Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - February 2018

Comments

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@studs1966 said:
    Here's my Feb contribution guys......... Two Mixes of the same song...........

Enjoy!....... ;)

well, I read Richard's comment about the vocal pitch, so I was listening for it. :) I noticed it more on the house mix than the disco. I think I prefer the disco mix as well. they both sounds good though, excellent mix as always, nice work!

Cheers. Just had a re listen. Yes the house mix needs another go. My bad. :(

• edited February 2018

Hi, I made this song last weekend and I like it, musically speaking that is....but the lyrics...hmm....I don’t know ;). But the music is the most important to me, and I think the voice adds, whatever the words are.

• @richardyot said:
    A new experience for me, posting my track at the start of the month and not the end. Even weirder, I'm working on my song for March at the start of February...

Very prompt Skipper. Can only suppose the builders have at least finished your posh new soundproofed booth and thus some singing can recommence.

I like all of the music on this, very relaxed and confident at the same time. Smooth. Particular props for the early guitar and the late organ. Overall comment on the vocal would be its feels as though it might be ten per cent too soft in the EQ. OR it might be that the reverb/whatever sends it that same 10 per percent further back. I can hear it plenty well enough, but it feels just a little furry (technical etc). I would like you to be closer to the front of the stage. Critically, I think I would also like (somehow) more distinction between the chorus and the verses. Maybe that's melodic or some other trick of emphasis (harmony?). Despite all that, it's good to have you back in song saddle!

• @rickwaugh said:
    @richardyot, thanks for the explain. @bluepunk, the two little blondes could have been a new version of Donny and Marie. Music again recycles itself. @richardyot, thanks for the review. I know what you mean, watching someone is always fascinating to me, as long as it’s well done. I want to try to up my game on my art and videos, because it’s fun, and it might actually entice more people to watch. @AndyPlankton, lol, I know that Rush piece well. I’m definitely influenced by old music, Andy and @Shaken&;Stirred. I keep thinking I’m not, people keep hearing it.

@JohnnyGoodyear, I love spaces and pauses in instrumental music. Not good for dance music, but listening music, it makes the piece way more interesting, I think. It’s almost always present in classical.

The video: This is referred to on the web as the “Apple” look, as they often do the white backgrounds for their commericals. I built a 10’ by 6’ frame out of PVC tubing, and hung a white sheet on it. I bought two photography lights, quite cheap on Amazon. They are focussed on the sheet, quite close, from either side. I then sit in front of where the lights shine. The iPhone is focussed on me, so adjusts its light to make me viewable, which causes the light on the white sheet to wash out, giving me that “glowing in space” effect. Everything else, cutting and transitions, is Lumafusion. Whole set up was only a couple of hundred Canuck.

Thanks much for the explanation Mister Rick!

• On the plains of hesitation by Infinity Stairs. Some Korg minilogue, eurorack, Juno 106, guitar through a boss analog phaser pedal, Gadget for Mac plugins in Ableton Live, drums through Goodhertz Vulf Compressor, some tape warble and drift from Goodhertz WOW Control plugin.

• @Marcel said:
    Hi, I made this song last weekend and I like it, musically speaking that is....but the lyrics...hmm....I don’t know ;). But the music is the most important to me, and I think the voice adds, whatever the words are.

Sounds really nice, good instrumentation, great playing, particularly like the lead guitar sound.
    As for the lyrics......Well, I don't know :D

• @trackedout Hated the off tune slide to start with, after a couple of listens it sort of makes sense......some bits are still a bit harsh though. Vocal is great. Love the overall idea and sound, just those really off notes are making me wince LOL :D

• @gburks said:
    On the plains of hesitation by Infinity Stairs. Some Korg minilogue, eurorack, Juno 106, guitar through a boss analog phaser pedal, Gadget for Mac plugins in Ableton Live, drums through Goodhertz Vulf Compressor, some tape warble and drift from Goodhertz WOW Control plugin.

Had me expecting an 80's crime drama to appear on screen. On the plains of hesitation... it did feel like it wanted to take off, but was holding back, the hesitation in the title perhaps ?

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started in Groove Rider, this past Christmas, right after Groove Rider dropped. I hadn't even figured out how to change the key yet, so this is in C-Major. I came up with a bass and a couple synth parts I liked in GR-16 before our green and red enchilada Christmas dinner was out of the oven. Then I discovered MV08 which updated at the same time and got some press in the forum. I built up the drums in MV08, brought it all into BM3, to mess with, and then finished in Auria.

I hope Lemmy and the rest of the rock gods will forgive me for writing a tune in a major key, and without any guitars. (a first for me!)

The paint on my brush doesn’t know where to flow

Well. I think we've all been there...

After thinking of various others to compare your 'sound' to, I've decided I just like your own distinctive self. As seems to be a bit of a theme (is two a theme?) I would like to hear EITHER the verse or the chorus sung in a more modulated (softer? less declarative?) style. And while we're critiquing, might just be me but She spins round sounds just a tad off-key...but two extra bonus points for rhyming planned and crayons :)

• Have been getting some kindly ribbing for writing too-short songs so I was determined to do the full four minutes this month :) Lyrics were shared on a thread here a while back (can't seem to find it now), but I kept a copy. The mutated end result is in the spoiler.

