Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget update > transport controls

Heads up Korg has opened up some of the transport controls to be midi learn/mappable now. Maybe they're working on the rest of the mixer too : :o

Comments

• edited February 2018

How do you map them?
    Édit: just found transport cc in general menu.

• It is a lovely thing to be able to turn that pesky metronome off at will....

• That is VERY cool!

• Great news. I don't have to rebuilding my nanokontrol into foot switcher :wink:

• Nanokontrol 2 got this feature at some point, think you have to enable it on the main settings from the home screen. Scroll down and settings for individual apps will appear.

This controller also has takeover mode for ielectribe, makes the app feel like hardware for very little money!

• Halefuckinglooya!! At loooong last, great, great news! I havent used Gadget in a while but this was sooooooo necessary for so long, for intergrating it into a wider iOS frame work. i may return to Gadget soon now. I could live without much of the interapp intergration thats missing with this feature. I hope other MIDI bugs have been sorted too.

Pattern doubling would be the most awesome simple extra feature as well.

• This is pretty great. A couple years too late, but I’m still quite happy to have it.

• Would be nice to have these displayed at top when full screen in gadget.
    Not possible yet correct?

• @Calverhall said:
    Halefuckinglooya!! At loooong last, great, great news! I havent used Gadget in a while but this was sooooooo necessary for so long, for intergrating it into a wider iOS frame work. i may return to Gadget soon now. I could live without much of the interapp intergration thats missing with this feature. I hope other MIDI bugs have been sorted too.

I don't follow on pattern doubling. I think you can already do that.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Calverhall said:
    Halefuckinglooya!! At loooong last, great, great news! I havent used Gadget in a while but this was sooooooo necessary for so long, for intergrating it into a wider iOS frame work. i may return to Gadget soon now. I could live without much of the interapp intergration thats missing with this feature. I hope other MIDI bugs have been sorted too.

What you mean by pattern doubling? Make it twice as long? Maybe play two copies at once? Please elaborate...

• I seem to be in the minority but I’m quite happy using the onboard controls. It is such a compact and screen friendly package that taking the hand away from the screen to tap play on a separate box feels like too much. They must have been requested this a lot though so what do I know.

• @CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Calverhall said:

What you mean by pattern doubling? Make it twice as long? Maybe play two copies at once? Please elaborate...

Instead of making the bar length longer with the new bars being blank, you double the length so it loops what was there already. So from 1 bar to 2, or 2 bars to 4 etc, and then you can have say a 1 bar loop with a 4 bar modulation. This would be soooo useful for live improvisation. Im pretty sure it isn’t a feature yet. It is however available in Ableton.

• @supadom said:
    I seem to be in the minority but I’m quite happy using the onboard controls. It is such a compact and screen friendly package that taking the hand away from the screen to tap play on a separate box feels like too much. They must have been requested this a lot though so what do I know.

Its fine mostly just not great if you want to control gadget off screen in conjunction with other apps.

• @Calverhall said:

@CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Calverhall said:

Instead of making the bar length longer with the new bars being blank, you double the length so it loops what was there already. So from 1 bar to 2, or 2 bars to 4 etc, and then you can have say a 1 bar loop with a 4 bar modulation. This would be soooo useful for live improvisation. Im pretty sure it isn’t a feature yet. It is however available in Ableton.

Good news, it's been updated since you last used it. In the pianoroll you'll find a little circle with a plus sign. Hold that to get a copy paste function. Above that there's a new pattern segment loop control too and double tapping on the pattern timeline will start pattern play at the desired start time making sequencing pretty much complete.

• edited February 2018

Wow that’s pretty hidden! But yes excellent! I’m about to go to bed so won’t be testing it out just now (or probably until Monday) but wow wow! That is two great improvements, at least potentially as the Copy over function is a little fiddly an idea but I’ll have to test drive it and see.

But to be perhaps a little greedy...

Can Gadget save changes to MIDI maps to project files yet?

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Calverhall said:

@CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Calverhall said:

Good news, it's been updated since you last used it. In the pianoroll you'll find a little circle with a plus sign. Hold that to get a copy paste function. Above that there's a new pattern segment loop control too and double tapping on the pattern timeline will start pattern play at the desired start time making sequencing pretty much complete.

Gosh that is small (on the 12.9 anyway). Grateful for the pencil thingie, but a nice tip.

• Wow nice tip thanks.

• edited February 2018

lots of things are small on a 12" pro :D

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    lots of things are small on a 12" pro :D

I use Gadget exclusively on my iPhone 8, so.... :p

• well...anything else or that's it?I wish i could share the excitement...

• @Crabman said:
    well...anything else or that's it?I wish i could share the excitement...

Depends I guess. If you've been persecuted by the raucous metronome these many years the ability to turn it on and off at will without menu diving is a certified benefit etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Crabman said:
    well...anything else or that's it?I wish i could share the excitement...

