Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New midi app.

RouteMIDI de « Brian Howarth »
Sorry,the app store doesn’t let me copy the link.

Comments

• https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/routemidi/id1347099452?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

I can't really work out why you would need this functionality in most DAW's though, unless I'm not understanding it.

• edited February 2018

I guess Garageband doesn't have MIDI Out tracks though so this could be quite cool if it let you record the MIDI from the various instrument interfaces. (smart instruments or whatever they call them)
    I wonder if you can add an AU effect slot to say the Drummer and capture the output as MIDI on your computer?

• edited February 2018

@iamspoon said:
    I guess Garageband doesn't have MIDI Out tracks though so this could be quite cool if it let you record the MIDI from the various instrument interfaces. (smart instruments or whatever they call them)
    I wonder if you can add an AU effect slot to say the Drummer and capture the output as MIDI on your computer?

You have to do that as a 2 part process. Use the smart instruments on their own track then copy them onto the midi out track. Only had a very quick play but that seems to work.

Doesn’t seem to work with Drummer track though.

• @BiancaNeve Thanks for the info.

That's what I suspected but I don't have GB installed to check right now.
    A bit of a shame we can't use the smart instruments directly as MIDI controllers but this could still be pretty useful. Almost MIDI export!
    I was always put off using GB due to the lack of that functionality. (short of buying a Mac and using the GB/Logic method of extracting it.)
    Bit strange it isn't working with the drummer though since as I recall the data on the track looked like MIDI.

Please post more info if you find any issues or general weirdness etc... cheers : )

• argh... just noticed iOS 11 or higher which figures I suppose with AU MIDI stuff.
    I got pretty burned in performance when I upgraded my Air 1 to iOS 10 so iOS11 seems like it would be a bad idea.

• edited February 2018

It doesn’t work with the other drum sequencer either.

Also it doesn’t seem to remember what it’s connnected to 1/2 the time.

Overall it’s sort of potentially useful but I’m glad it was cheap.

• High-five to the dev for (mostly?) pulling this off. MIDI Out in Garageband? Whodathunk?

Imagine it could be useful in the future for apps that A) support AU MIDI but B) only support a single MIDI out port (like MultiTrackStudio) since this will allow you to send any track to any port/channel.

Is this the first non-Bram AU MIDI app? Feel like there may have been another but I can't think of it.

• I just bought it and just figure out that it, indeed, do not remember connections...
    Just emailed the dev...
    For info:
    http://appouttime.com/

• edited September 2018

Anyone using this app regularly?

I've just been trying to set it up in GB and noticed that the external synth was seeming to be out of time on playback... so I did a test - and it seems that the MIDI is being sent out early, so that the external synth plays early.

Coming from my old school MIDI days (back in the late 90s) this is really weird that they are early - as I always used to have to adjust the timing as the external MIDI track were always late!

(is there any way to change the track delay on GB?)

Here's a shot of the MIDI track with the resulting audio recorded back into GB.

• Sorry I don’t know any specifics about GB but that is pretty weird..... maybe some sort of delay compensation gone wrong?

Is it possible to synchronise another Audio recorder/DAW to GB to check the timing there?

• @iamspoon said:
    Sorry I don’t know any specifics about GB but that is pretty weird..... maybe some sort of delay compensation gone wrong?

Is it possible to synchronise another Audio recorder/DAW to GB to check the timing there?

Yeah that’s what I reckon - it must be GBs delay compensation / timing system gone wrong.

I could try copying the MIDI to another track and then recording both GBs internal audio and the audio from the external synth on a different DAW (maybe on my Mac) - but I reckon it will just show the same delay as above - albeit with two audio tracks.

Again coming from the way things used to work it’s so weird that the external MIDI track is early.

• Just bought this but looks like the dev hit a brick wall with midi timing and state saving.

No update for a year, I guess there is nothing out there that actually works ?

• Midi tools from Victor Porof does what Routemidi does and much more.
    But only works on iPad.

• edited August 2019

@Jeezs said:
    Midi tools from Victor Porof does what Routemidi does and much more.
    But only works on iPad.

Can Atom export MIDI from GB like RouteMIDI does?

• edited August 2019

Yeh I tried that but still can’t find a way to route midi out of GB in to IAA (module) then bounce or record that audio back in.

@Jeezs said:
    But only works on iPad.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Jeezs said:
    But only works on iPad.

Can Atom export MIDI from GB like RouteMIDI does?

I would try it, but I can’t figure out how to load that one.

• @topaz said:
    Yeh I tried that but still can’t find a way to route midi out of GB in to IAA (module) then bounce or record that audio back in.

@Jeezs said:
    But only works on iPad.

Same for me. It only shows Network 1 as an option, and that didn’t seem to work when connected in AUM.

• @CracklePot said:

@topaz said:

@Jeezs said:
    But only works on iPad.

Same for me. It only shows Network 1 as an option, and that didn’t seem to work when connected in AUM.

Did you try the +/- buttons next to the port name (ie. Network 1)?
    I have no issues selecting different ports (Hardware or Software) in GarageBand on my iPhone 8, iOS12.4.

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

@topaz said:

@Jeezs said:
    But only works on iPad.

Did you try the +/- buttons next to the port name (ie. Network 1)?
    I have no issues selecting different ports (Hardware or Software) in GarageBand on my iPhone 8, iOS12.4.

In RouteMidi that works fine, and I do get Midi to play back in AUM.
    But in MIDI Route from Victor Porof there is just a knob to select Midi ports.
    AUM didn’t show up at all previously, but when I tried again later, I loaded AUM before the MIDI Route plugin, and AUM did show up as a Midi port, so I selected it.
    But I still could not get AUM to show any Midi activity from GB using MIDI Route.

• @CracklePot said:

In RouteMidi that works fine, and I do get Midi to play back in AUM.
    But in MIDI Route from Victor Porof there is just a knob to select Midi ports.
    AUM didn’t show up at all previously, but when I tried again later, I loaded AUM before the MIDI Route plugin, and AUM did show up as a Midi port, so I selected it.
    But I still could not get AUM to show any Midi activity from GB using MIDI Route.

Ok, have you notified Victor @blueveek about the issues?
    Personally I'm waiting for the Atom update...
    (I'm also waiting for the next BM3 update and who knows maybe it will give Atom some healthy competition hehe).