Sometimes we write with a very particular purpose in mind, a story or a point, but then sometimes it seems the words only become filled up and real once you begin to sing them and thereafter figure out what they meant all along. It is very obvious to me now that my Walker Percy (not the American author from Covington, Louisiana, whose interests included philosophy and semiotics but instead some form of doppelgänger ) is a man who's good enough to know his bad true self and is trying to make peace with that. For some of us this is a familiar predicament..

Walker Percy

He was not wild
    nor was he angry
    just simply scared of what he was
    out alone and walking
    he felt better just because
    out and walking alone
    he felt better
    just because

He'd say:
    A man can kill another man
    for breathing in one room
    a woman can take your heart out
    and she can break it pretty soon
    but here in the world and walking
    I feel safe from who I am
    one day far beyond myself
    I may become a better man

Walker Percy was a blood red boy
    his bones they lived out loud
    and if he'd had himself a mother
    she surely would been proud

A man can kill another man
    for breathing in one room
    a woman can take your heart right out
    she can break it pretty soon
    but here in the world I'm walking
    I feel safe from who I am
    and one fine day beyond myself
    I may become a better man

And he'd say:
    I can kill another man
    for breathing in my room...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    This one started in Groove Rider, this past Christmas, right after Groove Rider dropped. I hadn't even figured out how to change the key yet, so this is in C-Major. I came up with a bass and a couple synth parts I liked in GR-16 before our green and red enchilada Christmas dinner was out of the oven. Then I discovered MV08 which updated at the same time and got some press in the forum. I built up the drums in MV08, brought it all into BM3, to mess with, and then finished in Auria.

I hope Lemmy and the rest of the rock gods will forgive me for writing a tune in a major key, and without any guitars. (a first for me!)

After thinking of various others to compare your 'sound' to, I've decided I just like your own distinctive self. As seems to be a bit of a theme (is two a theme?) I would like to hear EITHER the verse or the chorus sung in a more modulated (softer? less declarative?) style. And while we're critiquing, might just be me but She spins round sounds just a tad off-key...but two extra bonus points for rhyming planned and crayons :)

thanks man, my own distinctive sound, I'll gladly accept that! I've played in a few cover bands and never felt I was very good at sounding like whomever we were covering. REM, Petty and Mellencamp were probably the closest..

but yeah, I appreciate your suggestions. @richardyot made a similar comment about the desired "softness" of the verses, and @rickwaugh also was shaken but the "She spins round" line. If I every release this "for real" on an EP/LP, I will definitely fix the "she spins round" part, that's an easy one and I agree with your comment. The singing softly bit is a taller order for me, but I do think that is a very good suggestion. More than likely I'd record an entirely new version with guitars! thanks again!

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

thanks man, my own distinctive sound, I'll gladly accept that! I've played in a few cover bands and never felt I was very good at sounding like whomever we were covering. REM, Petty and Mellencamp were probably the closest..

but yeah, I appreciate your suggestions. @richardyot made a similar comment about the desired "softness" of the verses, and @rickwaugh also was shaken but the "She spins round" line. If I every release this "for real" on an EP/LP, I will definitely fix the "she spins round" part, that's an easy one and I agree with your comment. The singing softly bit is a taller order for me, but I do think that is a very good suggestion. More than likely I'd record an entirely new version with guitars! thanks again!

I completely hear you about going back (as and when) and doing The Version of songs. That's one of the things I love most about this cosa nostra....you find out (for yourself, and let's be fair, we always know) if there's a song there and then you get a few areas of consideration (from others) which either illuminate or confirm etc.

As for softer; this song would be a perfect work-out room for trying that. Just lock yourself away with the verse and sing it as dispiritedly as you can manage and then dial it back up a bit :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

I completely hear you about going back (as and when) and doing The Version of songs. That's one of the things I love most about this cosa nostra....you find out (for yourself, and let's be fair, we always know) if there's a song there and then you get a few areas of consideration (from others) which either illuminate or confirm etc.

As for softer; this song would be a perfect work-out room for trying that. Just lock yourself away with the verse and sing it as dispiritedly as you can manage and then dial it back up a bit :)

ha... it's not unusual for your posts to send me to Google, but the "Sicilian Mafia"? I had no idea... watch for it's reference in an upcoming SOTMC submission!
    you're right about the vocal exercise, now that the phrasing and melody are all worked out, I could put all my focus on the delivery. this reminds me, I recorded the chorus vocals in two halves, not signing it all the way through each take. Now I'm trying to prep it to play live with my acoustic, and I've found there is absolutely no where to breathe in that chorus! another reminder that I still have a lot to learn.

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:

ha... it's not unusual for your posts to send me to Google, but the "Sicilian Mafia"? I had no idea... watch for it's reference in an upcoming SOTMC submission!
    you're right about the vocal exercise, now that the phrasing and melody are all worked out, I could put all my focus on the delivery. this reminds me, I recorded the chorus vocals in two halves, not signing it all the way through each take. Now I'm trying to prep it to play live with my acoustic, and I've found there is absolutely no where to breathe in that chorus! another reminder that I still have a lot to learn.