Depends I guess. If you've been persecuted by the raucous metronome these many years the ability to turn it on and off at will without menu diving is a certified benefit etc.

you are right of course but i do wonder what small 1-people "teams" (hello brambos) can do in the same time that korg needs to implement a "metronome on/off" function.I know,that was a bit exaggerated but u know what i mean ;)

Don't listen to me,i'm just disappointed that there is still no simple midi out to drive external apps/hardware.

• Any other Nanokey Studio users here? Seems a few months back the "Chord Pads" function was completely rubbish, I mean just torture to play. I gave it a test yesterday and it seems legit now. I'm pretty certain I'm not imagining this, but I think there's more Midi improvements going on in the new update than we realise.

• Be interested when this Ableton Link stop start functionally hits to see if Gadget joins that party. Ableton 10 is out proper this week so we may see the Link update.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Any other Nanokey Studio users here? Seems a few months back the "Chord Pads" function was completely rubbish, I mean just torture to play. I gave it a test yesterday and it seems legit now. I'm pretty certain I'm not imagining this, but I think there's more Midi improvements going on in the new update than we realise.

Forgive my sluggishness, you mean in Gadget? I have a Studio thingie and a newly revitalized interest in Gadget (hello Auxy subscription). and am due to be making a couple of long transatlantic trips over the next few months so this could be interesting as I love how the Studio just gets thrown in the bag so easily and lives forever on a few triple A batteries BUT am intimidated by the way Gadget seems to eat power however....

• edited February 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Be interested when this Ableton Link stop start functionally hits to see if Gadget joins that party. Ableton 10 is out proper this week so we may see the Link update.

I'm thinking it might be a while before we see this new Link on iOS. Would be absolutely delighted to be wrong here. My thoughts are based on some observations

There is no mention of Link 2 in the new features list, maybe they decided it was already too long!

I posted a thread about this and only one developer (quantum sequencer) seemed to be seriously looking at it at this point in time.

Developers would most likely have to own an Ableton 9 license and be already beta testing v10 to get their hands on it.

Link v2 beta may extend beyond Feb 6th, the fact that it's not on the list means that nobody can complain if it doesn't appear on day 1.

I can imagine that they are extremely busy with final preparations for launch day, I can't get the latest beta to crash even using extreme setups that would make no sense in music making. Looks like Feb 6 will be the release day and the team will be free to work on this soon after.

Getting back on topic Korg have a good history of implementing the Ableton stuff swiftly. I'm pretty sure they were the first iOS devs to add Ableton Project Export?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Be interested when this Ableton Link stop start functionally hits to see if Gadget joins that party. Ableton 10 is out proper this week so we may see the Link update.

I'm thinking it might be a while before we see this new Link on iOS. Would be absolutely delighted to be wrong here. My thoughts are based on some observations

There is no mention of Link 2 in the new features list, maybe they decided it was already too long!

I posted a thread about this and only one developer (quantum sequencer) seemed to be seriously looking at it at this point in time.

Developers would most likely have to own an Ableton 9 license and be already beta testing v10 to get their hands on it.

Link v2 beta may extend beyond Feb 6th, the fact that it's not on the list means that nobody can complain if it doesn't appear on day 1.

I can imagine that they are extremely busy with final preparations for launch day, I can't get the latest beta to crash even using extreme setups that would make no sense in music making. Looks like Feb 6 will be the release day and the team will be free to work on this soon after.

Getting back on topic Korg have a good history of implementing the Ableton stuff swiftly. I'm pretty sure they were the first iOS devs to add Ableton Project Export?

I'm using Ableton Lite thanks to Korg. Can't/won't shell out 400 for the Essentials. Anyway it's nice that Korg gives you the live project export AND a license to the Lite version which is actually worth $100 and works amazingly well if you know how to use it.

• Give it time @LucidMusicInc!

The attraction of Suite gets seriously powerful once you find yourself comfortable with Lite and begin to hit the limitations

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Give it time @LucidMusicInc!

The attraction of Suite gets seriously powerful once you find yourself comfortable with Lite and begin to hit the limitations

8 tracks and 16 scenes. I've hit it a few times already.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Any other Nanokey Studio users here? Seems a few months back the "Chord Pads" function was completely rubbish, I mean just torture to play. I gave it a test yesterday and it seems legit now. I'm pretty certain I'm not imagining this, but I think there's more Midi improvements going on in the new update than we realise.

Forgive my sluggishness, you mean in Gadget? I have a Studio thingie and a newly revitalized interest in Gadget (hello Auxy subscription). and am due to be making a couple of long transatlantic trips over the next few months so this could be interesting as I love how the Studio just gets thrown in the bag so easily and lives forever on a few triple A batteries BUT am intimidated by the way Gadget seems to eat power however....

Keep your iPad on airplane mode with redundancies like Link and background audio off and you can extend your battery life a little. Using the big consumers like Odyssey and the Romplers sparingly in tracks can also minimise the cpu load.