Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cheap but good headphones. Please share experiences.

As a response to the thread of the super cheap and awesome sounding earbuds
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23935/psa-super-cheap-and-awesome-sounding-earbuds/
and the mixed response. I think it's maybe a good time to discuss and share experiences of cheap and great sounding headphones in general. Looking at the top a mentioned earlier I got the impression that there's really interest in the cheap and good earphones. That said sound is also a very personal thing, and also what you are used to. In my eyes (studio) headphones have to be neutral this especially because you probably use them for mixing purposes

My experience as a long time user of Beyer Dynamics headphones I still use my DT1770 is that there's a jump in good sounding on for a (ultra) low budget. Here's some of my findings.
First of a little more expensive headphones by a brand that is very popular with people I know Audio Technica. The most popular model is the M50x though I think for studio purposes (neutral sound) the M40x is better. Build quality is great. But you have to drop $99 for it

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54

Okay now to the real Budget stuff
$32.80 Samson SR850. Very light headphones with great fit and a shocking good sound for the price. I find the highs a little bit sharp but overal it is big value for the money. Note that you also have Headphones by Superlux (681 evo $42.99) that are more or less the same (Superlux is OEM) but somehow there's more bass in it. So this comes down the personal taste.

Samson SR850
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Semi-Open-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS

Superlux HD 681 evo
https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD681EVO-B-HD-681-Black/dp/B00CAG1ZAQ

Furthermore I notice that a kind of "cheap" China brands also develop very rapid. One example is the Sound Intone CX-05 for $22.95. It has a great quality build and they sound good for general purposed. In my eyes a little bit too much bass, but they compare really good to the Sony MDR-7506 which go around $100

Sound Intone CX-05
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Intone-CX-05-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B01BY9612G

If you have suggestion for other great but cheap and enormous value for the money headphones please respond. Of course bad experience with cheap headphones are also welcome :)

Comments

• I used to own the Sony MDR-7506 and while they sounded amazing they really hurt after a while. Found a variant consumer one Sony V6 or something where the exact same headphones but don’t know if they still sell those. I wonder what is the most comparable cans to those Sonys but perhaps bigger to fit more comfortably.

• Best price quality Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones 20 bucks at Amazon. Also read the reviews, nobody can beat that price

• @mannix said:
    Best price quality Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones 20 bucks at Amazon. Also read the reviews, nobody can beat that price

Would you really buy headphones from that clown?

• @soundklinik said:

@mannix said:
    Best price quality Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones 20 bucks at Amazon. Also read the reviews, nobody can beat that price

You know this guy personally?

• @mannix said:

@soundklinik said:

@mannix said:

I don’t need to, just look at the presentation of it. It’s a joke, no information whatsoever on the actual product.
    And that is supposed to be a professional salesman? Can you imagine Sweetwater doing that type of product introduction?

• @soundklinik said:

@mannix said:

@soundklinik said:

@mannix said:

I don’t need to, just look at the presentation of it. It’s a joke, no information whatsoever on the actual product.
    And that is supposed to be a professional salesman? Can you imagine Sweetwater doing that type of product introduction?

Get your point. Just picked the video to give a video impression of the headphones.
    btw which "serious" company wants to promote headphones that eat sales of much more expensive stuff?

But check out the customers reviews at Sweetwater of this thing
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HPS3000

• @mannix , yes, who would waste time on video introducing $20 cans?

Sweetwater customers rate them good, (on the average.) Actually I am surprised how old they are, I thought it was a new(ish) product.

They seem to be alright.

• edited February 2018

I've dusted off my superlux HD 668B and they do sound pretty well.

• @supadom said:
    I've dusted off my superlux HD 668B and they do sound pretty well.

Thanks!

• Some guy on gearslutz was raving about 5 dollar Ecko earbuds. Swore they gave him mixes that translate everywhere. Haven’t tried them yet

• Also Superlux HD681EVO, super satisfied with them.

• edited October 2018

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I used to own the Sony MDR-7506 and while they sounded amazing they really hurt after a while. Found a variant consumer one Sony V6 or something where the exact same headphones but don’t know if they still sell those. I wonder what is the most comparable cans to those Sonys but perhaps bigger to fit more comfortably.

I got some of these years ago on recommendation from Gearslutz, Ive tested a few more expensive ones since and...eh...They are near my upper level of hearing acuity. Only things I thought were like 10% better were 3x the money. I have two sets now, one at my desk and one by the guitar/ synth rack.

• I sport these Koss Porta Pro. They’re the cheapest and best headphones i ever had. Seriously.

https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/porta-pro

• Any recommendations for good (and cheap) open-ear headphones for iOS for mixing?

• I owned the Sony MDR-V7 (a kind of 7506 grandfather)...Great sound, but I ended with my ears black coloured because the cans. Very expensive replacements. Fortunately, the Beyerdynamics ones fit ok.

• Superlux HD 668B

• edited October 2018

@ALB said:
    Any recommendations for good (and cheap) open-ear headphones for iOS for mixing?

Koss KSC35 - these earclip Headphones are ravely reviewed for their sound quality vs price.

• @MobileMusic said:

@ALB said:
    Any recommendations for good (and cheap) open-ear headphones for iOS for mixing?

Koss KSC35 - these earclip Headphones are ravely reviewed for their sound quality vs price.

The look dirt cheap with a sort of throw away 80s look. But as in most cases looks can be deceiving :)

• @MobileMusic said:

@ALB said:

Interesting- thanks!

• edited October 2018

At $16, these Betron YSM1000's are my new favorite ear buds. Probably not good for mixing, but overall sound for just tracking and jamming around on the iPhone/iPad is amazing. Loud, deep and rich bass, and extremely clear with no mud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S2P0M1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• edited October 2018

@greengrocer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@ALB said:

The look dirt cheap with a sort of throw away 80s look. But as in most cases looks can be deceiving :)

Yes, In this case, looks are deceiving :smile: But sound quality is great! They are open back and offer soundstage.

• edited October 2018

Lots of great recommendations on this site: https://audiobudget.com

For 20$, I’m blown away by both the NICEHCK bro (thought they are ugly - try getting one of the rebrands) and the memt x5. (Neither has a scooped sound - they have tons of midrange detail. To me the X5 sound a bit gentler, less in your face in the mids and highs. The bro have better (but not overwhelming) sub bass extension.)

For 5$, the ve monk plus are ridiculously good. (If they were more comfortable, they would be ridiculously good, period.) They aren’t as high on my recommendation list becaus they desperately need a headphone amp. (I use a nameless usb stick with a 24 bit ess Sabre chip; cost me 29$. Worth the investment with any headphones I’ve tried; but the night and day difference it makes for the monk plus is unlike anything I’ve experienced with other phones.)