Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you agree with Quincy Jones about this?

Comments

• @SealTeamSick said:
    ... the brain craves repetition

Done. o:)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bottom line is - music is different for everyone. I might love something that consists of 2 notes and a beat. Maybe Quincy wouldn’t. Doesn’t make either of us right or wrong as far as I’m concerned. We all make our own choices.

• edited February 2018

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    The > @Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@mannix said:
    KLF wrote a book called The Manual (1988) in which they come up with some nice and similar findings you describe.

The Manual (How to Have a Number One the Easy Way) is a 1988 book by "The Timelords" (Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty), better known as The KLF. It is a step by step guide to achieving a No.1 single with no money or musical skills, and a case study of the duo's UK novelty pop No. 1 "Doctorin' the Tardis"

Jamie Reynolds of Klaxons admitted in an interview to reading The Manual and stated that he "took direct instructions from it.... Get yourself a studio, get a groove going, sing some absolute nonsense over the top, put a breakbeat behind it, and you're away! That's what I did! That's genuinely it. I read that, I noted down the golden rules of pop, and applied that to what we're doing and made sure that that always applies to everything we do. That way, we always come out with a sort of catchy hit number."

You can download a copy here: http://www.tomrobinson.com/resource/klf.txt

lol KLF couldn't play a melody or harmony to save their lives.
    they had a guy come in and play something for them ^^
    they showed him we did this, and then the guy played something that actually worked, lol

That’s bollocks, if you’ll excuse my French. Drummond and Cauty both play instruments, but for the majority of the KLF work they used samplers and session players, as this was ‘the new big thing’ at the time.

They’re not the hottest musicians in the business, but they did have an uncanny knack of tapping into an upcoming zeitgeist.

nah, it isn't
    I can play Beethoven on the piano but I can't harmonize shit without scratching my head and fooling around
    so it means nothing if you can play an instrument ... ;)
    i have to fool around and listen and fool around again until I found something that sounds kind of like what I want, lol

Factually incorrect gibberish.

cough so what does this mean to you? ^^
    It is a step by step guide to achieving a No.1 single with no (money or) musical skills ;)
    I am going to laugh about this conversation the entire evening, gentlemen. :D

So they wrote a how-to-guide for creating a number 1 novelty hit single? Doesn’t mean they “couldn't play a melody or harmony to save their lives”.

Perhaps you’d care to share your music here, and show those KLF boys how it’s done? Since you’re such an expert.

and your point is? :D
    sorry this below my niveau of conversation

Gibberish. Rejoin the thread when you’ve sobered up.

Im not drunk. I stoped talking to you because your childish provoking doesn't work on me. ;)

I disagree with your statement that KLF can’t play music. If you can’t deal with a contrasting opinion, then maybe stop slagging off other artists on a public forum.

Nothing wrong with personal musical preference, but trashing an artists level of skill is another kettle of fish.

• @MonzoPro I had to check out some KLF to see what all the hubbub was about. I knew they were historically important and huge influences on many electronic artists who came after, but couldn’t name any of their best tracks. Now I would have to agree with you, they are pretty great. Who wouldn’t dig this craziness?

• edited February 2018

I enjoy hiphop like this, even though it is repetitious I don't feel fatigued when I listen to it.

as far as Quincy goes, his virtuosity in his music doesn't make him a virtuoso in hiphop, it doesn't work that way. Prince is another virtuoso that thought he understood hiphop but both he and Quincys hiphop was cringeworthy at best. as far as rap vocals go and the typical non-fan of rap vocals, I haven't met one that in blanket fashion disliked rap that could actually understand the vocal he or she so disliked... maybe that's a good reason to not like something.... or not I dunno.

• I agree that a repeating phrase will eventually become background noise...if it doesn't drive you insane first. I don't think the variations need to be very complicated, though. Repetition (thematic, at least) is what makes a track cohesive and musical, in my opinion...all else is simply noodling and noise, so it's certainly possibly to go too far in the opposite direction. I feel there is an optimal balance to be struck, as with all things. I'll take a different tack and suggest that there is real skill and talent involved in writing repeating phrases that don't drive a person nuts, and that is what ultimately leads to timeless tracks--those you never get tired of hearing. My favorite example?

