Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there any Top 100 hits made entirely with iOS?

Just curious. Are there any top 100 hits made entirely with iOS and if so what apps did the artists use?

Comments

• edited February 2018

No.
    I am sure that iOS is increasingly playing a role, but I can't imagine there's a 100% iOS production on the radio.

• Who knows....but if.....would that change anything?

• @Cib said:
    Who knows....but if.....would that change anything?

I think that it could boost iOS as a platform. More users, more devs, more apps and Apple probably take everything more serious.

• @greengrocer said:

@Cib said:

I think that it could boost iOS as a platform. More users, more devs, more apps and Apple probably take everything more serious.

I doubt it would boost anything in the right direction. It would boost more of the "wrong" customers and devs.
    The general customer base of music apps won´t grow much i think. Before anything can get more serious there needs to be that PRO app store since the app store is a very bad place for these niche products.
    Of course if a famous artist would say he made that super dooper track with an iPhone and this special app (enter your app of choice) it could boost sales maybe.
    But at the end it wouldn´t make it better at all.
    I think the apps are already serious enough for the most people which prefer to make iOS only productions.
    Musicians and listeners don´t care really. These "it´s all made on an iOS device" stamp on tracks is not a good thing at all and makes no sense to me.
    I wonder even why iOS should get a boost here....it would just raise the prices and bigger developers could take even more from the cake compared to independent developers.
    As great as the tools are i doubt any serious pro musician who needs or wants to make a living from music or is already in the game would limit themselves. Is it possible in theory....sure. But in reality i doubt it will ever change in many years to come (beside a few promotional things maybe for bigger brands and/or artists which get payed for it).

• @Cib said:

@greengrocer said:

@Cib said:

I doubt it would boost anything in the right direction. It would boost more of the "wrong" customers and devs.
    The general customer base of music apps won´t grow much i think. Before anything can get more serious there needs to be that PRO app store since the app store is a very bad place for these niche products.
    Of course if a famous artist would say he made that super dooper track with an iPhone and this special app (enter your app of choice) it could boost sales maybe.
    But at the end it wouldn´t make it better at all.
    I think the apps are already serious enough for the most people which prefer to make iOS only productions.
    Musicians and listeners don´t care really. These "it´s all made on an iOS device" stamp on tracks is not a good thing at all and makes no sense to me.
    I wonder even why iOS should get a boost here....it would just raise the prices and bigger developers could take even more from the cake compared to independent developers.
    As great as the tools are i doubt any serious pro musician who needs or wants to make a living from music or is already in the game would limit themselves. Is it possible in theory....sure. But in reality i doubt it will ever change in many years to come (beside a few promotional things maybe for bigger brands and/or artists which get payed for it).

Disagree with your arguments. More users familiar with iOS audio apps means more selling in the end. It's illogic when this leads to higher prices. More competition always leads to lower prices. If more professional companies/ devs are going to develop for iOS that have to compete with the pro companies/ devs that are already have set prices and these are low. I would say more interest is always good.

• Sufjan Stevens recorded a decent amount of his last album in hotel rooms using the iPhones built in microphone.

It's definitely not top 100 hits material but I haven't heard any complaints about the album although you can notice some noise if you're listening for it..

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Sufjan Stevens recorded a decent amount of his last album in hotel rooms using the iPhones built in microphone.

It's definitely not top 100 hits material but I haven't heard any complaints about the album although you can notice some noise if you're listening for it..

That's cool, and it reminds me of how "Nebraska," by Bruce Springsteen was mastered from a four-track cassette (that he carried around, without a case, in his jeans jacket for weeks. Of course, while the cassette was the basis, it had the full force of professional studios and engineers and producers surrounding it and trying to fix up what they could.

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018

Now watch me whip.
    Now watch me Nene.
    Actually don’t know that for a fact. But it definitely could be the case.

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not yet but I’m still working on it, just give me some time dammit

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Sufjan Stevens recorded a decent amount of his last album in hotel rooms using the iPhones built in microphone.

Planetarium or Carrie and Lowell? Love what he does.

• Apart from Steve lacy, I don't think there's any. Major releases usually go thru Mastering engineers using Analog/hardware setups and Pro tools rigs.

• @Ben said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Planetarium or Carrie and Lowell? Love what he does.

Carrie and Lowell

I forgot about Planetarium, listened to one or two of the songs that were released early. Will check it out later, thanks for the reminder.

The live album of Carrie and Lowell is surprising, same songs but the mood is very different..

• edited February 2018

Pros who make hit songs must know what iOS is capable of. You'd think amateurs interested in making music know what iPads or iPhones can do. I wouldn't expect a hit song made entirely on iOS would be that enlightening. Of course, it's possible. So what?

The fact that we have to ask, that we don't know if any iOS-made hits exist or not, suggests that if one did exist, it wouldn't be the news of the year.

• edited February 2018

I'm working on it :smile:

If they can make Tangerine movie completely on iPhone 5s, I should be able to make a hit song on iPad.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Ben said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Sufjan Stevens recorded a decent

I forgot about Planetarium, listened to one or two of the songs that were released early. Will check it out later, thanks for the reminder.

The live album of Carrie and Lowell is surprising, same songs but the mood is very different..

I used to work in a planetarium - I suppose I’m obliged to check them out.