I was married to a certain amount of mobness at one point and I always weirdly liked the threatening simplicity of that phrase our thing....

• @AndyPlankton yeah sorry about that.. you either love or hate my music I'm not a perfectionist and all my songs show. But I'm hoping this practice will lead to effortless recording in the future since I'm having less mistakes everything cause I listen to past mistakes and I learn what I don't want to do more.... I don't know or I just don't care !!! I appreciate your input. Helps me a lot in my solo practice

• @richardyot hello mate, love the production on this, u might hate this, but I’m hearing a lot of Foreigner here....eeek....steps back...waits for imminent bitch slap! :D
    Nice catchy chorus and dark synth bits. I really enjoyed it.

• @bluepunk U sir crack me up! This is all a bit over my head as I was always more the “Jolly Fucker!” With the dodgy home bleached hair........and the pretty girls :p :D

• @rickwaugh Well mate, your video had me quite honestly mesmerised! I envy your talent sir. What a lovely complex but engaging piece of music. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the video was great aswell. There’s nothing wrong with things taking a while to get done...the key is just that they get done. There’s nothing worse than just having a whole memory drive full of unfinished ideas.
    Great stuff mate :)

• @studs1966 Ello mate, soooo out of the two, the disco mix is champ by far for me, you’ve done a great job with it. :)

On the house mix however,the vocal sounds off, like it’s a slightly different key to the music and it just didn’t sit well in my ears. Sorry mate.

I hope that’s of some use to you buddy.

• @Shaken&;Stirred Lots to like hear mate, the music is bright,quirky and cool, much like the lyrics. They are awesome and create good imagery. Nice one buddy :)

• edited February 2018

@LostBoy85, wow, thanks kindly. Mesmerised works for me. :)

• @Marcel, I can’t make out the words every well, but I also like the song a lot. Very nicely recorded and mixed. It’s got a great feel to it, start to end. Brilliant electric guitar sound.

• @trackedout, that’s a great mix. Love what you did with the guitar sounds and your voice, to position everything so nicely. I also like the wandery, punky quality of the guitar. That being said, it was a bit unrelenting, and could use some kind of a break somewhere.

• Sooo....you guys are all gonna hate this...I just know it... :D BUT, look at it this way, I have brought an AMAZING female vocalist to the forum!! So every cloud...yadi yada! :p

This is a song that I have just finished writing with the glorious Shevaun. We sing loads of stuff on the Smule karaoke app and decided to write our own 80’s style duet, complete with cheesy lyrics and snares you could land a plane on!

I know you won’t like it...but I take comfort in the fact that the girls LOVE IT..sooo :p
    All thoughts are welcome!

• @gburks, excellent tune. Had me sitting here doing the head bob, moves really well, nice breaks/changes at the right time. Mix is excellent. Reminds me a bit of Alan Parsons project with some of the sounds and arrangement.

• @JohnnyGoodyear, only complaint is that it was too long.
    :D
    Okay, kidding. Well, that was disturbing, in a very cool way. Dark, both from the video, and in the dolorous piano, and the vocal styling. Very powerful. I like the starkness - I don’t know if you could have added anything to that at all without seriously changing the feel.

Hopefully you wanted it dark and disturbing. If not, oh dear. :wink:

• @rickwaugh said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear, only complaint is that it was too long.
    :D
    Okay, kidding. Well, that was disturbing, in a very cool way. Dark, both from the video, and in the dolorous piano, and the vocal styling. Very powerful. I like the starkness - I don’t know if you could have added anything to that at all without seriously changing the feel.

Hopefully you wanted it dark and disturbing. If not, oh dear. :wink:

I wanted it honest once I found it and it mostly feels that way. Trying to hide less this year :) Thanks for the note.

• @LostBoy85 said:
    @studs1966 Ello mate, soooo out of the two, the disco mix is champ by far for me, you’ve done a great job with it. :)

On the house mix however,the vocal sounds off, like it’s a slightly different key to the music and it just didn’t sit well in my ears. Sorry mate.

I hope that’s of some use to you buddy.

Hi @LostBoy85 I haven't seen you on the forum for ages matey. Glad to see you back. Yep your absolutely correct. Think I'm gonna delete the "Deep House Mix" I'm gonna have to do a rewrite. ;)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Sooo....you guys are all gonna hate this...I just know it... :D BUT, look at it this way, I have brought an AMAZING female vocalist to the forum!! So every cloud...yadi yada! :p

This is a song that I have just finished writing with the glorious Shevaun. We sing loads of stuff on the Smule karaoke app and decided to write our own 80’s style duet, complete with cheesy lyrics and snares you could land a plane on!

I know you won’t like it...but I take comfort in the fact that the girls LOVE IT..sooo :p
    All thoughts are welcome!

Dear David,

You have broken my heart. How could you sing with another woman so soon? Goodbye.

Thereza

PS. Shevaun eh? Nice for you.

PPS. Jason is more of a man than you’ll ever be. :)