• @oddSTAR said:
    I agree that a repeating phrase will eventually become background noise...if it doesn't drive you insane first. I don't think the variations need to be very complicated, though. Repetition (thematic, at least) is what makes a track cohesive and musical, in my opinion...all else is simply noodling and noise, so it's certainly possibly to go too far in the opposite direction. I feel there is an optimal balance to be struck, as with all things. I'll take a different tack and suggest that there is real skill and talent involved in writing repeating phrases that don't drive a person nuts, and that is what ultimately leads to timeless tracks--those you never get tired of hearing. My favorite example?

I agree with your what you have stated here. I like your example, too.
    Sometimes, just changing the voice of the main melody is enough to refresh a endlessly repeating phrase. Here is a great example.

• I love how this one ramps up the intensity to alleviate the monotony of it all.

• This one has great use of varied guitar tones to give the song an evolving quality despite it being basically one hook over and over.

• Quincy may not be the best hip-hop producer but a lot of hip-hop producers have sampled his work. https://www.whosampled.com/Quincy-Jones/

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Quincy may not be the best hip-hop producer but a lot of hip-hop producers have sampled his work. https://www.whosampled.com/Quincy-Jones/

yeah but his work is not in question here

• @Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    The > @Max23 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Max23 said:

@mannix said:
    KLF wrote a book called The Manual (1988) in which they come up with some nice and similar findings you describe.

The Manual (How to Have a Number One the Easy Way) is a 1988 book by "The Timelords" (Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty), better known as The KLF. It is a step by step guide to achieving a No.1 single with no money or musical skills, and a case study of the duo's UK novelty pop No. 1 "Doctorin' the Tardis"

Jamie Reynolds of Klaxons admitted in an interview to reading The Manual and stated that he "took direct instructions from it.... Get yourself a studio, get a groove going, sing some absolute nonsense over the top, put a breakbeat behind it, and you're away! That's what I did! That's genuinely it. I read that, I noted down the golden rules of pop, and applied that to what we're doing and made sure that that always applies to everything we do. That way, we always come out with a sort of catchy hit number."

You can download a copy here: http://www.tomrobinson.com/resource/klf.txt

lol KLF couldn't play a melody or harmony to save their lives.
    they had a guy come in and play something for them ^^
    they showed him we did this, and then the guy played something that actually worked, lol

That’s bollocks, if you’ll excuse my French. Drummond and Cauty both play instruments, but for the majority of the KLF work they used samplers and session players, as this was ‘the new big thing’ at the time.

They’re not the hottest musicians in the business, but they did have an uncanny knack of tapping into an upcoming zeitgeist.

nah, it isn't
    I can play Beethoven on the piano but I can't harmonize shit without scratching my head and fooling around
    so it means nothing if you can play an instrument ... ;)
    i have to fool around and listen and fool around again until I found something that sounds kind of like what I want, lol

Factually incorrect gibberish.

cough so what does this mean to you? ^^
    It is a step by step guide to achieving a No.1 single with no (money or) musical skills ;)
    I am going to laugh about this conversation the entire evening, gentlemen. :D

So they wrote a how-to-guide for creating a number 1 novelty hit single? Doesn’t mean they “couldn't play a melody or harmony to save their lives”.

Perhaps you’d care to share your music here, and show those KLF boys how it’s done? Since you’re such an expert.

and your point is? :D
    sorry this below my niveau of conversation

Gibberish. Rejoin the thread when you’ve sobered up.

Im not drunk. I stoped talking to you because your childish provoking doesn't work on me. ;)

I disagree with your statement that KLF can’t play music. If you can’t deal with a contrasting opinion, then maybe stop slagging off other artists on a public forum.

Nothing wrong with personal musical preference, but trashing an artists level of skill is another kettle of fish.

so we agree to disagree. ^^
    I can deal very well with an contrasting opinion, thats what you can't, because your reaction to a contrasting opinion was a personal attack, excuse me, are you 13 years old?
    That is really below my niveau of conversation.

so sampling petula clark, abba, gary glitter, the sweet & samantha fox and having some session musicians playing over it (that should cover their greatest hits) makes them great composers and great musicians.
    I don't think so. its a lot of production skill (=50 ways to fake your way through a song) and thats that. Eat your heart out. ;)

You made a personal attack on two musicians not here to defend what you said. If you can’t deal with someone sticking up for them, then don’t keep making inflammatory statements. Particularly when they’re factually incorrect.

But I’m not continuing this silly game of yours, so I wish you all the best.

• edited February 2018
  • edited February 2018

@dokwok2 said:
    Most lyrics are embarrassingly bland, puerile, or offensive. It rarely matters. Most people want something they can hum, or just tap the steering wheel to.

This is true.

