Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fun synths not too deep?

At the moment im looking for synths that allow me to spend less time programing and more time playing. Of course there needs to be some parameters for customization, efx a plus.
FM player is a perfect example.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• I program synths a lot, but lately kinda felt more like just grabbing some fun sounds and actually making some music (or musical clips lol). With this in mind, I find myself using lots of IAP sounds in BM3 and also the following synths and apps:

1. Syntronik - so easy to find a sound or two and just alter the filters and envelopes.
    2. GR-16 - sort of a very simplified Poison 202 engine and so easy to get quick sounds going. Just wished it was easier to throw these sounds into BM3.
    3. WaveMapper - Once you get used to it’s unique mapping interface, it’s so easy to make new sounds. Why it never became more popular is beyond me. I suppose it has an initial mind jolt to get into its particular way of thinking. I truly believe the PPG main man is a genius!
  • edited February 2018

Some say SynthMaster Player is great.
    Other than that: GarageBand's Alchemy!
    And Animoog, if just for the sheer amount of available 3rd party presets.

• Do the Korg Gadget synths fit into the description?

• Too obvious but, Garageband? There are lots of relly good sounds and most of the presets have most of the parameters I would want to tweak.
    Expressionpad and Yamaha Synthbook have good sounds.
    Also, if you have not updated to iOS 11, then check out Grantophone. It sounds really good, and it's simple and free.

• Audulus.

No wait, not Audulus.

• Poison 202 has great presets for days. Once you get through them all, it is easy to program more. It does most types of synth sounds fairly well.

• I will second @Fruitbat1919 on Groove Rider. It’s just a perfect minimal parameter setup and yet I don’t feel limited. I do think it’s one where you really want to record in a pattern first and then do your tweaking and you did say you wanted to play more. And of course the easy as can be automation adds even more possibilities

• Poison 202 and Zeeon as stand-alone. KORG Gadget as a bundle of fun. Or just mess around with any of the ambient Moodscaper type apps.

• Many. Synthmaster today.

• The default ones in Gadget are fun and not too deep.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The default ones in Gadget are fun and not too deep.

’xactly. That, I believe, is the precise role they were designed to occupy – and a perfectly cromulent role it is.

• ;)

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Many. Synthmaster today.

• edited February 2018

@u0421793
    Cromulent! Word of the Day! Month!

Synthmaster Player is the master here, especially if you delve into the many many available IAP banks.

Nanologue like FM Player is free, and there are some aftermarket banks to be had. It has a real synth GUI unlike the players, but it’s simple and inviting. Another way to go is those synths that are almost infinitely tweakable but ship with 100s of presets...Virsyn Tera, Crystal Synth XT, and others fit this category. You can ignore the params and wander among the presets for weeks. As @JohnnyGoodyear put it there’s many. So many, we live as synth kings in ios

• edited February 2018

I always reach for Animoog. Tweak a preset or use the random button. It’s a pretty simple synth to program and just sounds amazing.

And then the default synths in Gadget. As people have said.

And Alchemy.

Who needs anything else?

• @u0421793 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The default ones in Gadget are fun and not too deep.

’xactly. That, I believe, is the precise role they were designed to occupy – and a perfectly cromulent role it is.

Exactly, and given the defaults aren’t beefy synths, you can layer them any way you like to embiggen your sound in unique and inspiring ways.

• FM Player is a ROMpler.

• I often come back to NS1. Simple, but fun to use, and surprisingly versatile.

• @CracklePot said:
    Poison 202 has great presets for days. Once you get through them all, it is easy to program more. It does most types of synth sounds fairly well.

+1 Nice Preset Bank by Jakob Haq demonstrates that this is an very versatile synth - and as CracklePot says - easy to pick up the programming basics.

• @philowerx said:
    FM Player is a ROMpler.

But isn’t a sample-based synth with non-editable samples exactly what a ROMpler is?

• @CracklePot said:

@philowerx said:
    FM Player is a ROMpler.

