Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for the best mini midi controller for around $100

Hi, I've been looking to upgrade from my KMI K-Board to something that offers a better keyboard feel and also some knobs for midi CC control. I'm going to post some keyboards that I have researched to some extent that may be good portable/mobile iOS midi controller replacements for my K-Board. Please, if you have a knowledge or experience in these, help me and vote for the one you truly believe is the best. I will be going to the local Guitar Center tomorrow to try several of these out and see how I feel about them, but if you have experience about compatibility, build quality, special features or known issues, your vote (and comments below) will definitely help me!! Thank you!!!

Please help me determine which keyboard to buy:
  1. Of the keyboards listed, which do you believe is the best over all keyboard for ios music creation?21 votes
    1. Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII | 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI controller
        9.52%
    2. Arturia MiniLab MkII 25 Slim-Key Controller
      14.29%
    3. M-Audio Oxygen 25 MK IV USB Pad/Keyboard MIDI Controller
        4.76%
    4. Novation Launchkey Mini 25-Note USB Keyboard Controller, MK2 Version
      42.86%
    5. M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32 | Premium 32-Key USB MIDI Keyboard & Drum Pad Controller
      14.29%
    6. Nektar IMPACT LX25+ MIDI Controller
      14.29%

Comments

• Launchkey Mini works for me, just plug and play.

Deep integration with the Novation apps too, unsurprisingly.

• It is interesting that you’ve so far found so many people who have used all of those abovementioned products. ;)

• Avoid the AKAI, it's not class-compliant so it needs a powered hub to run.

• I have the Minilab, it's pretty nice but it has no transport controls. The M-Audio offerings might be the best bet, they have the widest range of controls - unless you need the extra dials on the Minilab.

• If I was getting a keyboard now, the ROLI Seaboard Block is the one I would be seriously considering. I think the control mechanisms on that would open up new ways to play sounds. I played its big brother a while back and was really impressed with it.

• Thanks everyone for all the votes so far!! Please keep them coming!! I’ll be heading to the store in just a few more hours.

• @Jocphone said:
    If I was getting a keyboard now, the ROLI Seaboard Block is the one I would be seriously considering. I think the control mechanisms on that would open up new ways to play sounds. I played its big brother a while back and was really impressed with it.

Oh yeah!! It’s nice.....but a bit rich for my budget.

• @soundklinik said:
    http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/triton_taktile/

This one is really good, it has midi and USB.

Yes, it looks nice!! But More than I can afford though...

• @u0421793 said:
    It is interesting that you’ve so far found so many people who have used all of those abovementioned products. ;)

My poll could have been worded better, I admit

• @Audiojunkie said:

@u0421793 said:
    It is interesting that you’ve so far found so many people who have used all of those abovementioned products. ;)

My poll could have been worded better, I admit

I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best keyboard that works best with iOS, has the best quality, has the best features, the best feel, etc.

• I went with the “wot I own and works really well and is therefore the best even though I’ve tried exactly one out of the six” angle.

I profusely apologise for corrupting the poll for all future consumers seeking comprehensive advice from people who spend their free time extensively comparing, contrasting and tabulating the features, fit and functionality of $100 MIDI keyboards.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I went with the “wot I own and works really well and is therefore the best even though I’ve tried exactly one out of the six” angle.

I profusely apologise for corrupting the poll for all future consumers seeking comprehensive advice from people who spend their free time extensively comparing, contrasting and tabulating the features, fit and functionality of $100 MIDI keyboards.

:wink: Sarcasm? I appreciated your comments!!

• @richardyot said:
    Avoid the AKAI, it's not class-compliant so it needs a powered hub to run.

And there we go again. You don’t need a powered hub to run it and it has nothing to do with being class compliant. It absolutely IS class compliant. You’ll need a passive hub between a CCK and usb midi cable, that’s all.

• edited February 2018

@supadom said:

@richardyot said:
    Avoid the AKAI, it's not class-compliant so it needs a powered hub to run.

And there we go again. You don’t need a powered hub to run it and it has nothing to do with being class compliant. It absolutely IS class compliant. You’ll need a passive hub between a CCK and usb midi cable, that’s all.!

I stand corrected - thanks.

You do need a hub though, and that's an inconvenience worth noting.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    I went with the “wot I own and works really well and is therefore the best even though I’ve tried exactly one out of the six” angle.

I’m English it’s my, sometimes annoyingly, default mode. :D

I do like my Launchkey tho ... it really does get the job done.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@TheVimFuego said:

I’m English it’s my, sometimes annoyingly, default mode. :D

I do like my Launchkey tho ... it really does get the job done.

:smile:

• I got rid of my axiom because the pads and keys send midi on the same channel. Got a launchkey mini instead, which I’m really happy with.

• edited February 2018

@Audiojunkie said:

@soundklinik said:
    http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/triton_taktile/

This one is really good, it has midi and USB.

Yes, it looks nice!! But More than I can afford though...

Sorry my bad, I didn’t mean the Triton, which costs much more. (It has sounds)

I meant Korg Taktile 25 that goes for $ 110 or so....

If I was you I get something with 5din midi, it helps when you connect it to other gear etc...

• Did you see the $35 Monoprice KB controller from the other thread?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24554/monoprice-25-keys-keyboard#latest

• I see a lot of people like the Novation.

• Bro I have the MAudio Axiom Air Mini 32. Works great and with the iPhone or iPad no need for external power. It works perfectly on latest IOS and the pads do help bang out beats on the iMPC Pro2 app. 32 Keys do make a difference but the size is amazing small!
    I drop it in my work bag and it’s hold up already for a long while! I recommend it and the price is really good.

@Audiojunkie said:
    I see a lot of people like the Novation.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    I see a lot of people like the Novation.

The only draw back is the 25 Mini Keys, otherwise I love mine as well. Okay, I have the old version, but I’m sure the MK2 is even better.

• edited February 2018

Novation is great. I'm not too keen on pads for finger drumming but otherwise it is OK.

Akai MPK mini has an edge over most because of the built-in arp which is absolutely awesome. Mk2 has note repeat too. I was also super impressed how pads can be assigned to send program change messages to quickly change patches on compatible soft synths. To me it is the winner but mini lab has definitely a better keyboard....... But shitty knobs

• I've just read on Novation website that Mk 2 doesn't have a low power mode as mk1 and cannot be powered by the ipad. Might be the case of a passive hub like with MPK but can't be sure.

https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206861799

• @supadom said:
    I've just read on Novation website that Mk 2 doesn't have a low power mode as mk1 and cannot be powered by the ipad. Might be the case of a passive hub like with MPK but can't be sure.

Ooh!! This is exactly the kind of information that I was needing!! Thank you!! I tried to research these things, but missed this!

• minilab mkii

• @supadom said:
    I've just read on Novation website that Mk 2 doesn't have a low power mode as mk1 and cannot be powered by the ipad. Might be the case of a passive hub like with MPK but can't be sure.

Interesting, my Mk 2 just plugs into the iPad and I’ve not needed a hub.

It’s a big plus for me, less cables/dongles and more mobility.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@supadom said:

Interesting, my Mk 2 just plugs into the iPad and I’ve not needed a hub.

It’s a big plus for me, less cables/dongles and more mobility.

Maybe the newer one is low power mode only? So no mode switching, just the one mode?

• I have the first version of the minilab and really enjoy using it with analog lab. I like it with the iPad but I hate the touch strips for pitch bend and mod wheel. Not sure if you are solely using it with iPad/iPhone. Since you went to gc already why don’t you just tell us which one you chose.