.love Zeppelin, but pity the poor boy or girl who tries to live by the wisdom of "Stairway."

>

Not quite so true. ;) While no one should ‘live by’ the words of Stairway to Heaven, there are as you well know, several ideas in there which embrace the positive. Along with others that provoke deeper thought. Both of which are surely beneficial to your students.

• edited February 2018

@kobamoto said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:
    Quincy may not be the best hip-hop producer but a lot of hip-hop producers have sampled his work. https://www.whosampled.com/Quincy-Jones/

But then again, the question did Quincy Jones used samples himself might be interesting

• Of course he did!
    It was samples on manuscript paper though.

• @greengrocer said:

@kobamoto said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:

But then again, the question did Quincy Jones used samples himself might be interesting

he's used samples before, allot, as well as synthesis of course. My comment about him was regarding the op. Icons like Quincy and Prince make iconic music, but they don't make iconic hiphop, hiphop icons make iconic hiphop, and not iconic other types of music... I'm ok with it.

• edited February 2018
  • @Max23 said:

@greengrocer said:

@kobamoto said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:

im pretty sure he used samplers like any other instrument,
    like this cool piano sound library or something
    but he didn't sample riffs from other peoples top 40 hits ;)
    I think the opening sound from thriller is from the fairlight library or from the fairlight demo disc

Don't you mix up things here
    The Opening of Michael Jackson’s “Beat It” is an Exact Replay of a Synth Demo Record
    https://medium.com/micro-chop/the-opening-of-beat-it-is-an-exact-replay-from-the-incredible-sounds-of-synclavier-ii-record-659061d90b37

• edited February 2018
  • I always thought MJ’s Wanna Be Startin’ Sometin’ had to have been directly inspired by this early hip hop jam. Not a copy, but inspired, and also just an assumption I’ve always held.

• @CracklePot said:
    I always thought MJ’s Wanna Be Startin’ Sometin’ had to have been directly inspired by this early hip hop jam. Not a copy, but inspired, and also just an assumption I’ve always held.

Likely they were both inspired by Soul Mokassa from 1972.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Makossa

• @kobamoto said:

@greengrocer said:

@kobamoto said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:

he's used samples before, allot, as well as synthesis of course. My comment about him was regarding the op. Icons like Quincy and Prince make iconic music, but they don't make iconic hiphop, hiphop icons make iconic hiphop, and not iconic other types of music... I'm ok with it.

Yes, and while he is an authority in music he definitely belongs to his generation. This as we all know leads to lesser understanding (or even distrust) of newer trends. Not unlike parents and children or grandchildren in his case.

Also men of big ego are prone to jealousy, maybe even jealousy of youngsters these days not necessarily needing to learn scales for hours on end to get good at making exceptional music. That might grind with him a lot. Not surprisingly.

Again. Apples and oranges. Hancock and McCartney belong to quite different worlds but I’m sure they’d get on great if you put them together in a locked room for a week or two because music IS a universal language whether one likes it or not.

• @telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:
    I always thought MJ’s Wanna Be Startin’ Sometin’ had to have been directly inspired by this early hip hop jam. Not a copy, but inspired, and also just an assumption I’ve always held.

@telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:

Michael was already sued and settled it out of court
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/feb/04/rihanna-michael-jackson-manu-dibango

• As far as repetition goes, there’s a big difference between repeating the same musical phrase and repeating the same exact section of AUDIO period over and over. People like repeating phrases(not that they have to repeat relentlessly or anything) but they do not like to hear the exact same overall audio repeated more than twice, and maybe even once, not sure. This is why you can listen to a great guitarist repeat a riff over and over again and not get bored because technically because of playing nuances, it’s not actually the same each time, but try to program a repeating riff and there’s zero variation between each iteration, and you risk boring the ear. This is why with software music making we have to take care change things up in subtle or not so subtle ways less it becomes too mechanical.

• edited February 2018
  • @hacked_to_pieces said:

@telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:

@telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/feb/04/rihanna-michael-jackson-manu-dibango

Damn, the ‘72 track is even better. Is it some kind of Afrofunk staple that appears in various songs? Or are these 3 kinda it for the Makossa thing?

• @CracklePot said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:

@telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:

@telecharge said:

@CracklePot said:

Damn, the ‘72 track is even better. Is it some kind of Afrofunk staple that appears in various songs? Or are these 3 kinda it for the Makossa thing?

Its been used quite a few times
    https://www.whosampled.com/search/?q=Soul+Makossa