But isn’t a sample-based synth with non-editable samples exactly what a ROMpler is?

If the samples are read only and not editable by definition it's a ROMpler. The ROM in ROMpler stands for Read Only Memory. KORG iM1 is also a ROMpler.

• @philowerx said:

@CracklePot said:

@philowerx said:
    FM Player is a ROMpler.

If the samples are read only and not editable by definition it's a ROMpler. The ROM in ROMpler stands for Read Only Memory. KORG iM1 is also a ROMpler.

If the oscillator is sampled, and not editable, then the synth could be considered a ROMpler? That makes a lot of iOS synths actually ROMplers.
    It’s kind of funny, when people say ROMpler, it is usually taken as a negative term, implying lack of control and tweak-ability, but many may be using ROMplers and not realize it.

• @ageezz said:

@CracklePot said:
    Poison 202 has great presets for days. Once you get through them all, it is easy to program more. It does most types of synth sounds fairly well.

+1 Nice Preset Bank by Jakob Haq demonstrates that this is an very versatile synth - and as CracklePot says - easy to pick up the programming basics.

++1 on Jacob's presets. That Bhudron patch has sizzle. Run that through BandShift for an infinite array of cymbals...

• edited February 2018

iM-1 isn’t a ROMpler, it’s a PCM synth (patches use samples, and combination/stacks of samples for oscillators, and are user-writable). Don’t let the “ROM cards” in the presets bank menu (like the ones in the wave sequencer synth iWavestion) fool you.

• Pulse Code's Rhythm

• Many of us used to use the term ‘rompler’ for any of the early pcm synths as they held their short waves in ROM. Only later on did they make the samples longer and some started taking away many of the synthesis control in other areas of the synths. It’s a fine line even between synths such as the DW8000 and other hybrid analog / digital synths and synths that started adding waves beyond single cycle.

Yeah rompler became a term to put down some of the synths that became chock full with boring bread and butter sounds which came more in the era of the workstation synths.

• edited February 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Many of us used to use the term ‘rompler’ for any of the early pcm synths as they held their short waves in ROM. Only later on did they make the samples longer and some started taking away many of the synthesis control in other areas of the synths. It’s a fine line even between synths such as the DW8000 and other hybrid analog / digital synths and synths that started adding waves beyond single cycle.

Yeah rompler became a term to put down some of the synths that became chock full with boring bread and butter sounds which came more in the era of the workstation synths.

Funnily enough I’ve used “PCM” synth as a perjorative, when referring to the posse of PCMs that fills out the bulk of the non IAP Gadget roster...but given its multi-mode, multi-sample, multi-timbral, and writeable nature iM1 is a kingly PCM

• You wouldn’t want a TB-303 then – only two single cycle waveforms: sawtooth and pulse, with no way of editing those.

• edited February 2018

@u0421793 said:
    You wouldn’t want a TB-303 then – only two single cycle waveforms: sawtooth and pulse, with no way of editing those.

I’m very cool with single cycle sample players (my favs S_nV_x and BM3 have those) but the 303 doesn’t play single cycle samples, it had an actual oscillator, a sawtooth generator, and a waveshaping transistor to make a square wave from the saw...

• edited February 2018

@Littlewoodg said:

@u0421793 said:
    You wouldn’t want a TB-303 then – only two single cycle waveforms: sawtooth and pulse, with no way of editing those.

I’m very cool with single cycle sample players (my favs S_nV_x and BM3 have those) but the 303 doesn’t play single cycle samples, it had an actual oscillator, a sawtooth generator, and a waveshaping transistor to make a square wave from the saw...

I didn’t say samples, it plays a single cycle waveform – from a choice of two of them.
    Wave shaping transistor? Basically a switching transistor, set to switch about halfway down the sawtooth, or beyond (plus a peculiar resonant ringing which gives the TB-303 squarewave a bit of sawtooth-y shape to it because of overshoot and subsequent attenuation into the excursion).