Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you agree with Quincy Jones about this?

124»

Comments

• @CracklePot said:
    Damn, the ‘72 track is even better. Is it some kind of Afrofunk staple that appears in various songs? Or are these 3 kinda it for the Makossa thing?

Scroll down on the Wikipedia page, and you'll see a long list of "Adaptations and samples."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Makossa

• Too long, didn't read it all, sorry. I tend to disagree with the original statement but still think variation counts in a lot of music, even boom bap hip hop beats. The first time I listened to Dre's instrumental version of 2001 in headphones I was totally floored by the amount of crazy little shit going on. The main beat sections are repeated like a loop but there's little flourishes everywhere. And he's certainly not alone in this. Once you add flows over these beats, which are themselves inherently more rhythmic than melodic, I reckon it has as much variation as most other music.

Similar with something like Can or Neu! or Stereolab... they can take you places with their repeating hypnotic drones but part of the magic is that it's being played by humans and slight variations on each repeat are natural.

• @db909 said:
    As far as repetition goes, there’s a big difference between repeating the same musical phrase and repeating the same exact section of AUDIO period over and over. People like repeating phrases(not that they have to repeat relentlessly or anything) but they do not like to hear the exact same overall audio repeated more than twice, and maybe even once, not sure. This is why you can listen to a great guitarist repeat a riff over and over again and not get bored because technically because of playing nuances, it’s not actually the same each time, but try to program a repeating riff and there’s zero variation between each iteration, and you risk boring the ear. This is why with software music making we have to take care change things up in subtle or not so subtle ways less it becomes too mechanical.

Sometimes the exact repetition is what is called for, too. It creates a hypnotic, trance state if done right. I watched a vid about producing Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. They talk about playing the drums repetively to create a hypnotic effect, but it wasn’t enough. So they cut an actual tape loop for the drums and used that because it had a stronger effect. This is another great track to study to find the middle ground between over-repetitive and full-on wank-a-thon.

• edited February 2018

@CracklePot you are right but seems like you’re talking about exact repetition of one instrument in the arrangement, that’s usually fine provided other things are going on. I was saying exact repetition of absolutely all of the audio coming out. Like if your whole arrangement was a 4 bar audio loop that you just copied and pasted and did nothing to. Even if it’s a great loop, it’s going to be slightly stale by the third time. It just goes downhill from there. But overall yeah that song is a great example