling its own native plugins, you can easily run 20-25 FabFilters simultaneously if your buffer size is set to 4096 on an Air 2, but I wouldn't trust a project with several live AUs or IAAs active - it's just asking for trouble: crashes, lost connections, corrupted projects etc... So if I want to use an external instrument or effect, I print the track at the earliest opportunity and move on. I understand that for many people this workflow isn't flexible enough, but I'm happy to commit so that I can then have an easier life :)

Thanks for clarifying- bounce in place indeed (and it is something I do as a practice in Cubasis, and MTS)

• @richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Quick unrelated question.. Is anyone else having problems using ‘open in’ via Audioshare to get wavs to export to Auria? Nothing shows up, and they’re big files I’m using so I know no space is being used up either. Been having to upload to Drive then use open in there to get it to Auria.

I usually use the General Pasteboard to copy and paste between AS and Auria, works well enough for me, but of course is limited to 16bit (not usually problem for me though). Have you tried simply copying the files over using the Files app? That's flawless at my end: just copy your files into the main Auria folder, you can then import them into your project in Auria.

Totally forgot about the Files app. I’ll give that a go.

And interesting about the 16-bit pasteboard limit; my Audioshare problem started when working on a 24-bit project and trying to export 24-bit wavs from AS. But now even after I’ve switched back to a a 16-bit project, still no dice on the 16-bit wavs export from AS. Just an observation; your Files suggestion should solve my problem.