• edited February 2018

@Halftone said:
    this guy has had some success it seems:
    https://www.wired.com/2017/04/steve-lacy-iphone-producer/

a current iPhone has a lot of juice under the hood and the built in mic is like any neutral condensor - just the handling is a bit inconvient because the surface is turned away from you if it's mounted in the optimal adressing position. But if you're used to it, why not.
    He picked up proper instruments (a Rick guitar and a Fender bass) and used a mobile interface for DI.
    A lot of soundsets (to make beats) is of very high quality, so yes - the story makes sense.
    Nevertheless the article mentions that the album eventually was arranged and mixed by a professional producer on a non-IOS system ;)

@ExAsperis99 Nebraska is a favourite of mine - they had a hell of a job to recover the sound from the cassettes which were only intended as demos for recording sessions with the E-Street Band. Since the sessions didn't work out those tapes were the only storage of those inspired moments. The rest is history...

Bottomline: just do your thing with what's available NOW and don't wait on features o:)

• The only thing that’s missing is serious talent being recognised or discovered. Music can be made with an iPad or an iPhone. Music has been successfully released using an acoustic guitar and a voice, so an iOS synth and a daw like Cubasis would be enough.

• edited February 2018

I like this album from 2013 - made entirely in NanoStudio on an iPhone:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/12492

• Considering that there are really only two systems out there anymore for which the answer would be 'yes' (Windows and OSX) that the iOS (or *nix) answer might be 'no' is really just not a big deal.

Certainly the production quality of the Auria demo song or some of the all-electronic music we've heard from Gadget or NanoStudio matches what's on the radio these days.

• edited February 2018

I've seen videos and read articles of high caliber rap producers using GarageBand.

• @lovadamusic said:
    Pros who make hit songs must know what iOS is capable of. You'd think amateurs interested in making music know what iPads or iPhones can do. I wouldn't expect a hit song made entirely on iOS would be that enlightening. Of course, it's possible. So what?

The fact that we have to ask, that we don't know if any iOS-made hits exist or not, suggests that if one did exist, it wouldn't be the news of the year.

Ya know this is probably right. There might be many for all we know, only the professionals don’t advertise that fact because they don’t really give a shit. It’s just a tool that did its job and the results are what matter. Good perspective

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I've seen videos and read articles of high caliber rap producers using GarageBand.

I've heard songs created all in GarageBand, even using the built-in iPhone or iPad mic that sounded okay to me. Certainly makes a solid demo. I just listened to them through headphones and off of YouTube.

I think with any music, though, especially a potential hit song, why not use the many other great tools available and also have it professionally mastered? I don't see why iOS, in a professional's hands, can't be seen as a professional tool for what it is. It certainly doesn't need to be a total pro music studio solution to make iOS devices a success for Apple.

• @Max23 said:
    one gorillaz album has been made mostly on iOS
    but its not very good, lol
    the others are all much better
    it was just something they could do on the tourbus
    http://techland.time.com/2010/12/27/gorillaz-reveal-what-apps-they-used-to-make-their-ipad-album/

Actually I really like that album, I didn't at first but over time it's grown on me and I put it above plastic beach now

• edited February 2018

IOS seems the only community which try to put themselves apart from everything else....why?
    IOS music is a term i don´t get really these days. Half of the sounds used are often samples and sounds made with hardware, from imported loops and sound packs or acoustic instruments. What has that to do with "iOS music".
    It´s just a form of input device to output and record sounds.
    You can make "pro" music with every device these days but no one should need to put a stamp on it like this.
    For some genres iOS can´t be used really but that is another thing.
    Do people think anyone care if we got new music genres like windows, mac, iOS, android....and sub-genres like iPad music, iPhone music....and sub-sub-genres like BM3 music, NS2 music, Auria music......
    Sorry, but that "i did all on an iPad" was interesting at the beginning but now it´s all fake and nonsense to me.
    All what count is the music itself and the creators talent.
    IOS devices are used already for a long time from pros around the world. But no one puts a stamp on it.

• edited February 2018

@Cib I second this 100%

@lovadamusic said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

I've heard songs created all in GarageBand, even using the built-in iPhone or iPad mic that sounded okay to me. Certainly makes a solid demo. I just listened to them through headphones and off of YouTube.

tbh I don't know any contemporary record that needs more than the internal iPhone mic, considering how much post processing usually goes into the vocals. ;)
    Pure acoustic takes are a different story, but even there it's the room that matters most.

• @Cib said:
    IOS seems the only community which try to put themselves apart from everything else....why?
    IOS music is a term i don´t get really these days. Half of the sounds used are often samples and sounds made with hardware, from imported loops and sound packs or acoustic instruments. What has that to do with "iOS music".
    It´s just a form of input device to output and record sounds.
    You can make "pro" music with every device these days but no one should need to put a stamp on it like this.
    For some genres iOS can´t be used really but that is another thing.
    Do people think anyone care if we got new music genres like windows, mac, iOS, android....and sub-genres like iPad music, iPhone music....and sub-sub-genres like BM3 music, NS2 music, Auria music......
    Sorry, but that "i did all on an iPad" was interesting at the beginning but now it´s all fake and nonsense to me.
    All what count is the music itself and the creators talent.
    IOS devices are used already for a long time from pros around the world. But no one puts a stamp on it.

I think it's because a lot of so-called professional music software companies like NI, FLSM, Propellerheads, Ableton etc balk at the idea that the IOS market is profitable enough to dedicate significant resources on their apps. IOS music app users have treated with some condescension and so it's like we've got something to prove to the world.